• 51 results
Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
#1 Edited by holycrapitsadam (691 posts) -

Has anyone else noticed that Giantbomb has been on sort or a retro kick lately? With Jeff's gaming from home show, Alex's Blue Bombin', Vinny's Castlevania series and more recently Vinny and Dan's Contra run, and now we have a GBE play date for Super Mario Bros 2.

Are they trying to set themselves apart from all the other streamers out there who play the latest and greatest by delving back into the 80's and 90's?

I'm not against it necessarily, just an observation I had and was curious if anyone else noticed the same thing?

Is this a sign of things to come and the direction this website is going to go in a couple years?

#2 Posted by Johnny_Sailor (118 posts) -

I'm the same age as the older GB team members, so I grew up playing the same systems. I'm all for this look back at older games.

I actually wish they'd have a retro gaming premium podcast that goes over these games, their experiences with them at the time, and the importance of the big name games to the industry and modern gaming.

#3 Edited by Rafaelfc (2243 posts) -

I love all Giant Bomb's old game content, would love if they had a steady main studio old games feature (bring back The Old Games Show or start a podcast).

Nothing against Jeff's home streams but they do suffer a bit from Jeff not having anyone to bounce off of.

#4 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

They've unfortunately always done that though.

#5 Posted by ascagnel (173 posts) -

It kind of makes sense -- this time of year tends to be slow for new releases, so they can go back and play some old games they love to create some new #content.

#6 Posted by forteexe21 (2019 posts) -

Jeff always plays old games.

#7 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

@johnny_sailor: I'm around the same age as well. I've been on a retro RPG kick with non-RPGs from the era interspersed. Sometimes it's nice to go back and see what you missed or see the games from a new perspective.

#8 Posted by sammo21 (5962 posts) -

The thing that I've noticed is that GBE is really the only part of the site consistently churning out video content no matter the subject, lol.

#9 Posted by Fugoy (107 posts) -

I'm holding off on the hope that Yakuza 0 starts this week and they just haven't put it on the upcoming release yet

#10 Posted by Mikemcn (8565 posts) -

@fugoy said:

I'm holding off on the hope that Yakuza 0 starts this week and they just haven't put it on the upcoming release yet

That would be great.

I lack the nostalgia to care much about most of the old game coverage on the site. I'd love to see more coverage of games like Elite or Astroneer or Hitman (which just received a big update.)

#11 Posted by MeierTheRed (5879 posts) -

Is this a sign of things to come and the direction this website is going to go in a couple years?

No it wont. Giant Bomb has always covered whatever they wanted to cover. Retro games have been part of it for a very long time, and GB is still here.

@zevvion said:

They've unfortunately always done that though.

Fortunate for the people who like that content as well as the other regular stuff.

#12 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

I'm pretty sure there's a big enough demand for it. I see posts relatively frequently asking for old games show to come back and stuff. Jeff's insight into the games is fun as well. I love it.

#13 Posted by Inresurrection (462 posts) -

OLD VIDEO GAMES!

I'll take 'em. Some of my favourite features lately have been the Jeff Gerstmann Home Game. Seeing him completely confused watching the tutorial in Nitrous Oxide was fucking amazing. They just kept piling on systems and rules to the point of complete ridiculousness.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#14 Posted by hippie_genocide (2417 posts) -

I like old games to a point. Jeff goes back to the C64, and that stuff is a little hard to go back to for me since I don't have any nostalgia for it, but I see comments from others that really like it. I've genuinely enjoyed Vinnyvania, Blue Bombin', and This Is The Run though.

#15 Posted by dafdiego777 (299 posts) -

@fugoy: Yakuza 0 starts Monday (the 6th).

I'm guessing there just aren't a lot of hot new releases this time of the year.

#16 Edited by aphal (38 posts) -

It's been really bumming me out. I don't find watching someone play Megaman interesting at all. When Jeff digs into Atari or C64 games I stop watching, simply because the SFX in those games are unbearable in headphones.

If there was something transformative about the content, like "let's go over the history of this game or developer" and dig into how it works or why, maybe with an interview or the developer on the couch I would be super in to it. But the content right now has been extremely low-effort "I'm going to sit down and play a NES game!" That format really works with Demo Derby and Game Tapes because those are amazing time capsules and the pace is determined by the tape or disc.

Edit: This post is intended to be constructive feedback. I don't care whether the games are old or new, just that the videos are interesting.

#17 Posted by craigieh28 (90 posts) -

I'm increasingly convinviced that Jeff will eventually take the retro games curation route out of giant bomb. I can see him cultivating a retro / old games site to compliment the current games site of giant bomb, run by the fresh blood he decides to bring in...

#18 Posted by ripelivejam (13097 posts) -

it sets giant bomb apart for me. don't see those youtube whippersnappers touching old games with a ten foot pole!

as for gbe being the only one putting out content, uhh no? i guess everyone forgot about the surprise MGR playthrough that got secretly unleashed on us. it also seems like brad and jeff in particular have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy that vinny and co apparently don't so that probably takes a lot of time out of their day.

or they're lazy and hate their fans! whatevs.

