Has G4 sold out?

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By uberpwner93

What ever happened to the gaming oriented channel I used to enjoy? Honestly, shows like Cops, Lost, Cheaters, Heroes, etc. shouldn't even be on there. I used to not care much but now I want the good ol' G4 back. What about you guys?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Might as well call it Spike4.

wafflestomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By wafflestomp

The thing is people watch that stuff, otherwise they would not have it. I too wish they would do more geeky programming. AOTS isn't horrible, X-Play is getting better. They started running the old programs in the morning, I imagine as a test run to see what people watch. But in all honesty it would be tough to fill all day with tech programming. Well maybe not, if they had system/program specific shows it would work. That could aslo get very boring. If they just had better syndicated shows I would not care that it wasn't techy.

If G4 had WKRP the world would be a better place.

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uberpwner93
wafflestomp said:
"They started running the old programs in the morning, I imagine as a test run to see what people watch. ."
I should start leaving my TV on during the day so they think it's a viewer. haha.
Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bear

Most of the shows that made G4 good have either been replaced or transformed into something awful.
The only bearable shows on that channel anymore are X-Play and Reviews on the Run.

It would be nice if it could go back to what it once was. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By brukaoru

Just realizing this?

Unfortunately, I don't think G4 is ever going to go back to the way it was, ever.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

If I may quote "Hooker with a Penis" for a moment:

"All you know about me is what I've sold you, dumb fuck.  I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.  I sold my soul to make a record, dipshit...and you bought one."

The principle is this:  the moment that you gain any form of recognition and acknowledge it, that's selling out.  Honestly, I wish people would stop using the term "sold out" or "selling out" or "sellout" like it's a fucking bad thing.

Instead, use the term "lost their roots".

The new Mudvayne album is COMPLETELY different than the shit they came into the industry with.  Does that mean they sold out?  NO!  They sold out when they made a demo and sent it to a record label.  They sold out with L.D. 50.  The new album simply "lost their roots".  That's it.

People called Metallica "sellouts" for cutting their hair and writing stuff that wasn't thrash metal with Load and Reload.  Did they sell out?  NO!  They sold out the minute they recorded Kill 'Em All!  They just "lost their roots".

Therefore, did G4 sell out because they've changed their format and appeal to a bigger audience than before?  NO!!!!!!!  They simply "lost their roots".

However, there are plenty of times when someone sells out and then comes BACK to their roots *cough*GIANTBOMB*cough*.  Nonetheless, they are still sellouts...and that's fine by me.  =  D

That's right, I just called Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny sellouts.  Thank you guys very much for doing so.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I think X-play is HORRIBLE. Ever since they went to the new format, the show is one big long groan fest connected by one crappy joke after the other.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo
wafflestomp said:
"The thing is people watch that stuff, otherwise they would not have it. I too wish they would do more geeky programming. AOTS isn't horrible, X-Play is getting better. They started running the old programs in the morning, I imagine as a test run to see what people watch. But in all honesty it would be tough to fill all day with tech programming. Well maybe not, if they had system/program specific shows it would work. That could aslo get very boring. If they just had better syndicated shows I would not care that it wasn't techy.

If G4 had WKRP the world would be a better place."
No offense, but you seem the type of person that is making G4 worse by actually thinking it is improving. Don't support the shit-pile that is "G4." A shell of it's former glory.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ryanwho

There's positively not enough game related content in existence to fill a channel 24/7 so of course it'll have other things.

mad4it89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mad4it89

I miss the days when it was called Techtv :(

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thunder

yea i miss the old G4 but if you think about it they need to keep there ratings up to keep the network running so they have to show the shows that people will watch

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By DARKIDO07

G4 sold out about 2-4 years ago.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Illmatic

I had never heard of G4 till about 5 or so years ago and didn't actually have the channel in my home till 3 years ago. Even then till now, I could notice a strange drop in gaming related programming but I imagine it just wasn't meeting their financial needs to keep the station running. In an age of internet dominating gaming news, a televised gaming program dedicated to a simple half hour or so slot is not much of a match to a minute by minute updated internet site. But there is still something about watching an actual human being react to the game rather than a few blocks of text and a couple of screenshots that always kept me watching the gaming programs of G4. I still haven't given up hope yet, but I'm just "glass half full" like that.

Iggys_Stooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Iggys_Stooge

When I first found it it was still called Tech TV  I think G4 was a different, separate channel at that point, and they somehow aquired the funds to buy Tech TV.  And that's when everything went to sh*t.  They dropped most of the informative tech shows, and essentially destroyed X-play by the second year.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MKHavoc

I only watch X Play and occasionally AOTS.  I miss the show Icons the most.  I actually prefer the new XPlay,  I hated the skits and characters they used to have.  It all just felt like filler to me.  Also the reviews were always really late.  It's not perfect now, but I think the show's better now that it's more news focused.

