Halfway through the year, what's your top 5 GOTY? (poll is for your #1)

• 139 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Edited By liquiddragon

Poll Halfway through the year, what's your top 5 GOTY? (poll is for your #1) (827 votes)

Dirt 4 0%
Everything 0%
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age 1%
Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood 0%
Flinthook 0%
For Honor 0%
Ghost Recon: Wildlands 0%
Gravity Rush 2 0%
Horizon: Zero Dawn 12%
Hollow Knight 2%
Injustice 2 0%
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 26%
Little Nightmares 0%
Mass Effect: Andromeda 1%
Nex Machina: Death Machine 0%
NieR: Automata 11%
Night in the Woods 1%
Nioh 1%
Persona 5 18%
Prey 1%
Resident Evil 7: bioharzard 3%
The Sexy Brutale 0%
Sniper Elite 4 0%
Tekken 7 1%
Thimbleweed Park 0%
Torment: Tides of Numenera 0%
Toukiden 2 0%
What Remains of Edith Finch 1%
Wipeout: Omega Collection 0%
Yakuza 0 7%
Others 4%
Results 7%

I've one played NieR from this year so I'm using this to see what most people are really personally hot on and I also want to look back at this at the end of the year to see if and how the atmosphere has changed, if at all.

• 
clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have been very busy this year and definitely need to play catch up on some stuff, but here's my very short list:

1. Persona 5
  2. Night In The Woods
  3. Nex Machina
  4. NieR: Automata (Not finished yet)
  5. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (What?! Come at me!)
Warren2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I've only played Horizon and Persona 5 this year and I like Persona more...

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Persona 5 and PUBG

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah shit, totally forgot PUBG...if a mod could go in the poll and add that, that'd be cool...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Injustice 2

Nioh

Hollow knight

Dead cells(if it counts)

Yakuza 0 (although i havent played it)

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1. Zelda
  2. Night in the Woods
  3. Hollow Knight (haven't finished it yet)
  4. Persona 4

I am still finishing Nier, which I'm not loving right now and am very excited to try Yakuza 0, so those two might get there.

Horizon was surprisingly boring to me. I like Nioh a whole bunch, but still prefer the Souls game over it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

Persona 5

Nier: Automata

FFXIV: Stormblood

Horizon: Zero Dawn

I think that's actually everything new I played this year, so far, but they'd likely be on my list any other year anyway. P5 just narrowly beats out Automata, which beat out the others by a large margin, but only because of how exceptional they are.

I should give an honorable mention to Yakuza 0, as even though I haven't played it yet, Beast in the East has been pretty rad. (And actually looks like one of the best Yakuza games.)

HaniHani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. Yakuza 0
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Nioh (Not finished yet)
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. PUBG (counts as 2017 release in my mind)

Despite me loving all the previous Persona games, Persona 5 did nothing for me. I just can't JRPGs anymore. Want to play RE7, Thimbleweed Park and Night in the Woods badly, but also promised myself not to buy any new games until I finish backlog. Will break that promise for new Wolfenstein or Mario though. Oh god what is going on this year?

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PUBG, if it's eligible. Otherwise Persona 5. As a huge fan of the original Nier, I still need to get to Automata. I'd been waiting for them to fix the PC version but at this point...

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Castiel

So far I have only played two games that got released this year. Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'm honestly a little dissapointed in both games for different reasons. Of the two I think Horizon is the better game but I also wouldn't call it fantastic. It's an okay game that follows the Ubisoft open world model which has been done to death by now.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The closest I've come to playing a 2017 game is watching Beast in the East so my vote goes to Yakuza.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By odinsmana

Persona 5

Yakuza 0

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Tekken 7

For Honor

Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 are currently my main contenders with Horizon a couple of steps behind. Both are so incredible I don`t know if anything are going to top them for me this year. There are a lot of games a haven`t gotten around to yet that could probably knock the other games of my top five though like Nioh, Edith Finch and RE7. Zelda also looks great, but since I don`t own neither a Switch nor a Wii U and won`t be getting either anytime soon I won`t get to play it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From this list, it'll be...

