Greg Kasavin interview

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Hey duders, I wanted to share an interview with Greg Kasavin that we all might enjoy. Given Greg's amazing GOTY lists and Skyrim marathons (which we're overdo for another!), here are some of his thoughts about how he got to his current role.

http://www.schools.com/articles/game-designer-nontraditional-student

His mid-career switch always has me thinking, would you have the courage to switch careers midway through like he did? I wonder if my love playing games would translate into the same love for making them.

Regardless, more Greg is always a good solution!

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

Thanks for mentioning this. I always like reading Greg's thoughts on anything related to games. Insightful, as usual.

voiceinject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really admire Greg Kasavin - I always enjoyed reading his reviews back when he was EIC and Gamespot. Although sounding hyperbolic, one of Greg's reviews changed my life.

Interesting and fun read. Here's hoping to Greg has more than a few guest appearances on Giantbomb content this year.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for the heads up, I love reading about/listening to/etc. Greg.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greg is a great guy, for sure. Every time I see him in a video or read his interviews, I'm always amazed how pensive he is about all his topics. I think it's great to read about how he viewed things before becoming a game developer and after--and how much initially ended up considering the final product a reflection of his self-worth. Interesting to say the least.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He's one of the very few I still respect in the gaming industry even though I don't care about the games he makes or indie games in general but he was one of the best gaming journalist from back in the day.Good for him for that he is now designing games it's nice to know that not all people in the industry are jaded.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Thanks for the link!

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, here's a new interview about the daily life of game designers. If you're interested in reading, the interview is with Iron Galaxy's Kurt Tillmanns--who happens to comment on what the Lang Zone is. :)

http://www.schools.com/articles/what-do-game-designers-do

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I remember watching this guy's reviews on Gamespot growing up as a kid. He's the man!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn

I think since he was already a writer, he didn't make that much of a change. He just switched from procedural writing (Of reviews/features) to more creative writing. While writing a game review might not be the most creatively challenging, it demands a strong understanding of structure and grammar. When you add in that he spent hundreds of hours each year interacting with games it's a no brainer that he had the chops to compose stories for a game. Reminds me that I still need to play Transistor!