#1 Edited by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -

I've been replaying Max Payne which I hadn't touch in 13-14 years and I'm realizing what I mostly remember, the fondness I have for this game, is basically the 1st chapter of the game. I'm halfway through the last chapter (the game is broken up into 3 chapters) and I do remember sprinkles of rest of the game but it's alarming how much "new" areas I'm coming across. I went through a handful of games I played back in the day last year (Uncharted 1, ZOE2, RE4, Mass Effect 1&2) and everything was pretty much in place but it just isn't the case with Max Payne.

There is so much I've forgotten about this game. There are story bits that are completely new to me even though I know how the game ends. There are places, levels I just don't remember going through.

I want to go through MP2 sometime later in the year. MP1 is the only Remedy game I am really crazy about and MP2 left me disappointment back in the day but I'd like to gain a fresh perspective.

Update:
Just wrapped up Max Payne. I still like it a lot and now I'm actually hyped to play MP2 again. May go for it sooner than I was going to.

#2 Edited by BelowStupid (414 posts) -

For me it's usually going back to games that I didn't like/get for childish reasons from like 9-15 years old and finding out they were actually good.

#3 Edited by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -

@belowstupid: That's a great problem to have :D which games?

#5 Posted by Mike (17288 posts) -

I tried to remember what I had for lunch yesterday and realized my memory is really bad.

#6 Edited by WheresDerrick (164 posts) -

Max Payne 2 holds up a lot better than the original; however even it feels dated with how far 3rd person shooters have come. The levels and overall style more than make up for it.

Me personally all the old games I liked I still replay usually once every year or two. The entire first episode of Doom I have etched in my brain; I can plow through the first half of Bioshock in a very short time; I can quote all the lines of dialogue in Half-Life 2 verbatim.

Some games though I definitely forgot about stuff; when I played Quake 1 and 2 a couple years ago, I hadn't thought about them since very early 00's, and things started coming back but I had forgotten about half the enemies and levels. Lots of the crazy shit from Serious Sam First and Second Encounter (specifically the crazy environmental stuff in the second one, walking on walls and going upside down, etc)

Just last month I replayed Darkwatch, and remembered why I always had fond memories of it; I forgot about the crappy controls though! (Also still impresses me that game looked great AND had ragdoll physics on a PS2)

#7 Posted by Sinusoidal (3327 posts) -

I got halfway through a 300 page book a few months back before I realized I had already read it. I've also definitely sat through significant portions of movies I was sure I hadn't seen before until a particular plot twist or action sequence occurred. The only time it's happened to me with games was back in my university days when emulation was very young and I was downloading every 8 and 16 bit ROM I could get my hands on. As beloved as those games are, they had their fair share of generic, forgettable shovelware.

Some things I'll never forget. I can still watch the original Star Wars trilogy and recite 100% of the dialog right alongside the characters even though I've only watched them once in the past ten years or so. That's my eight-year old self's fault. VCRs were a hell of a drug.

#8 Posted by ShaggE (8393 posts) -

I've been playing Doom (and some other games) for over 20 years and I still get lost in some of the levels. I have poor memory in general.

And yet, I can rattle off the lyrics to songs I haven't heard in ages with pretty good accuracy. Go figure.

#9 Edited by kindgineer (3087 posts) -

There's a yellow pipe on a certain (early) level in Super Mario World that every single damn time I trust my instinct it's at a certain point and it's not. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I continue to make this mistake (it's like 25+ times at this point) or why my brain ever thought it was there in the first place.

It drives me insane!

#10 Posted by BoOzak (1717 posts) -

I do it all the time, one of the benefits of having terrible memory is I get to be surprised by games i've already played and know I like. The best example would be metroidvania style games and survival/action horrors.

As for Max Payne I actually think the first game is better (except for those fucking dream sequences) mostly due to how bullet time works but also due to New York being more interesting than the various warehouses and hospitals you go to in the second game. I do like Vlad and Mona Sax as characters though. Much better than the antagonist of the first game.

