Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield
Change 'culture of violence' 
Teach boys that abusing women and degrading others will not be tolerated. 
BY TIM MOOTHART  

You and I began life as a being without a propensity to harm others. All of us, yes even the mass murderer on death row, began life as a child who would never think of harming another human being.

However:

* Some 18 percent of women in the United States have been victims of a completed or attempted rape.

* Riverview Center in Dubuque served 1,100 children and adults this year related to violence.

Who is performing this violence?

* Some 64 percent of women who reported being raped, physically assaulted, and/or stalked since age 18 were victimized by a current or former husband, cohabiting partner, boyfriend, or date.

* Typical perpetrators are not aliens or misfits. They are your neighbors, your relatives, your co-workers.

What happened?

Jackson Katz, noted expert on gender violence, says, "Most men who assault women are not so much disturbed as disturbingly normal ... they are influenced by broad cultural beliefs about manhood that shape their psyches and identities. And ours. They not only learn to be violent, they learn that violence is manly."

Yes, all of us together have created a "culture of violence" and live with its logical outcome, a society racked with pain and suffering inflicted upon each other by acts of violence. Violence is a learned behavior and all of us have been its teachers.

What can we do?

Like any skill or learned trait, we can learn to approach gender violence from a different perspective. We can all be teachers of a new approachFirst, it requires all of us to believe that WE have the responsibility to change our culture. It's not just the perpetrators or "them" that have to change, it's all of us.

Next, reject the idea that violence is inevitable and that some men abuse women. Hold yourself to a higher standard. Boys learn how to be men from observing other men. In Dubuque, let's make sure they observe that degrading women and abusing others is not part of manhood and will not be tolerated.

Take a look inside yourself. Men, do you believe that men should be in control in a relationship? Do you act as if males are "the stronger gender"? Do you treat and talk about others as if they were objects rather than fellow humans?

Show our children how to respect others even when you disagree with them or they have hurt you in some way.

Take advantage of those teachable moments. Let's say your 12-year-old boy asks you to buy him the wildly popular video game "Grand Theft Auto." Tell him, "I don't want GTA in my house because it is disrespectful to women. It teaches boys to think that violence against women is just a big joke. As a man, I will not spend my money on this and I don't want it in my house."

Moothart is a manager in Supply Management at John Deere Construction and Forestry Division. He is involved in various local causes, including Boy Scouts, Resurrection Church, Dubuque Mentoring Partnership, Rotary and End-It.  

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=277822 

The only thing in the total history of mankind that I'm prepared to link to violence against women is
The only thing in the total history of mankind that I'm prepared to link to violence against women is "Grand Theft Auto". Even though the statistics I quoted in my article probably point to any number of reasons. AS A MAN!

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

It's true, I beat my girlfriend because of GTA.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mikeeegeee

More like.. violence against every poor sap unfortunate enough to be standing on that sidewalk!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jmrwacko
@Rayfield said:

"

"Grand Theft Auto teaches violence against women!"

"
In other news, Deer Hunter teaches violence against animals.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Ace829

Eh...Oh well. What are ya gonna do? People will never learn.
 Eh...Oh well. What are ya gonna do? People will never learn.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob

My opinion on GTA compared to his put completely aside- I've seen stuff written by 10 year olds that are more coherent and well thought out that this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Rayfield said:

The only thing in the total history of mankind that I'm prepared to link to violence against women is
The only thing in the total history of mankind that I'm prepared to link to violence against women is "Grand Theft Auto". Even though the statistics I quoted in my article probably point to any number of reasons. AS A MAN!

"
This guy looks like a serial killer.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Snipzor

Back when I took my first class on feminism, my teacher absolutely loved the hell out of the GTA series. This guy is a douche for moving the discussion onto someone completely pointless.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Red12b

So you're back to making these again eh Rayfield?
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emkeighcameron

If women were making me sammiches like they SHOULD, then I wouldn't have to HIT THEM SO HARD 

ARRggghR

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmrwacko
@Snipzor said:

" Back when I took my first class on feminism, my teacher absolutely loved the hell out of the GTA series. This guy is a douche for moving the discussion onto someone completely pointless. "

I'm sure your teacher is a typical representation of all feminist women. *cough*
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJOR64

I would never hurt a woman.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rayfield
@Red12b said:
"So you're back to making these again eh Rayfield? "

I don't see any stabbings in this article.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Snipzor
@jmrwacko said:

" @Snipzor said:

" Back when I took my first class on feminism, my teacher absolutely loved the hell out of the GTA series. This guy is a douche for moving the discussion onto someone completely pointless. "

I'm sure your teacher is a typical representation of all feminist women. *cough* "
Also note, I'm a feminist. I know plenty of feminists and read plenty of feminists. Yup, pretty representative. 

