Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by Torabi (83 posts) -

Living in Sweden sucks right now. Healthcare be damned.

#52 Edited by MrSpaceMan (120 posts) -

I'd like to see someone new and young. Like, not someone from another outlet or another 30+ year old. @epicsteve might be a good pick.

#53 Posted by Walreese55 (584 posts) -

This is when I start kicking myself for not learning Javascript

#54 Posted by teenmother (50 posts) -

If I wasn't on the other side of the country, I'd apply for the internship. :( Good luck to everyone applying!

#55 Posted by freakin9 (1226 posts) -

Might I cut some corners by offering you a puppy in exchange for a position?

#56 Edited by Castiel (3481 posts) -

Finally! I'm so glad to hear this is finally happening, especially considering how long they have wanted to hire new people, so I'm just glad it's finally happening. I love GB but there is no doubt they need more people in order to create better and more of the content we like. Right now all the behind the scenes stuff is pretty much handled by Drew and Vinny, as far as I can understand, regarding all the video content so one extra helping hand would be awesome.

#57 Posted by Slique (144 posts) -

Out of sheer (utterly mad) curiosity, what's the consensus on candidates from overseas applying? For instance, the tiny island of England? Would they even get considered? What if they promised to bake scones? And also learn how to bake? And pronounce scones the other way?

#58 Posted by TheBlue (1034 posts) -

Will the GB NYC branch be hiring? My resume for "Associate Hang Out with Alex Navarro At Home" is ready to go.

#59 Posted by Pocky4Th3Win (157 posts) -

I'd like to see someone new and young. Like, not someone from another outlet or another 30+ year old. @epicsteve might be a good pick.

I would like someone 30yrs or older personally. It's painful to hear Patrick or Drew sometimes not know about older games and I am not much older then them. I feel that the team needs people who can relate more so the conversations don't get awkward.

#60 Posted by Nyhus (141 posts) -

Giantbomb should make a swoop for Danny. Cause controversy creates cash, yo.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#61 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

On the one hand, I think it's totally crazy that you're outsourcing to the forums, like we're going to see @believer258 or @hailinel on the Bombcast. On the other hand, I'm going to apply for the position regardless and hope I strike lucky.

#62 Posted by SithToast (190 posts) -

I've got a lot of the stuff on the engineer checklist covered ... except for the whole GPA thing :/ Bleh.

#63 Posted by revpeters (30 posts) -

I've never understood the need to have a GPA criteria for coding jobs

#64 Posted by Rorie (5801 posts) -
Staff
#65 Edited by SithToast (190 posts) -

@revpeters: I've noticed a lot of places don't even require a degree now. It's pretty insane.

Oh also, I'm done with school after this summer if something doesn't flub up, so I don't meet that requirement either :(

#66 Edited by jakob187 (22957 posts) -

Alright, @rorie, resume is submitted! Just move that one labeled "Joshua Williams" to the top of the stack. J/K...but seriously...I'm just kidding...seriously...you should put it up there...kidding...

Here's to crossing the fingers and hoping this works out. I've been working for the last ten years to make this type of thing a reality. I'm hoping it works.

Nonetheless, good luck to everyone! Wish you all the best!

#67 Posted by guyver0 (203 posts) -

If I didn't live in the UK I would be applying for that associate producer job in a fucking heartbeat.

#68 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3886 posts) -

oh thank fucking god. NEW. BLOOD. NEW. BLOOD. NEW. BLOOD. NEW. BLOOD.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

Wait. Right? No? Yes?

#69 Posted by DannyHibiki (370 posts) -

I've been working on my application and writing samples all weekend. My résumé is barren, and I don't have any examples of on camera work. Do I gin one up with my phone's camera?

I know it's only a shot in hell...but this lady is going to take it.

Avatar image for alexthebehemoth
#70 Edited by alexthebehemoth (92 posts) -

Dammit. I have the experience, devotion to the bomb, and (some might say) jaw line.

California, tho :\. Giant Bomb ATX!

#71 Posted by davidpengli (21 posts) -

@rorie hey Matt just made a twitter account and asked Vinny, May I ask if Vinny or Drew will be looking at my application for associate producer and resume or will it be someone from HR?

