GotG Round 1: Fable II vs. Rock Band

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

Poll GotG Round 1: Fable II vs. Rock Band (616 votes)

Fable II 30%
Rock Band 70%

Main thread

Full bracket

Peter Molyneux's balls are on the line as Lionhead's whimsical RPG taken on Harmonix's multi-instrument music game.

Fable II (2008)

What the community has to say:

If you immerse yourself in the world of Albion, you will be richly rewarded. Don't come in looking for a straight-forward, set-path RPG. There's more to this game than swords and monsters. You're supposed to raise families, get jobs, interact with villagers, and watch your hero grow and flourish. You will get out of Fable II what you put into it, and if you invest the time and effort, the rewards are oh-so-sweet.

From user review by @stevieq

Rock Band (2007)

What the community has to say:

Rock Band is one of the best packages currently on the market, it has very strong replay value, a good sense of fun with friends and one of the best setlists (DLC included) ever made. What can I say? You really haven't lived until you've given Rock Band a try, it's social, it's crazy, it's always gonna keep you coming back for more and the most important part. It's fun.

From user review by @frenchfriedfool

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Tuesday.

• 
AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Easily Rockband for me. One of the best party games ever made.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Fable II is really good game. Rock Band changed video games.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only played Rock Band a few times, but I played Fable 2 enough to know I didn't like it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Fable II because I'm a troll.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Rock Band because it pretty much perfected the rhythm game genre, which, for better or worse, was a major part of this gen.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm really just trying to figure out what people like so much about Fable 2. It's a solid Action RPG with a good sense of humor, but I wouldn't call any of its aspects particularly exemplary.

Meanwhile, Rock Band is the reason we all know who John T. Drake is. Case closed.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really like either of these games but I'll vote for Fable since it isn't a game involving plastic guitars.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Fable 2 was amazing.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Why is Rock Band on here and not Rock Band 3? Poor choice to represent the entire series, as it was easily the worst game of the three.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Fable II was great.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found so much more fun from Rockband.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

Oh my god, Rock Band easily. That toy instrument shit was phenomenal.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is Rock Band on here and not Rock Band 3? Poor choice to represent the entire series, as it was easily the worst game of the three.

It had the most impact on the industry. The three games are similar enough that you can consider this entry to symbolically represent the series.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

One of my favorite memories of high school was trying to effectively play expert guitar through a stream of joyful tears while cracking up over a friend improvising lyrics to "Get Up, Stand Up" and still hitting all the notes. Fable 2 was one of the most boring games I played all generation. Pretty easy choice.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#15  Edited By Marino  Staff

Fable II is probably one of my top 10 this gen, but Rock Band is special.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got to say Rock Band, I think. Heck, I just picked up Rock Band 3 last week (I was in the mood for some karaoke). I was looking back over my download history to re-download all the songs I had. Man, it's crazy how much of a constant that franchise has been throughout the generation. I could see myself returning to it several times based on the songs I picked up. Fable II is pretty great, but Rock Band was kind of a movement. Rock Band could justifiably win this entire thing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'd argue that both are overrated to some degree, but Rock Band is an excellent game while Fable II is another victim of Molyneux-hype.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

man this is probably the easiest poll in a while.

rock band was super influential in many ways

fable 2 is just a quality product.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy.

Rock Band.

Fable 2 was a disappointing mess. It was also not what they said it was and cheats the player out of any investment they make in the game. Fable 2 is probably the most disappointing game ever made.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I don't even know how Fable 2 is even in this competition, I was completely disinterested after a few hours.

Doesn't matter either way, my last year of college was pretty much drinking and playing Rock Band every damn weekend, so how could I not vote for it? Such good times with a great party game.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By audiosnow

I played Fable 2 for two solid weeks. Those stupid, plastic instruments took up valuable space in my apartment.

Rock Band was much more influential, but even so, because of those plastic monstrosities, I voted for Fable 2.

