GotG Round 2: The Walking Dead - Season One vs. Saints Row: The Third

• 48 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

• 
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Not a fan of either so poop noises

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Castiel

I think they are both slightly overrated to be honest, well atleast The Third gets praised like it's the holy grail on this site and I don't really agree with that, but I did enjoy them both. TWD is unsurprisingly a little uneven, it topped at episode 2, and Clementine could get a little annoying at times.

In the end I chose TWD.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Saints Row was just so much fun. So much memorable stuff and some of the best random moments since I played GTA III.

Walking Dead was great, but I beat it in two days when I had the flu so I wasn't capable of feeling much at the time.

Also, 6,000th post, woo.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Saints Row was ridiculous fun but aside from the main story and some side activities, the world felt and looked really bland and boring. The Walking Dead, while short, is one of the most impactful and emotional experiences I've had with a video game. It just blew away my expectations.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

This was tough. I really loved Saints Row: The Third, a lot, but Walking Dead is more innovative. There's no game that plays quite like it, Saints Row is pretty much your average free roam game in terms of gameplay. I think I'd be more likely to vote for Saints Row IV, it's the best platforming-based open world game I've ever played.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Damn it. I still need to play Saints Row The Third.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DarkShaper

Zombies get under my skin so much that I can't get anywhere near a serious story about them. SR3 gets my vote by default.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

The Walking Dead changed my life in how I look and play video games.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

A good open world game vs the worst game i ever bothered completing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I feel that The Walking Dead is overrated and fairly predictable. Saints Row: The Third is one of my favorite experiences of this past generation. Easy choice.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By TheHT

Saints Row was hilarious, but so many moments from The Walking Dead rocked me.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

The Walking Dead isn't the easy choice, but it's the right choice.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Walking Dead all the way baby. I loved how that game made me feel and think.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

TWD, easily.

@deranged said:

Saints Row was ridiculous fun but aside from the main story and some side activities, the world felt and looked really bland and boring. The Walking Dead, while short, is one of the most impactful and emotional experiences I've had with a video game. It just blew away my expectations.

Short? With each episode compiled together it was probably around 8-10 hours long, which given the overall asking price, was a lot lengthier than I was expecting.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By CaLe

Saints Row 3 was a lot better than 4, but neither of them made me laugh like The Walking Dead did. That backyard burial scene cracks me up every time.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#17  Edited By Kidavenger

This is the hardest one to pick out of all the polls so far, I'm not even going to say which I chose.

another f'd up poll though, these should be pull on hold until things get straightened out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people love saints row 3 so much? It just felt like another open world city game, and I've only played like 3 of those. Sure, it had some personality, and I've played it for like 30 hours but I just think it's like quite a few games with too big scope, does a lot of things, but does none of them well.

The absurdity of a lot of the situations and a rather excessive list of memorable moments. Its a game that would almost benefit from removal of its open world if not for the fact that some of the mission rewards makes the open world stuff kind of awesome.

But don't mistake any of its praise as praise for anything its open world does. Its purely based on the contents of its missions.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Saints Row is a terrible game outside of the main story missions, but every one of those made me laugh my ass off, even with a type of humor I don't usually go for. The Walking Dead is a pedestal for video game storytelling, even if it falls short of the promise of truly branching decisions.

Tough, but TWD wins. I actually think Saints Row 4 would have more of a chance of winning, but it would still lose out.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So glad Saint's Row is going down.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an easy choice. Saints Row 3 was an ok game with a vast majority of its missions that suck and a boring environment. The Walking Dead (while it certainly had a number of gameplay issues and bugs) did a very good job of crafting its story and characters and was overall a much more consistently enjoyable experience.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Ryan already stabbed Saints Row in the back once I can't bare to see It be betrayed yet again. You guys are awful.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row is fun to play and has a fantastic story, walking dead has a fantastic story and...