I think maybe the reason you forgot a lot of it is because the story goes all over the place and is more convoluted than the second game, it's also longer.

#11 Edited by ArtisanBreads (8074 posts) -

I still think Max Payne 1 and 2 are great. 2 in particular is still amazing.

Anyways, have had similar experiences.

#12 Posted by Justin258 (14373 posts) -

I got halfway through a 300 page book a few months back before I realized I had already read it. I've also definitely sat through significant portions of movies I was sure I hadn't seen before until a particular plot twist or action sequence occurred. The only time it's happened to me with games was back in my university days when emulation was very young and I was downloading every 8 and 16 bit ROM I could get my hands on. As beloved as those games are, they had their fair share of generic, forgettable shovelware.

Some things I'll never forget. I can still watch the original Star Wars trilogy and recite 100% of the dialog right alongside the characters even though I've only watched them once in the past ten years or so. That's my eight-year old self's fault. VCRs were a hell of a drug.

I don't a hundred percent remember a lot of the VHS tapes I watched, save for Star Wars and The Lion King, but I have a very clear memory of rewinding them!

"Oh, shit, we watched this movie halfway through before getting bored last time, do we wait on it to rewind or just grab something else? Grab something else? OK... oh shit, same story". At some point I remember getting tired of this process and spending a day rewinding every movie I could find. We had a thing that wasn't even a VCR, it was specifically for rewinding movies, it sat in a corner of the living room. Kids and their goddamn Netflix...

Anyway, video games. Sometimes I do go back to old games from my childhood and, unless it's one of a handful of games I've played consistently over my lifetime, I usually find that my memory of it is just a skeleton of the game - I only remember mechanics and basic story beats and such, but most of it isn't there. By about the halfway mark, though, most of the game in question has come back to me and I'm strolling through it like I've played it three times this year.

#13 Posted by dagas (3482 posts) -

The standards for video games gets higher each year. You don't notice it much year by year but go back a few years and you can clearly notice a difference and I don't just mean graphically. Gameplay and controls are being improved a little bit every year. It is not that you remember wrong it's just that you have played more modern games. Sure there are games that hold up but a lot of it is nostalgia. Very few older games are great even if you play them for the first time. Especially 3D games as it took a while for developrs to make good controls. The PS1 era is mostly shit when it comes to controls. Even great games like MGS doesn't have very good controls and that is one of the best ones. Even PS2 era was not great but a lot better. It wasn't until PS3/360 era that games got really good controls. Look at Tomb Raider as an example. The PS1 games feel like trying to control a tank. It wasn't until Tomb Raider Legend that I felt like I was in actual control over Lara.

#14 Edited by ArbitraryWater (14683 posts) -

A lot of the games I played over and over when I was younger are almost burned into my memory at this point. I played through Ocarina of Time again last year and it turns out I remember a lot of that game in very specific detail, to the point where it actively started to negatively impact my experience. Playing a game based around puzzle solving isn't quite as exciting when you already know most of the puzzle solutions because you played it a lot when you were a kid.

Inversely, I also replayed some Kingdom Hearts II last year after around a decade and it turns out I remembered PRETTY MUCH NOTHING about that game or its bonkers crazy plot.

#15 Edited by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

I remember how bad the dream sequences were in that game and how dodging side to side was the go to move. It was one of my first pc games so i remember how it played on a mouse etc.

I don't think i have went back to games and changed opinion, i think i was always pretty good at recognizing flaws and what i did and didn't like about something. Like shenmue, watching them play through it was exactly like i remembered flaws and all and I still like it regardless.

#16 Posted by JTB123 (1217 posts) -

The dream levels are the main reason I don't go back to Max Payne very often. They sucked then and are unplayable now.

I think there can be good examples of this though. I recently finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and was really disappointed in it. I remember finishing the reboot in 2013 and loving it and went back and played through it again and forgot how better that game is. I couldn't quite remember what made it so enjoyable before I went back to it.

There are some I've gone back to and found out to my dismay that they're not actually as great as my memory would have me believe. That's always a shitty feeling.

