This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by CaLe (4799 posts) -

I'd have assumed a site like Giant Bomb would just headhunt the people they want. I guess they are pretty specific roles to be filled though, especially the being in front of a camera stuff. I could never do a job that required being on camera.

#152 Posted by Y2Ken (2953 posts) -

I'm excited to see what comes of this. Giant Bomb is in a fantastic position where I'd imagine that there are plenty of more-than-worthy candidates who would love to take on these roles.

Plus as much as I still enjoy everyone on this site, it'll be fun to have things mixed up a touch with some new faces. Having GS guys like Danny and Peter pop in has been really neat lately.

#153 Edited by Justin258 (15661 posts) -

@rorie: I'm an English major and I am in my final exam week. My graduation ceremony is on the 17th. What date do you think the interview would be around, in case I happen to get lucky? I'm in North Carolina, so getting to San Francisco is reasonably possible but not trivial.

#154 Posted by Abendlaender (3077 posts) -

My mom says I'm a really cool and funny guy. So fingers crossed for me!

#155 Posted by tourgen (4568 posts) -

Comfortable on camera? Excellent writing? Interesting ideas about games? nope nope, and nope. Good luck!

#156 Posted by Stimpack (1004 posts) -

This is scary. I hope they don't hire horrible people.

Avatar image for defectivenaruto
#157 Posted by Defectivenaruto (2 posts) -

:( was hoping for something that needed help with art on the site. Oh wells.

#158 Edited by dr_monocle (391 posts) -

Awww I would apply so hard for Associate Editor if I had more than a writing degree to my name and didn't live on the east coast. This is THE dream. A dreamer's dream.

I hate you, New Jersey.

#159 Posted by Rorie (5786 posts) -

@believer258: I don't really know, but I'm sure it'll be at least a week or two before serious interviews start. Could be wrong, though!

Staff
#160 Posted by fresh2deafbill (929 posts) -

Hopefully the people they hire flame out in 2 years so I can apply after I finish at my J-school

#161 Posted by futurstock (206 posts) -

sounds awesome! can't wait to see the new hi'res? hires? on camera, im sure good times will be had by all.

#162 Posted by OldGuy (1687 posts) -

@believer258: So, if it's like any "real world" place on the planet (and, being that it's CBS, which is a big corporation, it is) it's going to be at least two weeks (but more likely a month) before the posting closes (though it is interesting that they don't have a close date that I saw on the job posting page - but, I must admit, that I only skimmed it) so you're in the clear as they're unlikely in the extreme to start interviews before you're done with your exams and graduation.

I'd apply (as I think I've got good opinions without being a total bozo, I love to yammer about things and stuff and I can write a bit better than the average bear) but I've got two big issues. 1) as you've seen, I have a tendency to digress when writing (I've been known to dig my asides so deep that I run out of bracket types to set them off [this can be {can be? No IS} very distracting to a reader -- and I would require a lot of work on the part of the editor {I'm going to go with that not flying all that well}]) and 2) I might present well on camera and they have a EOOE blurb right there on the requirements, but me having my face 3-5 inches from the screen to be able to play games is NOT good video.... Soooooo, no for me but yes, you should go for it.

...I also find it interesting that many see to think this is a dream job but are completely unwilling to move to SF for the job...

#163 Posted by stackboy (752 posts) -

Why are internationals thinking they don't have a shot? If you really want it, fly there. I'm thinking about it. All the way from Australia.

#164 Edited by huser (1422 posts) -

Dammit! I knew this Chemistry Doctorate was useless!

Not to restart that science beef (which I would have predicted would go the biology<chemistry<physics<math<engineer<biology route), but they could use a staff scientist. Not to be a know it all, but at least Jeff could use a chemist to spruce up lame fireworks...

@viciousbearmauling said:

@demoskinos: Well, that's probably my biggest hope too. It would be great to actually have an "Official Anime Editor" because this this site is pretty quick too brush off most Japanese releases.

Still waiting on the Jojo:BAASB Quicklook......

Man listening to that old TGS series of Bombcasts...not overtly hostile or anything (well except to Monster Hunter fans), but yeah...

#165 Edited by excast (1384 posts) -

I'm glad you guys are finally going to be getting some new folks in the office. It's been rough over the last year or so with everything that has gone down. Members of the team should be able to go on a vacation once in awhile without it seeming like the whole system grinds to a halt.

And hopefully another producer means even more of Vinny on camera doing what he does best. Making inappropriate and casually racist jokes.