/Also, I make fun of shitty feminists
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria

I used the female character for Saint's Row, so I guess Saint's Row is more progressive than GTA nowadays.

:P

astrozombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By astrozombie

How does one become a "noted expert on gender violence"? hehe some people have such silly titles. 

Anyways, I guess some people will never learn that video games are not responsible for everything evil in the world. That being said, I must now go kill hookers.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Maniac_Matt said:
" How does one become a "noted expert on gender violence"? hehe some people have such silly titles.  Anyways, I guess some people will never learn that video games are not responsible for everything evil in the world. That being said, I must now go kill hookers. "
He has lots of experience in violence area. 
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@Rayfield said:
" @Red12b said:
I don't see any stabbings in this article. "
What? O_o 

The context is missing here severely.

As for the article itself. this guy jumps to conclusions and strings things together that seem "plausible" links but in reality have no actual correlation. A causes B because of C.  Always be skeptical when someone throws in statistics into a conversation or argument.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Trilogy

No Caption Provided
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rayfield
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @Red12b said:
I don't see any stabbings in this article. "
What? O_o   The context is missing here severely.  "

I LIKE THE STABBINGS 

@Trilogy said:
"

"

LOL
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By project343

He knows that humans are not born innocent, right? Humans are born with the complete capacity for good and evil. It depends on the situational factors, such as a starvation of resources. *sigh*

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64 said:
"
"
I was thinking more on the lines of...

No Caption Provided

(Only kidding, I wouldn't hit a woman unless she hit me first, and several times.)
Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ravenousrattler

jeez another one, this is getting old.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Organicalistic_
@animateria said:
" I used the female character for Saint's Row, so I guess Saint's Row is more progressive than GTA nowadays.   :P "
awesome, I like those games better anyways, their are funner
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rayfield
@organicalistic_ said:
 their are funner "

I'll have that.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By meteora

WAVE YOUR HAND UP IN THE AIR LIKE YOU JUST DON'T CARE~~~

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By jonnyboy

Left 4 Dead makes me violent towards women. I swear to god if Zoey picks up that sniper rifle one more time I'm gonna slap the piss out of her.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

What a retard. Seriously. This guy is a failure in life, but the friends and family around him, and even others will end up supporting his claim and praising him for speaking up, despite the fact that he's incredibly wrong. There is nothing in GTA that teaches violence against women. You're never encouraged to beat women. You can if you so choose, but you also can in any open-world game like GTA. And if you do, you better believe there's consequences. You can't rape women, nor can you even try. There's nothing in the story in any of the GTA games that encourages violence against women. GTA: San Andreas' whole plot is driven by the fact that CJ's mom is murdered. The majority of the game is spent avenging her death and cleaning up your hood. Not to mention the game has a very strong anti-drug message, but GTA gets no credit for any of this. Instead people just dwell on the fact that you can hire prostitutes and then kill them. Though really, you can kill anyone you please, regardless of gender. This dude is an idiot.  He needs to play the games and see for himself what they're all about before making such claims.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude

I don't see it. My parents taught me to kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. 

