GotG Round 3: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare vs. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

• 
AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is a difficult one. COD might be the most influential game of the generation, but I enjoyed playing Skyrim a bit more, especially when modded up. So, Skyrim.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I voted for Call of Duty because that's the game that has had the biggest impact on modern game design. I think Skyrim is better, I spent more time with Skyrim, and I love Skyrim. But I think that if we're talking "game of the generation," then...

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By deathfury

I think CoD4 is the most significant game of the generation, hands down.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I really wish somebody had established what we were voting for before starting this competition.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim is a great game but its an iteration of Fallout and Oblivion. CoD 4 is the most influential game in the last decade in my opinion.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

COD4 online MP comparable to my Halo 2 days of fun on live. Ah memories but i did enjoy my time with skyrim

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I really wish somebody had established what we were voting for before starting this competition.

The bracket is to determine which game is better than Brothers.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I think Call of Duty 4 was a more important game to the industry because of its slick multiplayer, but I think Skyrim is a better overall game. I had a lot more fun and spent way more time with Skyrim, plus I enjoy more singleplayer-heavy experiences more than multiplayer.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Bollard

COD4 did too much for this industry for it NOT to be Game of the Generation. My most enjoyable game this generation was Oblivion however. Skyrim didn't quite capture that, but it was damn gorgeous.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turambar

As someone that dislikes first person shooters, and played way too much Skyrim, lets face it, Call of Duty 4 should win this.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shaggydude

Skyrim is the better game here. It still holds up for me today in terms of story, voice acting, music (and graphics if you're modding the way it renders on PC). Skyrim is fun to load up and play every year around winter time, and it is my go-to game to play when it's too cold to go outside. I think it deserves higher marks than CoD if only for being moddable and being one of a very few games to actually keep a community of modders around years after release. I just updated my ENB render mod last week and gained about 15fps because the guy who makes it is still improving his mod.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Call of Duty 4 should probably win this whole thing.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've spent 120 highly enjoyable hours in Skyrim (and I plan to jump back in at some point) and I spent about 6 kind of okay hours in COD4. my vote was easy.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going mostly by which game I enjoyed more, and that was definitely Skyrim, but these two aren't too far apart.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim had Max von Sydow tell me of his apocalyptic dragon dream as though he were there in the room with me. Sure, I can admit that I have a man-crush on Cpt. Price, but come on, it's Max von goddamn Sydow. I'm not even Swedish and I can appreciate that.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Skyrim. I really hate it a lot and Call of Duty 4 is my game of the generation but this result is ok. It takes people with poor taste to form a functional society.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I mean yes, objectively speaking no game in this entire bracket holds a candle to Call of Duty 4's impact. But fuck it, Skyrim was huge too and the game that matters way more as a game to me.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hey, I threw COD a free vote. Give on to the underdog.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080p Sound

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD shits on Skyrim and its dirty faces.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I think Modern Warfare is stronger. Simple as that.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I sort of assume it was kept broad because the entire idea of comparing games of all genres across an entire generation is a bunch of hooey anyway, so it may as well be fun, relatively laid-back, decide-the-criteria-for-yourself hooey. CoD important blah blah defined modern FPS's snurgle I'm voting for Skyrim.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So fucking dumb that skyrim is winning.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Call of Duty 4 is the more important game, and I enjoyed it more.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Trilogy

I was with you up until this point, Modern Warfare. I have to go with one of my favorite games in a long time, Skyrim.

@pr1mus said:

I hate Skyrim. I really hate it a lot and Call of Duty 4 is my game of the generation but this result is ok. It takes people with poor taste to form a functional society.

Seriously though, why do people feel the need to be assholes in these threads? Please refrain from being a shithead if your game isn't winning.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tango down in sector One Alpha.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 4 was a revolution in multiplayer FPS, for better or worse. I sank soooooooo many hours into it when it came out.

Skyrim is a dumbed down sequel. Sorry, "streamlined."

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Call of Duty 4. I loved Skyrim, but I still did the same thing I do with every Bethesda game: Play for 60 hours, get the best stuff, get bored, then never play it again.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Call of Duty 4. Skyrim's mediocre controls killed it for me. Call of Duty revolutionized and set the standard for FPS fluidity and was an excellent example of balancing a fantastic campaign with arguably the best multiplayer component around.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put in like 4 or 5 days worth into Skyrim on the worst platform (PS4) and loved it. However, I put about 20 days into COD4 multiplayer alone and I'd still be playing it if people were still playing online.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Skyrim wasn't even the best Elder Scrolls game of the generation, a shame it's beating Modern Warfare.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Modern Warfare really deserves to win over Skyrim; can't help but deny what a huge leap CoD4 was in advancing the multiplayer experience for all shooters.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If cod4 and skyrim were to have a fight cod4 would lag, shout noob and ragequit, skyrim would glitch into a wall and crash.

