GotG Round 1: Grand Theft Auto V vs. Sleeping Dogs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Grand Theft Auto V vs. Sleeping Dogs (915 votes)

Grand Theft Auto V 48%
Sleeping Dogs 52%

Main thread

Full bracket

To finish off round 1 we've got an open world bloodbath but are the streets running red in Hong Kong or Los Santos?

Grand Theft Auto V (2013)

What the community has to say:

Rockstar has successfully made another great GTA game, with enough new elements and twists to keep you playing through its long story. The heists are a wonderful addition to the series, and the 3 playable protagonists introduce a new dynamic that could be the next big thing with open-world games.

From user review by @daiphyer

Sleeping Dogs (2012)

What the community has to say:

Its hard to believe a game with the troubled development that Sleeping Dogs had ended up being so good. United Front Games succeeds with Sleeping Dogs by designing an open world game around fun elements, and not the other way around. For me personally, Sleeping Dogs is the first open world game to combine great individual elements into something that I highly recommend to anyone.

From user review by @geflato

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Thursday.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have much fonder memories of Sleeping Dogs.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By BisonHero

@mb said:

I bet GTA V wins this one if only because more people played it and never even touched Sleepy Dogs.

Yeah, a lot of these polls are gonna go that way.

That, or people will vote against whichever game they irrationally hate. Heavy Rain probably has a pretty uphill battle because even though David Cage's games are interesting to play and a bunch of people played Heavy Rain, the endings of Quantic Dream games are generally atrocious. I have to assume more people played Heavy Rain than Ghost Trick, yet Ghost Trick is winning that poll. Which is awesome, because Ghost Trick deserves to win.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is way closer than I thought it would be.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels like every bombcast had the bombcrew bashing on GTA5

So Sleeping Dogs

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

this makes sense im going with Sleeping Dogs.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By crithon

I voted sleeping dogs, it's not bad, reminds me of watching 90s hong kong cop action films. The combat is excellent, it looks pretty sharp.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sleeping Dogs is definitely the quicklook series of the year. I haven't actually played it, so I'm going to toss my vote to GTA. This poll is close!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fuck you for making me choose.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"A man who doesn't vote for Sleepy Dawgs isn't a whole man."

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By bacongames

WEI SHEN WEI SHEN WEI SHEN

Go Sleeping Dogs!

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jkz

I enjoyed GTA V for my time with it. Good story, well refined mechanics, all that.

I've played through Sleeping Dogs twice and continue to play it. To me, that game refined so many open world mechanics to such a fine point, and built such a beautiful and varied environment, that all its other weaknesses sort of faded into the background. Among my favorite games of this gen, which GTA V isn't; now RDR on the other hand...that's rough

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

GTA V is cool and all, but Sleeping Dogs.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I've only played five or so hours of GTAV, but from what Ive played, what i've seen, what i've heard, there is little i like about it.

While Sleeping Dogs doesn't offer much new in its gameplay, every part is really well constructed and flows nicely into the next. Gunplay into hand-to-hand, driving into hijacking. It all feels right. Little about Sleeping Dogs is superfluous.

lubermans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus, only on GB could this be so close. So yeah, Sleeping Dogs!! LETS DO THIS

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason sleeping dogs is tied with gta5 is because of all the awesome quicklooks. If it wasn't for that it wouldnt have such a following here.

I mean i beat it and loved it, but it doesn't have shit on GTA5 guys. get real.

And this is precisely why this bracket system is awful.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

My hatred of Rockstar characters puts me in the Sleeping Dogs camp. Also, I liked Sleeping Dogs a lot.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You can't beat 100%, except Sleeping Dogs just did!

No Caption Provided

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@clonedzero: It's not like another system could really account for specific site anomalies like this one or how Dota 2 crushed League of Legend which would have never happened anywhere else.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#69  Edited By Slag
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By Dalai

I didn't really want to vote since I didn't get to play GTA V yet, but I have to vote Sleeping Dogs. That game is ridiculously fun on many levels and I could really use a pork bun.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#71  Edited By Hailinel
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

@clonedzero: It's not like another system could really account for specific site anomalies like this one or how Dota 2 crushed League of Legend which would have never happened anywhere else.

