Gift ideas for fan of bullet hell shooters and Japanese manga

jellyelbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi everyone!

It's my husband's birthday coming up, and when I've posted on here before about gift suggestions based on his current game interests you've come up with some great ideas that he's loved!

Ok so this year we went to Tokyo which was AWESOME!!

He loves bullet hell shooters and already has two arcade/fight sticks. He plays a lot of Dodonpachi (don't know which ones but he has a few!) and likes Deathsmiles.

He also likes Japanese manga books (particularly Black Butler, D.Gray-man and One piece) and films like Akira and Ghost in shell.

If anyone can suggest cool gifts to do with any of those, or other games/books that he might similar to those, I would love to hear your ideas!

Or just anything to do with arcades (he also likes street fighter, metal slug...).

Has anyone else here been to Tokyo? We really want to go back!

Jen

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

I assume he plays most of Cave's library so I can't suggest anything except getting an actual board of something like Deathsmiles or Espgaluda.

If he is playing some of them on 360, I recommend getting him a CRT professional video monitor and making sure it can output through component or VGA. Those Cave ports were designed to work really well with PVMs.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Possibly not Manga enough, but Sine Mora is pretty cool, great presentation and solid on the shoot'nin

holyxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By holyxion

In terms of more obscure games, I'd recommend Blue Revolver and/or Crimson Clover, two super-indie yet high-quality Cave-style shmups that may have flown under his radar. They're both PC games that are directly inspired by Cave and aim to emulate the arcade shooter experience with arcade stick support and options for tate mode and stuff like that.

jellyelbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomnaut: Thank you for your reply! He does love Cave, and also has set up his own arcade 'machine' using a rotated PC monitor (think he's aiming for the CRT though!).

sorry for being dumb, but when you day 'board', do you mean board game? Just had a quick google and can't seem to find any based on those games...

jellyelbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avantegardener: Thanks for your reply! That does look a cool game. I would have liked to get a disc PC game but Steam seems to be the best (only?) way to purchase it. Do you know if/where I could get hold of a disc version?

jellyelbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyxion: Thank you for your reply! Also look like cool games (and he'd be impressed that I'd discovered something he might not know about!). Again, I was hoping for disc games (he likes to display them on his shelf) but can only seem to find Steam version (or other download sites). Do you know if they do a disc version, or is Steam my best bet?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

@jellyelbows: Oh I meant an arcade printed circuit board with all the chips, circuits and what not. A simple search of "arcade PCB" will let you know what's up.

From what I checked, the Cave PCBs are pretty pricey so nevermind that. I think a PVM should suffice. You just have to make sure you get the proper cables to allow the video input to connect to the monitor.