Good co-op games for dad and five-year-old girl?

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lylebot

Me and my five-year-old daughter have been playing through the Lego Movie Videogame. After several years of her not caring much about games, I've finally found something she enjoys, is excited to play with me, and is able to perform everything it asks her to do relatively well. So I want to keep the ball rolling and get her into other games.

But--the Lego Movie Videogame is great for her because in nearly every level you can play as a girl. This is important to her. Checking the Lego game catalog, I really doubt there is another Lego game with that feature (the only possible one I see is Harry Potter, but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Can anyone recommend some good co-op games for kids that give you the option of playing as a girl? (No LittleBigPlanet recommendations please, despite the "cute" aesthetic those games are not designed to be played by kids.)

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Halo maybe?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What system?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As a father of a boy and a girl (9 and 7, now), here are A BUNCH of games with girls, or sufficiently feminine characters, that we've played together:

Skylanders, if you wallet doesn't mind it.

Disney Infinity (again, check with your wallet).

Chariot is a kid-friendly co-op game with a girl.

When my daughter was five, she LOVED Hohokum, though it's not co-op.

Minecraft.

I don't think it does splitscreen, but Overwatch is friendly and has a lot of strong female characters.

Either Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare game has female characters and split-screen PvE. The second game was much fuller, from what I remember.

Not co-op, but I LOVE The Flame in the Flood, which has a female protagonist. It could be a good game to play together (not co-op).

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime can get hectic, but is tons of fun with androgynous characters.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1-2.

The Lara Croft and the...games. Both are couch coop and have females.

Viva Pinata 2 (which is a part of Rare Replay) has co-op.

Ms. Splosion. Man.

Peggle 2 has a couple of female avatars, though I remember it being more competitive.

Golden Axe.

I think Monday Night Combat had split screen and female players for it's PvE mode...I may be wrong.

I think Castle Crashers has Pink or otherwise girl-ish characters. We got a lot of miles out of this one.

Rayman Legends has couch co-op and female playable characters (pretty sure they can be unlocked within the first hour).

Perfect Dark 64?

Kameo has co-op score attack modes.

Marvel Lego Superheroes.

Guacamelee.

If it isn't too dated, Toy Story 3 was surprisingly good.

I think The Cave had co-op, females, and was pretty safe for kids.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

You might try out Rocket League. There's no story, but you can definitely play together and it's not too hard to grasp what to do even though you can argue it's hard to master. That shouldn't matter though since I'm assuming you're not in it for online play. It's all cars, so male/female isn't really there, but you can change the color of your car as well as customize it the way you want with different kinds of wheels as well as things you put on them. I'm not a huge multiplayer player, but I think Rocket League is a fun game and a good co-op choice.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rejizzle

Do you have a wiiu? The New Super Mario Games and Mario 3D World all have co-op, and you can play as Peach in that last one too.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ntm: My daughter has a car that's pink (when she's on orange), with sparkles, rainbows, etc.

You can definately fancy-up some rocket cars.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Human Fall Flat's Co-op is dope as shit. Boom! You are welcome.

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Irishdoom

I have a 4 year old boy myself (along with a couple older kids, but for the purposes of this post my 4 year old matters!) I would absolutely go with a lot of the different lego games. They all have quite a few female characters, and they really are the perfect little games for father/son or father/daughter gaming. I also think Skylanders would be a great choice as well. You can limit your investment and just get a couple of characters that she likes.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lylebot: You could try Terraria or Minecraft. Both let you create a character (so she can make a girl avatar for herself). Both are easy going and fun. Terraria has a bit more "progression". It has bosses, they're not and you have to summon them so you don't have to worry about running into them before you want to.

I like Terraria more to be honest, it's a sidescroller, so even easier to understand and move around in. You guys could make a house or hideout together and explore the world.

What platforms do you have? If you've a PC, PS3 or Xbox take a look at Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2 (also on PS4/Xbox One).