GotG Round 1: Fallout 3 vs. Just Cause 2

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Fallout 3 vs. Just Cause 2 (728 votes)

Fallout 3 75%
Just Cause 2 25%

Main thread

Full bracket

How much AP does it take to pull off a stunt position?

Fallout 3 (2008)

What the community has to say:

Fallout 3 is a game that anyone who enjoys RPGs can get into. If you are curious about RPGs this is a great place to start. It is an excellent American RPG that will really wow most people who follow the strange and alluring fiction, both through the dialogue and through the design of the world as a whole.

From user review by @crono

Just Cause 2 (2010)

What the community has to say:

Just Cause 2 is a game where the craziest things can happen with just a few button presses. It's an extremely unrealistic game that defies pretty much every law of physics, but the end result is something really special that shouldn't be missed by anyone.

From user review by @natetodamax

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Tuesday.

• 
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey

Fallout 3 wins just cause.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Fallout 3, even though I'm pretty sure I have Just Cause 2 languishing in my Steam library.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Just Cause 2 is great and all, but...

When one dog ain't enough, and two is too low...

Man, I played so much Fallout 3. Over 200 hours, between my two playthroughs. That's a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout: New Vegas

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

fallout 3? they should change the name to failout 3 actually. just cause 2 is the best game of all time

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Why'd I vote for Fallout 3? Just cause I liked it 2 much.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By development

Still can't believe Fallout 3 beat New Vegas. It was better in almost every conceivable way. My guess is that not enough people played it. Anyway, since it's the crappy Fallout 3, I futilely cast my vote for JC 2.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fallout 3 is my game of the generation. I feel that it was a better game than both New Vegas and Just Cause 2.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SlashDance

Cue New Vegas nazis telling everybody how wrong they are for liking Fallout 3.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dogmeat is my favorite companion in any game I've played.

Still can't believe Fallout 3 beat New Vegas. It was better in almost every conceivable way. My guess is that not enough people played it. Anyway, since it's the crappy Fallout 3, I futilely cast my vote for JC 2.

I played both. NV improved a lot of things, but even the better story and gameplay changes couldn't shake the feeling I was playing a TC. The jump from 3 to NV was marked. The jump from 2 to 3 was stunning.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Canteu

Fallout 3 is my game of the generation.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Just Cause 2 but Fallout 3 is a much more accomplished game. Sorry, Just Cause, I love you but Dogmeat wins it for me.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Gotta go with Just Cause 2 here. Much as I loved New Vegas, I found Fallout 3's world and story oppressively staid and drab in comparison; can't bring myself to vote for it over a game where I have spent countless joyful hours smashing airplanes into oil rigs.

Cue New Vegas nazis telling everybody how wrong they are for liking Fallout 3.

Yaaaay Godwin's Law!

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By laserbolts

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of this generation so I have to vote for it here. Had some fun with Just Cause 2 though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Just Cause 2 won't win but just know that I voted for it and that's what counts.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I had a good time with Fallout 3. V.A.T.S. was a fun system to what's otherwise a pretty bad shooter. Just Cause 2 is just insanity though. The limitless parachute, the Pursuit Force vehicle hijacking, and that amazing grappling hook never get old. I remember the driving to be loose and arcadey, and the shooting sericeable and generic, but that grappling hook man. Geez.

http://i.minus.com/ixcyYmZTt7Dor.gif

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sinusoidal

This one is a shame. I think Fallout 3 is technically the better game, but I had a whole lot more pure fun with Just Cause 2. Bethesda and whoever made Just Cause 2 need to get together and make a Fallout game with the mechanics of Just Cause. Holy shit that would rule!

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People voting for Fallout 3 are basically saying "I don't like fun"

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, Fallout 3. But man, Just Cause 2. But seriously, Fallout 3. I mean, come on.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrfluke

fallout 3.

briansanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 easily.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Cause 2 is some of the most pure open world fun I've had in a very long time. It's terribly flawed, but I can't help loving it. Fallout 3's combat kept me from ever getting in deep. Which is a shame, because I think they made a pretty cool ass world.

Just Cause 2, I adore thee.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Just Cause 2 has a grappling hook! Not enough games have grappling hooks, period.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just Cause 2 by a mile. I know this isn't the common opinion.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#25  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@TheHT: Man, that GIF is so good and so representative of why JC2 is just pure fun.

@sinusoidal said:

This one is a shame. I think Fallout 3 is technically the better game, but I had a whole lot more pure fun with Just Cause 2.

Same here, my friend. How can you not have fun with that crazy fucking grappling hook?!?!

I did play a lot of Fallout 3 though, so it is definitely no slouch.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't like Fallout, but I never played Just Cause 2, so I can't rightfully vote for it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Cause 2 has the better mods out of the two games. JC2 Multiplayer is some of the most fun I've had with any game this generation.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Just Cause 2 is awesome fun but Fallout 3 was a really good game. A lot of pressure and it delivered for sure.

If Just Cause 2 didn't have the absolute worst story and voice acting and even missions it could have been one of the very best games of the gen, like definitely top 5 for me. I played it for a long while just ignoring the missions which is super rare. Props to all the mechanics and the look of the game for keeping me but man, Avalanche, work on the rest because you are so close to making a gem of a game.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By flasaltine

@mlarrabee said:

Dogmeat is my favorite companion in any game I've played.

