Has there been a game that has been badly received..

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By two_socks

Two Worlds on the 360. Game was absolutely fucking garbage, but I loved it.

mrburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#202  Edited By mrburger

Brutal Legend was somewhere between positively and lukewarmly received, is the actual truth. It's a weird batch of criticisms it received, partly for how kind of shallow the sandbox elements felt, and for the semi-wonky battle controls. This was, however, equivalent to horrible, world-ending reception, as the game was built on a super-volcano of hype. Psychonauts was just such a profound experience, is why. And Brutal Legend wasn't the follow-up we needed, it was the follow-up we deserved. And actually yeah in hindsight I think everyone agrees, upon having played it, and let it stew, that Brutal Legend was kind of an amazing, super-fun game, once you were in it all the way up to your horns. Or you get what I mean.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#203  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It wasn't exactly terribly received, but I enjoyed Suikoden IV while most fans of the series seemed not to. It had its problems, especially with its random battles and the fugly graphics, but I thought the overall narrative and characters were pretty great.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#204  Edited By hippie_genocide

Final Fantasy XI - this game seems universally loathed by all but a few hardcore that have stuck with it throughout the years. I started playing it way back on the PS2 and its changed a lot over time. I definitely get all the criticism its received, a lot of the game is just too obtuse for its own good, but at the same time I've rarely felt the sense of accomplishment that I felt from this game. I'm actually eagerly looking forward to the relaunch of FFXIV when it finally hits the PS3.

Another series that I would describe as a guilty pleasure moreso than say it was badly received is the Lego games by Traveller's Tales. I've especially liked the Pirates of the Carribean and Harry Potter versions. Also, I need to pick Alpha Protocol at some point. I remember it getting killed by critics but I've read too many positive impressions from actual gamers to ignore it any longer.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I love NFS: The Run, and that got pretty crappy reviews.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#206  Edited By Yummylee

@ArbitraryWater said:

The sheer volume of people saying Alpha Protocol makes me think that it's probably disqualified, as Cult Status is pretty much the same as getting good reviews, right? (of course, I still think that game is a barely functioning mess of good ideas implemented poorly, but clearly quite a few of you don't). I feel like the criteria here is too broad and we can all just shout games that we think people don't like. Like, I would maybe say Resident Evil 0, but I can't tell if that game is disliked or just under-appreciated.

Wait, are you saying you liked RE0? I coulda sworn I've seen you in the past labelling Zero as one of the worst mainstream RE titles within the series.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By TheHumanDove

Breakdown on xbox.

That game was the bees knees.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#208  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Yummylee said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

The sheer volume of people saying Alpha Protocol makes me think that it's probably disqualified, as Cult Status is pretty much the same as getting good reviews, right? (of course, I still think that game is a barely functioning mess of good ideas implemented poorly, but clearly quite a few of you don't). I feel like the criteria here is too broad and we can all just shout games that we think people don't like. Like, I would maybe say Resident Evil 0, but I can't tell if that game is disliked or just under-appreciated.

Wait, are you saying you liked RE0? I coulda sworn I've seen you in the past labelling Zero as one of the worst mainstream RE titles within the series.

You're thinking of Code Veronica, which I am most certainly not a fan of (mostly because of how backtrack-y it is and how BS some of the boss fights are). Nah man. Zero is great. It drags a bit in the middle, but everything past the training center is both clever from a puzzle design perspective and effective atmospherically. I mean, it never really uses the two person mechanic all that well, but at the very least it doubles your firepower output.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Deusx

God Hand.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#210  Edited By Yummylee

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Yummylee said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

You're thinking of Code Veronica, which I am most certainly not a fan of (mostly because of how backtrack-y it is and how BS some of the boss fights are). Nah man. Zero is great. It drags a bit in the middle, but everything past the training center is both clever from a puzzle design perspective and effective atmospherically. I mean, it never really uses the two person mechanic all that well, but at the very least it doubles your firepower output.

I definitely recall you saying as such about Veronica, which I agree to btw for a myriad of reasons. I guess because those two are often generally lumped together as being two of the weaker (and hardest) entries of the series, I must have just assumed you thought the same about Zero. I like Zero, too. But then despite my many grievances, I also still think Veronica is... OK.