I'm just saying this entire bracket is stupid and fundamentally flawed. I'm guessing half the people that voted for sleeping dogs didn't even play the damn game. Which is a shame cus its a great game.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By devilzrule27

Sleeping Dogs is one of my top 5 favourite games of this generation, so yeah I voted for that.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SLEEPY DAAWWWWGGGGGSSSS GO GO GO GO GO

DO IT FOR WEI SHEN MOTHERFUCKER

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@chop said:

GTA V is the better game in every aspect. My head tells me to vote for GTA V...

I voted for Sleeping Dogs.

Duder this same thing just happened to me.

Though to be fair the combat in Sleepy D is better, but y'all know what I mean.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Been left wanting by both of the current-gen GTAs (though Ballad of Gay Tony was a good romp). I was hoping they would go balls out in V and whilst it did peak at times (the cargo plane highjack mission with Trevor reminded me of the good old days of San Andreas), the run-up to the finale was just a lot of driving and shooting dudes, and didn't really provide a challenge or an intense atmosphere that I feel even IV succeeded in its finale (went with Ending C for reference). Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe Rockstar is moving away from what I originally wanted out of newer entries from that franchise. Sleeping Dogs on the other hand, came out of left field and shot way above my non-existent expectations. Having a good melee combat system in an open world game is not something you see every day. Couple that with loose gun play/vehicle controls, a unique setting (not many Hong Kong based games out there) and a serviceable story and you got yourself a hell of a game.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Coafi

@demoskinos said:

If GTA V loses I'll.... I'll well... I'll do nothing but... DAMMIT YOU GUYS. *storms off*

I'll do the same. Man, this poll is tough! I've played both games and enjoyed both a lot. But GTAV's world feels more alive with more things to do and maybe because I've also played a ton of the online portion soooo.... GTAV gets my vote since I've spent way more time with it.

The only reason sleeping dogs is tied with gta5 is because of all the awesome quicklooks. If it wasn't for that it wouldnt have such a following here.

I mean i beat it and loved it, but it doesn't have shit on GTA5 guys. get real.

And this is precisely why this bracket system is awful.

And I completely agree with what Clonedzero said here.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jclane said:

Been left wanting by both of the current-gen GTAs (though Ballad of Gay Tony was a good romp). I was hoping they would go balls out in V and whilst it did peak at times (the cargo plane highjack mission with Trevor reminded me of the good old days of San Andreas), the run-up to the finale was just a lot of driving and shooting dudes, and didn't really provide a challenge or an intense atmosphere that I feel even IV succeeded in its finale (went with Ending C for reference). Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe Rockstar is moving away from what I originally wanted out of newer entries from that franchise. Sleeping Dogs on the other hand, came out of left field and shot way above my non-existent expectations. Having a good melee combat system in an open world game is not something you see every day. Couple that with loose gun play/vehicle controls, a unique setting (not many Hong Kong based games out there) and a serviceable story and you got yourself a hell of a game.

I don't think that Rockstar will ever take GTA back to the more insane days of San Andreas, outside of the occasional moment here or there. GTAIV and V both have shown that they intend something different for the series now. Saints Row has taken over the role of leader in the open world lunacy category, and Sleeping Dogs managed to carve out a solid niche for itself with its setting and premise despite the handicap of starting off as a True Crime game. I think this is all really just indicative of the fact that the genre has moved well beyond the days when open world crime titles were almost universally considered GTA clones; gameplay, themes, and tone are all varied enough across the board now that one series can't really be all things for all people anymore.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I'm just saying this entire bracket is stupid and fundamentally flawed. I'm guessing half the people that voted for sleeping dogs didn't even play the damn game. Which is a shame cus its a great game.

The point of this little competition is to figure out what Giant Bomb's Game of the Generation is. It's not flawed because you think LoL would win at another site or GTA V would definitely win at another site. It's not "The entire world's opinions GOTG", it's Giant Bomb's GOTG. That's a COMPLETELY different thing.

And I don't think it's possibly to do a non "stupid and fundamentally flawed" game of the generation bracket. It's just for fun.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Wei is GTAV the better game

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I admit I'm a little surprised to see Sleepy Dawgs winning. This will be a close one.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs is less open-world and more arcadish but I gotta pick it for the HK undercover cop setting (Infernal Affairs is my favourite movie of all time, go figure). I enjoyed GTA but it was "been there, done that". Plus driving on the left(correct) side of the road.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

@pr1mus said:

The point of this little competition is to figure out what Giant Bomb's Game of the Generation is. It's not flawed because you think LoL would win at another site or GTA V would definitely win at another site. It's not "The entire world's opinions GOTG", it's Giant Bomb's GOTG. That's a COMPLETELY different thing.

