Have to get a new PS3 or 360 -- which should I get?

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My PS3 fucked itself beyond replacement and all of my favorite 7th gen games have better 360 versions than PS3 versions, it's got original Xbox compatibility, and a new 360 is cheaper, but I really like the design of the current PS3, it plays blu-rays, and streaming media to it is way easier. What do I do?

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like you've already chosen xbox to me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Seems like you are leaning towards a Xbox 360. Although the compatibility mode for the original Xbox is spotty, and while the PS3 is still getting great games like Tales of Zestiria and Persona 5, the Xbox 360 is suffering a faster death, with only a couple of ports of "next gen" games.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Depends on what you need the old console for. If watch a lot of movies on blu-ray and don't have an alternative, then PS3. If this is solely for maintaining access to your collection of old games, then...whichever console has more games that you plan on returning to.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perryvandell: As far as media stuff, I meant streaming from an external hard drive or nearby computer.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Depends on what you need the old console for. If watch a lot of movies on blu-ray and don't have an alternative, then PS3. If this is solely for maintaining access to your collection of old games, then...whichever console has more games that you plan on returning to.

100% this, also, for a third option, you can see this as the possibility to try out some of the games that were exclusive to the 360 that you maybe never tried?
I did this when my 360 died - finally got to play Journey and stuff :)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

If you don't buy a PS3 then what are you going to play Persona 5 on?

wallofbricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By twitterlegend

@byrjun: I never had a 360, only a PS3. I have a lot of games I don't care about going back to and either way, I'm going to have to sell them for either a new PS3 or a new 360, and the games I really love are ones that have better versions on 360

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@twitterlegend: Then you need to compare how often you play old games vs. streaming movies, music whatever to your TV. If you can't hook up your PC to your TV through HDMI and absolutely need to stream, then PS3. If you want a 360 and are willing to plop down a few 20's on a Roku, as well, then that works too. I'm not sure what your financial situation's like, so the latter option might not be viable.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you'd have to re-buy the games you do still want to replay if you get a 360, yes? Wouldn't that ultimately make it the more expensive proposition?

If you have a half-decent PC, you'll probably find the best version of multi-platform games there - where it will also be cheapest to re-buy them via Steam sales and such.

I'd get the 360 only if there are 360 exclusives you feel you missed out on and want to play (which can really only be Gears of War and Halo).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@believer258: It's coming to PS4.

Yeah, but he doesn't say he has a PS4.

Real answer: If you're not afraid of building a PC, you could probably build a decent one of those and play the actual best versions of most last gen multiplatform games on it, along with some other great PC only games. If you don't want to go that route and only care about playing games, then a 360. If you need a Blu-Ray player and something for streaming, then the PS3.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly both consoles might as well be the same black box (white box?) The only things I personally would worry about are:

Which controller do you like more? (Man I hate the PS3 controller So Much. But the PS4 one is fantastic!)

Which current-gen console do you think you might get some day? (PS4 or XB1, so you can keep your achievements Dawg!)

You wanna play Halo or Uncharted? GoW or GoW? Infamous or... uhhh, Dragon Ball Z for Kinect? (I had to look up what other exclusives there are to pluck out That gem!)

I'd go Xbox 360, But mainly because of the controller.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: A lot of them had bad PC ports or none at all, actually. The skate games and SSX 2012 come to mind.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OurSin_360

get the 60gb version if you can find one on ebay, i believe those had full backwards compatibility before sony realized nobody was playing ps2 games anymore.

They may have refurbed ones at gamestop also, you can always replace the hdd.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I suppose those are really easy to softmod, too. How bad/common is YLOD?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#17  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Depends on what system's exclusives you're interested in?

I didn't get a 360 since there were about 5 games in total on that system that interested me, and they're kinda hard to find these days either way, since Japanese games never seemed to be particularly big on that platform.