GotG Round 2: Dragon Age: Origins vs. BioShock Infinite

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Somebody get me a screenshot of what everybody's been voting for.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I really liked BioShock but Dragon Age may be my game of the generation.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

If Dragon Age doesn't win this then so help me God I will be very upset =(

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Dragon Age: Origins is on another level. Bioshock: Infinitely Overrated doesn't stand a chance.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@yummylee said:

If Dragon Age doesn't win this then so help me God I will be very upset =(

Looks like I know what I'm voting for.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Dragon Age: Origins is probably one of my favorite games ever. Infinite is great but I don't love it as much as DA:O.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Infinite is great but DA:O should take this easy

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By jadegl

Love them both, but I think Dragon Age Origins was the better and more important game this gen.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Infinite, But Dragon Age is simply one of the best RPG's ever created.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CaLe

Both are pretty OK. Don't really care which game wins this one.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrxLecter

If we ignore the abortion that was DA2, Dragon Age handily deserves to win. If this were the Dragon Age SERIES however, it wouldn't stand a chance. Plus Bioshock was better than Infinite, Columbia simply wasn't that appealing. Not even sure what Infinite is doing here...

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age Origins was incredible, so I vote for that

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Oh god, this is the hardest one for me. I love both games to death but Bioshock Infinite takes it. Sorry DAO

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chop

Dragon Age is a top ten game for me; I'd be alright with it winning this whole thing

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age Origins, easily. I never thought Bioshock Infinite was that great, the combat in the game was just....well bad. Story and Characters were great though.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I fucking adore both of these games; DA:O was my GOTY '09, and I'm pretty confident that Infinite is my GOTY '13. But in comparing the two, I have to put Dragon Age ahead. They're hard games to compare, but Dragon Age is just such an impressive game, in terms of world building, RPG mechanics, characterisation, player agency, and it had some pretty cool DLC too. Infinite is also a triumph of world building and characterisation, but it doesn't stand up to DA:O in terms of gameplay.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Flappy

Morrigan (along with the rest of DA:O) wins this.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'm perfectly willing to vote against DA:O, but they're going to need to stack it up against better competition.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NegativeCero

Dragon Age is just too good. If it goes up against Dark Souls, I don't know what I'd choose because they're probably my top two games of this generation.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care at all for Dragon Age but i despise everything about the Bioshock games so there's that.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Origins was way better than Infinite. Origins actually had some meat in gameplay and replay value where as Infinite was a half assed shooter with RAILS and some overblown story shit.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA:O gets my vote. I liked Bioshock Infinite, but spent so much time playing and enjoying Dragon Age. Baldur's Gate 2 is my all time favourite game, so that "bias" might also factor into my enjoyment of Dragon Age.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got to vote for the one that I played, and that featured a barbershop quartet in the clouds.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played Origins sadly. Infinite got my vote.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least you guys aren't totally insane. DRAGON AGE REPRESENT!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Infinite is a better game overall, but I spent waaaaay too many hours on Dragon Age: Origins.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are both great games, but I don't think either is a strong contender or will win. I'm also tempted to not vote for dragon age, just because the 2nd one was so shitty, but that would be unfair. So i'll vote for it.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two of my favorite games. I think Dragon Age might be my favorite of the generation, though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Bioshock Infinite, because I don't really like Dragon Age Origins.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Wow, I'm surprised Bioshock Infinite is losing this one. Easily one of my top 5 games of the gen, but I guess Dragon Age Origins is probably just behind it. Both are pretty amazing games, though.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Trilogy

Meh, Dragon Age had fantastic combat, but the story and character interaction was fucking nonsense. That game irritated me to no end with some of forced and tired places the story went (towards the end, mainly). Bioshock infinite had a fantastic story with solid combat. Maybe Dragon age had better gamplay than Bioshock, but Bioshock's gameplay is better than DA's story (Bioshock's weak point is better than DA's weakpoint.)

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, Levine, you lost your edge. This one goes to the one with more gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually actively don't like the combat in Origins, though I assume that has more to do with that I played it with a controller. No... I just don't like how the animation system works, and the game continues the D&D tradition of making any non-magic class completely boring and weak.

