GotG Final: Dark Souls vs. Mass Effect 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Final: Dark Souls vs. Mass Effect 2 (1858 votes)

Dark Souls 48%
Mass Effect 2 52%

Main thread

Full bracket

And so we reach the conclusion of the Giant Bomb Community Game of the Generation. We've had highs and lows over the last fortnight as the bracket was whittled down from 64 games to these final two. A massive 46,448 votes have been cast and hundreds of posts made debating, arguing and complaining about the choices the community has made. I'd like to thank everyone who voted and posted because it wouldn't have been any fun without all the community participation. From the beginning I was always more interested in why people voted for a game rather than what they voted for and the last two weeks have produced a lot of great, often heated discussion about the games that have come out in the last eight years. I think we can all at least agree that it's been an amazing generation for video games.

So duders, will it be Dark Souls or Mass Effect 2 that takes the incredibly important title of Game of the Generation?

Dark Souls (2011)

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Thursday.

• 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jimbo said:

@dixego: Only like ~4 people *have* played it. That seems kinda relevant considering what we're voting for. We're talking about Game of the Generation, not Slightly-Obscure-Cult-Hit-Which-Vinny-Happens-To-Like of the Generation.

Vinny also really loves Mass Effect 2. Vinny liking a game is fucking irrelevant.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PRAISE THE MOTHER FUCKIN' SUN

Amen! DS ftw

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite poll on the internet
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite poll on the internet

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is the kind of collusion that I can get behind.

So filthy, yet so beautiful.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Mass Effect 2 demo didn't sell me and I couldn't bring myself to play the first game for more than two hours. Dark Souls is wonderful, however.

The Vinny Effect in full swing pushing Dark Souls into the finals!

I voted ME2 because I think it is the superior game.

I don't know a Vinny.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Dixego

@jimbo said:

@dixego: Only like ~4 people *have* played it. That seems kinda relevant considering what we're voting for. We're talking about Game of the Generation, not Slightly-Obscure-Cult-Hit-Which-Vinny-Happens-To-Like of the Generation.

I'm pretty sure there's a ton of people here who have in fact fucking played Dark Souls, I don't see the Vinny connection, possibly because I'm not premium.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll replay these two games during the holidays. Also, the vids dun broke.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo: People have explained it to you numerous times, you're wrong. I don't give a shit about Deadly Premonition or Persona 4 either. It doesn't matter what the crew enjoys. Lots of people here loved Dark Souls long before Vinny began the feature.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRRR!!!!!!!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not hard to choose. Dark Souls still beats for me.

Mass Effect 2 is a fun game but it's not better than Dark Souls. It's not better than Mass Effect 1, either.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630 said:

@bushpusherr said:

@shinboy630 said:

Seriously...this is such a dismissive and lame copout. I'm honestly surprised how much I've seen it. People legitimately love this game and don't need Vinny's permission.

I know a lot of people legit love dark souls. This thread is evidence of that with all the people posting images/videos of their favorite moments, quotes, etc. Dark Souls arguably has one of the most enthusiastic fan bases of any recent game. It is all the other people that have not played it and are voting for it because Vinny has been playing it that have been really pushing it over the edge in a lot of the polls. At least it seems that way to me.

I personally haven't seen any evidence or posts of that happening at all. Are you just assuming it because you don't think Dark Souls could really be that well liked?

One thing we do know and have evidence for, however, are people that have not played Dark Souls and are still determined to vote against it whenever they can. We have people in this very thread saying as much.

You're a fool if you don't think Vinny playing Dark Souls doesn't help it significantly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@skytylz: Prove it. Put your money where your mouth is.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By CptBedlam

@skytylz: You Dark Souls naysayers sure are making up a lot of funny excuses. On other boards that I frequent (neogaf, a big German gaming forum) people would lean even stronger towards Dark Souls.

Plus, while I like LOLS, Vinny isn't even representing that game all that well. He's skipping all the lore etc.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#115  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Sorry Dark Souls, for as much as it hurts me, I'll go with Mass Effect 2 because... I'm not actually sure. I'd be fine with either of these games. I just picked one to see the results.

ToniMcKernt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidwitten22: i totally get that. and maybe it was unfair to reply directly to you, when this is a thing that happens all over the place and 99% of people do/did it. maybe it's good enough that peeps will check out games they haven't tried before because of this poll.

i really like and enjoyed both of these games and probably have 200h+ in both games. DaS takes it for me because it surprised me and reminded me of games that i didn't think would be made anymore. there is true satisfaction in beating the bosses and getting better at it. there's this amazing feeling that you get when you beat bosses without even getting hit - the same bosses that screwed you and made you put down the game for a day, when you encountered them in your first playthrough.

having said that, i don't really like demons souls. maybe it' just because i played DaS first, idk. i never finished DeS.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I adore Dark Souls. I adore Vinny. I'm watching LOLS at this very moment. But I voted for Mass Effect 2 because I enjoyed it more.