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

I think before anyone puts down G4, they first need to realize the amount of original content they are trying to produce. They already must have a tough time putting together an hour long, 5 day a week show like X-play (which compiles all the gaming info anyone would want, Demos, previews, reviews, trailers and even interviews with gaming Devs). I am not a fan of shows like COPS, or that new show where they have "outrageous clips" but it is better than infomercials. G4 is rising from its infancy and doing quiet well IMO. I would like to see some original content with T.V. shows. I enjoy lost as much as the next Fanboy, but it would be interesting to see them branch out and attempt to create drama's and action shows that air once a week. I did like code monkeys, but I dont think many others did. Also, "Movies That Dont Suck" is quiet simply nothing short of Awesome. I think the first step they could do to branching out to create original content would be to compile many of their podcasts that they air on their website. I really enjoy Sesslers Soap box for its realistic viewpoints of someone who is educated, free speaking and who works in the business of game journalism. That combined with unscripted opinions and debates over blogs like fresh ink and the MMO report would create dynamic and interesting t.v.  Also those who are quick to criticize G4 should also realize that they DO branch out of even the conventional tv programming and have aired things like "Underground Fight clubs" and are looking to do more of the same.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lunarbunny

I watched it when it was still 100% game related programming - the problem was they just didn't have enough content (talk about repeats) and I don't think their viewer base was very big.

I do however think they did the wrong thing to gain viewers.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By TheHBK

This is a retarded question.  G4 has always been a sellout.  But what do you want when the gaming news doesnt exactly take a long time to fill up?  What they need to do is get old video game shows like Sonic and Super Mario and Zelda and run those.  At least something gaming related.  The whole Japanese game show stuff made me want to break something.
I miss TechTV and the screen savers and Extended Play with Kate Botello.  Though Morgan is fucking hot.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Metasin

I will say that I prefered the older programming compared to what they air now but... do we really need it? I think it is a similar issue to what is going on in the print medium. The gaming enthusiast tends to be a more internet savvy consumer who can find gaming news, trailers, etc. on an almost up-to-the-second basis on sites like these and others.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn
mad4it89 said:
"I miss the days when it was called Techtv :("
This.  X-Play was awesome before TechTV got Comcasted.  G4 was always shit.
LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

G4 is shit now compared to maybe 3-5 years ago, when they have good programs on that actually relates to games. the only show i watched on G4 now is x-play (even though i don't watch much of it lately becasue it has turned to crap) and Ninja Warrior, that show is still good, but they keep showing reruns.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I can't stand G4 anymore... especially that X-Play piece of shit.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By CoolDrMoney

G4 has always sucked. Icons was the only show I really liked, but then they killed it in 2006 by focusing on random celebrities unrelated to video games rather than actual game industry icons. I was done with G4 after that.

Phetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Phetz

I agree with Metasin. I was initially really bummed that G4 dropped the gaming- and tech-central programming, but we really don't need it because of all the internet content being produced on a damn-near secondly basis every day. No television show can compete with that, at least for gaming and tech, and the channel knows that and stopped devoting their budget to it. Too bad they devoted most of it to re-runs and old movies.

G4's pretty much irrelevant now, and that kind of sucks, but it's all good in the end. There's other stuff out there that's better than G4 ever was--it's just on the internet.

Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kane

g4 should stick to whacky japanese game shows, cops and video games, hm... what the hell throw some pronz in there too pl0x =)

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cynical_M

I still like X-play....I don't like some of the changes,like where they do a review and the bring up everyone chatting,very annoying...Also I still like Morgan Webb :D

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Demyx

I think jakob187 has it 100%

G4 has changed quite a bit, and I would probably still watch the show if I had the channel.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By prinny_god

yeah I miss extended play fuck x-play
screen savers
unscrewed with martin sarget
and early attack of the show episodes

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By AgentJ

Its true, there are a number of things they could do better with that channel. It's a waste of oppourtunity.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wolverine
uberpwner93 said:
"What ever happened to the gaming oriented channel I used to enjoy? Honestly, shows like Cops, Lost, Cheaters, Heroes, etc. shouldn't even be on there. I used to not care much but now I want the good ol' G4 back. What about you guys?"
They really have. Who remembers that show Icons that used to be documentaries about video games? It was awesome!
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32  Edited By dsplayer1010

They expanded. They try to appeal to the "Nerd" audience.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yes, it has sold out. It isn't the channel I use to love anymore. X-Play has its bright spots here and there, but that's it.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By CenturionCajun

The only program I watch on G4 is X-Play. I've been watching for five years now and still enjoy it greatly. The changes made however are disheartening. I miss the old days of just Adam and Morgan talking about video games sitting on the couch. Now half the time we have rejects from other failed TechTV and G4 shows forced on us because they are "hip" or "attractive." They are the parts of the show that make me want to throw something at the screen.