#72 Edited by flasaltine (2546 posts) -

@rorie pick me! i have been plaing video games sense i was born. my favorite video game of all time is call of duty modurn warfare 2. I loved coming home from school and playing that game for hours with my freinds on xbox live. my favorite map was the rust map. All of the newer call of duty games have been great too but i have so much knowstallga for modern warfar 2. Another favorite video game series of mine is mass effect. I love being a total bad guy in those games and being mean to everone. I promise i am not like that in real life though. all of my friends thing i am very very funny. I make them laugh all the time when we hang out. I think i would be very good in front of the camera. Giantbomb is a very funny site. Patrick though he is not funny and he is so lame. he always is talking about gay people and those people are weird and he wants them to be in games. I know jeff would agree with me about those people should not be in games. video games are suposed to be fun not about being politic and stuff. but talking about games again my first game consle was the ps2. When i turn 11 i got the xbox 360 and that has become my favorite. So you can see i have a long history with games. I know a lot about video games and what makes them good. i have written many game reviws for my school newspaper. I would say my biggest accomplishment though is writing my own mass effect fiction because i love that world so much. i just wish it had multiplayer like call of duty and had the gun in front of the screen and not like with a camera behind the dude. so here is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. When commander Shepard was just a little boy he loved to play in front of his house on the planet Scion. Scion is a small planet off in the edge of the galaxy. One day he was playing tag. He was playing tag with his friend Ashley. His mother had called him over to give them both capri suns to drink. It was very hot outide. then when they were finnished with their capri sun the reapers attack. A qucik burst of laser energy went bursting through their house. It hit his mother dead on and she was instantly turned to dust.. Shepard was very lucky that he didn not get hit by the blast or else he would have been turned to dust. But there was a gas tank near them that was hit by the beam. This gas tank exploded and setn shepard and Ashely flying into the air. The blast gave them extreem amneesha. He woke from his comma to find a military commander by his side. The military commander said to him that some bandits must have attack his planet but the military came to late to capture them. But it wasnt really bandits that attack the planet it was really the reapers but now because of the amneesha shepard doesnt know it and he doesnt remember Ashley either. There it is that is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. As you can see it has lots of great twists and i really connected the story to the games. I would say that I am a descent writer. I got a score of 10 on my sat writing so I am pretty good. all of my friends got a 8 or below. I know i am no jk rowling or anything but I have some good writing skills and I can only get better. In conclusion i have been playing video games all my life and i am very interested in them and i know a lot about them. Secondly all of my friends think i am very funny and i just know i would be great on camera. and Third i have lots of expeerience in writing and I am pretty good. But lastly but not least I love giant bomb alot. I visit this website almost as often as I visit facebook. Lol maybe not that much. But I do love giant bomb a lot except for patrick but I guess he is still a cool guy. But if I am in the office i wouldnt have to see him becuase he is in Chicago so it is fine. I know i am still young. I will be graduation from my high school in just a few weeks so I am ready to get a job. Giantbomb is the best site in the world and i want to work there so badly. Hopefully you cna look past my age and see me for who I am and you will hire me. Thanks!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
#73 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

"Must be an adept player of Farmville."

#74 Posted by rachelepithet (1646 posts) -

If Kevin Van Ord can jump from forumite jabroni to respected games journalist at CBSi, anything is possible!

Guys, what if Hizang gets hired by GB and unbans himself?!

#75 Posted by PottsyNZ (105 posts) -

Isn't the associate editor job effectively Ryan's spot finally getting filled? :\

#76 Edited by turboman (9904 posts) -

@pottsynz: Dear God, please don't equate it to that. They've been talking about hiring new people since they got into CBSi, and I'm guessing this is the first(?) step in doing that.

If people get the mindset that this guy is going to replace Ryan, he/she is doomed from the start. More like somebody being able to getting into covering video games for a living and getting an awesome place to start.

@flacracker: This is my favorite post ever on GB.

#77 Posted by rmanthorp (4634 posts) -

I'm excited to see how this goes! Good luck to anyone applying :)

#78 Posted by Rorie (5801 posts) -

@davidpengli: I assume that they'd be looking at the serious applications at some point; the HR/recruiting people will no doubt filter out the ones with dozens of misspellings or are mostly rants about the Affordable Care Act or what have you.

