Have Any Current Gen Games Broken Into Your Top Five Or In Contention Of It?

• 178 results
urban_ryoga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@rubberluffy: ah man. someone else who loves Shadow Hearts: Covenant

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Witcher 3 is one that will absolutely be on the list. DOOM is another that might get there, but it isn't an immediate "yes" like the Witcher.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By ArtisanBreads

was thinking over my current list cause of this, in not too much of an order:

Deus Ex

Max Payne 2

Red Dead Redemption

Witcher 3

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

(Hitman: Blood Money, MGSV, Rome: Total War, KOTOR, Final Fantasy Tactics round out the top 10)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh, let's see if I can come up with a Top-5 list in the first place...

• World of Warcraft
  • Half-Life 2
  • The Last of Us
  • Grim Fandango
  • Max Payne 2

At least three games there will most likely always remain on that list, while some others change, depending on my mood (shout-out to Warcraft 3). As for current gen games...

Oh boy, I don't know. Night In The Woods, maybe? I've really, really liked a lot of games but I'm struggling to think of anything that would've stayed with me in the way those above games have. Obviously it's an unfair battle against nostalgia and the fact that my taste/habits in gaming has changed, so eh, this might be an impossible task. Top-10 would be more plausible.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: This is all I want from people. Hearts of Stone might be the best and most distilled witching experience.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a hard time coming up with a top 5 at all. After a few days of thinking, I guess it could look something like this, based on the positive impact these made at the time:

1. THPS 2

2. Dark Souls

3. Assassin's Creed 2

4. Castle Crashers

5. Skyrim

I have now even gone as far as to make a top 10, forgetting probably a lot of games which might take these places:

6. Burnout 3

7. Bloodborne

8. Rayman Legends

9. Commander Keen 4

10. Red Dead Redemption

So 4 last gen titles in the top 5, but nothing current gen just yet. Bloodborne comes close, though.

I'm about to finish Witcher 3's dlc, and while I'm very impressed by that game, it doesn't give me the same eagerness to play the game for a prolongued period of time as the ones above did at the time. But not surprising it comes up so often.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By Seikenfreak

Geez. I can't give a ranked list, but I'm sure I could name a handful of games, that feel good in my head at this particular moment in time, and since I haven't done that in awhile.. Lets see.. *Oh, and I'm going to list a series if I feel it necessary* I will not pick favorites among my children, unless it is an obvious choice.

! In No Particular Order !

• Diablo 2
  • Gran Turismo Series
  • Dark Souls Series
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Super Metroid
  • Final Fantasy 11
  • Pokemon Series
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Shutokou Battle/Tokyo Xtreme Racer Series
  • Factorio

Eh whatever. Nothing super specifically from this generation. Feels dumb picking stuff. Everything has its Pros & Cons. Arbitrary list is arbitrary.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far just Rhythm Heaven Megamix. I'm about 5 hours into Trails of Cold Steel, and it keeps up the level of quality so far, it could very take over the RPG slot. I'll probably need a lot of time afterward to really ruminate on it, though.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not really.

There are some PS3/360/WiiU games that could be, but not this generation.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

My top 5 right now:

1. The Last of Us
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. Resident Evil 4
  4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  5. Final Fantasy Tactics

All these games are formative experiences for me, and I spent at least a hundred hours on each one.

TLOU touched my heart, and I was obsessed with its multiplayer.

I'm a Batman fan, and Arkham City has that complete package of pitch-perfect gameplay mechanics and that comic book spectacle with crazy twists and turns. Platinum'd it on PS3 and got all achievements on the PC version.

RE4 is just fun.

MGS2 blew my mind. I respect the hell out of what Kojima aimed for and accomplished with it. It was also such a gigantic step-up from 1 in terms of visuals and mechanics.

FFT probably planted the seeds of cynicism in me back when I was 10. I've grown to be way more of a well-adjusted person over the years, thankfully, but that was the game that made me realize at a very young age that the medium is just as valid as any when it comes to delivering a story that deserves attention. Also it was just great replaying it and trying out all kinds of different builds.

The two closest current gen games are Bloodborne and Overwatch. Both are in my top 15. Maybe Overwatch has a chance to crack it if I find myself still playing it for another year, which is a distinct possibility. Still playing it now! Bloodborne, probably not.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

It's crazy that The Witcher 1 is my all time favorite game, but TW3 doesn't make my top 5...

heathhuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. The Witcher 3 (the best game ever made, nothing will ever come close to topping it except maybe Cyberpunk 2077)

2. Chrono Trigger (I've beaten this game every year since about 97)

3. Metal Gear Solid (representing the entire franchise here b/c it's all one big story)

4. Red Dead Redemption(never felt a better sense of place or historical immersion)

5. Deus Ex: HR (I love cyberpunk and this is a beautiful game and world)

As someone who values storytelling and immersive worlds above all else, there has never been a better time for games.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By Zevvion

XCOM 2 is my favorite game of all time, so that.