Just kidding, they are good people. They just let this little fucker learn to think for himself.
Atlantus_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Atlantus_Air

Violence is inevitable. Period.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rayfield
@TheGreatGuero: 

All these kind of people possess this sort of ignorant vibe which generally consists of "THE GRAND THEFT AUTO IS THE DEVIL! AUUUGHHHH!" rather than any sort of reasoned assessment. And you'd think nowadays, in 2010, somebody could tell these people that in order to appear as if you vaguely know what they're talking about, they should mention a specific game - not just 'Grand Theft Auto'.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Rayfield said:
" @TheGreatGuero:  All these kind of people possess this sort of ignorant vibe which generally consists of "THE GRAND THEFT AUTO IS THE DEVIL! AUUUGHHHH!" rather than any sort of reasoned assessment. And you'd think nowadays, in 2010, somebody could tell these people that in order to appear as if you vaguely know what they're talking about, they should mention a specific game - not just 'Grand Theft Auto'. "
Yeah, very true. Seriously, the whole notion of this just goes back to the hooker thing. The whole controversy behind GTA3 when it became revealed that you could sleep with a hooker, then kill her and get your money back. That caused a big outcry, and people haven't been able to forget about it. Not only that, it's basically come to define the series, which is unfortunate. It's not what GTA is about at all. I'm a huge GTA fan, and I never play that way. The whole thing with GTA is that it's as bad as you want to be. I admire having that kind of freedom, but I don't think the game condones such negative behavior in any way. Still, I admire that Rockstar has the balls to keep pushing their boundaries, and not only that, but they continue to deliver such a strong level of quality with each new game.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rayfield
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @TheGreatGuero:  All these kind of people possess this sort of ignorant vibe which generally consists of "THE GRAND THEFT AUTO IS THE DEVIL! AUUUGHHHH!" rather than any sort of reasoned assessment. And you'd think nowadays, in 2010, somebody could tell these people that in order to appear as if you vaguely know what they're talking about, they should mention a specific game - not just 'Grand Theft Auto'. "
Yeah, very true. Seriously, the whole notion of this just goes back to the hooker thing. The whole controversy behind GTA3 when it became revealed that you could sleep with a hooker, then kill her and get your money back. That caused a big outcry, and people haven't been able to forget about it. Not only that, it's basically come to define the series, which is unfortunate. It's not what GTA is about at all. I'm a huge GTA fan, and I never play that way. The whole thing with GTA is that it's as bad as you want to be. I admire having that kind of freedom, but I don't think the game condones such negative behavior in any way. Still, I admire that Rockstar has the balls to keep pushing their boundaries, and not only that, but they continue to deliver such a strong level of quality with each new game. "

Rockstar in general keep my interest with each new game of theirs and they'll have to do something pretty effing bad for that to change. Red Dead Redemption looks incredible*

*By 'incredible' I mean hopefully the second I load it up, I can walk into the nearest saloon and kill dozens of hookers.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BraveToaster

I wrote a long-winded comment about the dumb fucks that blame video games for violence then I deleted it. Most violent people either weren't raised properly, or have some serious issue, but I'm sure people like Moothart don't want to place the blame on others.

Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hats

WTF is 
completed rape 
Isn't  it just called rape I'm not a rape cono sur but I'm pretty sure its just rape and attempted rape

and i don't remember any rape in the GTA  games i paid for those hookers

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Rayfield:  Hahahaha. Yeah, I can't wait to play it. Apparently you even fight bears, and can kill them with just your knife. Rockstar is introducing animal cruelty to their games. OH YEAH!
tmek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tmek

Ok, I'll say it I do think GTA can have a negative impact on *impressionable* young teens that are *already* troubled and don't comprehend that you don't 'live large and get paid' or get away from the cops in that easily in real life.

BUT.. 

The opening paragraph which is the basis of his article is nonsense

You and I began life as a being without a propensity to harm others. All of us, yes even the mass murderer on death row, began life as a child who would never think of harming another human being.

... uh.. what?

How many times have you seen a couple of toddlers who's parents sat them down to 'play' with each other.  They haven't even learned to speak yet but one will whack the other to take his shiny toy, bottle or food.  The hit baby left crying while the 'alpha' baby couldn't care less and enjoys his spoils.     Oh wait, they've must have been playing grand theft auto earlier.

Normally I agree that conditioning has a large impact on behavior, but you don't have to look far for examples of people that are just plain assholes despite having loving and caring environments.  

His bio mentions he's active in church.  Did he forget Adam and Eve sinned and as punishment God cast them out of the garden of eden? And that ever since then every child was born a sinner with a sinful nature.  I mean it's spelled out pretty clear.

