HDMI cable question

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By popmasterruler

My friend just recently got one for his PS3 and the huge step-up in graphics was very apparent.I was thinking of also getting one for my PS3 but I have an SD TV(my friend has an HD TV).Would the quality amp up at all for my SD TV or would it do nothing?Would it make the subtitles in my games any bigger because I'm sick of how small the subtitles are(the biggest offender being Assassin's Creed II).Seriously,I can barely see them and it's especially bad when they're speaking Italian because I can't understand what they're saying.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

SDTVs cannot use HDMI cables.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By yakov456

Stole my thunder. I'm guessing the best you could do is S video or component?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By flaminghobo
@Spoonman671 said:
" SDTVs cannot use HDMI cables. "
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You going to have to buy a 1080p display if you want to use a hdmi cable. Then again it will work on a 1080p monitor at least.  

Of course it would work with a 720p display, however I refuse to acknowledge that as being good enough.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Maybe his SDTV does have some sort of HDMI input.  Maybe.  I dunno.  Probably not.

Nah.  Could just only have component input so that will be the most you can do.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Aetos
@Spoonman671 said:
"SDTVs cannot use HDMI cables. "

Yep.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671
@popmasterruler:    Now that Olly's mentioned it, you should definitely pick up component cables if you aren't already using them.  First check to make sure your TV has the right jacks for them--they should be red, white, green and blue.  They'll make a noticeable difference.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Afroman269

Just get out of the dark ages and get a HDTV, if possible of course...

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By popmasterruler
@Spoonman671:

Any improvement on the size of subtitles? 
popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By popmasterruler
@Afroman269:

I don't have the money.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Afroman269
@popmasterruler: Then component cables are your friend. They won't increase size of subtitles, just makes the picture look smoother. HD is only way.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671
@popmasterruler: It won't make them any bigger, but it could possibly make them slightly more clear.  Unfortunately most developers scale the size of the text in their games so they can be read on HDTVs.  If they used the same text sizes that were used in previous console generations then it would take up a big portion of the screen on HDTVs, which is the kind of TV they cater to because the higher resolutions make their games look better.

Ultimately, the best solution is to get an HDTV, if you can afford the expense.  They have come done quite a bit in price so you can pick up a decent sized set (mine is a 32 inch) for under $500.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The higher the resolution, the smaller the text will be. Component isn't going to fix that, only make it slightly more clearer or improve the colors you get from composite.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By popmasterruler
@Spoonman671:

Gotcha,everyone thanks for your assistance.Also,thank you for not making fun of me for not knowing anything about this kind of subject(unlike those users on gametrailers)
NeoNightmareX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By NeoNightmareX

As said earlier, S-video would be the best that you could do on SDTVs (to my knowledge).

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@popmasterruler: I you want to use HD and don't want to break the bank, consider at least getting a computer monitor that is compatible with hdmi and 1080p resolution. It's cheaper at least if you don't mind the smaller screen. Hdmi cable has sound too if the display has speakers.
endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By endless_void
@Spoonman671 said:
This, you can't plug them in because theres no port on the TV for it.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Siphillis

I say pick up a multi-console S-Video cable instead.  Those tend to smooth out and gussy up video on SDTVs.  HDMI is generally unnecessary, since component cables can output 1080i and, in your case, up to 480p.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jrad
@HitmanAgent47:  There are... what, two, maybe three games that output in 1080p? Especially if buying a TV smaller than 42", there's no point in splurging on 1080p. 720p works just fine. Exception being if you plan on hooking a computer up to your HDTV; while it'll look beautiful/clear with 1080p, 720p will leave it looking muddled and blurry.
irish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By irish

Stop buying games and save up for a HDTV

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Jrad: That's just a misconception that a 720p hdtv will make everything automatically look better. On my ps3 I can select 1080p only, I get an upscaled image, however it's still very clear. I have tried many hdtvs, although my bravia doesn't look good with ps3 games, my other hdtvs like my samsung and toshiba looks excellent. Your also right, that it looks excellent when you hook it up to your pc. Not only that, 720p hdtvs are like near $500, a few more dollars you get a 1080p set, it's too expensive these days for a 720p set. I used to own a 720p set, I hated it and regretted it, I recommend 1080p at the minium and it's not going to look blurry, you can sharpen it or upscale in the options. 720p just gives you a bigger blurry unimpressive picture at such low resolution.
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By JokerSmilez
@Jrad said:
" @HitmanAgent47:  There are... what, two, maybe three games that output in 1080p? Especially if buying a TV smaller than 42", there's no point in splurging on 1080p. 720p works just fine. Exception being if you plan on hooking a computer up to your HDTV; while it'll look beautiful/clear with 1080p, 720p will leave it looking muddled and blurry. "
Agreed. I used to have a 37" TV that could do 1080p and when I switched back and forth between 720p and 1080p, I could only tell the difference when I was very close to the TV (less than 2 feet) and even the difference wasn't drastic. 

Now, with my 46" TV, the difference is much more noticeable, even though games almost never run at even 720p. The difference in upscaling is still noticeable. 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Whatever, that's bad advice and the op will regret it. How come no one will realise you can select only 1080p for the ps3? You get a better image. How good do you think 720p looks? I have a sony 50" 720p set, it looks like shit, it's not even recommended for anything but the trash.  

Also if you played pc games? does anyone play at 720p? No it would be way too low and unheard of for pc gaming, so why do you recommend such a meager display at such a big size when alot of games can handle output to 1080p even if it's not native?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us
@Spoonman671 said:
I have never heard of it being possible. Time for a new TV.
UltramanJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By UltramanJ
@popmasterruler said:
"  My friend just recently got one for his PS3 and the huge step-up in graphics was very apparent.I was thinking of also getting one for my PS3 but I have an SD TV(my friend has an HD TV).Would the quality amp up at all for my SD TV or would it do nothing?Would it make the subtitles in my games any bigger because I'm sick of how small the subtitles are(the biggest offender being Assassin's Creed II).Seriously,I can barely see them and it's especially bad when they're speaking Italian because I can't understand what they're saying. "

Your TV doesn't have an input for HDMI, which is only on HDTVs. You most likely have RF output, RCA white, yellow, and red jacks, and if you're lucky S-video. S-Video would bump things up a smidgen, but the only way you're going to experience images as good as your friend is if you buy an HDTV, and a componenet cable or HDMI.