@development said:

I played both. NV improved a lot of things, but even the better story and gameplay changes couldn't shake the feeling I was playing a TC. The jump from 3 to NV was marked. The jump from 2 to 3 was stunning.

The jump from 2 to 3 was disappointing and terrible.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By audiosnow

@flacracker: I don't mean to say that it was the best possible transition into 3D; I think NV was a better sequel to the classics. But while NV had a foundation to build on (not to mention a completed game engine) Fallout 3 had to innovate so much more. NV made a beautiful jump. 3's wasn't as pretty but it jumped a lot farther.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both great games, but I have to go with Fallout 3 sheerly because I played it, and finished it, so many times.

Just cause 2 is really fun chaos, but I never could actually finish it. I do go back to it sometimes but it's mechanics are more fun to mess with than actually getting through the game- if that makes any sense.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Trying to get into fallout 3, but man it keeps crashing every single time it loads up.

And Just Cause 2 really put me off with it's gun controls even though I love dumb fun

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man fallout 3 wasn't even very good in general

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By development

@sinusoidal said:

This one is a shame. I think Fallout 3 is technically the better game, but I had a whole lot more pure fun with Just Cause 2. Bethesda and whoever made Just Cause 2 need to get together and make a Fallout game with the mechanics of Just Cause. Holy shit that would rule!

Hah! Dude, have you seen the latest teaser gameplay from Mad Max? It's pretty much exactly that.

Loading Video...

It's the next game by the Just Cause 2 guys.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

Hah! Dude, have you seen the latest teaser gameplay from Mad Max? It's pretty much exactly that.

Loading Video...

It's the next game by the Just Cause 2 guys.

Lets pray there is some kind of grappling hook so I can grapple a motorcycle rider off his bike and drag him behind my whip at 100 mph.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: They really fucked up if they don't at least make a weapon that has some kind of similar mechanic. Your comment makes me want a proper Road Rash sequel.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Just Cause 2 does a few things amazingly well, but then you realize that's literally all it does. It lacks the same kind of substance and long-term value as Fallout 3, even if JC2 is objectively the better playing game. The quality of its action is undeniable and it's a great game to just fuck around in, but Fallout 3, man.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: They really fucked up if they don't at least make a weapon that has some kind of similar mechanic. Your comment makes me want a proper Road Rash sequel.

Oh man I've been waiting years for that. And EA keeps teasing. Maybe next gen. It makes a lot of sense with the drop in drop out multiplayer all these racers have now.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Fallout 3 enough, but Just Cause 2 rewarded creativity and dexterity in such an amazing way, I can't not go with that.

Also, it just occurred to me that Just Cause 2 would have been approximately 280% less enjoyable trying to play without having a mouse. You NEED extremely fast and accurate aim to get the most out of that game.

Also, Bolo Santosi.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Messed around a LOT with Just Cause 2 and its god mode. A LOT. Loved that game.

If I could vote for both I would, but the atmosphere of Fallout 3 wins it for me, what a fun, engrossing experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Fallout 3, though I much prefer New Vegas and am disappointed it didn't win.

Just Cause 2 was okay. The controls kinda sucked and I hated how you have to rebuy vehicles every time they get destroyed. Loved all the Easter eggs and crazy shit though.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Moonshadow101

It's a fucking travesty that F3 beat New Vegas, but it's still better than JC2.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to play though all of Just Cause 2 so bad, but it's one of those games that make me nauseous while playing.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

At first I was pissed off because I accidentally voted for Just Cause 2, then I saw the poll results and now I don't mind that much.

To answer the question though, the winner is definitely Fallout 3 for me. Just Cause 2 is a fun game and all, but Fallout 3 is either my favourite game of this generation or in the top 3 (haven't worked it out completely yet.)

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slashdance: It's not that Fallout 3 is a bad game by any standard and it's probably a hell of a lot more important than NV, but NV managed to up the ante in every concievable way even though it was rushed out the door by developers. F3 is still a waaaaay better game than Just Cause 2

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#46  Edited By Danteveli

Just Cause 2 is way crazier game and it has so many wicked moments. Fallout 3 was a letdown for fans of the original as it was just Oblivion with guns but somehow i can guess its gonna win this confrontation.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

This is a much tougher call than some of these I've seen before. But for me it's Just Cause 2. Fallout 3 is great, but Just Cause 2 is... well, it's incredible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Fallout 3 is still incredibly fun to play and explore. Just Cause 2 had shitty gunplay mechanics and never lived up to my expectations.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Cause 2 is way crazier game and it has so many wicked moments. Fallout 3 was a letdown for fans of the original as it was just Oblivion with guns but somehow i can guess its gonna win this confrontation.

You say that like it's a bad thing. And I was a huge fan of Fallout 1 and 2, and still loved Fallout 3. Was it a different experience from the first two games? Sure, but I was expecting that.

Fallout 3 all the way for me. I spent about 100 hours with that game. Just Cause 2 was a good game, but there's only so much fun I'll have just playing around in a sandbox. The actual story was awful.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 was a great game, but Just Cause 2 is some of the most fun I've had in a game, and still looks amazing. It's not going to win, but I loved everything about it except for the stronghold missions.