Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#101  Edited By nightriff

Justin McElroy please, would be a perfect fit

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By DeadpanCakes

@flacracker: That...is amazing. So much effort was clearly put into this. Quite possibly more effort than I've put forth in my entire life.

fatwaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope Chris Antista (formerly of gamesradar) applies. He would be a perfect addition to the crew.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The new Associate Producer must be prepared to be the whipping boy of every comments section for at least the first 6-12 months.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

@turboman said:

@pottsynz: Dear God, please don't equate it to that. They've been talking about hiring new people since they got into CBSi, and I'm guessing this is the first(?) step in doing that.

If people get the mindset that this guy is going to replace Ryan, he/she is doomed from the start. More like somebody being able to getting into covering video games for a living and getting an awesome place to start.

Even when he was alive NO ONE could replace Ryan.

I'm going to apply a little later. I know that I don't have a shot, but I'll try anyway.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@theht said:

@wrighteous86: Holy shit dude! Congrats to the both of you!

Thanks man. It's really recent. We're sending in a mailbag to "announce" it. Really stoked. It's crazy what the internet can do these days.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As soon as Giant Bomb Canada opens I'm there, until then I will just lurk in the forums, waiting...

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

@rorie I do have one question regarding cover letters on the resume page:

Are you (or the GB crew) the ones talent scouting this, or is it going through CBS? I only ask because I imagine the tone of the cover letter will vary depending on who we are addressing.

Thanks!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By fattony12000
ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker: I love everything about that, right down to the wall of text format.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By PatchMaster
No Caption Provided

Oh snap, fresh meat.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would love to apply, but I doubt you are looking for a 20 y/o undergrad Sociology major. Best of luck to you better off duders!

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Is it just me or is it weird that the editor job it up for grabs like that? ... I would have imagined that they have someone in mind they want for a spot like that.

There are lots of legal reasons that hiring requirements have to be generic and applicable to many people. California law can be particular about this sometimes. (I don't know how this works in other parts of the country or world, though) It can be illegal to give a position to a certain person without first seeing if there are other similarly qualified applicants and giving them a shot at the spot too. In fact, I think it might be possible to sue on that basis (if such a thing were somehow provable). So posting the job this way not only covers their ass legally speaking, but who knows what can happen? Maybe someone awesome they haven't thought of yet will apply. The big drawback, of course, is that you are sure to get TONS of under-qualified applicants (this appears to be true for just about every job these days, I'm sure a GB position is no different and with these low requirements probably much worse) who will waste the time of the people who have to read their applications and resumés. You win some, you lose some. (Source: I know people who work in HR for a big company: ~5k employees)

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Awesome! I would apply if I put my writing skills to use and had some camera experience. And didn't live in New York. And man would it be awesome to work at Giantbomb. And I'm saying and a lot on purpose because and video games and and and and.

T0FFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might actually apply. Being from Sweden I could at least supply the office with a buttload of surströmming and Djungelvrål!

Tom_Scherschel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I would love to see Giant Bomb bring a woman into the mix. Nothing wrong with the crew as is but if you're going to expand it would be nice to get a distinctly different perspective.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I have one question. Does Giant Bomb have a Style Guide, or is it looser than that?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hire me. I will be your official Hatsune Miku correspondent. I will also carry the burden official anime editor and Pro wrestling scholar.

I've felt a strong absence of official Hatsune Miku correspondents in the games journalism industry. I think you're a shoe-in

Rolkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I applied because i thought it'd be funny.

after the application process it was no longer funny

why did I do this

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's the sound of 1000 duders polishing their resume

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker: 5/5, would read again.

Though actually putting together a conclusion where you restate your...qualifications is perhaps a little too well thought out. I feel like the character you're portraying would never have the presence of mind to reiterate his desirable qualities at the end. I feel like he'd just make a terrible inside joke or a totally inappropriate drug reference, and then the comminiqué would just end abruptly. Also could've used more references to how you'd be interested in hanging out with Jeff and Vinny all the time outside of work and you would be interested in spearheading a new Endurance Run.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By rorie

@theuselessgod: The HR people will likely filter down the pool to what they feel would be appropriate to pass along to the editors, removing any that are overtly poorly done (lots of misspellings or clearly from a 15-year-old). But then they'll go to the editors. So kinda both, I think!

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would apply if it didn't mean setting foot in California. That'll never happen.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@viciousbearmauling: I would give anything to record a quick look of Project Diva F 2nd with Jeff. Seriously though I do hope they get someone who has a larger affinity for that kind of stuff and can better articulate everything japan. I do feel that is still a section of GB with no actual coverage.

Patrick has dipped his toe in little bit with Visual Novels but I still feel most times if its a JRPG or weird quirky Japanese game most likely its going to be a less than informative quick look.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Good luck to all applicants, but really I'm just happy that Vinny and Drew are getting some help!

guppy507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By guppy507

@sithtoast said:

@revpeters: I've noticed a lot of places don't even require a degree now. It's pretty insane.

