Handheld Favourites.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Greg

I've been playing more handheld games recently as the quick-fix/on-the-go style is really handy. There have been many games come and go for me but most of them don't stick for more than one short sitting.

The internet is loaded with 'best of' lists but I wondered what your favourite handheld games of all time are, and why you like them.

Any device and any generation, including iOS and Android. I need inspiration.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#3 sweep  Moderator

I have played a ridiculous amount of Hearthstone on my phone, often opting for the handheld version even when at home because then I could play in bed/lying on the sofa without having to sit at my desk. That game is let down by its expensive card cost and mandatory internet connection to play, however, so it's not perfect for every situation.

I've been playing a lot of Portal: Bridge Constructor on my tablet recently, that's a good fit. I also loved FTL in my old iPad, though unfortunately it's not available on android yet. I'd buy Into The Breach in a heartbeat if it was available. The Don't Starve games also translate over to the tablet interface pretty well.

Her Majesty: Reigns is pretty fun. I played a lot of Super Hexagon, too.

Also.... anything on the Switch?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario 3D Land and Link Between Worlds are both games that rival their console brothers in terms of quality.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, so many.

The three most recent ones are Sonic Mania, Pokemon Pearl and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Sonic Mania is outright addictive when I wanna play something handheld. I guess I should've expected it, since I played the crap out of Sonic CD on my old phone. 2D platformers that I can pick up and play without too much investment are amazing for on the go travel.

Do I even have to explain why Pokemon works so well as a handheld? There's so much game time to be had. Even the simple act of grinding can take up a whole bus ride (and as a result is way less monotonous than doing it on console). You can beat a Gym Leader on your way to work! Finally catch Mespirit while waiting for coffee! JRPGs in general are usually a hoot on handhelds and Pokemon pretty much invented the game.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is awesome. It's all the fun of Mario Kart, except anywhere with console quality graphics and gameplay. Once again, do I need to explain? My favorite memory with this one was when my brother and I had a 2 or 3 hour flight, can't remember which. So we set up my Switch on the food tray, grabbed the joy-cons and just did a gigantic marathon of races. Best way I've ever spent a flight ^_^

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I love Steamworld Dig 1 and 2 on vita (steam world heist as well). Velocity and Velocity 2X as well. Roguelikes like Spelunky and The Binding of Isaac are very good for a short run.

The Pokémon games on GBC and GBA are among the top for me (even though I played them on the PC for the most part)

On my phone, the game I always go back to is Threes.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i started Stardew Valley on PC and eventually fizzled out on it after 1 'season.' just didn't click.

then i picked it up on the switch and it's become the perfect 'backburner' game for trips to the laundromat, bus/plane rides, unwinding after work etc.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The line between portable and non-portable games is pretty blurry now, but Link's Awakening is one of the all-time greats, even compared to the console Zeldas.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sort of embarassed to admit A Link Between Worlds is the only Zelda game I've ever beaten. It's great. I tried FTL on PC and it didn't really click with me, but then I tried it on my tablet and for some reason it grabbed me much more there. I was hooked on You Must Build A Boat for a good while. Ridiculous Fishing is awesome. Threes is like my forever game.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy Tactics : War of the Lions for PsP.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By GundamGuru

@the_greg: In addition to Pokemon, I've always enjoyed Fire Emblem, Advanced Wars, Harvest Moon, and Final Fantasy Tactics games on my Nintendo handhelds. I don't play much portable games since college, though. I'm like Jeff, I drive myself on my commute.

They key thing to a good portable game is that they're easy to pick up and put down. It's why I never got the appeal of something like Persona on a handheld. With a tactics game, you can play one turn, one map, etc and them safely put the game down. With a long drawn-out RPG, I'd forget where I was going. I always had guidebooks with my Pokemon games as a kid.

heatDrive88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

COOK.

Serve.

DELLLIIIICCIOOUUUUUUSSSS. (first game is still great on mobile)

Loading Video...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 74

#13 fisk0  Moderator

XCOM: Enemy Within+ was pretty good on Vita. I haven't picked up Civilization Revolution II yet, but that seemed promision too.

The handheld (PSP/DS) versions of Tom Clancy's EndWar were noting like the console RTS, instead being a really cool Advance Wars/Nectaris clone.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for the 3DS was a cool X-COM-like too!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The World Ends with You for the DS is more a 'game on a handheld' than a 'handheld game' in that it's a RPG and isn't really that great for short sittings but it was one of the best games on the DS. It had an absolutely brilliant control scheme taking advantage of the DS and a pretty great, heartwarming story to go along with it. There's a Switch remake and there's already an iOS remake which is good but not the way that I'd choose to play it. In a similar vein, I'd put Radiant Historia as another of the DS greats and just got remastered on 3DS. It had a great combat system that made smart improvements to standard turn based RPG combat and an actually decent time-travelling story that was gameplay relevant too.

For actual 'short-time' games I highly recommend Snakebird as a great puzzle game. Brad played it for a bit on the recent Steam Stream but it's on iOS and Android too. It's just a really smartly designed puzzle game that really teaches then requires you to think in terms of its logic. Shibuya Grandmaster is punishingly difficult and maybe hates me and I hate it too beacuse sometimes you just get screwed over by bad luck but I've been playing that game for a good long time because when you get into the zone it feels very good.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Pokémon and Lumines.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's not a very quick game, but the Golden Sun titles for GBA will forever be my favorite handheld game. Other than that, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing are some of the handheld games I enjoy the most.