#19 Posted by aphal (38 posts) -

it sets giant bomb apart for me. don't see those youtube whippersnappers touching old games with a ten foot pole!

Mega Man Let's Play and Contra Let's Play both return 11,000,000+ (yes, million) results on YouTube.

#20 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6423 posts) -
@aphal said:
@ripelivejam said:

Mega Man Let's Play and Contra Let's Play both return 11,000,000+ (yes, million) results on YouTube.

The Retro category on Twitch might not be super big but there are always streams of older games with folks watching because it's all centralized. You can go from watching SMB to some random obscure Japanese adventure game on the PS1 called Juggernaut.

#21 Posted by ripelivejam (13097 posts) -

@thephantomnaut: well then i don't know what the fuck this site is for. close it down!

#22 Posted by Humanity (18573 posts) -

I'm in the minority here that doesn't find it quite as entertaining. I mostly tune in for the banter, and sometimes even have the window minimized while I'm doing something else. As for Jeff's home show, well I generally tune out real quick because as someone mentioned, even the banter isn't there since Jeff is alone, and I'm not particularly interested in those oldies he boots up - at least not for how long he usually ends up playing each title. I do admire Jeff for being able to dive back into old stuff like that with the same passion that someone might explore some of the latest and greatest games out right now.

That said I've realized a long time ago that I don't HAVE TO like or watch every single thing GB spits out. I've progressively stopped watching UPFs and prefer to skip around the archive on the next day. Each time I attempt to listen to Jeff's Mixlr it's awful and I've just given up - it's fun when Alex is there and an actual conversation is taking place.

Only bummer is that the retro gaming has become a rather big cornerstone of the site, and if you're not super into it then it's a lot of content you start passing over. The Yakuza run oughta be fun so I'm looking forward to that, but I do hope that the next The Run series will be something a bit more modern, or at least more in my wheelhouse.

#23 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6423 posts) -
#24 Posted by chyler1397 (495 posts) -

I'd rather watch old games being played and discussed than new ones, to be honest. I've always preferred the games I grew up with in the 80s and 90s to today's crop. I guess I just like the simpler graphics and gameplay than how everything has to be ultra-realistic with tons of mechanics. The newer games I like tend to be modern installments of older series or ones that are retro-themed like Shovel Knight.

I love whenever Jeff turns into "encyclopedia mode" and spits knowledge about the old games. I've also been a long-time subscriber to Retro Gamer, so it all fits together.

#25 Posted by OurSin_360 (6117 posts) -

They've done this for years, honestly one of the core foundations of the site was the wiki for the database/history of all games

#26 Edited by WhatsHisFace (745 posts) -

...At least they are not making Hitman videos.

#27 Posted by cikame (2694 posts) -

It's nothing new, but with a second studio and the need to come up with regular features it's quite easy to boot up an old game where there isn't a need to get super involved, there's also the Let's Play culture of youtube where everyone rushes to play the latest and greatest games all at once, GB cover those games in the Quick Looks and sometimes elsewhere but there isn't a need to record tons of footage of those games, there are plenty of other people doing that already.
New games get covered, but in an industry rife with pre-release marketing pushes, betas (demos) and "Influencers", it's not all that interesting most of the time, that's where older games come in.

#28 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

I could listen to Jeff spit knowledge on old games for a good long time. It's interesting to me & it also recalls part of my childhood, although I'm also younger than Jeff so it's not all nostalgia. I never had an Atari, & obviously being British I had a Spectrum. Or my dad did, but I hi-jacked it. But I find the history of video games and their rapid progress very interesting so yeah, I am glad that Giant Bomb are continuing to have fun with old games on videos they upload to the site.

#29 Posted by Shindig (4831 posts) -

Jeff's videos seemed to overtake TOGS. It's damn enjoyable to see the classics being waxed lyrical. I mean, I spent most of my childhood knee-deep behind the times with hand-me-down home computers.

#30 Posted by lead_dispencer (534 posts) -

I feel everyone who has nastalgia for those older games. I grew up with ps1 and ps2 era so I naturally would love to see those eras of games.

I don't have a problem with the older content. It's just not grabbing my attention allll the time

#31 Posted by Fezrock (712 posts) -

I just wish there was more '90s FMV games in all this; surely Vinny hasn't played all of them already.

#32 Edited by Big_Denim (831 posts) -

@sammo21: Agreed. Not sure if they're just busy/focused on finding a Dan replacement or what but Vinny and Co. have really been carrying the video portion of the site on their backs.

Hopefully we'll get an entertaining face similar to Dan because I just haven't been feeling the GBW content lately. The chemistry for that team is all off now.

#33 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Personally I enjoy it but for some of these games I only want to watch so much. I just enjoyed Contra quite a bit but some of Vinnyvania was a little lackluster and I really don't enjoy watching Mega Man that much.

Some of it is just the games are quick and easy to boot up and finish I guess? I feel like in the East they are trying some new things.

I like when they play through games that are more lengthy myself but I think we will be getting a lot of that from the East soon so not really a good complaint.