As for the rest of the line-up it's pure garbage. I mostly DVR X-Play and watch it when I get home from work.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Dalai

Another MTV situation, I guess.  They all end up doing the same reality show shit within 5 or 10 years.

Phetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Phetz
Dalai said:
"Another MTV situation, I guess.  They all end up doing the same reality show shit within 5 or 10 years."
LOL, I remember they already did something like that. It was this reality show about a snowboarding lodge full of douchebags. I really wish I remembered that show's title...

But I kind of see them going the MTV route already, except instead of reality shows it's old TV shows from other, more successful networks.
Phetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Phetz
Dalai said:
"Another MTV situation, I guess.  They all end up doing the same reality show shit within 5 or 10 years."
LOL, I remember they already did something like that. It was this reality show about a snowboarding lodge full of douchebags. I really wish I remembered that show's title...

But I kind of see them going the MTV route already, except instead of reality shows it's old TV shows from other, more successful networks.
Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Foil1212

Man, Icons made me a gamer.  And what other awesome shit did they have? The hilarious X-play where they rarely gave out 5's, and never sucked on a game's balls (which they do so much now.)  Also, Players was interesting, Cheat with Corey Rouse was cool, Filter with Diane Misoto (I think that's how you spell it...?) Arena, portal (remember? Machinima on TV?!?!?!?), electric playground was awesome...Man, I miss the good old days of G4.  The only bad thing was that they were all reruns!

I remember coming home from school with friends and turning on the TV to x-play.  The Canadian Hockey sketches were awesome, and they ripped on games so well.  We still bring up all the classic jokes from the show like when they reviewed Xenogears: "The Y data? THE Y DATA!." etc.

P.S. Attack of the Show was never cool, and though I never knew who Martin Sargent was then, and never watched Unscrewed, it must have been cool because that guy is awesome.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust
brukaoru said:
"Just realizing this?Unfortunately, I don't think G4 is ever going to go back to the way it was, ever."
Agreed. The G4 that was on cable years ago is dead. It was a good idea that took a chance at appealing to a demographic that can often be found playing games and surfing the net rather than watching TV.  However, I liked those old shows like Fliter, Judgment Day, G4TV.com (Scott, Tina & Laura), and Cinematech.  Elements of them still live on in the only two shows on the network worth watching, AOTS and X-Play.  In a sense, we could see it coming.  I remember when Kevin Pereira seemed to guest host every show on G4.  The merger was the first attempt to broaden the G4 audience.  Unfortunately, it completely consumed TechTV leaving nothing but X-Play.  Each former onscreen employee has gone on the other things and can still be heard.  Leo Laport is on the podcast This Week in Tech, Patrick Norton is on Tekzilla with former CNet/Buzz Out Loud host/current PSN Qore host Veronica Belmont and Kevin Rose co-created Digg.  Both networks were better before the merger, but I doubt either would be here today had they not combined.  TechTV was a ZiffDavis project and they couldn't even keep 1UP and EGM let alone a whole television network.  Comcast took a risk with G4 as it began, it had to change because the hardcore video game niche market is too small to support even a 3rd tier cable channel.
Tina Wood
Tina Wood
Laura Foy
Laura Foy
Ronilyn Reilly
Ronilyn Reilly
Diane Mizota
Diane Mizota

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Foil1212

Revision 3 is doing awesome right now though (except for the fact that they cut Martin Sargent's show Internet Superstar.  He coincidentally is doing "This Week in Fun" with Sarah Lane on Thursdays)  Rev. 3 just picked up Area 5's co-op.  You know, basically the 1up show continued? And yes, it has a godaddy ad :(

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gesi1223
dsplayer1010 said:
"They expanded. They try to appeal to the "Nerd" audience."
Yeah, if the "nerd" audience was full of retards and Halo junkies.

Just a bunch of really shallow stereotypes and stupid garbage that moneyhats think we're all about.  It's only a minority of gamers that are like the "casual nerd" G4 is now catering to, and I think it's a huge waste of money on the network's part to keep that channel going.

I just hope G4 doesn't get as stupid as SpikeTV.
http://www.spike.com/video/sexy-video-game/3029970
BRAAAINS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BRAAAINS

It's funny, because I remember about 3 or 4 years ago when everyone said G4 sucked, but there are a bunch of people here saying how they liked it 3 or 4 years ago.  They're trying to capture that male 18-34 demographic, with an emphasis on games.  If you look at the channel even when it was techtv, they played the same 10 shows over and over and over again, so at least now you only see the same shows 2 times a day instead of 4 or 5 times a day.  If you look at it that way, they're improving!

MadMatr07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MadMatr07

It took you this long to realize this?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Milkman

Dude, it's a TV NETWORK! You can't expect them to play video games show all day long and get ratings. They have to have something to break X-Play and Attack of the Show.