• 91 results
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1 sweep  Moderator

What's up, meatbags. It's that time of year again, when we need to listen to groups of total strangers talk about videogames which are sorted/compromised into dumb lists based on those discussions. And this year, there's going to be a lot of that.

So, we need recommendations for games that have been released in the last year which you can play while sort of zoned out and not really paying attention. I'd say something like grinding out public events in Destiny 2 would be cool, or playing No Man's Sky (despite how you felt about it at launch, the last big update at the start of this year was actually pretty cool), or even something like Rocket League or Stardew Valley on the switch; all relatively low-impact games which aren't heavily reliant on audio.

Show me ya' moves?

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This might sound like a sleight against these high GOTY contenders (which I don't intend it as, since they're my numbers 1 and 2 respectively), but both Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey both worked really well as podcast/chill-out games for me. Lots of exploration and just "being in a place", and very second-nature movement/traversal mechanics once you know what you're doing.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

meccagojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like GemCraft well enough, and Defense Grid, but they don't scratch the itch the same way SC/WC3 custom TD maps did. It might be a problem with me and not the games, I am willing to accept that.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think i'm gonna go with Steep this year for me, maybe boot up Cook, Serve, Delicious! or Binding of Isaac: Rebirth too if I feel like it.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Path of Exile just started up a new league, and grim dawn also had a pretty big new expansion, so its all ARPGS for me.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I’ve been listening to podcast while puzzling in Picross lately. There’s a regular one on Switch or the amazing Picross 3d round 2 on 3DS.

The obvious ones are all the Diablo/Grim Dawn/Path of Exile and the like, but I’m pretty done with those. I’d love other recommendations!

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Opus Magnum, Final Fantasy XIV, and Destiny 2 are probably going to fill my time. Maybe XCOM 2 or, hell, I might even go back to a Morrowind save.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've been weirdly thinking about playing SSX 3 again so that might be what I play for GOTY this year. They really need to bring back SSX and Skate.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I'm not working 55-60 hrs a week, maybe dive back into Civ VI. Feel I've neglected it.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: glad to see someone else who likes Gemcraft. That is a great podcast game

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I find it's best to pick something that doesn't require much attention (which eliminates anything multiplayer for me personally), and also something you can pause (for the moments where something catches your attention and you gotta focus just on the podcast, if you'd rather not pause the podcast instead of the game).

My go-to for years (probably since the founding of Giant Bomb) was Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. Just swinging around while listening to the conversation. Besides that, if I'm playing Rocket League it's either slow-mo or regular speed, but always against AI and without a time limit or score limit, and I'll just focus on driving around and bouncing the ball.

MMOs are good. Anything grindy really. Public events in Destiny, levelling in a Souls game, weapon achievements in Uncharted, whatever. Diablo 3 was a real fuckin great podcast game for a good while there.

Really just stuff that's feels enjoyable to handle on a fundamental level, and that doesn't require too much attention.

I wonder if listening to podcasts while playing games for so long is why I tend to not just focus on a game anymore (and consequently not jump into single-player story stuff which I love most), and instead always feel like I gotta have some other audio going on at the same time. Podcast, video, news, anything. I know there's more to it than that for me personally, but still, it's a damn bad habit.

Also holy shit that's a lotta GOTY podcastin.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Last year I played a lot of Total Warhammer while listening to GOTY podcasts. Not sure what I'll be playing this year, though I might take advantage of the holiday break to get deep into Zelda.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing Floor 2 is probably gonna get a lot of love while I'm burning through GOTY talks. I might dive into some old strategy games over the break, but I don't have many good, new podcasting games right now.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By asmo917

My recent podcast games have been Madden 18 playing MUT solo challenges, moon hunting in the Odyssey post-credits world, plus Destiny 2 public events. Not particularly novel or exciting, but they're good games to zone out to.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I'm going to be sitting in a dark room sipping whiskey from an armchair, occasionally throwing one of my many glasses at the door in disgust as my opinions differ. For 25 hours straight.

So the usual.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Astroneer!