Boom.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

It's funny that most of the comments are in favour of CoD4, but as or writing Skyrim is winning 60/40. I wonder if that's because in certain ways Skyrim's success and appeal is somewhat hard to articulate. Or maybe it's because you already know why Skyrim is fucking amazing, and don't need to be told.

Personally, I think the community is making the right choice here. Skyrim is one of my top three games of the generation, for sure.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I love oblivion, but Skyrim will do

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a hard choice.

I really want to say Modern Warfare because it changed FPS games for the rest of the generation.
But playing all these military shooters lately is making me go "meh".

I love Skyrim through. It has it's flaws but it has one of the biggest modding community. People still play it 2 years on and it sparks creativity among gamers.
Idk man.

I voted Skyrim. I'm sorry.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Canteu

CoD 4 must win this entire thing. If it doesn't you people are fucking morons.

I love Skyrim and I cannot really stand CoD. I'm just doing the right thing.

@trilogy You replying like that? That is the exact same thing that you are admonishing. He presents an opinion, an opinion which incites anger due to its inflammatory nature. Then you return your opinion equally as inflammatory. Think harder.

@video_game_king Due to nobody ever being able to agree on what game that came out in the past 8 years is the most fun, surely we are voting for what game was the most impactful to the industry. I mean, that's something people can agree on that isn't based on subjective opinions. At least, that's how I'm voting.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Third installment Infinity Ward. It's deep and it's hard, bitch.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Trilogy

@canteu said:

@trilogy You replying like that? That is the exact same thing that you are admonishing. He presents an opinion, an opinion which incites anger due to its inflammatory nature. Then you return your opinion equally as inflammatory. Think harder.

No, I called it like I saw it. There's nothing wrong with hating on a game or getting excited about a game you love. There IS something wrong when you start starting insulting people's taste. It's childish and it crosses the line. Some of these people need to chill out in these threads. There's a lot of growing up that needs to be done as well.

Not to mention...

@canteu said:

I hope you were joking around here. If not, your criticism of my response is invalid.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see CoD finally being put down.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@canteu said:

Oh, that's a good one.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Canteu

@hailinel: I'm sure you've seen me say it several times before. Don't take me seriously.

@trilogy Comedy is tough on these foums. Everyone is so fucking serious. Compound jokes are hard to spot for most people.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CaLe

@canteu said:

surely we are voting for what game was the most impactful to the industry.

Uhh, no? Who gives a rainbow-colored-shit which game had the most impact, choose the game you liked best. Oh, and try not to tell other people their opinions are wrong, you always come off as the asshole in that argument. I know from experience. I misread your post, never mind that.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Skyrim's winning? Well Fus Ro Duh. Seriousley though, I think Cod 4 is a fine game, but it's not the GOTG in my opinion. Although it was certainly the most influential and relevant, I really don't feel it should go any further than this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel

@canteu said:

@hailinel: I'm sure you've seen me say it several times before. Don't take me seriously.

@trilogy Comedy is tough on these foums. Everyone is so fucking serious.

Ah. Tone is difficult to convey in forum text.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@trilogy Comedy is tough on these foums. Everyone is so fucking serious.

Comedy implies wit, I think. In its absence, it's easy to assume your serious, and then gape at you admonishing people for inflammatory comments.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Canteu

@towersixteen: You just called me an idiot because everyone here is so fucking serious. I'm not trying to be funny for you. I'm entertaining myself.

This forum, right here. This forum is Poe's Law in its purest essence.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: Well, I wish you luck with that! Usually, if I'm just trying to entertain just myself, I don't call that "comedy", and would also consider it a failure if I routinely came away annoyed or angry, but I enjoyed Dark Souls, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By me3639

@amyggen said:

This is a difficult one. COD might be the most influential game of the generation, but I enjoyed playing Skyrim a bit more, especially when modded up. So, Skyrim.

you said the magic word, mod. Is the game out of the box really special, or is it the modded versions? Its not the retail version and why COD should win.

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By outerabiz

i feel like modern warfare would have a better chance of winning if there hadn't been 6 progressively worse CoD title released since to sour the world on the franchise, It had great MP and one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me( ,see nuke scene). Skyrim is a great game however, and one that i put hundreds of hours into.

I voted MW