#17 Edited by Freedom4556 (264 posts) -
@justin258 said:

We had a thing that wasn't even a VCR, it was specifically for rewinding movies, it sat in a corner of the living room. Kids and their goddamn Netflix...

Ha, I remember those damn things. They supposedly saved the heads in your actual tape deck from excessive wear. I just liked it 'cause it was way faster.

#18 Posted by dudeglove (12575 posts) -

I remembered super metroid being a far longer and bigger game than I thought it was. When I replayed it again recently, it's a far shorter and tighter game than I imagined. I think this is mostly because I spent an awful amount of time trying to find missile packs and getting irritated by Brinstar's layout.

#19 Posted by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -

Just wrapped up Max Payne. I still like it a lot and now I'm actually hyped to play MP2 again. May go for it sooner than I was going to.

#20 Posted by IVDAMKE (1416 posts) -

Sadly no. I wish I did because then I could re-experience certain games, but most games I enjoyed enough to want to go back to I have about 85% of it mapped out in my head. I can still visualize directions to get around San Andreas in my head.

#21 Posted by mrcraggle (2868 posts) -

Playing any N64 game now. I played Goldeneye recently and it was a game I loved as a kid but modern gaming and higher frame rates have killed that game and its 20fps (at most) just makes it unplayable for me. Tbh, any console shooter before the whole dual stick thing was figured out is quite difficult to go back to.

#22 Posted by TobbRobb (6083 posts) -

I have to trigger memory to remember much of anything ever. So most old games are kind of a blur unless I see the fuzzier parts of the game for a sec and can get the ball rolling. But it's all in there somewhere, I go too in depth and pay too much attention during a game for it to not stick.

Though I've beaten it once and I watched an LP of it, I can't remember shit about DMC2 aside from how much it sucks. That game is so forgettable it's depressing. There's that building you fight where I tapped square for 15min and it was a real fun slog. But that's about it for memories of that game.

#23 Posted by Humanity (16205 posts) -

If we're talking about the rose tinted glasses effect that then I've had THAT happen a few times. Games I remember fondly, only to realize they weren't as good anymore and my patience and tolerance for bad levels was just a lot higher back in the day as expectations were much lower.

I remember enjoying ShadowMan quite a bit back in the way-when, but I'm almost certain that game would be nearly unplayable for me now. Same goes for those Legacy of Kain games.

Zone of the Enders 2 - loved that game but man I'm kind of scared to touch it these days (not that I have a really easy way of doing so anyway) because I don't want to shatter those magic memories and realize it was a clunky mess. Same goes for Condemned 2.

As for memory overall it's the same as with all other memory related pieces of entertainment fluff we consume. I just recently re-read a book that I remembered absolutely nothing from. Even upon re-reading it didn't suddenly pop back in my head halfway through - it remained a complete mystery to the very end, a phenomenon that always makes me question the point of it all.

#24 Edited by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -

@tobbrobb: man, as someone who loves character action games, idk how I've manage to resist DMC2 all this time. I think I really cared about review scores back when that game came out and my love of the 1st game didn't allow me to accept anything other than near perfection. Would you recommend me playing it? I actually have the DMC hd collection.

@humanity: ZOE2 holds up incredibly well. Replayed it last year and I was reminded of how much the boss fights gave the combat some nice depth. Replayed ZOE1 the year before which soured me on the series but going through 2nd Runner again reinforced that it was ok to like ZOE. I didn't know the writing and the voice work was THAT bad (it's in the "it's so bad, it's good" territory) but everything else has aged really well. Awesome music, great art direction, and fun flashy combat. Man, that boss fight when you're in the dark and you have to listen to ADA to dodge attacks? Amazing, so inspired. The game is well worth going back to. The patch they did for the PS3 HD collection makes it the ideal place to play it. Runs just like you want it and looks sharp as hell.

#25 Posted by Shadow (5291 posts) -

Last year, I tried playing Jet Force Gemini in the Rare collection for Xbox One. You can never go back home with that shit

#26 Posted by superdomino (171 posts) -

@shadow said:

Last year, I tried playing Jet Force Gemini in the Rare collection for Xbox One. You can never go back home with that shit

Did that exact thing but with Banjo.

