Have you ever been influenced to buy something or subscribe to something due to a podcast you listen too's advertisement

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Have you ever been influenced to buy something or subscribe to something due to a podcast you listen too's advertisement (76 votes)

Yes, Reason N/A 29%
Yes, Only to support 4%
Yes, But I would have regardless 9%
Yes, I always do, I have subs to loot crate, square space, I get infinite razors in the mail... 0%
No, Its a waste of money and those ads are annoying but i get it 18%
No, but i would rather just donate 9%
No, I just casually listen to different podcast so always free, not a die hard fan of stuff. 5%
No, Reason N/A 25%
None of the above 5%

Just a thing that's been making me wonder. Most or nearly all podcast have those ads for different things they tell you that you definitely need. How many people actually get and use links to help their favorite podcast. Is it better to just have a donation box. What are ways they could improve listener quality of life while getting filthy rich XD. Note this is not about GB and more podcast as a whole.

• 
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I said no, but technically podcast ads have led to me watching entertainment that I otherwise wouldn’t have been aware of.

Have I bought Squarespace websites or razors or dick pills or navy bank accounts (????????) due to Giant Bomb podcast ads? Haha, fuck no. You do you, but none of the products advertised have ever really appealed to me.

However, did I watch both Ex Machina and Altered Carbon because they sounded like OK sci-fi concepts? Yep. Both of those things briefly had ad campaigns on Giant Bomb podcasts around the time of release. Ex Machina I saw with a friend in theatres and I thought was pretty dang good, and technically I spent money on it. Altered Carbon I could watch freely on Netflix which I was already paying for, so I watched it, and it’s merely OK. Those 2 are maybe the only products I have ever interacted with due to podcast ads.

Were there ever Beastcast ads for the Netflix Castlevania show, or did Dan and Vinny just talk about that of their own volition because they watched it and it was decent? I also watched that eventually.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but if I were inclined to create my own website, I'd probably use square space. And if I use square space, I may as well use the promo code 'bombcast', right?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zeik

Traditional Ads in general just haven't had much impact on me in like...decades. With the way I consume media these days it's extremely rare for me to encounter something I am unaware of through an ad, apart from products I likely have no interest in buying anyway.

But I also realize ads are a necessary evil to support things like the Bombcast, and I assume they must work to some degree of it's still such a common practice, so I don't begrudge people using them. At this point I am basically deaf to them. They go in one ear and out the other.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the answer to this is Yes to everyone despite what many people think to the contrary.

We are highly susceptible creatures who always think we're better than that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@efesell said:

I feel like the answer to this is Yes to everyone despite what many people think to the contrary.

We are highly susceptible creatures who always think we're better than that.

Normally I would agree with you, if the ads were for Coca Cola or Snickers or whatever, but they're not. The number of everyday products I've heard advertised on podcasts is incredibly small.

Whatever podcast ad networks that seem to be connected to all major podcasts seem to fucking love Squarespace and a bunch of incredibly specific services where you pay a monthly fee to get underwear delivered to your door, or maybe a one-time fee to get a mattress delivered to your door, because millennials hate leaving the house. It's not products you might subconsciously prefer when out at a supermarket, and is instead a service you have to very deliberately go out of your way to sign up for.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't think of a time where I've bought something based on an explicit ad spot on a podcast, but I've definitely bought or tried things because they've been talked about on podcasts. Typically it's cheap food items, since the barrier to entry is so low. For example, after never setting foot in one for the first two decades of my life, I wound up going to a Taco Bell for the first time thanks to Dan yammering about it on the Bombcast early on in his tenure and it's now my favorite fast food restaurant.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No, because I'm British, and all the ads are for Americans

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShaggE

Nope, but I've donated to podcasts/networks. I just don't want a Squarespace site/Casper mattress/Stamps.com thing/Dollar Shave Club sub/MeUndies sub, so that eliminates 99.8% of the ads anyway. Ads for other podcasts have gotten me, but I'm not really buying anything there.

On the other hand, just knowing what the brands and products even are is half of the goal of advertising, so they've certainly done their job in that regard.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Onemanarmyy

No, but at the same time ads in general do work. I'm at my current healthcare provider mostly because they had the best offer, but if i had truly never heard of it before, i might have had my doubts and go with a more reliable well-known company for a buck a month more instead. Without ads i would probably not have encountered their name before and learned that they were a new brand backed by a well known healthcare provider.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wasn't sure how to vote, so I chose "Yes, Reason N/A." I chose this, because an ad on a podcast informed me about something I did not even know about. This led me to looking into it and purchasing it. I no longer remember what that specific thing was, but I remember doing this.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikachops

Most podcast players have skip forward functionality. If it's my regular, I pretty much know about the exact amount of time to skip so it's not an issue and i barely hear any of it.