Did I just blow your mind, @skytylz?

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Dark Souls does gaming right. There's so much to play there, and while it's not infinitely replayable, I never replay games right after I beat them. I did with Dark Souls.

Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game though, but while I really enjoyed the Mass Effect world, and the story contained within, Dark Souls is so amazing that I have to vote for it.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Both games are no where close to being Game of the Generation quality but Dark Souls had the better quick look and wasn't made by EA so I voted for that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Did not expect Dark Souls to be winning, but as I much prefer it to Mass Effect 2 I can't complain.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's go Dark Souls *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

I really enjoyed ME2 that time I beat it right after it came out. Not once have I had any desire to go back and play it again.

I really enjoyed Dark Souls that time I beat it right after it came out. At least once a month since then I've wanted to jump back in and keep playing new builds. Then I bought the PC version and continued there. I also found myself playing a lot more games in general after my first run. In a way it was responsible for bringing my enjoyment of video games back to where it was 10+ years ago. Dark Souls.. It's a hell of a drug.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

VBOMB just defeated Kalameet. This deserves a Dark Souls win.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz said:

@bushpusherr said:

@shinboy630 said:

@bushpusherr said:

@shinboy630 said:

Seriously...this is such a dismissive and lame copout. I'm honestly surprised how much I've seen it. People legitimately love this game and don't need Vinny's permission.

I know a lot of people legit love dark souls. This thread is evidence of that with all the people posting images/videos of their favorite moments, quotes, etc. Dark Souls arguably has one of the most enthusiastic fan bases of any recent game. It is all the other people that have not played it and are voting for it because Vinny has been playing it that have been really pushing it over the edge in a lot of the polls. At least it seems that way to me.

I personally haven't seen any evidence or posts of that happening at all. Are you just assuming it because you don't think Dark Souls could really be that well liked?

One thing we do know and have evidence for, however, are people that have not played Dark Souls and are still determined to vote against it whenever they can. We have people in this very thread saying as much.

You're a fool if you don't think Vinny playing Dark Souls doesn't help it significantly.

Anyone who thinks it does is just reaching for excuses. And honestly, even if someone resigned themselves to believing it was making an impact, to say it's significant? Give me a break. People love Dark Souls, get over it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By CptBedlam
@villainy said:
I also found myself playing a lot more games in general after my first run. In a way it was responsible for bringing my enjoyment of video games back to where it was 10+ years ago. Dark Souls.. It's a hell of a drug.

Same here.

Although, right after playing Dark Souls for an obsessive amount of hours (like 300), I couldn't get into other games anymore for a while. I tried, but they felt... meaningless. I don't know, it's hard to describe. I had to acclimate myself again for "normal" games that didn't offer that use that same huge sense of risk and reward.

HisHeroIsGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls over Mass Effect 2. Even though Demon's Souls is even better.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all very stupid.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Gotta go with Dark Souls, Mass Effect is pretty dang great and deserves to be in the discussion but its' shortcomings are greater than Dark Souls. From the bits of played of them ME2 is not even the best in its series.

Dark Souls was a game in a way games haven't been in a very long time. Really had a supreme mix of strategic combat action, Metroidvania exploration, innovative PVP concept for a single player genre and dynamic play with none of the handholding that too many games have today, while giving the player enough tools to be able to overcome obstacles.

Major Mitch made an excellent blog comparing to old school Zelda and he's totally right.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/majormitch/blog/will-the-real-zelda-please-stand-up/95572/

Mass Effect is a grand spectacle of a series with even grander ambitions, but mechanically it just doesn't hold up to Dark Souls in execution. Dark Souls if it wins is a deserving champion of GotG.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#128  Edited By recroulette

I'm copying and pasting my thoughts on Vinny's potential influence on Dark Souls votes because goddamnit you folks, it's a non issue.

"Here's what has me thinking, I know that the Dark Souls fanbase is huge. However, I can't help but wonder what effect LOLS has on the voting.

To say "Oh it's only winning because of LOLS" is crazy because Monster Hunter would not be winning if it was in the same spot, and Vinny probably wouldn't be playing Dark Souls if it was as bad as people against it think it is.

You can't discredit the voting because of it, because there's no way to prove one way or the other, I just find it interesting."

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Gruff182

Kindle, +5 lighting that shit and prepare for jolly co-operation.

We're taking this bitch down.

