Have you ever bought the same game more than once? (Remastered included)

• 133 results
kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Edited By kaos_cracker

Poll Have you ever bought the same game more than once? (Remastered included) (516 votes)

Yes 98%
No 2%

So I been looking at games I have bought over time and noticed I end up re-buying games. Most of the time it is because I decided to play the game again on PC because of framerate. (i.e Dark Souls) There is also the remastered games I buy again. (i.e. The Last of Us, GTA V) There is also times when I sold a game then really wanted to replay it again, so I would just go buy it used, which is usually only a few bucks, but is still a dumb thing to do sometimes.

How many people are actually buying games again after they already owned it somewhere else, or bought it again because they sold it or something.

• 
Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Well I'm an old man, so yes.

I mean, in 2014 alone I bought at least eight games that I've owned before: Grim Fandango, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Wing Commander III, Sim City 2000, Master of Orion I and II... and those are just the ones I can remember right now, I'm sure I forgot a few. I'm an old man, you see.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I do it way too much.

For instance, I owned five copies of Injustice: Gods Among Us. One on Xbox 360, PS3, PS Vita, PS4, and Wii U.

I don't even have a Wii U.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I own so many versions of 16-bit Sonic, man.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

Yes. Usually one console one PC but I've bought games I already own on PC in disc/drm free form on Steam just for the small bonuses and I've bought PS2 Classics I already have the discs for just so that I don't have to drag out my PS2 to play them.

My worst is Arkham Asylum at 3 copies. I got it first on PC because I didn't have either console, then I got it with my 360 because my PC was shit and couldn't run it at a good framerate, and then I got it on Steam when I got a good PC because fuck dealing with GFWL again.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MindBullet

I bought MGS3 subsistence when it first came out. I bought a Saints Row IV Re-Elected on the PS4 after already owning on the PC, too. Also Wind Waker HD I guess, though that just kind of came with my Wii U. Oh, and Ocarina of Time 3D on the 3DS. Probably a bunch more that don't immediately come to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of times I've boughten Morrowind is higher then it should be. OG Xbox version, then OG Xbox Game of the year version, then PC, then PC GOTY version, then some steam Elder Scrolls sale that included it, then Elder Scrolls Anthologies.

I regret nothing.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By redyoshi

Yeah, I have. Not too often though. Off the top of my head: Wind Waker GC/WiiU, Persona 3 FES/Portable, and just recently GTA V PS3/4.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I have a physical copy of the game the moment a digital copy becomes available on Steam, Origin, or GoG I will buy it and toss the disks. The latest games I did it for was the C&C collection of 17 games. Managed to get rid of 3 disc and manuals with that.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By whitegreyblack

It seems almost unavoidable in the console world, sometimes.

I buy most of the "complete editions" of games I can get my hands on, so long as they have the DLC/expansions on disc. Luckily, nowadays I am able to wait most of them out and only buy the complete edition rather than rebuying. It's one of the few perks of a huge games backlog - I am content to wait 1-3 years to buy just about anything.

Publishers sometimes get me with these remasters, too. I like to have the "definitive" version of something if it makes sense to do so.

I bought Walking Dead for PS3, then when the complete season 1 came out with 400 Days on disc, I requested it as an xmas present from the in-laws, then I bought it for PS4 when my wife showed interest in playing it. No regrets - we're going through Season 1 now and it's great.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My friends all play on different system so if it's a multiplayer game like Evolve or CoD I end up with 2 or 3 copies. Which is fine, but man it gets expensive and different levels/unlocks on different systems is infuriating.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: Well FES and Portable are different games. FES has The Answer while Portable has FeMC.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@redyoshi said:

Yeah, I have. Not too often though. Off the top of my head: Wind Waker GC/WiiU, Persona 3 FES/Portable, and just recently GTA V PS3/4.

I did persona 3 fes and portable by accident. I got them both around the same time a few months ago.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Mortal Kombat 9 for Vita last week even though I've already played it on PS3. Controls are super crappy and unresponsive for some reason, but the new Challenge Tower is fun and I wanted an excuse to play through the story mode again.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Several times when I migrate from one platform to another.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've purchased borderlands 2 for the 360 and for the pc. Steam was having a sale with DLC and I couldn't pass it up!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought Borderlands and Borderlands 2 no less than 3 times each on PC (BL2 twice on PC, one physical release pre-steam, and one digital on steam) PS3, and Xbox 360. I'm sure if I had a PS4 or Xbox One I'd buy that Handsome Jack Collection as well.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Okami on the PS2, Wii, and PS3. I also have all three versions of Persona 3.