And I don't think it's possibly to do a non "stupid and fundamentally flawed" game of the generation bracket. It's just for fun.

But even so. Do people actually think Sleeping Dogs is a better game? Or even deserves to be on the "best of the generation" possibility roster?

Also the bracket system works for SPORT TEAMS, but for voting best game of the generation its awful. It makes no sense. Two extremely strong contenders might be put against each other and one gets eliminated, yet the one that gets eliminated is a better contender than half the other winners of that round.

It's a dumb Gamefaqs style popularity contest. And i will continue to bitch about it as long as this shit is continued to be spammed in the forums. I've only vote in a few of these despite there being a spamtastic amount of them. Why so few? Because i only vote in the ones where i've played both games in question. Is that the case for everyone? NOPE.

Call me captain killjoy but this whole thing is really poorly implemented and planned out. Mark my words. No one is going to be satisfied with the finalists, let alone the winner.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By bigjeffrey

This shit is Fixed

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidwitten22 said:

@clonedzero said:

@pr1mus said:

But even so. Do people actually think Sleeping Dogs is a better game? Or even deserves to be on the "best of the generation" possibility roster?

Also the bracket system works for SPORT TEAMS, but for voting best game of the generation its awful. It makes no sense. Two extremely strong contenders might be put against each other and one gets eliminated, yet the one that gets eliminated is a better contender than half the other winners of that round.

It's a dumb Gamefaqs style popularity contest. And i will continue to bitch about it as long as this shit is continued to be spammed in the forums. I've only vote in a few of these despite there being a spamtastic amount of them. Why so few? Because i only vote in the ones where i've played both games in question. Is that the case for everyone? NOPE.

Call me captain killjoy but this whole thing is really poorly implemented and planned out. Mark my words. No one is going to be satisfied with the finalists, let alone the winner.

I don't know if it's a "Game of the Generation", but I honestly do believe that it's a better game than GTAV, and I feel that it moves the genre ahead in some ways where GTAV lags sorely behind. I feel that Sleeping Dogs has the better driving, combat, characters and story. The only area where I'd say that GTA truly excels over Sleeping Dogs is in the size and scale of its open world, but a larger world doesn't necessarily mean a better or more immersive one.

Look, I get that you're annoyed by this, but you should either ignore this whole thing or get over it. A lot of people are seeing favorite games of theirs get clobbered because those games happened to be the less popular (among the GB community) option in the poll. I love Dragon Quest IX and Xenoblade Chronicles, but both games were completely destroyed in their respective polls; neither game was played by many of those that frequent these forums. I just had to get past that and look at the games left in this race. Some that I prefer are moving on, some aren't, but it's not worth raging about.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I get what you're saying. I'm not "raging", i'm just mildly complaining while browsing through. I'm not actually mad or upset. It's a silly poll bracket. Its just one of those things where you see someone doing somethign wrong and you feel like you have to say something even though it doesnt matter.

I clicked the thread, i gotta respond right? and people responded to my reply, so i gotta respond to them. Its a vicious cycle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTAV easily dominates Sleeping Dogs. Writing, visuals, gameplay(fighting goes to SD) go for GTA. GTAV doesn't really have a strong story but it never really tried to have one but it's focus was on the script and characters which imo are the funniest ever in a video game. SD brought freshness to the table with the protagonist being essentially a good guy but it never felt as grand as it could have been and it also felt to arcadey to me which is a downgrade to the realistic feel of gta. Both great games but GTAV just set a new standard which they themselves had set before.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By jkz
@clonedzero said:

@davidwitten22 said:

@clonedzero said:

@pr1mus said:

So why pay attention to it? People will only be unhappy if they take this incredibly seriously, as you seem to be advocating. Can't we just enjoy it for the discussions it spawns and opportunities it gives us to look back at games we really liked?

