GotG Round 1: Saints Row: The Third vs. Asura's Wrath

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

Poll GotG Round 1: Saints Row: The Third vs. Asura's Wrath (682 votes)

Saints Row: The Third 77%
Asura's Wrath 23%

Main thread

Full bracket

Over-the-top action from both sides of the Pacific.

Saints Row: The Third (2011)

What the community has to say:

Saints Row The Third is now more than ever embracing it's goddamn destiny and giving unto the world something the world could do with a little more of.

Ladies and Gentlemen, would you kindly Strap It On.

From user review by @yummylee

Asura's Wrath (2012)

What the community has to say:

Asura’s Wrath is a game that goes into a rage and stomps on whatever we call the convention of video games. And you know what? I’m going to join in the stomping too, because the reason I play games is for refreshing engagements that entertain me, and Asura’s Wrath hit the spot.

From user review by @domstercool

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Thursday.

• 
CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The ending of the Asura's Wrath DLC was too good. It's just shitty that you had to buy the DLC to get the ending.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both games with fantastic stories (SR in a funny way, AW in a WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!??! way) that I didn't really like to actually play. The shooting and moving around in SR always felt wrong to me, and I would've gotten the same out of watching a Youtube playthrough (without commentary) of AW as I got actually playing it.

AW gets minus points for hiding the "real ending" in a DLC though. I'll go with SR, one of the funniest game of this generation.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not even a question for me. Saints Row: The Third was the most fun I had with any game this generation. Exploding gimp-pulled chariots, V-TOLs and Kanye West all game together into a perfect storm of craziness. Asura's Wrath was some absurd, bonkers cut-scenes peppered with pretty dull gameplay and had it's ending hidden behind paid DLC. I'm sorry, but that cannot be excused.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Saints Row will win, but I wanted to just pitch in my vote for Asura's Wrath because that game is way more fun then it had any right to be. That battle on the moon with your master and the blade that's 40000000m long was pretty good.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vanick

Saint's Row: The Third for me. Asura's Wrath is one of those games I never got around to playing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

I'd much rather Saints Row 2 or even Saints Row IV be up there instead, but when put against yet another game I haven't played, The Third's gonna take it.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love both of these games (managed to S-Rank both of them), but I think that Asura's Wrath edges out SR3. There's something about the concentrated nostalgia that it shot into my eyeballs.

That ending DLC, man...So emotional.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By hermes

@zero_ said:

Saints Row will win, but I wanted to just pitch in my vote for Asura's Wrath because that game is way more fun then it had any right to be. That battle on the moon with your master and the blade that's 40000000m long was pretty good.

It got my vote too...

Asura's Wrath is everything we love about Japanese games, umped up to 11 (millions). Its like Dragon Ball Z on amphetamines, but despite being as over the top as games get, it always comes as natural, it never feels like its pushing too hard.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Asura's Wrath was some absurd, bonkers cut-scenes peppered with pretty dull gameplay and had it's ending hidden behind paid DLC. I'm sorry, but that cannot be excused.

THAT IS NOT FOR YOU TO DECIDE!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Asura's Wrath blew it's load early on without trying to build up to it's madness which just made it weak in the end. It's a good experience but nothing too surprising. Saints Row The Third on the other hand is just great overall.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Purple dildo y'all.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@deranged said:

Purple dildo y'all.

I see your purple dildo, and I raise you:

No Caption Provided

A giant finger...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deranged

@hermes said:

@deranged said:

Purple dildo y'all.

No Caption Provided

A giant finger...

SHIEEEEET!

I got nothing bruh.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

These are two of my favorite games of this past generation. But as much as I love Saints Row: The Third, Asura's Wrath is just such a wonderfully crazy, unique experience that does a variety of things and does them well with a great story and characters and a mix of gameplay styles that just clicks.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Milkman

I had a lot of fun with Asura's Wrath but let's not kid ourselves, it's a bunch of QTEs.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@milkman said:

I had a lot of fun with Asura's Wrath but let's not kid ourselves, it's a bunch of QTEs.

With Panzer Dragoon and God of War thrown in. Again, all of which it does well.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asura's Wrath

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Asura's Wrath is basically the personification of anime with a whole bunch of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It has to win.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

With Panzer Dragoon and God of War thrown in. Again, all of which it does well.

It does those things okay but any time I had to actually fight dudes was definitely the worst part of the game.

I'm not trying to throw shade at Asura's Wrath because I think it's great but I can't in good conscience vote for a game where I would rather skip the gameplay to get to the cutscenes over Saints Row The Third.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew I'd pick the losing game but whatever. All SR3 had going for it was that it was really stupid, in a good way of course. But the story wasn't really any good, just funny. Shooting was a bit weird I guess and once you beat the game, there was nothing to do. All that side content was complete shit. Also, in the middle of the game, you HAD to do the side content missions and fuckkkkk, it bored me to tears. Overall, funny game, not much fun.