Also Hearthstone. And let's not pretend we can't look into the future, Destiny 2 will make it on there as well.

@armaan8014 That's not crazy at all. I rate The Witcher far higher than W3.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

None have managed to do so sadly, I´d say the closest were Doom and BOTW

The top five is:
X-Com: UFO Defense
The Secret of Monkey Island
Link To The Past
Quake
Dragon Quest 8

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

I don't really have a top 5 off hand (Hitman _might_ be in there, and that's current-gen), but the top games that are in contention for my number one spot are:

Persona 4 the Golden - Excluded under your rules, but the changes are big enough to count for IMO (there's more new content than there is total content in some games).

Steins;Gate - First English release was 2014, and I didn't play it until the 2015 pQube releases, so that definitely fits.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Forza Horizon 2 (or 3) and HITMAN would both be up there. OG Titanfall is probably top ten-ish. I find it increasingly difficult to compare new games to some really old games, because it's hard to parse out what's thriving largely on nostalgia, how much forgiveness games should get for technical limitations of their day, et al. I mean, it's not really fair to compare, say, Gran Turismo 3 with Forza Horizon 2/3. GT3 looks and plays like dogshit now, but was amazing at the time. Graphics and physics have come a loooong way over the years, so "better" is tough to say in such cases. And that's two games that share a genre. How do I compare a game like HITMAN against something like Super Mario 3? I love both, but for way different reasons. Depending on the day you ask me, I'd probably list a different top five. I know the popular refrain has been to kinda shit on this generation of games, but there have been some great ones, and at the very least, this generation's Forza Horizon games and HITMAN are classics, IMO.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Rich666

1. Dark Souls

2. Bloodborne (current gen)

3. Castlevania : Symphony of the Night

4. Silent Hill 2

5. Zelda 64

Honorable mentions:

Resident Evil 2

NieR: Automata

Demon's Souls (along w Dark Souls 2 & 3)

Final Fantasy XI and XIV

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Silent Hill 1, 3 & 4

Rainbow Six : Rogue Spear

Half-Life 1 & 2

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid V and Uncharted 4 are superb.

lunacyeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my current top five in no real order :

Ace Combat 4: Distant Thunder (Shattered Skies)

CounterStrike

Shadow of the colossus

Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn (just barely missed the mark , came out in sep 2013)

Nier Automata

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#120  Edited By shinofkod

At this point I cannot deny Rocket League entry in the top 5 any longer. I still put a lot time into it even now, and I've been playing since launch. As far as other games from this gen? Maybe, Horizon: Zero Dawn. Not sure, but certainly nothing else at this point.

ImGrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft

Witcher 3

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Kingdom Hearts

Doom (2016)

Not in a specific order.

Jtruls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE7 (vr ver. only), undertale and bloodborne all definitely could hit top 5 for me, if i was trying to make a list without letting nostalgia blind me too much

DOOM, thumper, dark souls 3, overwatch, nier automata, mirrors edge catalyst and BOTW would probably be pretty close too

And ive yet to play the witcher 3, hitman, yakuza zero or lisa the painful unfortunately, but they all look like they could be possible contenders

Honestly this generation is shaping up pretty awesome now that its gotten through those first couple of slow years, i'd say it is perhaps the most diverse gen yet, there have been incredible games from all different genres

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Breath of the wild comes closest for me currently. I have it at 22 on my alltime list. Still some others I need to play, some I need to process how I really feel about them.

My top 20 by now is so calcified with old games that if anything new even makes my top 100 I think they are great games. There's been a decent number of those this gen. This gen got good around 2015 or so.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#124  Edited By monkeyking1969

I don't even have a "Top 5 Ever" to break. I'm all about novelty, so past favorites become more like warm memories instead of strong loves.

swimbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The quality of this generation has certainly been very high overall, and we have more good games nowadays but none have broken into my top five. The Witcher 3 comes very close but the combat is mediocre. I'll need to think about it more to see if it warrants a spot. My current list is:

• Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Fallout 2
  • Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Baldur's Gate 2

And these sort of threaten to move up the list depending on how I feel a certain day:

• Civilization 2
  • Colonization
  • Transport Tycoon
  • The Witcher 3
  • Grim Fandango
  • Mechwarrior 2
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Tie Fighter
  • Sid Meier's Pirates!
Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 and Nier: Automata

The only 3 at this point would likely be Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment and Dark Souls

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but I don't mean that as an insult to the current gen and new games. I simply consider my Top 5 pretty set in stone because they are games that helped me understand what I like in my games, or that I have very strong emotional ties to. For instance, Super Mario World is not only an amazing, top-tier game, but I played it a lot with my Dad when I was 5 or 6 and those are memories that I'll cherish for the rest of my life. As much as I love say, Uncharted 4, it can't compete with something like that.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS5, Rocket League and The Witcher 3, PUBG is a great game but i have other shooters i'd put above it and it's technically not "out" yet.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@glots said:
  • Max Payne 2

Glots you are a beautiful person. We are probably the only two who know how good Max Payne 2 is. I feel like this came up once before but nice to see.

@armaan8014 said:

It's crazy that The Witcher 1 is my all time favorite game, but TW3 doesn't make my top 5...

It is to me lol but hey. I think W2 and 3 are both a lot better than 1. 2 is very underrated I think.

@slag said:

My top 20 by now is so calcified with old games that if anything new even makes my top 100 I think they are great games. There's been a decent number of those this gen. This gen got good around 2015 or so.

The early part of this gen really sucked I think. 2014 in particular is maybe the worst year in games I can think of. But things turned around. MGSV and Witcher 3 restored my faith big time. I'll get to BOTW eventually, no Nintendo yet for me.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glots you are a beautiful person. We are probably the only two who know how good Max Payne 2 is. I feel like this came up once before but nice to see.

It'll forever boggle my mind how that game managed to sell poorly back in the day. Psh, people have no taste.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Witcher 3, Rocket League and Overwatch all spring to mind.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that top lists are kind of pointless, there are games that have been pretty good this generation, but to somehow drop them in a list and compare with generations of games that i have enjoyed is a weird task to me.

Avatar image for radicalbradical
radicalbradical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne has broken into my top 5. Not sure where I'd place it exactly, but it's in there.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Takoyaki

So far Bloodborne is the only game to have set my world on fire to that extent. I played through that game four times and I honestly wouldn't mind going for a fifth time, I'm that much in love with the world, athmosphere and combat in that game. I liked it so much that I ended up disappointed with how vanilla Dark Souls 3 felt in comparison. As far as contenders go, I have:

Breath of the Wild: Probably the most beautiful and fun world to explore I've ever come across, but the lackluster dungeons and bosses as well as the thin story put it outside the top five.

Metal Gear Solid V: The most fun to play out of all the MGS games, but like with BotW I wish it had much, much more story to it. Also could've done with another zone to play around in, Africa and Afghanistan felt a bit samey.

Resident Evil VII: The first two thirds of this game has some of the best survival horror athmosphere around as you're creeping through the Baker family house looking for supplies and dodging the various family members, but the bit in the mines is a pretty lackluster shooter experience with nothing to explore and too much combat.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#135  Edited By huntad

Well, picking only 5 is tough for me. They have to be games that I replay or have the urge to replay. So far they would be mostly Bioware games.

-Persona 5

-Dragon Age Origins (if I had to limit it to 1 Bioware game)

-Streets of Rage 2

And that's about it right now. I really like the Deus Ex games but I'm not sure which one would make my top 5. Same with Mortal Kombat. I also wouldn't add any MP shooters because they rotate with the current trends. I'll probably just end up adding Mass Effect and KotoR to the list. Idk?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I think I mainly heard how short it is but now I just love the pacing going back to it. I still replay it often.

Bill_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there was, it would be Bloodborne, but I don't really think as fondly about this generation's games as I do last generation's, or PS2, PS1, Genesis...

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon Zero Dawn and Ori and the Blind Forest are probably in the top 10. I dunno about top 5 or if I even have a top 5.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#140  Edited By Atlas

No, absolutely not. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Stardew Valley are up there, probably top 20, but don't quite reach single digits. I don't really have a fixed top five, but it would have to contain Skyrim, Oblivion, and Half-Life 2, and probably BioShock, and then there's a fight to the death between Age of Empires II, Majora's Mask, Civ 5, Crusader Kings II, and Madden NFL 2005.

Threes! is probably approaching the rank of game I've played the most in my life, but I think that almost deserves its own category - I'd never say it's my favourite game.

EDIT: Gahh, remembered Pokemon Gold/Yellow almost immediately after posting. I don't think I'm cut out to settle on a top 5, or even top 10, but I'm almost certain that no current gen game makes it.