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved The Walking Dead and while I enjoyed Saint's Row: The Third I didn't think it was as great as everyone else thought it was.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Saint's Row The Third but good lord, The Walking Dead has to take this. Saint's Row is just an open-world game done well, TWD introduced an episodic choice-based adventure game format that i'm really excited to see the future of.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's a philosophical difference for me. The Walking Dead is a pretty great story that retains a bare semblance of interactivity, like a choose your own adventure book. Saints Row: The Third is a video game-ass video game.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Deranged

@yummylee said:

TWD, easily.

@deranged said:

Short? With each episode compiled together it was probably around 8-10 hours long, which given the overall asking price, was a lot lengthier than I was expecting.

I was referring to each episode, not the entire "season". Sorry, should've been more clear.

magicwalnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By magicwalnuts

Sorry Saints Row, I love you so much, but I gotta go with Walking Dead here.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

The Walking Dead was a much much better Heavy Rain. Saints Row 3 made me care about a genre I hate. Sorry Kenny.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I cannot believe that this is a website where Deadly Premonition ("one of the greatest games ever made" - Vinny Caravella), Grand Theft Auto Five, and Saints Row the Third can lose. Granted, there's still time for this one to turn around, but I dunno. If it does, then feel free to quote this comment and say something dumb to me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like the most video game vs the least video game.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So glad Saint's Row is going down.

It was sometimes funny, but got way too much love, so much of it was boring and bland.

Also, I mentioned this in the Batman vs Braid thread, but comparing these games is beyond crazy. They are almost the exact opposite of each other. But i'll shut up now.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

I cannot believe that this is a website where Deadly Premonition ("one of the greatest games ever made" - Vinny Caravella), Grand Theft Auto Five, and Saints Row the Third can lose. Granted, there's still time for this one to turn around, but I dunno. If it does, then feel free to quote this comment and say something dumb to me.

I don't think I've ever seen the poll results turn around once we're like 200+ votes in. It's very unlikely The Walking Dead will lose at this point.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

Also, I mentioned this in the Batman vs Braid thread, but comparing these games is beyond crazy. They are almost the exact opposite of each other. But i'll shut up now.

This has been the theme throughout the entire process. I've just learnt to roll with it and only care 'seriously' about the last round.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By leebmx

@leebmx said:

This has been the theme throughout the entire process. I've just learnt to roll with it and only care 'seriously' about the last round.

Yeah I've had my little moan, so I will be quiet now I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWD is a choose your own adventure book, but written even worse. Just like everything else associated with that franchise it's boring, overrated crap with stilted dialogue and idiotic characters who do moronic things only because the plot tells them to. As gaming technology and development ideas improve and developers find more organic ways to incorporate gamer choice into the narrative, TWD will vanish from history and become little more than a curious footnote.

In Saints Row: The Third you team up with Burt Reynolds to smash zombies with a giant purple dildo.

How this is even a competition is beyond me.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is by far the hardest one so far. These were my two favorite games that I played in 2012/2013. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SR3 is losing? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Levius

I tried to play SR3, it played like a PS2 game with some mediocre jokes thrown in. I was so bored I couldn't continue. Walking dead was on the other game was an incredibly innovative experiment to storytelling in games.

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did not finish walking dead because of ep 3 and the horrible gameplay.

SR:TT however, rocked my world

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Full disclosure, I am only partway through Ep 4 of Walking Dead, but I'll say this anyway: WD is good, but it just doesn't have the fundamentals down that well. Saints Row is more deft with its comedy than WD is with its drama, and it has a hell of a gameplay component too. If you're looking for the one that will be remembered as a landmark game in 5 years, of course it's WD, but that doesn't mean it's better.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, don't do this to Saints Row The Third. Just don't let it happen like this.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

got ago with the TWD, really changed what an Adventure game could be. Few games had me completely in its thrall like TWD did.

But boy is this a tough one. SR3 was tons o fun.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By tourgen

Giant Bomb Users Hate Gameplay, Round 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a hard choice, but I am glad to see TWD winning.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

walking dead yo

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Walking Dead, SR3 is a bit overrated

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen said:

Giant Bomb Users Hate Gameplay, Round 2.

Remember how Heavy Rain lost in the first round?