If there was a service where I could pay a monthly fee and that gets distributed to the ones I listen to without ads I would sign up within seconds.

Actually... the Syntax podcast has gotten me to look at various bits of frontend tech and services, so I guess they have worked before, but it helps that they only accept advertisers for things they use themselves for the most part.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope. i have yet to buy a website or domain, a loot crate, a blue apron, a harry's shave club, a mac weldon, a crunchy roll, an audible, an unregulated male enhancement drug, or a don't DUI.

man, i hate podcast ads.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By nateandrews

I totally signed up for Squarespace the other day after a Bombcast ad, though not necessarily because of the ad itself. I had known of Squarespace for years (thanks to the ads...) and have been wanting to create a site for personal use, so it was really more of an “Alright fine” response.

I suppose I also signed up for a free Audible trial after a Dan Carlin podcast ad. Ended up not liking audiobooks, but that probably counts anyway.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once upon a time bought Tweaked Audio earbuds that were advertised on the Comedy Button.

I've never bought anything advertised on a podcast again

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Basically been using Dollar Shave Club for years now and heard about them from Bill Burr's podcast. I also tried out Quip because of the former pod Important If True, but after doing some reading it's just better to get a legit electric toothbrush. I don't regret trying it out and the effect it has had on me being more prudent with my dental hygiene made it a net positive.

Ads on podcasts have become so homogenized though that I'm just hearing the same ones over and over and I haven't been compelled to try any in a good long while. But if I ever start a small business I'll be sure to use WTF's stamps.com offer code and GB's square space offer for an intuitive and beautiful website.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did the dollar shave club back in the day strictly due to GB ads. Gotta say, really enjoyed their shave butter

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure I have. I'm wearing my Bombas socks right now!

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few here and there - bought a Squarespace account for a work thing, and signed up for one of those healthy snacks subscriptions a few years back.

I did buy a Zojirushi thermos when they were going on about them a few years back (actually around 5 now that I think about it).

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrGreenMan

I did twice well over a decade ago. With Patreon those kind of ads I think really don't have much of a place anymore. Also, I been hearing those square space ads since the late 2000's, if I'm not buying there product then, 12 years later I sure am not going to be now.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I purchased, a Leesa mattress not necessarily because Jeff said to; but I needed a mattress and I figured out of all the podcast I listen to I would use Giant Bombs promo code.

I don't often buy what is adverayted on shows, but over of the years of podcast I think they brought about three fairly costly purchase. The two I can recall off the top of my head are a Leesa mattress (Giant Bomb) and a Pacsafe messenger bag (Unbox Therapy). I think two Christmases ago Giant Bomb has a advertisement for meat? I'm not sure if it was Hickory Farms, but maybe it was 100% Hickory Farms!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yes, but not for any of the given reasons. I signed up for StitchFix due to multiple advertisements on My Brother, My Brother and Me, Waypoint and probably a handful of other podcasts, but when I signed up I didn't think to use any of the promo codes or even track them down. I was just really starting to wear down my work clothes, was tired of wearing standard black H&M garments but don't really have more intriguing options on convenient public transportation routes. I remembered how honestly the McElroy boys seemed to like the service and gave it a shot; there were some real duds, but after receiving five straight months of boxes I'm pretty satisfied with the service. I've got enough new items other than shoes that I'm waiting until April to get my next shipment. I just wish I'd been smart enough to use one of those promo codes!

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Initially I was going to say no but then I remembered a Giant Bomb ad suggesting Twix should be paired with coffee and I'd never thought to do that before. Two Twix have been purchased since then as a result.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Tom_omb

No, besides GB Premium and sometimes some mainstream games/movies/tv shows are advertised on podcasts that I would have patronized anyway. I have been turned on to other free podcasts through ads. I basically don't buy things, and if I do I usually go to a physical store. Although, some things I hear advertised seem kinda neat, and may consider some day.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@kraznor said:

Initially I was going to say no but then I remembered a Giant Bomb ad suggesting Twix should be paired with coffee and I'd never thought to do that before. Two Twix have been purchased since then as a result.

Oh man, a candy bar (or many deserts) and a cup of coffee is such a good combination.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThePanzini

The Bomcast is the only podcast I listen to with ads, and tbh until this thread I forgot it even had them as I normally skip the first 15min I've never been a fan of the preamble casual talk.

Barl0we

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't, but mostly it's because most podcasts have American advertisers.

Like yeah, MeUndies sound great. But I'd have to order a ton of them at once, because paying $24 for the underwear and then $24 in import fees on top of whatever the shipping costs is a bad deal.

If I took the subscription I'd save a few bucks, but I'd still be paying $24 on top of whatever the shipping is, each month. And I'm too cheap to do that.