#27 Posted by huntad (2346 posts) -

Hmm, not really. I do notice that some older games that I used to like do not hold up as well (red faction). It's easy, however, to realize that controls weren't standardized back then though. I like most games I liked when I was young.

#28 Posted by JEC03 (1420 posts) -

Love both Max Payne 1 and 2 Max Payne 2 still holds up very well today.

#29 Posted by Random45 (1726 posts) -

Well I fucking loved Sonic Adventure 2 as a kid, then going back to it again on the PS3 console was a soul crushing experience because I realized how awful it was. I remember having a blast with all of the bosses, but going through it now, they are all boring me to tears. I remember loving the Knuckles levels, but going through it now I can't believe I ever thought that, they are by far the worst parts of the game.

On a more positive note, I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy 13, and it's honestly WAY BETTER than I remember it being. I don't know if it's because I don't hear much negative hype about it anymore or what, but I'm just enjoying it. Yeah, the endless hallways are annoying, but the combat is pretty fun, and while a lot of the characters definitely start out as annoying and bitchy, they really mellow out and start to be much nicer as the story goes along... Almost like they're a developing character or something, crazy.

#30 Edited by TobbRobb (6083 posts) -

@liquiddragon: Fuck no. It's awful. Play it if you wanna see what a bad character action game looks like as a novelty or something, but definitely keep your expectations at the bottom. Half the game is swarms of flying enemies that you can barely combo on, and guns do so much damage at a safer distance compared to the melee weapons you spend most of the game walking under birds mashing square. The mood and the characterization is super selfserious in a broody teen kind of way, with the tongue in cheek nature of the franchise completely missing. Man I could definitely keep going. As far as comparing games within a franchise goes, DMC2 compared to any other entry is a massive gap in quality.

I do like Dantes new acrobatic animations though, those are cool. And the game looks pretty sharp for it's age, so there's that? EDIT: I'd also like to qualify that I definitely mean it's bad in the context of DMC as a franchise, and mostly in comparison to similar games. It's absolutely playable, not really broken. Just kinda tedious and meh.

#31 Posted by defordj (141 posts) -
Loading Video...

In my memory, the Tekken 3 attract mode demo and Battlefield 1942 are, like, photo-realistic. Seeing how they really look is deeply shocking.

#32 Posted by Shadow (5291 posts) -
@shadow said:

Did that exact thing but with Banjo.

I still liked the Banjo games. I've apparently been spoiled by modern shooters working with two whole joysticks, because Jet Force Gemini is at this point, impossible to control

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#33 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (7002 posts) -

No, I usually end up remembering more than I forget. It's sort of like a trip down memory lane. I love those moments when you have a "wait I think that's here" feeling, and then it's there. It feels great.

#34 Posted by doomguy2 (38 posts) -

I feel you. I've just replayed BioShock (played it twice when it came out) and completely forgot the actual meaning/story of 'Would You Kindly?' and the identity of Atlas.

#35 Posted by LawGamer (1300 posts) -

Wait, what was the question?

#36 Posted by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -

@lawgamer: I got on a bit of tangent about Remedy there...the question is, have you ever replayed a game and realized how much you'd forgotten of it?

#37 Edited by NTM (9798 posts) -

Freedom Fighters. I went through it again just before The Division. What I remember was a great New York atmosphere and a great soundtrack, and yes, that still holds true, but only so far in. There were a handful of environments that I didn't like looking at in the middle of the game, and as good as the soundtrack is, it actually gets repetitive. That all said, I still love the game, and hope for a sequel/remake. Hell, I really want it on PC! While it wasn't the last time I played Freedom Fighters, the last time I actually beat it was in 2004.

#38 Edited by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -
#39 Edited by NTM (9798 posts) -

@liquiddragon: Aw, that sucks. Yeah, I've only tried the demo, and it awkwardly rarely worked properly, because it would either run with extremely fast animations, or extremely slow animations. I just read that you can't make the game go beyond 60fps, otherwise it'll wig out. Another funny thing about the demo is that there's a placeholder voice over for Chris Stone, the main protagonist.