I can't think of any I've bought more than those.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 71Ranchero

I paid money no less then 4 times for copies of "Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game" for Sega Saturn.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought every version of Resident Evil 4 except the new PC version. Yes this includes that first PC version. I know I'm part of the problem with Capcom. Yeah though anytime I don't own a game anymore or a PC version is a significant upgrade I'll usually buy it again if I think the price is right.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Including re-releases with enhanced/extra content...

I bought Mass Effect 2 on 360, then on PC, then on PS3, simply because I fucking loved the game (and the copies I bought on PC and PS3 were cheap).

I've bought RE4 three times, once for Gamecube, once for Wii and again on 360.

I've bought Super Mario World multiple times, Super Mario 64 twice (64 and DS), Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3 three times (SNES, Wii, WiiU), Persona 4 (PS2 and Vita), Final Fantasy X/X-2 (PS2 and Vita), Final Fantasy VI-IX (PSone and PSN), MGS2 (PS2 and Vita), The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4), Tomb Raider (360 and PS4)....

I'll probably wind up picking up GTAV again on PS4 after owning it on 360, and I'll be purchasing Borderlands: The Handsome Collection later this month, though that's really just for the Pre-Sequel.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I frequently end up buying PC versions of games after I play them on console. I actually just bought Limbo on Steam because I wanted to replay it but didn't want to hook up my 360 again.

Plus, I buy stuff on Steam or GoG I already own that won't run right on modern operating systems.

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently bought the KOTOR games again, because my old copies were having problems..

I also have 2 copies of Dead Space and Dead Space 2 that i've won on Steam and Origin, even though i couldn't care less about that franchise.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure Zelda OOT for 3DS is the only repeat purchase I've ever made.
As far as games go I'm all about moving forward as much as possible.
Not really into playing old games that aren't as good for nostalgia.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Lol. Yes

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I think I own at least four copies each of Wolfenstein 3D, Command & Conquer, C&C: Red Alert and Descent. I own seven copies of Doom/Ultimate Doom - three copies for PC (DOS, Windows 95 and Steam), the PS1 version, the GBA version, two copies of the PS3 version (the one bundled with Doom 3 BFG Edition, and then the Doom Classic Complete release which included Final Doom and Master Levels for Doom II).

There are also several games I've bought both on GOG and Steam, GOG for offline convenience and future proofing, and Steam for multiplayer convenience.

And of course I repurchase a bunch of old DOS/Windows 95 games I own that are hard to get working once they're released on GOG.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have a nasty habit of selling my games, and then realizing I actually do want to own them and buying them again. I'm trying to get better about this, but sometimes I really want 5-8 dollars.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty of times. From bundles to getting the same game on different platforms and the worst one of all: because I forgot I had the game in the first place!

Especially depressing for games I've never even played.

I have a problem.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Specifically Mass Effect, though I've bought a few others after having sold them in my youth. To be honest though, once I sell a game it usually stays sold.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you say no, you're lying.

LONG LIVE REMASTERS (seriously, they're great)

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BOUGHT GTA V AGAIN FOR PS4. LOADED IT UP THE OTHER DAY. DROVE AROUND FOR 10 MINUTES. TURNED IT OFF.

$60 WELL SPENT.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31 MattyFTM  Moderator

Yes. Specifically Mass Effect, though I've bought a few others after having sold them in my youth. To be honest though, once I sell a game it usually stays sold.

That reminds me that I bought the first Mass Effect four times. I bought it on 360 when it came out. Then I bought it on PC. Then I bought it on PC again because I lost the disc (this third purchase was the first time that I finished it. Didn't come close the first two times). Then I bought it on PS3 thinking I'd play it again, but never did.

I do that kind of thing a lot, but Mass Effect is probably the worst scenario of me repurchasing games.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd be surprised if anyone says no.

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R off steam because I couldn't be bothered to walk up stairs and find my installation disk. I regret nothing.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the Souls games that subsequently had PC versions...

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought all 3 souls games twice. For Dark Souls 1 and 2, it was because I bought it on PS3 and then again on PC, but for Demon's Souls, it was because I wanted to play it again and couldn't find the old disc.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

100% out of 100 votes.

:o

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh just a little bit...

I bought both Rome and Medieval: Total War three times each. Once when they first came out, again on Steam many years later, and one final time I bought the Gold Edition of each game after finding out the Steam versions were shit.