Staff
Avatar image for video_game_king
#79 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@rorie pick me! i have been plaing video games sense i was born. my favorite video game of all time is call of duty modurn warfare 2. I loved coming home from school and playing that game for hours with my freinds on xbox live. my favorite map was the rust map. All of the newer call of duty games have been great too but i have so much knowstallga for modern warfar 2. Another favorite video game series of mine is mass effect. I love being a total bad guy in those games and being mean to everone. I promise i am not like that in real life though. all of my friends thing i am very very funny. I make them laugh all the time when we hang out. I think i would be very good in front of the camera. Giantbomb is a very funny site. Patrick though he is not funny and he is so lame. he always is talking about gay people and those people are weird and he wants them to be in games. I know jeff would agree with me about those people should not be in games. video games are suposed to be fun not about being politic and stuff. but talking about games again my first game consle was the ps2. When i turn 11 i got the xbox 360 and that has become my favorite. So you can see i have a long history with games. I know a lot about video games and what makes them good. i have written many game reviws for my school newspaper. I would say my biggest accomplishment though is writing my own mass effect fiction because i love that world so much. i just wish it had multiplayer like call of duty and had the gun in front of the screen and not like with a camera behind the dude. so here is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. When commander Shepard was just a little boy he loved to play in front of his house on the planet Scion. Scion is a small planet off in the edge of the galaxy. One day he was playing tag. He was playing tag with his friend Ashley. His mother had called him over to give them both capri suns to drink. It was very hot outide. then when they were finnished with their capri sun the reapers attack. A qucik burst of laser energy went bursting through their house. It hit his mother dead on and she was instantly turned to dust.. Shepard was very lucky that he didn not get hit by the blast or else he would have been turned to dust. But there was a gas tank near them that was hit by the beam. This gas tank exploded and setn shepard and Ashely flying into the air. The blast gave them extreem amneesha. He woke from his comma to find a military commander by his side. The military commander said to him that some bandits must have attack his planet but the military came to late to capture them. But it wasnt really bandits that attack the planet it was really the reapers but now because of the amneesha shepard doesnt know it and he doesnt remember Ashley either. There it is that is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. As you can see it has lots of great twists and i really connected the story to the games. I would say that I am a descent writer. I got a score of 10 on my sat writing so I am pretty good. all of my friends got a 8 or below. I know i am no jk rowling or anything but I have some good writing skills and I can only get better. In conclusion i have been playing video games all my life and i am very interested in them and i know a lot about them. Secondly all of my friends think i am very funny and i just know i would be great on camera. and Third i have lots of expeerience in writing and I am pretty good. But lastly but not least I love giant bomb alot. I visit this website almost as often as I visit facebook. Lol maybe not that much. But I do love giant bomb a lot except for patrick but I guess he is still a cool guy. But if I am in the office i wouldnt have to see him becuase he is in Chicago so it is fine. I know i am still young. I will be graduation from my high school in just a few weeks so I am ready to get a job. Giantbomb is the best site in the world and i want to work there so badly. Hopefully you cna look past my age and see me for who I am and you will hire me. Thanks!

I can't tell if this is a joke or serious.

#80 Posted by DannyHibiki (370 posts) -

"Must be an adapt player of Farmville."

You'll never get the job if you don't know of the proper time to use the word adept!

#81 Edited by Ekami (285 posts) -

@flacracker: That may be my favorite post of all time. You may not be the editor giant bomb needs, but you are the one we deserve.

#82 Posted by Adrian79 (222 posts) -

@baillie:

Same here mate, think we should open a GB international office.

#83 Edited by jay_ray (1569 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

I'll put my name into the hat despite having no chance

@stealthmaster86 said:

I would love to apply, but Associate Editor is beyond me.

You certainly won't get in with those attitudes, misters! You gotta send in that application like you were born to fill this position and it is a goddamned privilege that Giant Bomb gets to employ you.

I'll click submit application with as much conviction as this guy:

No Caption Provided

#84 Posted by leinad44 (630 posts) -

Wish I didn't live in the bloody UK :'(

#85 Posted by Justin258 (15670 posts) -

On the one hand, I think it's totally crazy that you're outsourcing to the forums, like we're going to see @believer258 or @hailinel on the Bombcast. On the other hand, I'm going to apply for the position regardless and hope I strike lucky.