Oh also, I'm done with school after this summer if something doesn't flub up, so I don't meet that requirement either :(

Same. I was just formally awarded my BS in computer science today. I'm a PHP/Javascript developer too, so I fit the bill. Wish this was a thing a year ago lol.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie pick me! i have been plaing video games sense i was born. my favorite video game of all time is call of duty modurn warfare 2. I loved coming home from school and playing that game for hours with my freinds on xbox live. my favorite map was the rust map. All of the newer call of duty games have been great too but i have so much knowstallga for modern warfar 2. Another favorite video game series of mine is mass effect. I love being a total bad guy in those games and being mean to everone. I promise i am not like that in real life though. all of my friends thing i am very very funny. I make them laugh all the time when we hang out. I think i would be very good in front of the camera. Giantbomb is a very funny site. Patrick though he is not funny and he is so lame. he always is talking about gay people and those people are weird and he wants them to be in games. I know jeff would agree with me about those people should not be in games. video games are suposed to be fun not about being politic and stuff. but talking about games again my first game consle was the ps2. When i turn 11 i got the xbox 360 and that has become my favorite. So you can see i have a long history with games. I know a lot about video games and what makes them good. i have written many game reviws for my school newspaper. I would say my biggest accomplishment though is writing my own mass effect fiction because i love that world so much. i just wish it had multiplayer like call of duty and had the gun in front of the screen and not like with a camera behind the dude. so here is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. When commander Shepard was just a little boy he loved to play in front of his house on the planet Scion. Scion is a small planet off in the edge of the galaxy. One day he was playing tag. He was playing tag with his friend Ashley. His mother had called him over to give them both capri suns to drink. It was very hot outide. then when they were finnished with their capri sun the reapers attack. A qucik burst of laser energy went bursting through their house. It hit his mother dead on and she was instantly turned to dust.. Shepard was very lucky that he didn not get hit by the blast or else he would have been turned to dust. But there was a gas tank near them that was hit by the beam. This gas tank exploded and setn shepard and Ashely flying into the air. The blast gave them extreem amneesha. He woke from his comma to find a military commander by his side. The military commander said to him that some bandits must have attack his planet but the military came to late to capture them. But it wasnt really bandits that attack the planet it was really the reapers but now because of the amneesha shepard doesnt know it and he doesnt remember Ashley either. There it is that is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. As you can see it has lots of great twists and i really connected the story to the games. I would say that I am a descent writer. I got a score of 10 on my sat writing so I am pretty good. all of my friends got a 8 or below. I know i am no jk rowling or anything but I have some good writing skills and I can only get better. In conclusion i have been playing video games all my life and i am very interested in them and i know a lot about them. Secondly all of my friends think i am very funny and i just know i would be great on camera. and Third i have lots of expeerience in writing and I am pretty good. But lastly but not least I love giant bomb alot. I visit this website almost as often as I visit facebook. Lol maybe not that much. But I do love giant bomb a lot except for patrick but I guess he is still a cool guy. But if I am in the office i wouldnt have to see him becuase he is in Chicago so it is fine. I know i am still young. I will be graduation from my high school in just a few weeks so I am ready to get a job. Giantbomb is the best site in the world and i want to work there so badly. Hopefully you cna look past my age and see me for who I am and you will hire me. Thanks!

You really could have topped it off with

"I'll even hook you up with the guy that sells me pot in my school's locker room" or a clever "That's what she said"

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayeth said:

@2headedninja said:

Is it just me or is it weird that the editor job it up for grabs like that? ... I would have imagined that they have someone in mind they want for a spot like that.

There are lots of legal reasons that hiring requirements have to be generic and applicable to many people. California law can be particular about this sometimes. (I don't know how this works in other parts of the country or world, though) It can be illegal to give a position to a certain person without first seeing if there are other similarly qualified applicants and giving them a shot at the spot too. In fact, I think it might be possible to sue on that basis (if such a thing were somehow provable). So posting the job this way not only covers their ass legally speaking, but who knows what can happen? Maybe someone awesome they haven't thought of yet will apply. The big drawback, of course, is that you are sure to get TONS of under-qualified applicants (this appears to be true for just about every job these days, I'm sure a GB position is no different and with these low requirements probably much worse) who will waste the time of the people who have to read their applications and resumés. You win some, you lose some. (Source: I know people who work in HR for a big company: ~5k employees)

Makes sense ... thanks for the info :)

pottsynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By pottsynz

It's pretty obvious Jeff is stretched thin as far as video/podcast hosting goes and that's something that used to be shared by someone equally as capable...hence I'm surprised they're looking outside...just steal Danny.. :)

@turboman said:

@pottsynz: Dear God, please don't equate it to that. They've been talking about hiring new people since they got into CBSi, and I'm guessing this is the first(?) step in doing that.