I also did twice for Dark Souls I & II, Oblivion & Morrowind, the original Mount & Blade, Rise of Nations, and Age of Empires II.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hatking

I grew up in a pretty poor family, so I wasn't getting lots of games on the reg. Typically I'd rent most of the stuff I played, but I was all over trading games in and out at various retailers. I was also a little weirdo and kept all those receipts for some reason. Last time I was home for the holidays, I found those and looked through the faded pages to see how much money I lost in that behavior. It was depressing. More depressing might be that I don't own any of the games I'm constantly feeling nostalgic for. There have been plenty of times I've had an itch to play one of those games and I've bought it. I've even bought entire systems just to scratch a specific itch. The one good thing about all this is that I've played a lot of fucking games. It's rare that somebody brings up a game that I'm not at least vaguely familiar with. Sometimes I feel like Jeff Gerstmann born a decade later.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to trade off games early and buy them used a couple years later to replay.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#40  Edited By pyromagnestir

Yes. I've repurchased games that I had lost and games that had been damaged and games that I had sold and games that I owned on other platforms and games that were HDified or otherwise newfangled rereleases or remixes and sometimes, like in the case of Half Life 2, I did this multiple times over for several of those reasons over the years.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I bought a lot of games on PC that I once had on 360, and I've purchased some games on PC twice. Deus Ex Human Revolution? Yeah, I bought that on 360, sold it to get Gears of War 3, bought it again on 360 a year later, sold it, bought it on PC, and recently purchased the Director's Cut edition.

That's four times, twice on each platform.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never at the same time unless you count games I got just by happenstance in Humble Bundles that I already owned on my 360. I've bought Red Dead Redemption three times, COD 3 four times, Nuts and Bolts three times and Spiderman 3 three times. All on Xbox 360. I currently still only own Spiderman 3. And I'm missing having Nuts and Bolts and RDR in my library so I'll probably get them again. God I'm so glad I'm past my late teens stage of trading in games.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Frequently. Here's my list of games that I have multiple copies of.

• Vice City
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit (x3)
  • Pixel Junk Eden
  • Persona 4
  • Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
  • Fez
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Medal of Honor Frontline
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Liberty City Stories
  • Terraria
  • Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
  • Infamous
  • Little Big Planet
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Prince of Persia
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Cave Story

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually not, outside of a console exclusive getting a PC port a few years down the line like Valkyria Chronicles. The only exceptions are

Demon's Souls - 2 copies

Dark Souls - 3 copies

Dark Souls 2 - 2 copies

darthslughorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll is surprisingly one-sided

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To name a few..

• Myst and Riven (I guess it counts, even though my dad bought them when they first came out I played them, plus HD remakes)
  • KotOR 1 and 2
  • Jedi Knight (Academy and Outcast)
  • Republic Commando
  • Far Cry 2
  • System Shock 2
  • Year Walk

There are probably more. It's a pretty easy thing to do, especially when they're games that you played when you were younger or rereleases on Steam that do away with needing a disc.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShaggE

Quite a bit. Not counting remasters and the like, I'm often buying games that I used to own via GOG or whatever Night Dive puts out.

I also intend to start a "big box" PC game collection at some point, so that'll involve a whole lot of buying things I already or used to own.

Edit: And, of course, there's double dipping for different platforms. Rare, but I've done it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I bought and wore out or lost/dropped about 6 or 7 copies of Starcraft: Brood War (had to travel to a university computer lab to play it online for many years). I still have the CD key memorized.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49  Edited By hunterob

I've bought every single version of Metal Gear Solid 3 except for the vita port of the HD collection. If they add more features to I game I like I'll generally buy it. I'd rather buy whatever they're calling the complete edition of a game than buy the DLC piecemeal; as I don't trust that DLC will always be available, even after I already "bought" it and should have access to it even after it's off virtual shelves. So some games I own the regular version and then that version.

I bought the Deus Ex Wii U version not that long ago even after I have it on PS3 because I really like that game and I'd rather play it on Wii U. Feels fresher. I don't know.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50  Edited By BisonHero

I almost voted no. I'm super close to a no. As someone who has mostly played Nintendo and PC stuff there is almost zero overlap, and on the Nintendo side I've never bought a Virtual Console game that I had already owned on the original system. I think there are only two games I've ever bought twice:

• Wind Waker. I bought the original Gamecube very much intentionally. When I got around to buying a Wii U, the store I went to only had bundles, and my choices were the New Super Mario Bros. U bundle or the Wind Waker HD bundle. I was honestly not interested in either because I've played Wind Waker and once you've played one NSMB game you've kinda seen it all, but the lesser of two evils was Wind Waker HD. I still have not played Wind Waker HD. I'm sure it's fine, I just don't have time to play games I already beat like 2 times back when I was a teen.
  • I bought Swords & Soldiers twice. Didn't see that coming, did ya! It's really fun local multiplayer on the Wii that in my friend group inexplicably got as much playtime as Wii Sports. Some of us eventually bought the PC version through Steam, because the Wii version doesn't have online multiplayer but the PC version does.
  • Oh, and from the same dev, I bought Awesomenauts once on a roommate's PS3 and then again on my Steam account. I don't even know why they launched on the PS3 first under some weird exclusivity thing, as updating it on the PS3 was a huge hassle and the community died out pretty fast, but it's still doing quite well on PC.

So there you have it.