It seems to me he really hasn't thought this through and he's just trying to push peoples buttons because it doesn't make sense from secular or religious point of view.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By JJWeatherman
@JJOR64 said:
"
"
Throw me in this category:

No Caption Provided

Juuuuuuust joking.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By TheHT
@Meteora said:
" WAVE YOUR HAND UP IN THE AIR LIKE YOU JUST DON'T CARE~~~ "
Welcome to 2010 bud.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho

You have to get near a woman first before you can get violent. They have nothing to fear from gamers.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Rayfield said:
" @organicalistic_ said:
 their are funner "
I'll have that. "
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By Astras

GTA is my training tool for inflicting violence to women... just like pac man is my training tool for popping pills.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xMP44x

It's true. I pimpslapped my girl because I failed a mission in GTA.

Of course this is complete bullshit. While violence against women, against anyone actually, is not really acceptable, pinning it on a game is downright stupid. Pin it on the people who play the game, not on the game itself. Because that is completely idiotic to do. Should the people behind Borderlands be persecuted if someone kills a Jason Voorhees lookalike? Because hey, he learned to hit women from GTA and he learned to shoot the Voorhees lookalikes to score Criticals.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tebbit
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @Rayfield said:
Yeah, very true. Seriously, the whole notion of this just goes back to the hooker thing. The whole controversy behind GTA3 when it became revealed that you could sleep with a hooker, then kill her and get your money back. That caused a big outcry, and people haven't been able to forget about it. Not only that, it's basically come to define the series, which is unfortunate. It's not what GTA is about at all. I'm a huge GTA fan, and I never play that way. The whole thing with GTA is that it's as bad as you want to be. I admire having that kind of freedom, but I don't think the game condones such negative behavior in any way. Still, I admire that Rockstar has the balls to keep pushing their boundaries, and not only that, but they continue to deliver such a strong level of quality with each new game. "
What the critics failed to realize was that killing hookers is inherently fun. Especially when "bitch got yo money". 
In games, as in life. 

Wait...
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By bonbolapti

Ridiculous and Witty quips aside... People are that fucking stupid.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By ch13696

I admit. I slapped my ex, got a misdemeanor for it, and I do feel bad. BUT it's not because of GTA. Because there are woman out there that know how to keep pushing. Or they try to find way's to get someone in trouble. Did you know that California reported that 70% of woman that called the police for domestic violence was false? Meaning they falsely accuse. I've had some men in my men's batterers group that are in their because the neighbors called the cops on them for arguing. I know because there wives stuck up for them.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By raidingkvatch
@Rayfield:  I couldn't see any where in that that in any way stated how GTA is disrespectful to, or promotes violence towards women, there just seemed to be this huge leap at the end.
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#49  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I think some things can encourage behavior that's latent, but when you single out a game (GTA) or a medium (games in general) you tend to look like an ignoramus.  We know better, most of us are decent folks, so we just scratch our heads and hope this guy's thoughts don't meme out into the wider world like all the other ones over the years.

I have to admit I get a bit charged up when I play some games, but I'm not an automaton, and I don't just take programming from whatever thing I happen to be interacting with.   I played games that were almost exclusively blowing things up or shooting people or aliens or whatever, and I grew up fascinated by tanks and jet fighters like most of my friends.  I didn't grow up to solve my problems with violence, not by a damned sight.

What I really want to know is why people focus on certain species of vioence when they talk about GTA.  Dudes get creamed much more frequently in that game, thank-you-very-much.

I also look at this as a weak version of what parents should already be doing anyway.  Clamp down on games that you don't think they're ready for.  Good luck on trying to limit their exposure to violence, though, since movies and the news already portray violence, sometimes without context.  

There's a sadder aspect to all this, that we're often into either blaming the victim for being the target of abuse, or we blame the general group that the abuser belongs to, trying to treat us all as somehow either inherently aberrant or at-risk.  Violence often DEFINITELY starts in the home, but it's often DIRECTLY from their damned parents. I know parents who struggle every day not to commit the sins of their own parents.  They talk about having seen violent movies or making stupid mistakes as kids, but it was always their parents' and other trusted individuals' own behavior that had the real impact; the stuff they're still trying to get over way past middle age.

We tend to ignore that because it's a much bigger battle than just snatching a video game away from a little kid's hand. 

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deadmonkeys

Welcome to 2001.