Needle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Needle

Good morning Bombers,

A couple Happy Hours ago, Giantbomb announced Roku support, which struck me as interesting seeing as I have a Roku sitting around that I was hardly using. Lo and behold, I found the Whiskey channel and started watching videos on my TV, and life has been slightly better since.

Unfortunately it looks like the frontend is not actually finished, and I can't find anywhere to put in a name and password. Thusly, I can't get the HD feeds or subscriber-only content (Happy Hours) to my television just yet.

Has anyone out there with a Roku (all five of you) been able to get this to work yet? Or is this functionality still in the pipeline?

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By evilmax17

Still in the pipeline.   

I'm waiting on some stuff from the Whiskey guys before I can officially release it, but they're pretty busy at the moment. 

From twitter:  
"We are working on the video RSS feeds and a few other details to make it work right. Other priorities have pushed it backabit"  

In the meantime, feel free to try out the unreleased beta version:  
https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=WhiskeyBeta 

After you install it, enter + exit the Roku Channel Store to force a sync.

Needle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Needle

Sweet, thanks for the tips! Seems to work like a charm. I am in your debt.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By pekoe212

Thanks for the info and the link! I found the Whiskey Media channel by surprise on my Roku a while ago, and have been so excited for this update ever since they showed it. Good to know what's happening.

EDIT: it works, it works, this is so awesome!!! Thanks!

BSchneider30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BSchneider30

@evilmax17  Just downloaded the app.  I'm super excited, but how can I input my user info for member content?

StoicM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By StoicM

I've downloaded the beta but have been unable to log-in into my account. I receive an "Incorrect username + password combination." message, even though the information is correct. I checked the app and its says its version 1.2 / 3-17-11. 

P.S. I also have version 1.0 / 10-7-10 which is the current version on the Channel Store, but does not allow for logging into user accounts.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hot_Karl

Another thing I might add- wish they had a "search" function or maybe a way to group videos better, like "trailers" or "quick looks" or "endurance run", since I basically have to scroll through the entire catalog to find an older video to watch. Otherwise, it's a neat little app.

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By evilmax17
@murphyjammer: On the main channel screen, press down to select the nametag.   This will bring you to a settings screen.

@StoicM:  Is your Giant Bomb username different from your Whiskey Media multipass login?  I think you have to use your multipass credentials.  Try logging out of GB in your web browser and clearing all cookies, and then try accessing the following link (it should prompt you for a username/password):   http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/5/  If you can access that feed, then it 'should' work in the channel.  I'll take another look to make sure nothing weird is going on though. 

@VinceNotVance: Search isn't supported, but grouping like you describe is.  Make sure that you have the beta (link in an earlier post), and not the channel that's currently in the Roku Channel Store. 

Note: The Beta currently only works for paid subscribers.

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=WhiskeyBeta
StoicM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By StoicM
@evilmax17:  I was finally able to login using all lowercase letters for my multipass id.
evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilmax17
@StoicM: Interesting, I wonder if lowercase is a requirement across the board, or if it was an account-specific thing.

Either way, glad it worked out!
sully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sully
@evilmax17 said:

@StoicM:  Is your Giant Bomb username different from your Whiskey Media multipass login?  I think you have to use your multipass credentials.  Try logging out of GB in your web browser and clearing all cookies, and then try accessing the following link (it should prompt you for a username/password):   http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/5/  If you can access that feed, then it 'should' work in the channel.  I'll take another look to make sure nothing weird is going on though. 

With my own app, I've actually run into a major issue when trying to use my multi-pass credentials. The app uses my multi-pass username ("sully") and password, which works on Giant Bomb, Screened, Tested and AnimeVice. However, the username "sully" on ComicVine is in use by someone else, so on that site I'm "yllus". As a result I cannot retrieve the feeds for that site - so it appears that the feeds for each site authenticate against each specific site's user database, not the multi-pass DB. I'm writing something up to send to Dave now.
evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By evilmax17
@sully said:
" @evilmax17 said:

With my own app, I've actually run into a major issue when trying to use my multi-pass credentials. The app uses my multi-pass username ("sully") and password, which works on Giant Bomb, Screened, Tested and AnimeVice. However, the username "sully" on ComicVine is in use by someone else, so on that site I'm "yllus". As a result I cannot retrieve the feeds for that site - so it appears that the feeds for each site authenticate against each specific site's user database, not the multi-pass DB. I'm writing something up to send to Dave now. "
I'm evilmax17 on all five sites, so it hasn't come up in my own personal testing.  I was expecting/hoping the video RSS feeds to be multi-pass based, but if they're not, then users with different usernames on different sites will probably run into some trouble on the Roku.  Hopefully the top men can make it so the feeds are based on multi-pass.