However, the main issue I had with Zero was how slow the movement felt. I don't mean the inherent stiffness and clunkiness of the controls, but how the animations, when compared to the smooth transitional movement in the remake, felt really stilted. That and how there's a noticeable lack of goofy and fun unlockables (leech hunter minigame lolwtf). Otherwise, yeah I think Zero is a fine RE game. Generally solid story as they go in the series; undeveloped partner mechanics--Rebecca was mostly just a pack-mule and Billy being the only RE character ever who doesn't know how to mix herbs was an odd contrivance if there ever was one--but it still managed to add some substance to the story with the pairing, and it made the odd occasion when they're split up all the more harrowing to play. In fact the small section when you're playing as Rebecca on her own, traversing across some out-of-nowhere environmental fan-service to RE2, was probably my favourite part of the game. Oh, and RE0 undoubtedly has one of the best end boss battles for that era of Resident Evil, too.

Yeah, pretty great RE game. Understandably divisive, but it was what I'd consider a solid send off for that particular style of Resident Evil design.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#211  Edited By pyromagnestir

Uh... I downloaded the demo for Domino Master on XBLA and have spent way too much time fucking around with that. Does that count? The Mexican train (man that looks filthy when it's typed out) mode was kinda cool.

If not then I'm not sure. But now I kinda want to give RE0 another shot.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Scrawnto

@RazielCuts said:

Mirror's Edge, people hated the combat and they were right to, it shouldn't of been in there at all but the parkour first person free running was just great.

Agreed.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#213  Edited By stonyman65

Delta Force Black Hawk Down (Review by none other than Greg Kassavin)

Battlefield 2142

WinBack Covert Operations

Mirror's Edge

STALKER

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#214  Edited By Jrad

Alpha Protocol is easily my favorite console game this generation (though I played it on PC too), and assuming you play it properly (pistols, stealth) it's a blast. Just pretend shotguns, SMGs, and assault rifles don't exist.

My second favorite would have to be Way of the Samurai 3 which I can recognize as a bad game, but love the hell out of it anyway. Still hoping I'll find the time to get the "kill everyone" ending someday.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#215  Edited By brownsfantb

Super Mario Strikers on GameCube. I played that game way more than any person ever should, but I don't regret it at all.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#216  Edited By GERALTITUDE

RAGE is one I seem to like more than gen pop.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By mustachio

I 100% completed Sonic R. I am not proud.

fantasyfreak07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By fantasyfreak07

Perfect Dark Zero! I had some great times playing multiplayer in it.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By inkerman

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Probably Alpha Protocol. Honourable mention goes to Dark Reign, which wasn't so much critically blasted (it actually scored well) so much as it was completely overshadowed by Total Annihilation. TA did a lot of new stuff, and I understand the reverence it is held in, but DR is one of the best RTSes of all time, and deserved a lot more attention than it got considering it also did several revolutionary things that were cribbed from by later games.

You are the only other person I know who has mentioned Dark Reign. Man I gotta dig that game out and actually get past the third level...

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Levius

I saw a few bad reviews of the Persona 2: Innocent Sin remake and people saying its dated, but I played it recently and it easily stands up against other modern games. I think it comes up as one of my favourite games of all time.

Army of Two and Kane and Lynch; Dead Men are great co-op games, and both are better than their sequels. I also really liked Dark Sector.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Inkerman

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Probably Alpha Protocol. Honourable mention goes to Dark Reign, which wasn't so much critically blasted (it actually scored well) so much as it was completely overshadowed by Total Annihilation. TA did a lot of new stuff, and I understand the reverence it is held in, but DR is one of the best RTSes of all time, and deserved a lot more attention than it got considering it also did several revolutionary things that were cribbed from by later games.

You are the only other person I know who has mentioned Dark Reign. Man I gotta dig that game out and actually get past the third level...

Shit, I know right?

I was fairly young when it came out, and so for years I thought it busted my balls because I was too young to handle it (even though I was finishing C&C;, StarCraft, KKND, Total Annihilation, etc, at the same age).