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Stardew Valley and the side missions of Xenoblade will be my weapons of choice this year

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Steamworld Dig 2 doesn't require a whole lot of concentration. Cranking out races in Forza 7 to podcasts is a great way to zone too. What else? Dead Cells. Definitely Dead Cells.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Uh... maybe focus on one hundred percenting that Crash Bandicoot collection? Or playing Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne/IV/Apocalypse? I could probably do another run through the first Dark Souls, that wouldn't be a huge problem. Or maybe I could play some of Doom 2016. Or I could run through all of the Half-Life games. And then there's always Gun Game in CS:GO.

I wouldn't have a problem firing up the first Destiny and just running through it, either, but Borderlands and Diablo are both games that I just can't make myself play, even as a side thing while I pay attention to music or podcasts or something.

If I'm being honest, I'll probably listen to most of this on my way to and from work. It take me about 45 minutes to get to work, so that's... uh...

*calculates 25:42 in just minutes, divides by 45*

roughly 35 trips worth of podcast for me. I'll also listen to it while doing household chores - laundry, dishes, general cleaning up.

...or I'll just wind up not listening to it and instead looking at the shortcut lists and going "huh, all right".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might be blasphemous to not focus on the music but Cuphead has been a good podcast game for me. I'm about halfway done with it so I might be at the end stages by the time GOTY drops.

Mario is also good. I guess I pretty much always listen to podcasts while playing platformers.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

While I would like to think I have some grand plans it will probably end up being Call of Duty: WWII multiplayer and Civ VI.

Kadgar34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know when I listen to the podcasts I'll probably be playing either the Hearthstone dungeon runs or Path of Exile

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

forza, although in my own experience I liked Horizon 3 more than 7

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25 gamer_152  Moderator

Forza Horizon has been one of my go-to podcast games. Unless you are playing all that competitively, races get pretty similar and there's a lot of side content to mindlessly scoop up.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Nev

I'll also nominate Dead Cells. Had a great time playing it earlier this year while watching stuff, and listening to podcasts. Put 40 hours in.

I'd also throw in Spelunky, Path of Exile, Warframe, and WoW. (or any other MMO of your choice)

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as I get some vacation time I'm planning on going back to Tekken 7, Darkest Dungeon and Stellaris. All of them should work fine as podcast games.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably not the most obvious choice, but there's a good chance I'll be playing Getting Over It on loop. I've beaten it about a dozen times so far, and I'm at the point were it just feels really relaxing to play.

lunacyeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just recently started playing mount and blade warband for the first time. im in the middle of a huge single player campaign trying to become queen and its easy to keep up with while listening to other stuff. highly recommend it to people who have any interest in medieval militarily history. might play some as creed black flag too , thats free on uplay right now.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to figure this one out. I used to just lie in bed and listen to them since they always went up at the crack of dawn here, but this year they're all 4+ hours and that's toooooo much to keep that tradition going.

Binding of Isaac is my go-to, but I've played so much that I don't see myself getting by on that game alone. Might use the time to play Pokemon Moon, because the music and dialogue in that series at this point have all just kinda run together. I can also see myself grinding levels in Persona 2 if I don't beat the final dungeon/boss this week. Tekken 7 is also a possibility, just because that treasure mode is really easy to zone out in.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna be playing Zelda Breath of the Wild as I'll finally be in the same country as my Switch which is currently sitting in a sealed box in my attic. Don't know if this'll be a good or bad idea.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Been trying to finish up hollow knight lately. Some of the boss runs in that game take quite a while, so I'm often listening to podcasts while I reach the boss and fill up my soul meter, and then pausing during the actual fight.

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By disco_drew22

Madden is the best podcast game. In a lot of ways, it just kind of plays itself!

