Going back to older games

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Been going back through a couple of older games I have completed years ago or only got part way through and really enjoying it. I usually play a older game then stop halfway because a new game comes out that I want to play. I completed FF8 for the first first time. I played the steam version. That game has a multitude of issues that I never noticed since I've only been through part way through disc 3 once(the railroad section) and the rest of the time I quit around halfway through disc 1 or the end of disc 1.

Another game I've been playing is MS Saga for the PS2. It's basically a gundam rpg and uses the mobile suits from the U.C series of shows, G Gundam, and Wing Gundam. It's not indie, but it's not AAA either. The Story is lackluster, the combat is pretty ok, but it just does something for me that I can't dislike it. Oh and everyone in the game can't dress themselves to save their lives. I mean it, their outfits are hideous. Luckily your in the mobile suit the majority of the time.

Have also started games of Rogue Galaxy since I only got half way through it last time and SRW J with english patch.

I guess the question I want to ask all of you is do you go back and play older games when your strapped for cash or do you just go for your immediate backlog?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go back to Dark Cloud occasionally and my immediate backlog. I still need to finish Rogue Galaxy. I remember the bugfights being way more interesting than the main plot.

Also indie games are not a genre or indicative of quality, it merely means independent.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Im hitting my backlog of ratchet and clank, and cant wait to revisit ffxii since i never completed it

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Most of the times I'll play a game once and then never touch it again. I used to have a really bad habit of trying to play through too many games at once and end up not finishing most of them. I own a lot of PS3 games that I got like 3/4s of the way through before moving on to something else. Since I've gotten my PS4 I've tried to enforce a strict policy of playing one game to completion before moving on to a new one. It's worked so far in that I haven't started a game and not beat it. I have a decent backlog of the monthly Plus games though.

As far as playing old games goes I generally set up a PS2 a once or twice a year to play through Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War. For some reason I just really enjoy playing through that games campaign. I'll also jump back into games like Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV/V, and Skyrim and just mess around for a few hours every couple months.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm always going back to Tetris if that counts and I tend to replay Planescape: Torment about every two years or so. I also play my favorite RPGs two or three times before I'm really "finished" with them, often over a couple of years after I got them.

Right now I'm playing Realms of the Haunting which is a ton of fun. I can only speculate how impressive the game must've been in 1997 because I didn't play it originally.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play through Majora's Mask once/year. Also, since there hasn't been a ton of stuff coming out recently that I've really wanted, I've been going back to my Steam backlog. I've also been playing through the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy on Steam (god help me). And I've been playing a ton of HD remasters/re-releases. So yeah, I've been playing a ton of old games.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Im playing final fantasy vi for the first time and it is glorious. Its crazy how well the gsmeplay holds up, but the typos and strange pace to the story stick out to me, which if I were a kid wouldnt even register

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@getz: I just started two days ago. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it considering I quit FFV after 4 or 5 hours.

So far this year I have played:

• Resident Evil 4 (2005)
  • Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (2004)
  • Wolfenstein 3D (1993) [It was playable in a Polygon article. How could I not?]
  • FFVI (1994)

So yeah, I play older games all the time. I have my PS2 hooked up at my parents, but it's to a TV from the 80s where you have to turn a knob to turn it on/adjust the volume. I played through Vice City on it last year and it looked like ass. If it weren't for that I'd have started up FFXII again because I've been thinking about it a lot recently.

esuing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's extremely rare that I'll go back and replay a game as I have a large backlog of games (some quite old) that I want to check out.

The one game that has been calling my name though is Half-Life 2. It just sits there in my Steam library, staring and me... It's been such a long time and I don't remember much of it, so I think I'll replay that one sometime in the next several months. Other games that I keep thinking I might someday replay are Bioshock 1, Bioshock Infinite, and Portal 2.... but those aren't as pressing for me as HL2.

Props to Baal_Sagoth for the Planescape mention. My favorite game of all-time.