• Night In The Woods
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Nex Machina
  • Little Nightmares
  • What Remains of Edith Finch

Number One spot is a struggle between Night In The Woods and Horizon, but I think NITW takes it in the end. Though I'm confident in saying that The New Colossus might also end up fighting for that spot later this year.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only played 4 of those games ( Horizon, Injustice 2, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy & Nier)

Horizon is not only my Top game so far this year, but its in my Top 5 All-time.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fezrock

The tricky part for me is that a lot of my 2017 play-time so far has been catching up on older games; I bought a whole bunch of big 2015/16 games during the last Steam winter sale and even more just recently on the steam summer sale. And in fact, right now my top 5 games played of 2017 includes Firewatch, VA-11 HALL-A, and Dishonored 2. Doom will probably be there soon too, but I've only played an hour so far.

However, I have played some of the 2017 releases, though none of the console exclusives, and my top 5 of 2017 games right now is:

• Tales of Berseria (I thought I was done with JRPGs; I guess I'm not quite)
  • Hollow Knight
  • Nier: Automata
  • Tekken 7
  • The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker (the control scheme is a little annoying, but the FMV is as glorious as Contradiction)

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Nier Automata
  3. Persona 5
  4. PUBG (I know it is still in early access. But, even in this form it is AMAZING)
  5. Thumper
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

FFXIV

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch..... I mean Zelda.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Persona 5

2. Zelda

3. Nioh

4. Nier

5. Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age (I know it just came out but I also know how much I loved this game 11 years ago already, so...)

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By DinosaurCanada

NieR Automata is basically as cool as I expected, Everything is a beautiful thing, Yakuza 0 is a shoe in when I play it (I'm already putting it in my top 5 preemptively), Fire Pro Wrestling World (if thats allowed, if not then Persona I guess), Fire Emblem Echoes is my favorite 3DS entry so far, but I heard about some pretty bad grinding later.

Honorable mention to SPACEPLAN, my favorite clicker game ever, Time Clickers btfo

There are still tons of games I want to play that haven't come out or that I haven't bought yet! Thinking about a list at the end of the year is going to be fun

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It was Zelda, but then going back to Horizon firmly put that in first place. Haven't really tried Nier. I really did dig Ghostlands quite a bit but it obviously has a lot of flaws. Long way to go until December, though!

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MeMonk

Nioh is my game of the year I did all the missions and have like 80 plus hours in it. The combat is so fluid and you can get into a great flow state with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played Nier and Horizon yet so as of right now it's Persona 5 for me.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Efesell

Nier, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Stormblood, and Nioh.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Prey
  2. Zelda
  3. Persona 5
  4. Yakuza 0
  5. PUBG
GrizzlyButts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Nioh for me so far.

Still working on Horizon and Persona 5 in alternating bursts this summer.

Not doing Nintendo machines after my experience with the Wii U, so I'll miss out on Zelda.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#28  Edited By isomeri

That murder game.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I haven't played any games that have come this year haha. I'm still catching up from last year's games!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Redhotchilimist

So far:

1. Persona 5
  2. What remains of Edith Finch
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn
  4. Nier Automata

That's all from this year I've played, too. Persona 5 and Edith Finch were very positive experiences for me. Persona 5 is the first Persona game I've played in almost a decade at this point. It's made me look back with disdain at games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect that I tried to play to fill the same RPG with Friendly Party-shaped hole in my heart. None of them do it like Persona does it. Edith Finch is a wonderful little treat. I'm kind of eh on both Horizon and Nier, but haven't played them all the way through yet. I'm planning on playing Nioh and Yakuza 0 before the end of the year at least. PUBG looks fun, but I'm not a PC guy and I wouldn't have a team of friends to play with on a console anyway.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The top three are all real close then 4 and 5 are a bit of a jump lower:

1. Persona 5
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Breath of the Wild
  4. Dead Cells
  5. Injustice 2
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Nier Automata

2. Persona 5

3. Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood

It helps that those are the only three new releases I've played this year.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 Ben_H  Online

This has been such a good year and we're barely half done it. This is the first year in a very long time I've actually played a lot of new stuff, but that's partly because I bought a PS4 and a Switch (I've had an Xbone forever but barely anything comes out on it that I either care about or can't get on PC. I've literally only used it for Netflix this past year or so. I will probably mostly use it to play OG Xbox and 360 games at this point).

