gimme a game similar to fire emblem /xcom

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By super2j

I wanted to play fire emblem but i dont have a 3ds nor do I want to get one. I have yet to play x-com but its on my list. More ideally I would something more mobile for the ds. I have a gaming capable laptop and a ps3. If you have a good suggestion, I dont mind checking it out, but my main concern is a mobile fire emblem like experience. I feel like there have been many games like this but my desire to play them has only awakened recently (it all started with civilization revolution and chrono trigger for ds*shake fist*), so I cant remember any.

I do want to make it clearer that I am not looking for a jrpg but more of a strategy game.

Can anyone help a playa out?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pr1mus
super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: Valkyria chronicles counts! I asked the dude at ebgames because that was the only thing I could think of that hit the spot. But that was ps3 right? I definitely will consider it.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I like A2 quite a lot enough to beat it twice while trying to get everything done

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gilsham: @pr1mus: LOL, this is funny, when I was in said ebgames, the guys there were of no help. So i randomly started looking at the games, and I did grab that final fantasy (i only remembered it now for the "grimoire" subtitle). Alright, I will go check it out.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j: Yes Valkyria Chronicles is PS3 only and the sequel is only on PSP.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict for the DS are both alright if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I played an Advance Wars game.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shining Force.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

DOW 2

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Any game in the Tactics Ogre series is generally awesome.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

They made a Fire Emblem for the DS, it's called Shadow Dragon, I have it and I quite like it. Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 is a TBS. There's also Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre, but they're a slightly different school of strategy games from what I can tell.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I remember thinking XCOm seemed a little like Frozen Synapse, but I never played it so can't comment on how good it is.

edit: apparently there is or will be a digital release of it on PSN sometime soon, btw.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict for the DS are both alright if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I played an Advance Wars game.

Those are good options but a little on the simple side on the strategy game spectrum.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@pr1mus said:

Aren't there two sequels on the PSP?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:
@pr1mus said:

Aren't there two sequels on the PSP?

According to the wiki there is! I never played any of the PSP games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

More Fire Emblem.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If you have a DS, you can play GBA games (unless you have a DSi, I don't think that had backwards compatibility...maybe?). In other words, you should play Fire Emblem for the GBA.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@colourful_hippie said:

@sinusoidal said:

Those are good options but a little on the simple side on the strategy game spectrum.

Right - as I recall, Advance Wars has a pretty explicit rock/paper/scissors mechanic to the combat.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't played either but when I ask around for suggestions like FE and XCOM people recommend Fallout Tactics and Jagged Alliance to me.

I'm waiting for the next Steam sale to pick them up. The Jagged Alliance QL makes me think I will especially like it after playing XCOM.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valkyria Chronicles

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Please play Silent Storm!

World War II turn based strategy. More free form than XCOM but in that vein. The environmental destruction is just awesome.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Canteu

@super2j: How about fire emblem, for the DS?

Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command is pretty good, and also FFXII: Revenant wings is an RTS on the DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Apparently Shadow Dragoon is hella hard to find and like 70$, glad I got it in a bargain bin when I didn't know what Fire Emblem was.

Tactics ogre is really good, Might and Magic is kind of like it but not really. Tactics:FF and of course Advance Wars is kind of just FE with guns. If you want something really simple there is this.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please stop making these threads. Search google or wikipedia or Giant Bomb for "Tactical RPG" and bam you'll have thousands of results. The only tactical RPG that I've played and considered relatively poor is Suikoden Tactics (though at the time I enjoyed it more than IV), most are extremely similar and apart from being made by a Western developer nothing really makes XCOM stand out except for how terrible last year was for games.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

@sinusoidal said:

Right - as I recall, Advance Wars has a pretty explicit rock/paper/scissors mechanic to the combat.

True, but the CO's you use do add a bit of extra strategy. But its probably still simpler. :p

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@super2j: How about fire emblem, for the DS?

Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command is pretty good, and also FFXII: Revenant wings is an RTS on the DS.

Apparently, it is not easy to find.

@pr1mus said:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Valkyria Chronicles

I haven't actually played this version of FFT but you said DS so there goes. Maybe someone else can confirm if it's good or not.

I bought tactics a2, I actually held a copy of it the day before i made this thread and had no idea what it was, while I was looking around ebgames for a cool rts. I went to a different ebgames today (with the knowledge that tactics 2 is a good game to try), and the people told me that tactics 2 was hard to find and was totally surprised when i told him i just saw a copy, lol. It was only 14$. Great deal thanks.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: you should be glad to know that I already wiped on the first tutorial battle.... I blame you for this

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow, looking at the specs you need to run it, my phone or raspberry pi would have no issues running it. Its amazing how far we have come.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a shame OP doesn't have a 3DS as Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is literally XCOM meets Fire Emblem. But if you have the same quandary, that's the way to go.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a shame OP doesn't have a 3DS as Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is literally XCOM meets Fire Emblem. But if you have the same quandary, that's the way to go.

wow, you and the guy from gamestop would get along quite well. When they told me to get ff: A2, he told me that if I ever got a 3ds, I should get Ghost Recon because its exactly what I want.