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Newfangled

I haven't personally made the generational leap yet, and have seen little evidence since the launch of the PS4/One to justify the purchase of a higher-resolution/larger TV and a new console. There are a few anomalies in this thread, but the lack of depth and variety approaching 4 years into this console cycle is quite telling. Also, there are plenty of last-gen games I still want to play someday (Oblivion and the Fallouts being notables).

The only recent console games I've played/been interested in/have enjoyed immensely are on last-gen systems, too: MGSV and Persona 5. The latter of which could end up being 'Top 5' easily.

On my Macbook, I've played Stardew Valley and Undertale, both of which I enjoy a great deal. Perhaps not chart-topping material, but hugely impactful experiences nonetheless. I've put a lot of time into Assetto Corsa around my friend's place, which will stay with me, and know I would be spellbound by iRacing if I had my own gaming PC and wheel, now that I've raced a few events. A lot of theoretical entries.

For reference, my first console was a PSX in 1997.

Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so i made a cursory attempt at a "top 10" the other day, but i don't really feel satisfied with it. this just includes some of my best game experiences, i think?

not in order (formatting this way to save space):

kingdom hearts: chain of memories // metal gear solid 2 // ratchet and clank // super mario land 2: 6 golden coins // undertale // shadow of the colossus // fire emblem fates: conquest // final fantasty vi // star wars battlefront (ps2) // astro boy: omega factor

so: undertale and 1/3rd of the fire emblem game that everybody seemed to hate. here are some thoughts on each:

undertale met me at the right time in my life. playing through it scratched the ear of the old-school jrpg lover who has, generally, been relegated to the dark corners of my psyche lately. and the music.... a contender for best soundtrack ever, i think.

i put a lot of hours into conquest while going through some tumultuous life events. i've played other fire emblem games, but i like the weapon forging system in fates the best, and the marriage/kids stuff gave me some incentive to grind streetpass battles (because of conquest's relatively unforgiving difficulty). the story is generally nonsensical, but it still has enjoyable enough beats to give the level scenarios some urgency. if i like echoes as much as i think i will, it'll maybe knock this one off?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By BoboBones

@armaan8014: I started The Witcher series when 2 was released on 360. Finally getting around to the first game after loving 2 and 3. Even in 2017 I can totally see why it might be the best Witcher game. It's very engaging. I've really started enjoying the combat, and unlike Witcher 3, I feel there is always an ability I'm dying to gain/level up. Spending points in Witcher 3 felt like a chore.

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Jibanyan

I haven't thought about what my top 5 are in a long time, but Thumper and Persona 5 would definitely be two that I could see placing in it.

I feel pretty confident in saying Thumper is the best rhythm game I've ever played. As somebody who loves that genre, getting the platinum trophy for it was a pretty painless experience since I was having so much fun all the way through.

I love Persona 5 but am still unsure if it'd rank above Persona 4 (which is definitely a top 5 for me). It iterated on fusion and combat in ways that made it much more fun to play than P4 in those regards, but I think I ended up preferring the atmosphere and story of P4 after finishing P5, so it's hard to come to a clear decision on that.

I've never tried to have a strict order because that'd be way too hard, but I wanna say Earthbound, Paper Mario TTYD, Persona 4, Persona 5, and Thumper is a list I'd be comfortable with.

I like RPGs.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@bobobones: It really was about the atmosphere and story for me. Everything felt so... dark and different. And the grey choices! The combat does become fun as you keep playing, evolving into more complicated moves later in the game. And the alchemy was pretty good too! (and the UI/ HUD) It's a pity that most people I've recommended it to can't stick with it because they find it clunky and can't stand the combat.

I'll be giving Witcher 3 another shot in a few months, on my new PS4. I played it on my underpowered laptop when it first came out and had to bear with terrible framerate and the lowest graphic settings. Maybe that colored my experience.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breath of the wild, Witcher 3, and at the very top, Persona 5. This gen is been pretty fucking good

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocket League might be my favorite game ever

LittleWask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newfangled: If you haven't played Witcher 3 on your Mac, it could very well be worth buying a cheaper current gen console to play it. Maybe not a new TV just because that gets expensive, but you can buy a PS4 for a few hundred bucks. Worth looking into, easily in the top 5 of all time, easily in the top 3, possibly THE top.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By BoboBones

@armaan8014: The story/world building and the atmosphere have absolutely been my favorite aspects as well.

3 has the best DLC I have ever played. IMO they are actually better then the main game. Both of them have such a distinct and bold flavor.