If people get the mindset that this guy is going to replace Ryan, he/she is doomed from the start. More like somebody being able to getting into covering video games for a living and getting an awesome place to start.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By AlKusanagi

@rorie Would someone on the East Coast have a shot, or are they pretty sure they could find someone locally? Something like this would be akin to a dream job, and justify a lifetime of gaming, a wasted English degree, and 10 years living in Japan, but alas I'm too poor to afford to fly out there to interview.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi: When I applied at GameSpot, they flew me out for the interview and paid for it, and I'm sure it'd be the same situation here for late-stage candidates.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By flasaltine

@bisonhero said:

Though actually putting together a conclusion where you restate your...qualifications is perhaps a little too well thought out. I feel like the character you're portraying would never have the presence of mind to reiterate his desirable qualities at the end. I feel like he'd just make a terrible inside joke or a totally inappropriate drug reference, and then the comminiqué would just end abruptly. Also could've used more references to how you'd be interested in hanging out with Jeff and Vinny all the time outside of work and you would be interested in spearheading a new Endurance Run.

Well my character wouldn't be the kind of person to make drug references. He is a nerd that writes Mass Effect fan fiction while still being enough of a "bro" to enjoy Call of Duty and hang out a lot with friends. He also learned in school that the best way to end and essay is with "In conclusion," and restate everything you just said so he did that here too. I agree with your last point but I unfortunately didn't think about that.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#134  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Fingers crossed for Al Yankovic, Assistant Editor.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Well, that's probably my biggest hope too. It would be great to actually have an "Official Anime Editor" because this this site is pretty quick too brush off most Japanese releases.

Still waiting on the Jojo:BAASB Quicklook......

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
  • Experience developing software with Java, Python, or PHP.

So no real programming languages then.

@mrpibb is actually a closet Ruby fanatic.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By SSully

@rorie: seeing some written code from the person makes more sense than a GPA requirement.

bad habits formed in class can get you a 3.0 but be bad for an actual job.

Places don't usually hire someone just because they have a good GPA. If you have a great GPA but obviously don't know what you are talking about in an interview or have trouble during a coding exam then you most likely will be identified as an improper fit for the job.

Also pretty much everyone I've met that has complained about GPA or transcript requests in job offers usually have a piss poor academic career.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker said:

@bisonhero said:

Well my character wouldn't be the kind of person to make drug references. He is a nerd that writes Mass Effect fan fiction while still being enough of a "bro" to enjoy Call of Duty and hang out a lot with friends. He also learned in school that the best way to end and essay is with "In conclusion," and restate everything you just said so he did that here too. I agree with your last point but I unfortunately didn't think about that.

OK, fair points, I didn't realize your character was the type to actually pay attention to the oversimplified structural advice in high school English class. I figured him for more of a "just wing it and start writing fan fiction while never thinking that he should look up some basic writing conventions first because obviously he's a natural" sort of guy.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesoutherndandy:

Same here. Us Canadians should start our own, competing Giant Bomb. It would basically the same thing, but with more Maple Syrup eh?

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit! I knew this Chemistry Doctorate was useless!

SithToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guppy507 said:

@sithtoast said:

@revpeters: I've noticed a lot of places don't even require a degree now. It's pretty insane.

Oh also, I'm done with school after this summer if something doesn't flub up, so I don't meet that requirement either :(

Same. I was just formally awarded my BS in computer science today. I'm a PHP/Javascript developer too, so I fit the bill. Wish this was a thing a year ago lol.

@guppy507: Congratulations, duder!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#142 chaser324  Moderator

Fingers crossed for Al Yankovic, Assistant Editor.

Bring on the polka and food puns!

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live halfway down the shaft of America's sweaty penis, nearly three thousand miles away. :\

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's the sound of 1000 duders polishing their resume

And their knobs. Heyo!

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I'm a structural engineer, that's the same thing as an editor right?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'd apply... if I was in any way qualified or wanted to move to San Francisco.

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Whelp, I applied. I'm not exactly a tour-de-force in the community here (I prefer to lurk and write reviews), but here's hoping!

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

I would like to join the "bah! I live in the UK" brigade. That Associate Editor role is basically my dream job.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By lun49gameon

@tom_scherschel: I totally agree with what you say. Adding a woman in the mix would be nice, and its always good to learn and listen from different type of people. Many people want Giantbomb to hire Danny from Gamespot or Jeff Green or others in the industry.These are very nice people that I think would fit well with Giantbomb, but I believe It is time for the new blood to rise. New people that can learn from the vinny, jeff, brad and the others.

SithToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

@revpeters said:

@rorie: seeing some written code from the person makes more sense than a GPA requirement.

bad habits formed in class can get you a 3.0 but be bad for an actual job.

Places don't usually hire someone just because they have a good GPA. If you have a great GPA but obviously don't know what you are talking about in an interview or have trouble during a coding exam then you most likely will be identified as an improper fit for the job.

Also pretty much everyone I've met that has complained about GPA or transcript requests in job offers usually have a piss poor academic career.

@ssully: Yeah, I'll admit that my college career could have been a lot better than it has been. However, I don't think my mind would change if I did meet that requirement though. I have met a bunch of people like myself who are smart, but don't really like school.