Here comes THE CLAW! Or: other ways you hold your controllers.

JCofDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JCofDI

With the news of the Halo: Reach default controls having the melee button placed on the Right Bumper, I realized that the last major holdout reason I have for using the claw didn't exist anymore.  It's likely I'll revert to the old Halo control scheme, but at this point it's simply because I associate The Claw with my 360 controller, and my hands are stuck that way with almost every game.   Most controller schemes simply seem to be built with death-dealing accessibility in mind, so the biggest advantages to it are lost.

For those unfamiliar, The Claw consists of holding an Xbox or 360 controller with your right hand set up thusly: Right thumb on the right analog stick, right index finger manning the face buttons (bumper optional), and right middle finger keeping the trigger a twitch away (bumper optional).  

As indicated by an apparently blurry dude from a website that mentions The Claw.
 As indicated by an apparently blurry dude from a website that mentions The Claw.
  In an FPS like Halo 1 and 2, this was a tremendous asset as you could keep aiming or firing while jumping, while having quick access to the melee button.  Perhaps this could be suited for a Playstation controller though I've yet to find myself using it with my PS3.

As an extra, non-FPS example: Need for Speed Underground's Drag Racing mode was fantastic with a Claw  setup.  You can keep your head on a swivel to make sure no-one is about to and overtake you, be ready to shift with the face buttons when prompted, and keep that accelerator floored. 

Also, while growing up I knew a kid who used an N64 method everyone around here called "pinching," where instead of using a thumb for the analog stick, he pinched it between his thumb and forefinger. If using the Z trigger, he would reach underneath with his right hand and tap it that way.  He could kick my ass at Smash Bros., so I never questioned it.  He returned the favor likewise after I had naturally began using The Claw with Halo.

So what goofy ways do you hold your controllers?  Do you associate it with certain genres like First Person Shooters?  Is it on a game-by-game basis, or perhaps just every game?
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By takua108

Can I see some sort of picture of how you position your hand? I kind of get it, but a picture would help me figure out exactly what you're talking about. 

AND I TOTALLY KNEW A KID WHO DID THAT WITH THE N64 CONTROLLER ALSO! He was also mad good at Smash Bros.!

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Three0neFive

I can't hear "Claw" in regards to controllers and not think about Monster Hunter. :P

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It always drives me insane hearing about people who put their fingers on all four of the shoulder buttons. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT. I don't care if it's easier, it's just wrong.

Personally I've never used a 'non-standard' grip. I can see the advantages, but the normal way always feels best.

JCofDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JCofDI

Added a pic to the OP for clarification.

At one point I did try to convert to the analog-pinch method for the N64 just to see what advantage I could get from it.  I lost all sense of reference and just never could get it down.

JCofDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JCofDI
@528seven:  I KNOW, RIGHT?

Forget the claw, those guys are freaks.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Captain_Insano

I think once you adopt a holding style you are pretty much stuck with it

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@JCofDI:  It's like something someone's mother would do if she were trying to use a controller. 
JCofDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JCofDI
@Captain_Insano: Perhaps, though for a long while I only clawed for Halo, and kept using the index-on-trigger, buttons-with-thumb method for the rest of my Xbox games.  Right up until Halo 2 came out and sucked away my days, at that point it just became muscle memory that I picked up a controller and went into the Claw style right away.
havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By havelava
@528seven said:
" It always drives me insane hearing about people who put their fingers on all four of the shoulder buttons. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT. I don't care if it's easier, it's just wrong.  Personally I've never used a 'non-standard' grip. I can see the advantages, but the normal way always feels best. "
What, you mean your pointer fingers on the Left and Right bumpers, and Middle fingers on the respective triggers?  Because thats how I rock a controller.