Asura's Wrath on the other hand, oh hoho! That game was great top to bottom and I don't think anyone expected it to be. The only awful shit was the real ending DLC as we all know but Capcom, amirite?! Either way, it was bloody fucking great. It also had Amaterasu in one of the paint cutscene things.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god what are you doing? I can't do that. I can't take a side on this one, just not possible.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asura's Wrath all the way. Saints Row: The Third is pretty funny, but the craziness doesn't make up for the boring world and awful shooting.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both crazy, but Asuras Wrath had the best kind of crazy. You thought he couldn't get any angrier, but he did!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By mrfluke

FUCK YOU ALL ASURAS WRATH IS THE GREATEST!!11 MY VOTE GOES THERE.DONT CARE IF I LOSE.

story wise it blows saints row out of the water,

but overall though yea id give it to saints row cause saints row is the better "game"

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

I personally don't think either game is GotG material, but I enjoyed the hell out of Asura's Wrath. SR3 was fun, but didn't live up to all the hype from the GB staff. I think SR2 was a better game.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row 3 was good but mostly because of some missions in the beginning and the end (with most of the missions feeling boring and uninteresting) so atleast for me, the good didn't exactly outweigh the bad here. On the other hand, the craziness of Asura's Wrath was consistent enough to entertain me for the whole thing and I quite enjoyed it so it gets my vote.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Asura's Wrath every single goddamn day of my life. SR3 was an all right game, but it's not even remotely close to being as good as AW if only because the playing game part made me fall asleep several times.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is really interesting. All the comments are for Asura's Wrath, yet Saint's Row has the votes. Are the residents of Steelport all silent?

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Well there should more games like Asura's wrath and less open world sandboxes imo, but dayyam woman SR3 was good, and has to get my vote.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hated the act of playing Asura's Wrath, I wish I'd just watched someone else play it so I could enjoy the awesome without having to put up with the awful QTEs, terrible combat and rote shooting.

Saints Row The Third was a joy.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think the Saints Row franchise gets so much love because the Bombcast loves it, and nothing more. Asura's Wrath told a good story and was really different to play, which is what The Third also did, just...not as well.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Turambar

Saints Row is the better game. Asura's Wrath is the game I want to experience.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

I love both of these games (managed to S-Rank both of them), but I think that Asura's Wrath edges out SR3. There's something about the concentrated nostalgia that it shot into my eyeballs.

That ending DLC, man...So emotional.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think the Saints Row franchise gets so much love because the Bombcast loves it, and nothing more.

Then why is there so much Dark Souls love on this forum? Very much a reach. Saints Row the Third is very good. (and I think I don't even like it or IV as much as many around here).

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row: The Third is easily one of the top ten greatest games OF ALL TIME, let alone this generation.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vextroid

A crazy mish-mash of anime weirdness and awesome all in one vs a very disappointing sequel? Yeah this was an easy vote.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Asura's Wrath does neat things with QTEs, and it's batshit insanity is appreciated. But Saints Row: The Third reminded me that video games.

It's dumb, it's fun, and it's hilarious.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would pick Asura if the real ending wasn't split off as DLC even though I loved it a lot.

I'm going with The Third

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur said:

I really think the Saints Row franchise gets so much love because the Bombcast loves it, and nothing more.

Then why is there so much Dark Souls love on this forum? Very much a reach. Saints Row the Third is very good. (and I think I don't even like it or IV as much as many around here).

These are two independent things, so why you're using Dark Souls to explain Saints Row is beyond me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@artisanbreads said:

@likeassur said:

These are two independent things, so why you're using Dark Souls to explain Saints Row is beyond me.

Most of the Giantbomb crew didn't like Dark Souls and there are a lot of Dark Souls fans around here. Saying the only reason people like Saints Row is the crew is a silly thing to do. You just don't like it. That's fine.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Saints Row 3 was a real peak in open world action games, whereas Asura's Wrath was really creative but not all that great execution-wise.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By stackboy

Saints Row 3 filled that gap of absurdity in the free roam genre, when we didn't have a new GTA game so close. So redunkadunk.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Asura's Wrath's story was stupid as hell, but I really enjoyed the game. I still like Saints Row 3 better.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints row the third had a pimp that only spoke in auto tune and let you chose zombie as a voice for your character.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This might actually be a case where if I played Asura's Wrath I bet that would stick with me more than Saints Row. I have a weird relationship with The Third, admiring its sharp writing but feeling like the world, and some of the NPC's, were so detached or questionable that it left me a little deflated here and there. Nothing to ruin the experience but there were parts to Saints Row that were video gamey in the right way and others that were video gamey in the wrong way.

Asura's Wrath just feels like a game I would personally attach to and knowing the love for that game around here I'm gonna go Asura's Wrath.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh you asshole! This might be the most difficult choice so far... Damn.

Saint's Row is clearly better, but man was Asura's Wrath crazy. I loved it so much.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

@hermes said:

@deranged said:

Purple dildo y'all.

No Caption Provided

A giant finger...

SHIEEEEET!

I got nothing bruh.

Man... I will play this game someday.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur said:

@artisanbreads said:

@likeassur said:

Most of the Giantbomb crew didn't like Dark Souls and there are a lot of Dark Souls fans around here. Saying the only reason people like Saints Row is the crew is a silly thing to do. You just don't like it. That's fine.

I love Saints Row: The Third. I bought it twice, something I rarely do.

I didn't say it was the only reason either. I just think it would be a well-liked game on its own, but because of the duders (mainly Jeff for the GOTY podcast), it's become renowned as the most amazing thing ever, at least on this website. The same thing happened with Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it doesn't have a chance in hell of winning here, but I have to vote for Asura's Wrath; I actually dislike Saint's Row 3.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least these two games both have insanity and chaos as their calling cards. I think they're both great, but by virtue of actually being a game on top of its insanity I'll go ahead and choose Saint's Row.