Help me find a new RPG?

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, I got my wisdom teeth removed 2 hours ago, so I have a few days off work to recover. I feel like starting up an RPG during this break, but I'm having a ton of trouble finding something that I haven't already played.

I'm looking for something on the PC, either sci-fi or fantasy, that has a good sense of place. I really just want to get lost in a world this weekend. I posted a thread like this a while ago and got recommended Anachronox which I LOVED, which is why I'm coming back to you guys.

So, duders, any recommendations?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Knight of the Old Republic(both games)

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

X-Com Enemy Unknown

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster said:

Knight of the Old Republic(both games)

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

X-Com Enemy Unknown

Played both KotOR multiple times, couldn't get into eye, and x-com isn't really an rpg. Played it either way.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What type of RPG are you looking for? I mean, I could be recommending anything from Dragon Age: Origins to Final Fantasy Tactics. Suikoden II to Planescape: Torment. Neverwinter Nights 2 to an Elder Scrolls game.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I jumped back into the witcher (the first one), and while it's like seven years old new, the world, the characters, the lore and the story are top-notch. The actual gameplay is quite enjoyable once you get used to it, the combat is fun, pretty much the only negative is how dated it looks in comparison to the sequels.

Also you can import your save from the witcher to the witcher 2 so there's that.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin said:

What type of RPG are you looking for? I mean, I could be recommending anything from Dragon Age: Origins to Final Fantasy Tactics. Suikoden II to Planescape: Torment. Neverwinter Nights 2 to an Elder Scrolls game.

Beaten all of them :D

Honestly I would prefer a jrpg, but since I'm limited to PC there isn't much choice. I'm burnt out on infinity engine games, and I've played all of the majors from the past 5 years or so.

Anachronox was amazing, but it came out before I started PC gaming a ton, and never got huge, so I never had heard about it. I'm really just seeing if there are any more games that I might've missed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wizardry 8

If you ever get a PS3: Resonance of Fate.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Obscure recommendations:
Recent: Drakensang: the River of Time

Old: Betrayal at Krondor

valitiney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valitiney

There is the Last Remnant. Most people would probably not recommend it, the battle system is unique, and to some who may not understand it fully, it can be absolutely frustrating. I, personally, love it, still playing it today, I originally picked it up on 360, and was thrilled to find it on pc sometime later. Once you get the battle system down, its a blast, and the voice acting is definitely above average in my opinion, not to mention the main character is voiced by Johnny Bosch, the voice behind Ichigo.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By casper_

its still in beta till the 30th but Divinity: Original Sin is pretty amazing.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

The Witcher Games

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

well it would be good to know what games you've already played so people aren't blindly guessing at what you might not have played.

vampire the masquerade bloodlines

last remnant (if you wanna play a jrpg)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If you've never played Deus Ex, then you should.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fang273 said:

Honestly I would prefer a jrpg, but since I'm limited to PC there isn't much choice. I'm burnt out on infinity engine games, and I've played all of the majors from the past 5 years or so.

Then I'm guessing you're going to dive into older games. JRPG's? Hmm, Wild Arms(2 as well)? Breath of Fire III (IV)? Arc the Lad II? Lunar: Silver Star Story? Legend of Mana? A Persona game(except for the first one)? Saga Frontier? Star Ocean II? Valkyrie Profile? This only scratches the surface. Get a PS emulator (coolroms is a site you can check out if you don't know another) and enjoy.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, it's really appreciated! I think I'll be giving betrayal at krondor and last remnant tries this time. Hopefully one of these can turn my gaming slump around!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fang273: I recommend using a guide, that game has some unusual mechanics, e.g. food can be spoiled/poisoned if you don't check it.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Breath of Fire 3 mother fucker!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrowind?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fang273 said:
@relkin said:

Anachronox was amazing, but it came out before I started PC gaming a ton, and never got huge, so I never had heard about it. I'm really just seeing if there are any more games that I might've missed.

If you're not against using emulators and would like a JRPG, then Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and the two Digital Devil Saga games are really, really good. Nocturne is an especially fantastic game.

Otherwise... Final Fantasy VII and VIII are on PC and, er, The Last Remnant? No, don't get that. I think you can still pre-order Wasteland 2 and play that in Beta form.

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't mind checking out an adventure game, GOG has Beneath a Steel Sky for free on every account. It's a pretty cool cyberpunk adventure game.

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll second the recommendation of Morrowind, but be patient with that game if you have never played it before. It can be a bit obtuse and funky for new players but once you get into it it is fantastic.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In case you are sill looking for recomendations the Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga games are now available on PSN , they are good.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

How about Quest for Glory? It's more like an adventure game with RPG elements and I think the kickstarted spritual successor was supposed to come out this month. The whole series will probably come up in the ongoing gog sale. You can import saves into the sequels and all that jazz.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By Zevvion

Deus Ex or The Witcher.

Also... Mass Effect. Obviously. Also, Destiny.