Help with networking a PS3 and an ipod touch

Testing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Testing

After being fed up with my neighbors 40% wifi connection (at best... sigh) for years to play games over the internet, I decided that now would be the time to get a router of my own. Trying to download 1gig demos or patches get extremely frustrating after waiting several hours.  I have never had a wireless router before, and am really quite clueless on the subject. I have a brand new imac (Snow Leapord), and would like a router that would connect an ipod touch and a PS3 to a network. I went on the apple support website and they recommended this. Its called a Airport Extreme Base Station, a $179.00 Apple wireless access point that seems ridiculously expensive compaired to other things that I have seen on other websites. I know that most people use linksis, or d-link routers just by using unprotected wifi routers at my friends houses. I need opinions on what I should get/research, and anything will help.

I know that there have been articles on Tested about things like this, but Im still kind of confused if they would work with my mac software and what would be best for gaming and web surfing on an ipod touch. 

The distance from my PS3 and my computer is around 100 feet away, and I would be willing to spend around a $100.00 on a router but if you have a suggestion that would go over that I wouldn’t really care. Please give me some help as I obviously need it :) 

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Irishdoom

It's no surprise that the  Apple support website would suggest their very own product, but you definitely don't NEED to go Apple for "compatibility."  In this case, it's not like software that has to run on  your Mac, it's just that your Mac has to have wireless capabilities.  Of course, if you have the router near where you have the iMac, you could always hard wire it anyway.  When I'm looking for stuff like this, I often start at Newegg to read user reviews of various popular routers.   

Now, I will tell you that the PS3's built-in wireless is Wireless G, so unless you want to buy an access point along with the router, you want to look at a Wireless G.  One of the most popular Wireless G routers is this: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190  

It should do you just fine, and it's pretty cheap. 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Wow sounds like you use a LOT of your neighbours data. I tend to play it safe with things like that and don't use too much but I guess your in the US so he probably doesn't have a data cap anyway. If that sort of thing happened to him where I'm from he'd be hit with some very serious overusage charges and would discover the scam very quickly.

On your router question just make sure you check up some user reviews on it to be sure it doesn't have issues with the PS3. Some modems give you grief trying to get Nat 2 on the PS3 even though they're new.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By JCGamer

Yea, the PS3 is a wireless G, but your Macbook is wireless N.  I'd get a dual band N router so you can have the PS3 doing it's thing, and your macbook doing it's thing without much interference.  That being said, set up is usually pretty easy with most routers nowadays (browser based) so hopefully you won't have any problems when do get your router.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Lunarbunny
@irishdoom: You forgot to expand upon the reason the WRT54GL is so popular: it has the ability to make use of free third-party firmware that vastly expands its abilities. It's basically a $300 router for $50. 

I have a WRT54GL and run Tomato, but there is also DD-WRT and some other less popular firmware options

As far as WiFi compatibility goes, it's an established cross-platform standard from the IEEE, 802.11. You really aren't missing out on much by not getting an Apple router.
Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Irishdoom
@Lunarbunny said:
" @irishdoom: You forgot to expand upon the reason the WRT54GL is so popular: it has the ability to make use of free third-party firmware that vastly expands its abilities. It's basically a $300 router for $50. 

I have a WRT54GL and run Tomato, but there is also DD-WRT and some other less popular firmware options

As far as WiFi compatibility goes, it's an established cross-platform standard from the IEEE, 802.11. You really aren't missing out on much by not getting an Apple router. "
Very true, but based on the original post, he didn't sound like he wanted to be updating router firmware or anything like that.  It will do him fine as a standard router. 

As far as Wireless N, I disagree.  You can run plenty of devices on Wireless G without causing too many issues.  The only time I recommend Wireless N is if you're a pro and want to set up a full wireless N network to stream HD content.  In which case you'd probably rather do the work to set up a wired network, which is far faster than any wireless setup.  :)
Testing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Testing
@irishdoom: If I got a Wireless N router, would it work with G as well? 

Ant thanks to all you guys.
Avatar image for theegravedigger
TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheeGravedigger

The only good thing about airport base stations is they act as a wireless usb print hub with minimal effort.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Lunarbunny
@Testing: Whoops, forgot this thread. The answer is yes, pretty much every device is compatible with everything back to 802.11b (Wireless B), so an N device supports B and G as well. 

This functionality can typically be shut off if you want, but it's on by default in every consumer device that features it.