EDIT: Massive hyperbole in this thread, and I've no doubt that'll continue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got into the whole plastic instruments rhythm game nonsense this generation(though I did play a shit load of Rock Band Unplugged) and, although I don't think it deserves to make it to round 2, I did really like my time with Fable II.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tom_omb

Fable 2 gets my vote. My favorite game in my favorite Xbox franchise for its sense of humor, light fantasy world and simple, fun combat.

I've never played a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game. Rhythm games don't sound like my kind of fun.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call Fable 2 game of the generation material but I've never been able to get into rhythm games sooo...

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck rhythm games! In the butt!

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Rock Band 3. I don't understand this competition. Fable sucks.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Definitely the funniest matchup.

I absolutely loved Fable II though. I think it's very underrated. Picked up where the Zelda games left off for me. One of the most fun setting to play a game in is Albion. Love the fancy, super British fantasy world.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By crithon

I feel sad for Fable 2, I really do. This is basically curb stomped just being compared with a revolution.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By csl316

When I was unemployed for a couple months, Rock Band was my go-to for nonstop fun. Even when I played by myself. Having random karaoke sessions break out all over was memorable, too.

Fable II froze on my a half hour in and I never played again. Not fair, but I just never got back to it.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Love you Fable (1) Love you forever ;_;

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Finally, one I'm qualified to vote on! Fable II gave me a ton of fun back in my Freshman year of college, so it wins.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By GS_Dan

I will be disappointed in all of you if RB doesn't win this.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I don't have friends, so Rock Band was a demonstrably less rich experience for me than for most other people. It was still a damn fun game even in SP, but the whole thing was still kind of a bummer for me.

Fable II is an incredibly charming and witty game with underrated combat and a strong visual style. It's pretty basic as far as RPG mechanics go, but it's a game with a lot of heart. It gets my vote here, even though this one is clearly going to be a win for Rock Band.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rock Band is one of my favorite franchises of this gen. Spending countless hours trying to gold star songs and playing Green Grass and High Tides on expert guitar over and over until I finally beat it was so satisfying. I thought Fable 2 was a little overrated and still think the first Fable was the best.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rock Band was my favorite party game of this gen

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Rock Band was so awesome, even casuals love it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37 gamer_152  Moderator

Rock Band. The charm and whimsy of Fable II was wonderful, but the way that Rock Band took the Guitar Hero concept (which was already excellent) and expanded it out to be this full band experience was mind-blowing. It was really fun with other people or alone, it had a great soundtrack, and it was really satisfying both in the short-term and long-term.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been playing Guitar Hero since the first one on the PS2, so by the time Rock Band came around I was already getting tired of the plastic instrument phenomenon, especially since I don't care for drums or karaoke. I also played Fable II to absolute completion. It was janky as hell, but I really liked it. Fable II for me.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fable II was easily one of the worst 360 games I've ever played. Half-assed all the way though. Rock Band, on the other hand, is the shiznit.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By forkboy

I'm desperately going to miss rhythm games in the next gen. The real guitar of Rocksmith is more practical, but it's just not as fun as sitting around drunk with some friends, hitting the drum, strumming the guitar & singing your heart out to some classic songs. I love that shit so much. It's just fun, & I don't need anything else from games but fun. Whereas Fable II was really just kind of the usual disappointment from Molyneux & co.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Deranged

Lolwut? Rock Band was an awesome game but I've never been a big fan of party/music games. The facade died out quick for me. Fable 2 was one of my favourite RPG experiences of the 360 and I thought it was incredibly charming.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Rockband is pretty much the worst game I can think of.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Rock Band seems to take the whole bracket for me from Street Fighter IV, so long as Fez, Super Meat Boy, and Deadly Premonition are already out. So.

Fable II's neat, but it's not so cool to take down what could have always been my #1 seed.

That said, I have a feeling Rock Band's chances would be a lot better if it were Rock Band 2, which just works better and has a better soundtrack.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why not Rockband vs Colonial marines? Rockband vs Driver? Rockband vs air guitar?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mracoon

Rock Band wows the crowd with 70% of the votes and 600 votes cast.