\o/

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Haha, that pool swung heavily in the last 30 minutes, something like 5-6%

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 2, I would've gone with you to the end, but this is the part where YOU DIED.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#132  Edited By Nux

I like Mass Effect 2 a lot but I have to go with Dark Souls.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Just a quick reminder, the winner of this bout goes on to fight the super-secret hidden boss of all games, Disgaea 4. Obviously Disgaea 4 would win, so we won't bother having an official poll, so you can all consider that your unofficial (but totally official) GotG. Thank you, please drive through.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

The amount of rage that will spew from some of the ME2 contingent if Dark Souls wins will be staggering.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Though Mass Effect 2 was the only game in that series i liked, the gameplay was a chore and i didn't feel like it held up to Bioware's earlier works. What it did right was to put modular writing in it's RPG, missions played out like episodes that fleshed out the sci fi universe. The problem with it, that universe and it's characters are the only thing good about it, gameplay falls flat.

Dark Souls puts it's emphasis on gameplay rather than story but brings back a sense of creative character design to carry the context. Not only is it mechanically rewarding but the motivation to persevere through this world just to see what's new around the corner felt more rewarding than a linear story giving you only the illusion of personal decisions through binary choices.

It's interesting that it's come down to these two games as i feel one favors the context of storytelling in games and the other favors mechanics in games.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really know how I feel about Dark Souls winning (don't get me wrong, I voted for it), I just kinda wasn't expecting it.

All things considered, I'm glad I'm not one of the people who's capable of taking this all too seriously, 'cause I'd probably be pissed right now.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 212

Really tough fight. At this point I no longer mind who wins, because both games are on my list of all-time greats. Happy to be in harmony with the vox populi.

(go dark souls)

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By OGinOR

The only thing in the universe with more fanboys than Sony is Dark/Demon Souls. It's not a better or more innovative game than any of the games it has beaten so far. How this game is more than a footnote to this generation is just beyond me.

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before I finally played Dark Souls, I never would have imagined it being one of the best games I've ever played and good Lord is it replayable. It has the most hours played of any game on my steam list including ME2 which I played a ton and loved a lot. It's just such an incredibly deep game and pure video game. It's the best 3D Castlevania game Konami never made and best thing Japan has done in years. It sunk its hooks in me and hasn't let go after half a dozen playthroughs. Praise the Sun!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#140  Edited By Brendan

SO CLOSE I LOVE IT

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

God, kill it! Someone, kill it now! Uniqueness does not greatness make.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

Can't fathom why people love Mass Effect 2 or Dark Souls? All that means is you were not able to enjoy something that a lot of people were capable of enjoying, and for some your natural reaction may be to find fault with the game and even those who were able to greatly enjoy it. Before you open the gates of hate, just remember: not everything is for you.

And that's the memo.

But what fun is this whole scumbag bracket if we can't let some hate flow through us?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been predicting this match up since day one. I've voted for Dark Souls every time up until this point, but for some reason felt compelled to vote Mass Effect. Perhaps I'm losing my mind and turning hollow.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Trilogy

Dark souls is pretty cool, but it's framerate is fucking garbage. I used to think it was just me since I played the 360 version, but apparently it's just total ass everywhere. Kind of a big deal when the game asks you to patiently play well. I still like it, but I love ME2 far more and it's a game without any serious flaws.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Souls Hate Brigade is really slackin' off right now. If Dark Souls gets a clean victory, I'll be very disappointed.

WE NEED MORE DRAMA.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 212

@corporalgregg: Well, the best 3D Castlevania game Konami never made is actually Pandora's Tower, but I can see where you're coming from with the comparison. It's certainly better than comparing it to a roguelike, am I right Ian?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BREAKING: Senior sources at GBHQ have just confirmed with us their handsome colleague, Vincent "Dreamy Smile" Caravella, will NOT be stepping out with anybody just because they support his favourite game of this week, 'Dark Souls', in the currently ongoing GB Game of the Generation final vote. Vinny "Lush Guns" Caravella has so far been unavailable for comment, but is understood to be a happily married man.

Experts have been surprised to see Mr. Caravella's recent infatuation with 'Dark Souls' carry the little-known frustrate em' up so far in the competition, but predict that these latest revelations may well lead to an untimely slump in support for the plucky underdog.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry Dark Souls, for as much as it hurts me, I'll go with Mass Effect 2 because... I'm not actually sure. I'd be fine with either of these games. I just picked one to see the results.

@marokai said:

I adore Dark Souls. I adore Vinny. I'm watching LOLS at this very moment. But I voted for Mass Effect 2 because I enjoyed it more.

Did I just blow your mind, @skytylz?

No Caption Provided