Then I went back about...five years ago or so, and it was STILL fucking brutal. The AI in the game was nasty, and the mission design was punishing.

Did you ever skip ahead or anything? The last few missions were way easier than the rest of the game combined.
Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Chojin

Killzone. I was absolutely blown away by that game. I still think I`m the only person on earth who actually stopped playing Halo in favor of this game at that time. This was of course before Gears of War and the 1000 clones that followed, when a dark and gritty sci-fi shooter actually felt fresh and unique.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I absolutely loved Too Human and Brutal Legend.

That being said, fuck the last missions for both of those games.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#224  Edited By spiceninja
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#225  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@DeeGee said:

People talk a lot of shit about Alpha Protocol, but that may be one of my favourite games of all time.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#226  Edited By jakob187

The typical ones seem to be the following:

• Deadly Premonition
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Too Human
  • Nier

Personally, here are my choices:

Fuck anyone who says differently.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#227  Edited By jakob187

@mbr2 said:

Far Cry 2

Far Cry 2 isn't a bad game. That game was reviewed quite well actually.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#228  Edited By MEATBALL

Dragon Age II, loved it.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By darkstorn

@DonutFever said:

Brutal Legend.

Same, I really enjoyed that game. GB's quick looks sold me on the game, in fact.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#230  Edited By project343

Nier.

I completely understand every single criticism. I agree with all of them. I think the game is fucking dogshit from a design standpoint. But it's also one of the most magical, spectacular experience of this generation.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By inkerman

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Shit, I know right? I was fairly young when it came out, and so for years I thought it busted my balls because I was too young to handle it (even though I was finishing C&C;, StarCraft, KKND, Total Annihilation, etc, at the same age). Then I went back about...five years ago or so, and it was STILL fucking brutal. The AI in the game was nasty, and the mission design was punishing. Did you ever skip ahead or anything? The last few missions were way easier than the rest of the game combined.

I didn't even know you could skip ahead, but I loved how you could play from both sides. I think the best part about it was the opening cinematic though.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Inkerman Haha that cinematic was great.

There was a cheat code or something you could use to skip levels, I honestly don't remember...maybe you had to click on some secret button in the menu? Or was that Red Alert? Damn it, I'm old and can't remember.

My favourite thing about Dark Reign was the idea of terrain and how it altered tactics. Decimating superior forces of hover tanks with my pissy little spider bikes due to hills was an amazing feeling, as was sneaking a group of tachyon tanks up a river to flank an enemy army.

Plus the map editor was great and surprisingly powerful...perhaps not as easy as the StarCraft one was to use, but still pretty awesome.
granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#233  Edited By granderojo

I loved the shit out of Brutal Legend and Dante's Inferno.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#234  Edited By zaccheus

I liked Alpha Protocol, but The Saboteur is definitely my favorite underrate game of ever. I loved that game.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By SilverGalford

ET from Atari

Space Ace (snes)

waterworld (snes)

Superman 64

Devil My Cry 3

Virus ( Psx)

Three kill (Psx)

Command and conquer red alert 3

Command and conquer 4

final fantasy 5 sucks balls

should i continue? lol?

SortedeVaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By SortedeVaras

@SilverGalford said:

Devil My Cry 3

Wait who shitted on DMC3?! 2 & 4 I can understand but I thought everyone loved 3.

I gotta say the entire Legacy of Kain series, they got crap reviews, had horrible sales numbers but I still bought and loved them all. We will get that Elder God one day.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By SilverGalford

@SortedeVaras said:

@SilverGalford said:

Devil My Cry 3

Wait who shitted on DMC3?! 2 & 4 I can understand but I thought everyone loved 3.

I gotta say the entire Legacy of Kain series, they got crap reviews, had horrible sales numbers but I still bought and loved them all. We will get that Elder God one day.

it was number 4? i don't remeber lol!

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By aurahack

I can't think of any, but I plan on starting Nier soon. I've had it for so long and never touched it. It seems like my type of game. I think.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#239  Edited By indiana_jenkins

True Crime New York City

That game was a bug riddled mess, but it was the best cop simulator in existence.

Plus, that soundtrack...