Also I *actually* think Sleeping Dogs is a better game than GTA V, and it's one of the games I had the most fun with this generation. Actually. But that's just my opinion, and one that I honestly didn't expect so many people to share; I wouldn't have been unhappy had they not, and I'm not more happy because they did, but I did go back and load up Sleeping Dogs because of this thread, so I'll call that a win regardless.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's one thing all these GotG threads are doing it's giving me incentive to get on my back log, which contains both of these. I need more video game time.

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@jclane said:

I don't think that Rockstar will ever take GTA back to the more insane days of San Andreas, outside of the occasional moment here or there. GTAIV and V both have shown that they intend something different for the series now. Saints Row has taken over the role of leader in the open world lunacy category, and Sleeping Dogs managed to carve out a solid niche for itself with its setting and premise despite the handicap of starting off as a True Crime game. I think this is all really just indicative of the fact that the genre has moved well beyond the days when open world crime titles were almost universally considered GTA clones; gameplay, themes, and tone are all varied enough across the board now that one series can't really be all things for all people anymore.

You two gentlemen just summed up my reasons for voting for Sleeping Dogs.

To put this in a rough analogy; Grand Theft Auto isn't the only person at the party wearing a funny hat anymore and whilst GTA's is undoubtedly the biggest, shiniest one they've worn basically the same funny hat to the party for 15 years now and it's really starting to show. The other funny hats are different, in some cases more interesting and in most cases more fun.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

YEAH Sleeping Dogs!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both fantastic games but I had to go with Sleeping Dogs because Wei Shen is a very dangerous man.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I had way way way more fun with sleeping dogs and I actually finished it. It's pretty much better in every way.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gb community is always going to vote for the underdog, so sleeping dogs is prob gonna take it. Sucks, because GTA is miles ahead of it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#95  Edited By Phatmac

@seppli: You can air hijack other people's car's by getting on top of a moving car and jumping on the top of another car. The fighting combat is really enjoyable which is something that GTA V doesn't have. The shooting in GTA V is better but I mostly fought with my fists if I could in Sleeping Dogs.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#96  Edited By Mezmero

Sleepy Dawgz probably doesn't have as good plot and characters as GTAV but it is a hell of a lot more fun to play. I had more fun watching cutscenes in GTAV than actually playing that game. Soooo much driving... Open world crime games should be more like Sleeping Dogs.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs for me too. Lol I fell asleep once playing gtav, so obviously I had more fun with the dogs. Mechanics and 90s hk movie story made it memorable for me. Also, I played it on pc, which is straight up one of the best looking games in recent memory.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecofthewest: I haven't noticed a pattern of the GB community mostly voting for the underdog in these polls.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I'm really surprised Sleeping Dogs is winning so far, even if it's just slightly. I much prefer GTAV than Sleeping Dogs, even though it's set in my hometown. There's just something about it that doesn't make me like it as much as I like, whether its the wildly arcadey driving, the sub-par gunplay and rather lousy voice acting (the English is fine, but they really should've hired authentic Cantonese actors and not Chinese actors with thick foreign accents). The city itself is pretty nicely rendered, but it's no Los Santos. Everything about GTAV is just better.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

@davidwitten22 said:

@clonedzero said:

@pr1mus said:

So why pay attention to it? People will only be unhappy if they take this incredibly seriously, as you seem to be advocating. Can't we just enjoy it for the discussions it spawns and opportunities it gives us to look back at games we really liked?

Also I *actually* think Sleeping Dogs is a better game than GTA V, and it's one of the games I had the most fun with this generation. Actually. But that's just my opinion, and one that I honestly didn't expect so many people to share; I wouldn't have been unhappy had they not, and I'm not more happy because they did, but I did go back and load up Sleeping Dogs because of this thread, so I'll call that a win regardless.

I have to agree. It's a dumb little forum contest that isn't meant to be taken seriously as the "BEST GAME OF THE GENERATION". It's a series of subjective polls pitting games of the same genre (thus far) against each other in a dumb little bracket, ala March Madness. A lot of people don't think that the bracket system is the best for finding out the best team in college basketball either (because Bo1s have a random element to them), but they get over it because its fun. Clonedzero you shouldn't be taking this so seriously. It's not an official Giantbomb thing. It's a game that one of our forum users is dedicating his time to doing. If you don't agree I suppose you could make your own, but I'd imagine most of us don't want to bother with all the time that doing that would take. I know I wouldn't. I don't think people will be mad about the eventual winner because I don't think anyone is really taking it that seriously.