#166 Posted by dwigtk (364 posts) -

If I wasn't a Canadian resident I would be applying in a heartbeat, unfortunately I am not legally allowed to work in the USA, oh well. Good luck guys.

#167 Posted by mlarrabee (3917 posts) -

I'd gladly get yelled at for eating over the greenscreen and for bringing the wrong sandwiches during the BLLSL. Too bad my adeptness in the other required skills is lacking.

@stackboy said:

Why are internationals thinking they don't have a shot? If you really want it, fly there. I'm thinking about it. All the way from Australia.

Really! I happen to know that there's an Irishman working at Gamespot...

#168 Posted by Aetheldod (3914 posts) -

Good luck to the duders/duderettes that nails the jobs :D ... I wont apply because well Im from Mexico ,altho I did study film making so I could try for Associate Producer , but dont have much experience :/

#169 Posted by DonChipotle (3521 posts) -

Well, I totally applied. Figured I'd give it a shot because I am real certain that GiantBomb is looking for dudes that write too much about underrated Japanese action games. Best of luck to all other applicants!

#170 Edited by mtfikhan (513 posts) -

Good luck guys. I wish I had any experience that you guys have put down but law school graduate is not on the list. Looking forward to some new faces.

#171 Edited by mrpibb (480 posts) -

@sithtoast: @ssully: @revpeters : that's just a general requirement in the job listing for the HR website as otherwise I would get innundated by resumes for people who don't have CS backgrounds (for reference, I was pre-med with a CS minor many moons back). If you think you fit a mold for an intern who wants to help the site, pass your resume and code snippets over. I'm bypassing HR completely (hence the email) so all you really need to do is impress me and the team.

#172 Posted by barberforce (176 posts) -

Let the mass exodus from Gamespot begin!

#173 Posted by mrpibb (480 posts) -

@dwigtk: we've dealt with immigration before and Canadians are pretty 'simple' to get permits for (@jslack was/is Canadian).

#174 Posted by Baltimore (391 posts) -

God speed Duders.

#175 Posted by gnomeonfire (1124 posts) -

>Livestream interviews.

>Let the community decide who gets hired.

What's the worst that could happen?

#176 Edited by mrpibb (480 posts) -
#177 Posted by toowalrus (13404 posts) -

This is the part where Sammy Hagar comes in to save the day.

#178 Posted by supermonkey122 (1230 posts) -

I would apply, but I live across the country and don't meet any of the requirements. Also I'm 16...lol.

#179 Edited by bacongames (4008 posts) -

The thought of a community member who I happen not to like or feel isn't a good fit from past interaction getting hired is disconcerting to say the least. I don't think that will really happen but the mind refuses to stay put sometimes. Personally I think it's nuts that one would want anyone from the forum community at the moment but that's me. The quality and desirability of the position all but guarantees someone killer is going to land the editor and production job.

And hopefully not a white guy maybe!

#180 Posted by Loki (50 posts) -

@rorie Do you happen to know what date applications close?

#181 Edited by kishinfoulux (3328 posts) -

oh thank fucking god. NEW. BLOOD. NEW. BLOOD. NEW. BLOOD. NEW. BLOOD.

#182 Posted by unequivocable (243 posts) -

This is excellent news! I'm excited to see what all the vague plans are that Jeff talks about wanting to do if they had more staff.

#183 Posted by me3639 (2006 posts) -

I dont play or hire favorites, but yea someone of the opposite sex would bring some much needed diversity to the crew. And these ladies dont just talk a good game, they actually play them. Oh yea, they pretty much all have those qualifications(listed) and then some.

Please rescue my girl NikoleZ who went toe-toe with 2 of the best in the business PK, and Adam Sessler and deserves more than just being a community mgr. / part time everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b04vYsw_TXk&list=UUabk29SwNg_Ekd4uUtnwCdg

If that doesnt work out try these below who i would hire in a minute. They play games Jerry, GAMES!

http://www.youtube.com/user/sophiebreca

http://www.youtube.com/user/WTFSexyHeadphones

My main requirement PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC

I dont think i could handle another person who cant walk without tripping over their nostalgia.

#184 Edited by Justin258 (15661 posts) -

@oldguy said:

@believer258: So, if it's like any "real world" place on the planet (and, being that it's CBS, which is a big corporation, it is) it's going to be at least two weeks (but more likely a month) before the posting closes (though it is interesting that they don't have a close date that I saw on the job posting page - but, I must admit, that I only skimmed it) so you're in the clear as they're unlikely in the extreme to start interviews before you're done with your exams and graduation.