If anybody with different usernames runs into this problem in the Roku beta channel, let me know.
sloprunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sloprunner

Anyone besides me having problems with premium member videos not showing up? I can still watch videos in HD, which is a members only feature. I re-entered my member credentials just to be sure. All the previous happy hours (excluding the may 27th free show) as well as archived TNTs have vanished off the service. It's still a great channel. I'm still very grateful it was developed. Have the top men changed the feeds around a bit?

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pekoe212

@youcanmakeanythingoutofhemp: I just checked my Roku player and I am also not seeing any of the Happy Hours except the May 27th one. I'm sure they have other priorities, but I really hope GB can enable the viewing of older videos on the Roku channel. Once something I like falls off the end of that list it sucks. I love playing long quick looks or endurance runs on the TV when I'm doing chores or projects away from the computer. I wanted to watch the Witcher 2 QL again last night while I was cleaning the kitchen, but it had fallen off the list. :(

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilmax17

They just recently separated out Subscriber videos into their own RSS feed. Haven't had a chance to update the channel yet.

Look for that update soon, along with support for Kessler Kam and Lemon Lens.

Still no word on a public release date.

sloprunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sloprunner

@evilmax17 said:

They just recently separated out Subscriber videos into their own RSS feed. Haven't had a chance to update the channel yet. Look for that update soon, along with support for Kessler Kam and Lemon Lens. Still no word on a public release date.

Sweet! Your work on this channel is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Edit: I just found that the Happy Hours are still accessible via the Tested and Comic Vine feeds.

Deaditelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deaditelord

@pekoe212 said:

@youcanmakeanythingoutofhemp: I just checked my Roku player and I am also not seeing any of the Happy Hours except the May 27th one. I'm sure they have other priorities, but I really hope GB can enable the viewing of older videos on the Roku channel. Once something I like falls off the end of that list it sucks. I love playing long quick looks or endurance runs on the TV when I'm doing chores or projects away from the computer. I wanted to watch the Witcher 2 QL again last night while I was cleaning the kitchen, but it had fallen off the list. :(

I also would like to 2nd the request of being able to view the older videos. I recently discovered the Persona endurance run videos and would love to be able to watch them on my HDTV.

hbi2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hbi2k

I just picked up a Roku box and I'm loving the ability to watch Quick Looks on the big TV. I'll reiterate the request to be able to view older videos in the Beta version of the channel (or to add tabs to the "normal" version of the channel so that I can actually browse for what I want to watch instead of having to scroll through one massive video queue).

Don't mean to be a nuisance or come across as demanding; I know you guys are a small team and you have to prioritize according to what features the most people want/use. Just wanted to toss out the fact that it's definitely a feature that I, for one, would use, and as a paying Whiskey Media member, continuing Roku support is something that will figure into my decision on whether or not to continue my paid subscription when it comes up for renewal later this year. (I don't really use the paid features much; I subscribed in the first place as a gesture of appreciation for all the free goodness you've given me over the years.)

Thank you for all the hard work getting onto Roku in the first place. I know it's sort of a niche feature, but it's one that's very much appreciated on my end at least.

eznark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By eznark

This is awesome, been using it all week.

Today it won't let me log in. Is it broken somehow?

Babaoriley06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Babaoriley06
@evilmax17

Thanks so much for your help.  I didn't realize that there was a new version of the whiskey media app that would give me access to all the sites videos and let me log in as a paid member.  This is ridiculously awesome!  thank you!
jagenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By jagenheim
Due to external circumstances that are entirely out of our control, we are disappointed to announce that our Whiskey Media Roku Channel is dead. There will be no further development on the new 2.0 version, and it will never be released.

I found this on the developers homepage? As a new Roku user, I'm worried. Should I be worried?

Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Okari
@jagenheim said:
Due to external circumstances that are entirely out of our control, we are disappointed to announce that our Whiskey Media Roku Channel is dead. There will be no further development on the new 2.0 version, and it will never be released.

I found this on the developers homepage? As a new Roku user, I'm worried. Should I be worried?

Sounds like they were told to stop development now that Whiskey Media is making an official channel for Roku.  You'll still be able to use it, and when the official channel is released you can switch over to that one.
boatofcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By boatofcar

Just wanted to bump this...is there any progress on getting subscriber content on Roku? I'd love to watch the Members Only SNES Party on the big screen!

conrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By conrow

Hey guys. Does anyone else all of a sudden have issues logging into the app? I suddenly cannot access any of the videos and I really want to watch the pax panel

TheRoadHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By TheRoadHead

yep same here, can't sign into the app