Thanks for tagging me! I'm also going to apply and pray.

#87 Edited by ripelivejam (13203 posts) -

kinda think it's weird they're advertising here, thought they'd have plenty of relative unknowns in the industry to go out scouting for. maybe this is just in addition to that.

good luck to the applicants and i'll look forward to fresh faces! i would apply but i have the personality of a doormat and my film experience is limited to appearances in a couple of my friend's low (low) budget zombie films.

#88 Posted by Wrighteous86 (4022 posts) -

Hopefully my lifelong premium membership will act in lieu of a bribe, my involvement with the community will be a plus, and I can ruthlessly capitalize on my meeting DuskVamp through the forums (and our recent engagement) as a human interest hook to at least get an interview.

@rorie I bought you drinks in San Fran last summer! That's good for a recommendation, right? ....Right?

Also, hire @hamst3r for that video dealie. I mean, seriously.

#89 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (2319 posts) -

@rorie said:
  • Experience developing software with Java, Python, or PHP.

So no real programming languages then.

oh ... one of THOSE guys.

Is it just me or is it weird that the editor job it up for grabs like that? ... I would have imagined that they have someone in mind they want for a spot like that.

#90 Edited by pr1mus (4158 posts) -
Loading Video...

New blood! New people to complain about! New photoshop thread incoming!

more seriously though, this can only be good. I love the staff but the site has been stagnating for a while now.

#91 Posted by revpeters (30 posts) -

@rorie: seeing some written code from the person makes more sense than a GPA requirement.

bad habits formed in class can get you a 3.0 but be bad for an actual job.

#92 Edited by LackingSaint (2185 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@flacracker said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or serious.

I can't believe you find it difficult to see the pure, unbridled enthusiasm this good man has for GiantBomb. Hire him, Rorie, hire him or I will cry hard.

If I wasn't a million miles away, I would apply for this job in a second. I'm just saying guys, I could do all that other editor stuff AND do Bombcast Animations!

#93 Posted by TheHT (15870 posts) -
#94 Posted by revpeters (30 posts) -

@rorie: the only things on that list making it sound like an internship is "Must have at least one more semester/quarter to go at the end of internship" and "Currently working towards a Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related software engineering field"

#95 Posted by Seikenfreak (1538 posts) -

Ugh that Associate Editor position sounds exactly how I imagined I would work at GB. But IMO I don't quite cut it. I've worked with Premiere a little making my own simple videos. When I am passionate about a subject I seem to be able to just type huge amounts about it, and a lot of times it's written better than the usual forum talk, but it's not on a professional/educated English level. I've been playing games my whole life but have no where near the insane all encompassing game history and industry knowledge the GB guys seem to. I think I've got the same dry sarcastic sense of humor as GB. And they desperately need someone more experienced with automotive subjects to make a Gran Turismo/Forza Quick Look more interesting ;)

No on camera experience though and no idea how comfortable I'd be. I've done voice recording for some videos and find myself constantly yawning for some weird reason. As soon as I hit record and start talking it's an endless wave of yawns. I'm also on the East Coast :/

Oh well. I'm excited to see some new people but man, whoever gets these on-camera positions, if they aren't an already known and liked person like Danny or Jeff Green then the community is no doubt going to grill them to death and complain like they do with Patrick.

Best of luck to those that apply!

#96 Posted by johncallahan (898 posts) -

While I have to imagine that there is at least one person out there more qualified than I am... ah what the hell. I'll send along a resume and all that jazz. Best of luck to everyone who applies.

#97 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Pick me instead good writers are concise and know what not to say.

#98 Posted by OldGuy (1687 posts) -

Shall I jump in with the first: "God! The new guy/gal SUCKS! Ewww. I'm not watching ANYTHING he/she is in. ARRRGH."?

#99 Posted by theuselessgod (339 posts) -

Wow, that associated editor job is like my dream job. And I actually have all the experience requested.

*polished up resume*

*prays to the Bomb Gods*

#100 Edited by liquidmatt (244 posts) -

Goddamnit. The commute is a 'little' too far to do every day, but if you decide to start up a Giant Bomb UK wing please give me a call!

I feel like there are more than enough Brits moaning about not living in SF in this thread to make a sardonic, dry-humoured GB totally a thing.