I'd apply (as I think I've got good opinions without being a total bozo, I love to yammer about things and stuff and I can write a bit better than the average bear) but I've got two big issues. 1) as you've seen, I have a tendency to digress when writing (I've been known to dig my asides so deep that I run out of bracket types to set them off [this can be {can be? No IS} very distracting to a reader -- and I would require a lot of work on the part of the editor {I'm going to go with that not flying all that well}]) and 2) I might present well on camera and they have a EOOE blurb right there on the requirements, but me having my face 3-5 inches from the screen to be able to play games is NOT good video.... Soooooo, no for me but yes, you should go for it.

...I also find it interesting that many see to think this is a dream job but are completely unwilling to move to SF for the job...

Thanks!

Also, college graduate? English major? Little hope for a decent job right after graduation? You bet your ass I'd hightail it from one-step-above-bumfuck-Egypt NC to San Francisco for a job like this.

#185 Posted by dezvous (660 posts) -

@rorie: Hey Matt, I had actually been following openings through the CBS-I website and noticed the openings go up on Friday. I submitted my application late last night but I don't think it worked properly and it may have omitted some important information. I was wondering if you might be able to help me out or at least verify what got through. Please private message me if you have the time, I feel like if I sent you one it would be lost in the inevitable flood that you guys must receive.

Thanks!

James

#186 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (759 posts) -

But I do love giant bomb a lot except for patrick but I guess he is still a cool guy. But if I am in the office i wouldnt have to see him becuase he is in Chicago so it is fine.

This is where I lost it. Best thing on Giant Bomb. Best thing ever.

#187 Edited by csl316 (14968 posts) -

Being an Ass. Editor would be a whole lot of fun. Hopefully they find someone awesome.

#188 Edited by Mento (4265 posts) -

I suspect the Editor and Producer positions are already spoken for (or at the very least already have a shortlist of big names) but I hope a duder becomes the new intern.

I'm obviously happy for new staff members, but also pretty happy that someone from this community has an opportunity to get a leg up in the industry by interning there, even if it might mean suffering a few ignominies at the hands of the Bomb Crew. (More likely you'll be the guy who keeps getting blamed for chat being broken.)

#189 Posted by mrfluke (6101 posts) -

gonna tag @epicsteve and @hamst3r, as these are my frontrunners for people id like to see from the forums on GB.

#190 Edited by guppy507 (49 posts) -

@guppy507 said:

@sithtoast said:

@revpeters: I've noticed a lot of places don't even require a degree now. It's pretty insane.

Oh also, I'm done with school after this summer if something doesn't flub up, so I don't meet that requirement either :(

Same. I was just formally awarded my BS in computer science today. I'm a PHP/Javascript developer too, so I fit the bill. Wish this was a thing a year ago lol.

Congratulations, duder!

Thanks, feels fucking gooooood. You haven't got long yourself, good luck with your last couple classes. Don't do what I did and nearly fail your easiest class due to lack of effort lol.

Now all I have to do is find permanent work. My current job is great experience, but it's a student job. Need more dollars.

#191 Edited by gnomeonfire (1124 posts) -

You know what this site could use? An experienced 3D artist who also has experience doing video editing. Somebody whose writing skills are rivaled only by their love for ding-dong's and nacho's perhaps. I've no idea where you might find such a person, but that would be one hell of a catch, just saying.

#192 Edited by GooieGreen (466 posts) -

Good luck to everyone that is applying along with me!

#193 Edited by wintermute (437 posts) -

@lordandrew: None of those languages contain the words "visual" or "basic" in the name. Therefore they are all real programming languages.

#194 Posted by Dentist (15 posts) -

@rorie, what is your take on foreign accents?

#196 Posted by RazielCuts (3290 posts) -

@guyver0 said:

If I didn't live in the UK I would be applying for that associate producer job in a fucking heartbeat.

You and me both, brother. Let's start up our own GB UK, like Gamespot UK, it worked out so well for them! Oh..

#197 Posted by BradBrains (2269 posts) -

Glad to hear will be getting more content on the site and also helping Jeff's stress.

If I had talent I'd totally apply

#198 Posted by Robopengy (616 posts) -

Does this mean a totally new duder for quick looks, bombcasts, and the like?

#199 Edited by iragequit (337 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#200 Edited by bacongames (4008 posts) -

Heart goes how to whoever has to sort through all the would be duders to get to the good ones. I wonder what the turnaround will be. Probably after E3 if I had to guess.