With all this said, Origins is one of my favorite stories in games, and the sequence of events that begin at the Landsmeet is _exactly what I want from games_. Specifically, you are forced to make a very major decision, and then 30 minutes later receive some absolutely crucial information that may have completely changed your decision. They actually allow you to be penned in by past 'mistakes'. It's one of the rare times when BioWare has actually meddled with unforeseen consequences and actually put their foot down. Generally they warn you five times beforehand, tell you what the exact results will be, and then offer you a way to effectively reverse your actions. I loved it. I would like to see exactly that done more often. The only problem is the salt it causes; there will always be someone who thinks it's unfair that they didn't know exactly how their choice will play out, 'if I had known it would do X', etc. I want more games that allow me to make the wrong choice, and more games that even let me

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually actively don't like the combat in Origins, though I assume that has more to do with that I played it with a controller. No... I just don't like how the animation system works, and the game continues the D&D tradition of making any non-magic class completely boring and weak.

With all this said, Origins is one of my favorite stories in games, and the sequence of events that begin at the Landsmeet is _exactly what I want from games_. Specifically, you are forced to make a very major decision, and then 30 minutes later receive some absolutely crucial information that may have completely changed your decision. They actually allow you to be penned in by past 'mistakes'. It's one of the rare times when BioWare has actually meddled with unforeseen consequences and actually put their foot down. Generally they warn you five times beforehand, tell you what the exact results will be, and then offer you a way to effectively reverse your actions. I loved it. I would like to see exactly that done more often. The only problem is the salt it causes; there will always be someone who thinks it's unfair that they didn't know exactly how their choice will play out, 'if I had known it would do X', etc. I want more games that allow me to make the wrong choice, and more games that even let me own up to it. Yeah, I did X and it went sideways on me. That's life sometimes. I'm sorry. So on.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By tourgen

pleasantly surprised people are going for Dragon Age. I thought I was over the D&D nerd simulator RPGs but they did it just so damn well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fade section vs fiddly combat arenas

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By korolev

I love Infinite... but honestly, Dragon Age just felt more epic and more of a real adventure. At at the end of the day, if I had to play one of those games again... I'd pick Dragon Age: Origins.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By Mezmero

I liked playing Dragon Age: Origins a lot but I could not care less about what was going on in that story. I'm also sore that I missed my window on becoming a blood mage when I had the chance. That particular build path should have been made more apparent. I don't really feel a compulsion to replay that game as a different character. I really like Bioshock: Infinite but I don't think it should make it very far in this bracket when its predecessor is such a strong contender already in these polls. I honestly could go either way. I'll go with Infinite based on my fondness for cinematic narratives.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to go with Dragon Age on this one. Man these choices are starting to get really tough.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By triviaman09

DA:O wasn't perfect but it did so many things so right. Hell, I even liked DA2 though I might be alone on that one. Bioshock Infinite (despite recent critical blowback) is a great game with a wonderfully original setting and narrative and solid shooting to match. Still, my heart is with DA on this one.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked Dragon Age, but I honestly feel that both games stories ( their main selling point) had significanrt issues with pacing and dialogue. Really glad that Bioware ditched the silent protagonist thing.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

I considered voting against Dragon Age: Origins out of petty contempt for it knocking out Xenoblade, but I haven't played Infinite yet. Don't know where I stand on this one.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon age for me.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I love Bioshock, but Columbia got less interesting as it went along, and the game was full of half-baked gameplay ideas that never really went anywhere. Sorry Ken.

And yes, that DA:O allows you to make bad decisions and actually forces you to deal with the consequences is awesome. It's too bad that they haven't done that since.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thatfrood

Somebody get me a screenshot of what everybody's been voting for.

If you log out, it shows you the poll results. It's dumb, but it's the only way.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Dude your fucking nuts. I soloed the Harvester boss on Hard with my Rogue. Melee classes are just fine if you build them properly. Heck if anything Rogues are overpowered in Orgins.