@oursin_360 said:

They've done this for years, honestly one of the core foundations of the site was the wiki for the database/history of all games

Yes, plus we used to get all kinds of Game Room, Hamster, plus retro game collection quick looks.

@humanity said:

I do hope that the next The Run series will be something a bit more modern, or at least more in my wheelhouse.

It'll have to be an older game like Contra you can beat like this or some kind of maybe rogue like game. Not sure what would work.

#34 Posted by Humanity (18573 posts) -
#35 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -
#36 Edited by Trilogy (3195 posts) -

Seems like it. It's sort of run it's course for me. Not so much old games in general, but the platforming stuff. Those games just don't provide a ton of entertaining moments for me. When it comes to watching the crew play games, I've always preferred the story based stuff, MST3K style. I love watching them play things like Until Dawn, Contradiction, and all of the old FMV games they've visited over the years. Those kinds of games are chock full of opportunities for funny riffing. Old platformers usually come down to tangents that end up feeling like an off topic podcast, rather than a piece of content about the game they're playing. Which isn't a terrible thing, there's just not a lot to directly comment on with that stuff. It has it's place for me, as I've enjoyed it in the past (Brad playing Volgar). But it's just been A LOT of that one kind of thing. I guess my actual issue is the lack of diverse content.

Hopefully they mix it up soon. I'm definitely looking forward to them playing Yakuza, although I'm sad to hear that Vinny won't be in there with them.

#37 Edited by Humanity (18573 posts) -
#38 Posted by csl316 (14946 posts) -

Works for me, I think sidescrolling games are pretty fun to watch. These old games have pretty good music and some varied design, and if they get stuck I can walk away and just listen to the conversations.

#39 Posted by sammo21 (5962 posts) -

@big_denim: as long as GBE moves away from "hitman 24/7" (which is what is started to feel like) I'll be happy

#40 Posted by ajamafalous (13811 posts) -

I feel like this has basically always been the case?

#41 Edited by ripelivejam (13097 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

@big_denim: as long as GBE moves away from "hitman 24/7" (which is what is started to feel like) I'll be happy

it's mega man 24/7 now. but that's completely different!

people seem to want longform content going deep on one game a lot, but when they get it they're not too happy with it. i mean unless it's vinny as he is absolutely PERFECT!!!

#42 Posted by imhungry (1100 posts) -

Others have said it already, but this is absolutely nothing new for this site.

#43 Posted by ShaggE (9210 posts) -

I love it. I wish there were more 90s PC games lately (not elitism, just that there's where my nostalgia lies. Also, if/when Demo Derby returns, there's a lot of gold to be had there), but I'm generally a big fan of the retro bent. Jeff's recent PS1 deep dive was especially entertaining.

#44 Edited by ScottJones (1 posts) -

I also love all Giant Bomb's old game content.

#45 Posted by WhatsHisFace (745 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

it's mega man 24/7 now. but that's completely different!

people seem to want longform content going deep on one game a lot, but when they get it they're not too happy with it. i mean unless it's vinny as he is absolutely PERFECT!!!

Could you humor me a bit and tell me how many videos they made about Hitman versus all Megaman games?

#46 Edited by sammo21 (5962 posts) -

@ripelivejam: I, personally, just got tired of seeing so much Hitman last year. Brad started doing it on UPF's as well as all the other content they did and that started making UPF worse for it, in my opinion. No one has a problem with a series or something but it was evident that was this was equalled, "We love this game and want to keep playing it while at work." If the Hitman content was closer to what they did for their end of year content I probably wouldn't feel this way...as much.

@whatshisface They haven't done even a fraction. Alex is doing Blue Bombin' which is his video series. They don't squeeze Hitman into every nearly facet of video content like they were doing Hitman.

At the end of the day I really only care that we get quality content. Some people's cup of tea isn't retro stuff. I like most of that stuff but I would like to see GBE slightly steer the ship away from that so heavily and maybe with Dan being there now they will do something (which they are in the Yakuza series and before that they did Shenmue).

#47 Edited by mattimus_prime (237 posts) -

at 23 i am too young to have played a lot of these older games when they came out, but i am fascinated by old games and sadly will not likely ever get to experiment with them myself. jeffs knowledge of old games is one of the things that drew me to the site to begin with, so you will hear no complaints from me when they dive in and play games i will never get to see on my own. but as to the recent spike in old games content i think it is due to the lack of current games out right now. there are some good games that have come out recently like RE7 and yakuza but outside of a quicklook there isnt really much they can do with those games.

#48 Posted by WhatsHisFace (745 posts) -

@sammo21: That's what I was getting at. At this point, they made dozens of Hitman videos and streams for a year now. That's a pretty long time and a lot of content if you ask me. Mega Man on the other hand has been around for 2 moths(?) or so and has 7(?) videos so far. The fatigue doesn't feel as strong because of it.

#49 Posted by sammo21 (5962 posts) -

@whatshisface: AND it is only one person GBE's staff doing it, at most, once a week.

#50 Posted by Arabes (744 posts) -

@mattimus_prime: Just out of curiosity, why do you say that the retro games are ones that you would never be able to see on your own? How exactly, do you think the GB guys are playing them?