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is this game called Ylands that I picked up recently. It's by the people who made ARMA, and It feels something like a more complex Minecraft. It works fairly well as a podcast game. Last year I played Astroneer, so maybe I'll check out what kind of updates that game has had as well.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find Roguelikes are good podcast games - my usual choices are Spelunky, Binding of Isacc, Enter the Gungeon, and this year I added Dead Cells to the list.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Unless I can come up with a chill game that I haven't already beaten, I might start another playthrough of Ōkami HD.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any open world game, picking up the question marks on maps

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chebbles said:

I find Roguelikes are good podcast games - my usual choices are Spelunky, Binding of Isacc, Enter the Gungeon, and this year I added Dead Cells to the list.

You should also add Dungeons of Dredmor to that list if you haven't played it. That and Rogue Legacy are probably my favorite Roguelikes.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By MocBucket62

I’ll also nominate Super Mario Odyssey just because simply searching for moons blends well with listening to podcasts. I’ll say Golf Story is a good podcast game too. Whether you’re playing quick play or the story itself, the game has a very mellow soundtrack and the characters only speak in dialogue bubbles. Plus the golfing and the different activities are fun and not too stressful. Shouldn’t be too distracting while listening to GOTY talks.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By forkboy

I'm kind of cheating because it's games that had expansions come out in 2017. I imagine I will play a lot of Total War Rome 2, (they just put out the Empire Divided DLC where I get to play as the most underrated Emperor, Aurelian, & reunite the Empire that's split into 3 during the Crisis of the Third Century), a lot of Crusader Kings 2 (because they just put out Jade Empire which adds interactions with China) & Project Highrise, which came out at the end of last year but totally past me by so I only ended up getting into it when some new DLC dropped. It's basically just a modern reworking of the classic SimTower which I have memories of playing at a friends in high school.

I will also play more Hearts of Iron 4 because Kaiserreich is the best mod and I've been in love with it since it was just the All the Russias mod for Hearts of Iron 2.

So basically strategy games out of the wazoo, games where I'd normally have the music muted so I can listen to my own tunes anyway.

(This is what I'd be playing normally except without Hitman, because I've not got any of the current gen of consoles so a lot of new titles have bypassed me.)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@chebbles said:

For me I end up concentrating too hard on roguelikes and tuning out the podcast and missing a lot, so I have to play completely mindless games like Diablo if I'm going to play anything at all.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mbdoeden

Elite: Dangerous

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Capum15

I re-bought Breath of the Wild on Switch (didn't have one when it launched, so I went with the WiiU version) due to the DLC stuff and also because I'm a crazy person, so that's a big one. Otherwise, Ghost Recon: Wildlands / Assassin's Creed: Origins / Heat Signature and maybe some Infinite Minigolf.

Wildlands is just a really chill collectathon for me and I still have a few zones to go through in it. I haven't started Origins but it seems similar, though with more story. Heat Signature is almost the perfect zone-out game for me. Just keep fuckin' up bad guys in space ships to get money for more tools to fuck up bad guys in space ships with. That game is so damn fun and Dual Concussion Hammers is the greatest weapon loadout. And Infinite Minigolf is a good minigolf game that pulls player-made courses while in Quick Play, so you basically never run out.

I'll also probably have them on in the background at work when I can.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mario Odyssey. Unlike Zelda that game doesnt really rely on atmosphere too much. I've also got through a lot of podcasts playing Nioh but i've done mostly everything in that game now including the dlc. Any game in that vein could be good though.

Avatar image for pancakepatriarchate
PancakePatriarchate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I plan on truckin' along to this behemoth while truckin' along IN a behemoth with American Truck Simulator. The podcasts really fly by between Elko and Yuma, I tell you wut.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Pokemon (any of them), Destiny 2, Stardew Valley, Mario Odyssey, Cuphead, Botw come to mind. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be playing though.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How about, using the podcast file you've downloaded so you can play it in MGS:V? Now thats the real thing!

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've been going full Euro Truck this year, they've added some fantastic content since that game came out. Started up American, but I think I'll wait for more states, as they just addded Italy to Euro truck, its a great way to get lost in a podcast. The driving is somewhat simple if you want it to be, and as you hire more drivers your time spent means more income, feels a lot like an incremental game at times. BoTW has the best sound in games other than MGS series so no multitasking for me on that one, 4th playthrough this year already.