Before my top 5 I'd like to say that the Switch needs to get an award for merely existing. That thing has made me excited about games in a way I haven't been in a long time.

Anywho, my top 5 thus far:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - A game so good I played it twice. First on Wii U, then again on Switch when I got it. This game absorbed me for at least 3 months, and I still have the odd extra long session of it, especially when I settle in and play it while I watch something on Netflix. For people wondering since I've played both, the two versions are pretty much the same. There might be the odd extra bit of slowdown on Wii U and a bit better draw distance on Switch (which is the only thing I immediately noticed when I fired it up) so if you want to play Zelda but worry the Wii U version will a worse experience, don't. It's totally fine.

2. Persona 5 - If it was any other year, this would be #1. I love Persona games. They're such a unique experience. I'm definitely going back and playing through 3 and 4 again. This game gets this spot from music alone. Holy shit that song "Life Will Change" (AKA the song that plays when you're going to steal the treasure) is amazing. I love the characters too. Sojiro is a baller, and all the teammates are great.

2.5 Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic - Yes it's technically a remaster, but finally someone had the brains to say "rather than keep butchering RCT trying to create new versions, why don't we just release RCT1 and RCT2 on iOS?" and that's what they did (it includes all expansions, so there's somewhere around 100 parks to play along with custom parks). They rebuilt it from the ground up (since the original version was made in x86 assembly and not exactly portable) but kept it incredibly faithful to the originals down to the same bugs from the old games. There've been a few new bugs that they've crunched and now it's amazing. I've played easily 100 hours of this since March and I'm probably a quarter done it. It runs great and feels totally authentic and how it should. You can play it on iPhone but I 100% recommend iPad instead. It's a million times better on that bigger screen.

3. Dirt 4 - Once you fix the initially overly sensitive force feedback when using the racing wheel, this game is basically Dirt Rally with a Mitsubishi Lancer and unlimited stages. And that is about exactly what I wanted from a post-Dirt Rally Dirt game. Some of the generated stages can feel repetitive and sometimes the codriver calls can be timed badly but in exchange for unlimited stages, that's a small price to pay.

4. Snake Pass - I haven't beat it yet but fuck yeah this game is awesome. It's so relaxing to play. The controls are wonky at first but once you get comfy they're super slick.

5. Horizon: Zero Dawn - Truthfully I have barely scratched the surface of this game, but I already adore it. Persona put this game on the sidelines so now that I'm done round 1 of Persona (I'm going to start replaying it soon) I'm going to dig into this more.

Honorable Mentions: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (amazing!), GoNNER (just got this one yesterday. Seems cool!), Puyo Puyo Tetris for Switch (I suck at Puyo Puyo but it's portable Tetris that's really good so I love it), ARMS (pretty fun thing to play every once in a while), Thumper for Switch (a great port of a neat game. I need to play more of it).

Things I'm looking forward to: Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, F1 2017, Yakuza 0 (I bought it but Persona happened)

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been a good year...Botw, Persona 5, Yakuza 0...It is an impossible choice but I guess if I had to pick one it's Botw. I just can't think of an argument that puts anything else ahead. Excellent year for games so far, the fact that some of us are already struggling to have a clear favorite should speak for itself.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BabyChooChoo

In no particular order:

1. Gravity Rush 2
  2. Nioh
  3. FFXIV: Stormblood
  4. Persona 5
  5. Horizon

Though looking at it now, that'll probably be pretty close to the final order. Still have to finish Nier, Torment, and Berseria. Just got FF XII Zodiac Age and I'm loving that so far so that might rank pretty high. I have BotW but, for reasons I won't get into here, I'm not sure how interested I am in playing anymore of it. Etrian Odyssey V still has yet to come out, but I can easily see that invading my top 5.

