GiantBomb video reviews?

XAMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By XAMS

So, did GiantBomb stop making video reviews? I mean, I don't think I've seen one for a while, and considering GOWIII (one of the biggest games of the year) didn't get a video review, I assume they stopped making them. I only see Quick Looks now. What happened?

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By allprox

Quick Looks > Video Reviews

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

It's not like they make video reviews all that often.  It's usually just for the big games or games they feel really benefit from having their mechanics displayed.  I'm also surprised that they haven't done a GoW3 video review, but what can you do?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Video Reviews take a lot of time and resources to make, so they are generally very selective about he video's they review. The notability of the game isn't the only factor either, the amount of time they've got free at the time will also be a huge factor. In the case of GOWIII - perhaps both Drew and Vinny (the only two video guys) were busy doing other stuff, so didn't have time to edit a video review - which is very time consuming. Quick looks, on the other hand, require very little editing, and thus it is easy to get large quantities of them on the site.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Rhaknar

Heavy Rain was the last one to get a video review and its quite recent. After that only 2 big games came out, FF13 (and we know whats going on with the written review, let alone a video one) and GOW3. Maybe a GOW3 review is still coming, those are a lot harder to edit than quicklooks as they have said many times

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Getz
@Rhaknar said:
" Heavy Rain was the last one to get a video review and its quite recent. After that only 2 big games came out, FF13 (and we know whats going on with the written review, let alone a video one) and GOW3. Maybe a GOW3 review is still coming, those are a lot harder to edit than quicklooks as they have said many times "
Isn't Brad reviewing FF13? If you look at his achievements, it might take a long time before we see a review...
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Getz said:

" @Rhaknar said:

" Heavy Rain was the last one to get a video review and its quite recent. After that only 2 big games came out, FF13 (and we know whats going on with the written review, let alone a video one) and GOW3. Maybe a GOW3 review is still coming, those are a lot harder to edit than quicklooks as they have said many times "
Isn't Brad reviewing FF13? If you look at his achievements, it might take a long time before we see a review... "
He stopped playing it on 360 and started playing it on PS3. So his 360 achievements won't reflect his progress. And apparently he was quite a way through it and was supposed to be doing a review when he had finished. That was the last I heard (from last weeks bombcast), but I haven't listened to this weeks bombcast yet, so there might have been another update on his progress in that.
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By alternate

Never bothered with them - they were just an abridged version of the text review delivered to camera.  QL + text was better.

XAMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By XAMS
@Allprox said:
" Quick Looks > Video Reviews "
I disagree. With video reviews we get to see footage of the entire game (not just a section like in QLs) and they tell us whether the game is good or bad.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@alternate said:
" Never bothered with them - they were just an abridged version of the text review delivered to camera.  QL + text was better. "
Same here. A video review is only useful if it shows the reviewer playing the game, like AVGN. Oh, speaking of him, there's an example of why video reviews are so rare: they take a lot of time and effort to make. Whereas I can crap out a blog in a single night, video reviews can often take a week, by my estimate. (My estimate, of course, based on absolutely nothing.)
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By matthew
@XAMS said:

" @Allprox said:

" Quick Looks > Video Reviews "
I disagree. With video reviews we get to see footage of the entire game (not just a section like in QLs) and they tell us whether the game is good or bad. "
The text review should be enough of a guideline for yourself to judge the quality of the game.  Plus, they've already done two Quick Looks . . . and it plays like the previous entries in the series . . . I'm not seeing why you think you have to check out a Video Review of the game. 

*edit* 
Sorry, was focusing the point of the comment towards a video review of God of War 3.  But often times, a Quick Look alongside a text review is sufficient.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By neoepoch
@Video_Game_King said:
" @alternate said:
" Never bothered with them - they were just an abridged version of the text review delivered to camera.  QL + text was better. "
Same here. A video review is only useful if it shows the reviewer playing the game, like AVGN. Oh, speaking of him, there's an example of why video reviews are so rare: they take a lot of time and effort to make. Whereas I can crap out a blog in a single night, video reviews can often take a week, by my estimate. (My estimate, of course, based on absolutely nothing.) "
Yep. I think all the time the AVGN spent making his reviews finally burnt him out. Glad to see he is taking a break until May. It'll let him do some other stuff that he enjoys.
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Brunchies

Quick looks are pretty much the video reviews of the site. Also, all the editing with video reviews takes a lot of time.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba

WarioWare DIY just got a 43 minute video review.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By samcotts

You can only expect at most one video review a month, that's how it's always been on Giant Bomb. Also, you can't really compare Video Reviews and Quick Looks, that is just insulting to the Giant Bomb crew, it completely disregards their ability to professionally review video games.

And come on, I don't believe for a second that you honestly thought they had given up on doing video reviews just because they haven't done one since Heavy Rain.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By applet0n

I understand why there aren't many video reviews, but that doesn't stop me wishing that there were more of them.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pox22

I'm capable of reading, so I don't need a video of one of the Giant Bomb crew reading me the text review.  I'd rather just have text reviews and have them use all the time that would've been spent on a redundant video review on other content.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CashBailey

Tends to be they only do video reviews when the game really warrants that attention. 

And DARKSIDERS.