Edit - I'm going to post on your thread.

#40 Posted by KSCK26 (43 posts) -

NARC on PS2. I remember that game being like a car-less gta where you were undercover Justin dudes and doing drugs for sick power ups. I suppose you could still say that's the pitch for the game, but in practice it's a second rate beat me up with garbage shooting controls. Not to mention all the police work was far less engaging than I remembered.

#41 Posted by Shindig (3962 posts) -

Skate's control scheme. Turns out its not as good as I remember.

#42 Posted by Fezrock (204 posts) -

Yes, but not in the way being asked. When I play most old games from my childhood, it all comes flooding back to me and I remember basically everything about the game. So it turns out I have pretty good recall. However, if I think about it, I can't remember anything close to that level of detail about basically anything else I was doing that long ago.

For instance, a couple years ago I replayed FFVIII, and I remembered everything about everything about that game as I played it; and I hadn't played it since 1999. Also a couple years ago I had my 10th high school reunion, which was at my old school that's a K-12 school (so even though I was in middle school still in 1999, I was at the same campus). Being there did absolutely nothing to jog my memory about what I was actually doing in school in 1999, and I have barely any memory on my own of what it had been like either.

#43 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (6219 posts) -

@defordj said:
Loading Video...

In my memory, the Tekken 3 attract mode demo and Battlefield 1942 are, like, photo-realistic. Seeing how they really look is deeply shocking.

There are anthropologist who have looked at how people describe things, like colors or shape. For instance, anthropologist believe that while humans or even proto-humans could 'see' blue until they had to describe various shades of blue that color wasn't really "perceived". This video on it that tells they story much better. My point is that maybe just like any anything else we couldn't 'categorize what photo realistic was until we could see more instances and levels of comparison. Back in the 90s we "perceived" the animations we saw as 'very good' representations because our minds have not perceived anything better.

The fact is our brains are our these million year old antiquated biological computers running million year old software. As time goes on we are reprogramming this ancient equipment to do new things like 'experience blue' of tell if something looks 'realistic'. But the hardware and software while flexible is really prone to doing a piss-poor job. That why optical illusions fool us. In the 1900s people are said to have screamed when a film of a train coming at them was shown.

There are whole studies about why even crude animation still can makes us happy, sad, angry, or aroused. Our interpretation of reality are filtered through some really crappy hardware with some flexible, but very jury-rigged software. I think we have only scratched the surface of why the ancients though and acted different than we do in some instances, often we chalk it up to mistranslated of just to understanding teh nuisances of dead language. But what if it actually is the fact that until humans experiences may forms of a thing, they really don't have a clear perception to even see let alone describe a thing.

#44 Posted by Shindig (3962 posts) -

Loaded up ChaseHQ on the Amstrad CPC for the first time in 20 years. As it was the first game I ever finished, I was expecting a fun, smashing time. Couldn't even beat the timer on the first chase. Surprised that game had digitised speech. I also thought Grand Prix 2 was photorealistic when I played it around that age. How perceptions change, huh?

Avatar image for phoenixvanguard
#45 Posted by PhoenixVanguard (8 posts) -

I have clear memories of playing the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo (which came with Zone Of Enders), holding up a guard and shooting him in the arm, and then watching blood drip down his arm and off his hand as he stood there. I was amazed at the level of detail.

When I bought the full game, I was pissed off that this detail was not in it and I believed for a long time that the game had the violence toned down from the demo.

Years later, I pulled out another demo of the game (a different version which came with a magazine) and was surprised to find that blood does not drip from the guard's hand, leaving me uncertain of whether I remembered it correctly.

Now I'm going to look for a downloadable copy to play on an emulator to discover the truth.

#46 Posted by AlisterCat (7363 posts) -

I have the opposite problem where I wish I could forget all the amazing games I've played but I remember them too thoroughly.

Real life on the other hand... I can't remember a damn thing.