Nioh is probably the most surprising pick for me. Given how little I paid attention to this game prior to release, the fact the studio's last action game wasn't great, and the fact I'm not a huge Souls fan, I hadn't even planned to buy it. Then the reviews started dropping and I swooped up a copy and I fell in love.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. PREY

2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3. Gravity Rush 2

4. Horizon: Zero Dawn

5. Nier Automata

I really, really like PREY.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess out of the stuff on that list I've actually played and still want to play, Wildlands wins by default. That's both surprising and a little depressing.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

There's Zelda at numero uno, and then there's a bunch of other crap I played and sort of liked.

And I played a little PUBG but I'm not counting that until it gets its real launch.

jfunkhouser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jfunkhouser

I guess Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada would file under "others".

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@liquiddragon: Polls can't be edited.

My GOTY so far is PUBG as well.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just actually made my mid(ish) point list two days ago! Here it is, with my addendum lists of 'haven't played enough' 'need to play' 'maybe play' and 'stopped playing.'

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Persona 5
  4. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  5. Nier Automata
  6. Dead Cells
  7. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
  8. Crazy Taxi Gazillionaire
  9. MLB The Show 17
  10. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  11. Magikarp Jump

Not Played Enough

• Nioh
  • Tumbleseed

Need to Play

• Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
  • Night in the Woods
  • Hollow Knight
  • Everything
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Prey
  • Injustice 2

Maybe Play

• Gravity Rush 2
    • Likely Will Not Play
  • Yakuza 0
    • Won't Play - Beast in the East
  • For Honor
    • Likely Will Not Play
  • Snake Pass
  • Yooka-Laylee
  • Flinthook

STOPPED

• Marvel Heroes Omega BETA
  • Picross Makeout League

Not quite as many games knocked out as this time last year, but some of 2017's games have been meaty as hell - spent over 70 hours in 3 different games thus far.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: oh weird...I made this poll a long time ago and I guess I didn't provide enough options and a mod (actually it was you lol) went in and added more

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2498541f436
deactivated-5a2498541f436

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Prey
999999. Nioh

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@liquiddragon: Yeah that used to work a long time ago, but more often than not the poll would end up breaking. Now they can't be edited at all.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BoboBones

1. Zelda.

2. Nioh

3. PUBG

4. Shadow Tactics Blades of The Shogun (Playing it on PC which came out last December, but it's getting a console release this year)

5. The actual gameplay in MLB The Show 17 is fantastic this year, but the microtransactions and sub par servers really hindered my social enjoyment to a point where I only play it single player. As of now, it's pretty much tied with Persona 5 for my #5. (I went into 2017 expecting Persona 5 to be my GOTY but I have a number of issues with it.)

Still need to play Night in The Woods, Hollow Knight, Neir, and Yakuza 0.

I am past the slow parts of Gravity Rush 2, so we shall see how that goes. Much stronger then the first one so far.

GnosisLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Nier Automata

2. Persona 5

3. Yakuza 0

4. Night in the Woods

5. Zelda BOTW

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I have played very little that was a release from this year. Like, only Friday the 13th and that is not GOTY material.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Tom_omb

Zelda, the demo for NieR, and Disney Afternoon collection are the only "2017 games" I have played. Zelda is my number one.

I didn't enjoy playing the demo of NieR and the aesthetics of that game turn me off. Essentially everything I've seen for myself doesn't look appealing, but the conversation around it is very intriguing. Maybe I'll play it, along with many other games that came out this year, sometime in the future. Horizon, Thimbleweed Park and Night in the Woods are among the games on that list.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No order: (Yet)

• Persona 5
  • Prey
  • Botw
  • PuBg
  • Horizon ZD

Overwatch..... I mean Zelda.

Also, I feel this too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only new releases I have played this year are The Sexy Brutale and PUBG. I would say PUBG is the best of the two. The Sexy Brutale gets the best style award.