Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@rorie Should I avoid using the word "Fuck" in my cover letter? Basically my question is, how much on the up-and-up are the CBS HR people in terms of applying for a position that works on a project called "Unprofessional Fridays?"

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252  Edited By AngriGhandi

"A member of the podcast has started yelling about why your favorite game sucks, even though they totally gave it a four out of five, like, two years ago."

"A member of the podcast has just made an inappropriate comment about your home state/country's footwear practices."

"Brad is talking about brain parasites."

-WHAT DO YOU DO?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#253  Edited By Slag

@hailinel said:

@slag said:

Nice!

I can only imagine the insane number of applications you guys will receive. I always kind of assumed you guys would go headhunt who you wanted so it's pretty cool to see an open call like this.

It'd be pretty nuts to see someone out of the community get hired!

Headhunting can only do so much. And at the end of the day, I doubt it would substantially improve anything because it naturally leads into the already incestuous nature of the game journalism field, which largely sees more established figures move from one place to another more than it does allow for true new blood a chance.

Sure I get that.

I have friends in Television on the production side of things, so I guess I just kind of assumed they would do that way that it seems to go in their work places. It's pretty common practice in entertainment business on live shows where you need chemistry etc to recruit a list of candidates and hold tryouts privately. And I can understand why, personality meshes makes or breaks things like that.

e.g. It's not like The Late Show held open tryouts for Letterman's gig. Obviously that's a lot different position in terms stakes and scope, but anything personality driven that's a permanent position tends to be an invite thing from what I've been told.

Fwiw I'm glad they have an open call for the reason you mentioned (the only way to give diversity a fair shot), just very pleasantly surprised is all. Even if they end up hiring a known commodity they are giving themselves the chance to see what's out there beyond who they know.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am just waiting for the community to jump on the hate train with the new guys like the did with Patrick.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#255  Edited By Sackmanjones

Seems like they really are lookin for new people which is good for me. Been writing for a site voluntarily for a bit but don't think I can say where due to forum policy. I'm gonna toss up some stuff as blogs if you guys wanna check it out, I would love to hear some feedback from the community especially if I was graced with the opportunity to actually work with Giant Bomb! I think I am a pretty strong writer but certainly have room to improve but hey that's part of being new to something. Anyway, good luck to you all and to all a goodnight!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#256  Edited By YoThatLimp

@slag said:

Nice!

I can only imagine the insane number of applications you guys will receive. I always kind of assumed you guys would go headhunt who you wanted so it's pretty cool to see an open call like this.

It'd be pretty nuts to see someone out of the community get hired!

i think legally companies have to post the jobs publicly even if they know they have been filled. I am sure the editor position has already been filled.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#258 chaser324  Moderator

Totally going to send my resume to you, @mrpibb. I hope you're ready to hire your first 28 year old intern with a master's degree and work experience.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I hope you're ready to hire your first 28 year old intern with a master's degree and work experience.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a prevalent business strategy.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@negativecero said:

I am just waiting for the community to jump on the hate train with the new guys like the did with Patrick.

There's an unfortunate constant to each of these situations but I think depending on who it is, the character of that reaction will be perniciously different. For instance, if it's someone truly green and/or unknown versus an established voice in the industry can have a huge impact. Same goes for the position and their level of involvement on the site. Personality was a huge bonus but Patrick was one of the games industry's best newspeople and that's largely what made the hire so effective and welcome.

So I definitely feel for whoever gets put into the new position but as with any time this might happen, I and others have to renegotiate our reaction all over again. After all, I trust them but what would I really do if I truly didn't like the new hire? I would be respectful to the utmost but beyond that, how do I proceed? I'm so damn committed to this site I have no less than two signed posters from it hanging on my walls. It's a weird thing all around and the answer is up in the air each time, controlling for the aforementioned constant of negativity toward a new person and change in general.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I just finished sending out the resume. I'm not expecting a reply, but just knowing that it's out there does make me a little nervous.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@rorie You are not looking for part time foreign corespondents ?? :)

Hottest gaming news from China or something like that.

stormedcloud11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

so were going to make the new hires do an endurance run to break them in.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"A member of the podcast has started yelling about why your favorite game sucks, even though they totally gave it a four out of five, like, two years ago."

"A member of the podcast has just made an inappropriate comment about your home state/country's footwear practices."

"Brad is talking about brain parasites."

-WHAT DO YOU DO?

Turn on UVB-76. Slowly overhaul conversation into a personal finance podcast about how to survive as a freelance woodworker.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rorie pick me! i have been plaing video games sense i was born. my favorite video game of all time is call of duty modurn warfare 2. I loved coming home from school and playing that game for hours with my freinds on xbox live. my favorite map was the rust map. All of the newer call of duty games have been great too but i have so much knowstallga for modern warfar 2. Another favorite video game series of mine is mass effect. I love being a total bad guy in those games and being mean to everone. I promise i am not like that in real life though. all of my friends thing i am very very funny. I make them laugh all the time when we hang out. I think i would be very good in front of the camera. Giantbomb is a very funny site. Patrick though he is not funny and he is so lame. he always is talking about gay people and those people are weird and he wants them to be in games. I know jeff would agree with me about those people should not be in games. video games are suposed to be fun not about being politic and stuff. but talking about games again my first game consle was the ps2. When i turn 11 i got the xbox 360 and that has become my favorite. So you can see i have a long history with games. I know a lot about video games and what makes them good. i have written many game reviws for my school newspaper. I would say my biggest accomplishment though is writing my own mass effect fiction because i love that world so much. i just wish it had multiplayer like call of duty and had the gun in front of the screen and not like with a camera behind the dude. so here is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. When commander Shepard was just a little boy he loved to play in front of his house on the planet Scion. Scion is a small planet off in the edge of the galaxy. One day he was playing tag. He was playing tag with his friend Ashley. His mother had called him over to give them both capri suns to drink. It was very hot outide. then when they were finnished with their capri sun the reapers attack. A qucik burst of laser energy went bursting through their house. It hit his mother dead on and she was instantly turned to dust.. Shepard was very lucky that he didn not get hit by the blast or else he would have been turned to dust. But there was a gas tank near them that was hit by the beam. This gas tank exploded and setn shepard and Ashely flying into the air. The blast gave them extreem amneesha. He woke from his comma to find a military commander by his side. The military commander said to him that some bandits must have attack his planet but the military came to late to capture them. But it wasnt really bandits that attack the planet it was really the reapers but now because of the amneesha shepard doesnt know it and he doesnt remember Ashley either. There it is that is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. As you can see it has lots of great twists and i really connected the story to the games. I would say that I am a descent writer. I got a score of 10 on my sat writing so I am pretty good. all of my friends got a 8 or below. I know i am no jk rowling or anything but I have some good writing skills and I can only get better. In conclusion i have been playing video games all my life and i am very interested in them and i know a lot about them. Secondly all of my friends think i am very funny and i just know i would be great on camera. and Third i have lots of expeerience in writing and I am pretty good. But lastly but not least I love giant bomb alot. I visit this website almost as often as I visit facebook. Lol maybe not that much. But I do love giant bomb a lot except for patrick but I guess he is still a cool guy. But if I am in the office i wouldnt have to see him becuase he is in Chicago so it is fine. I know i am still young. I will be graduation from my high school in just a few weeks so I am ready to get a job. Giantbomb is the best site in the world and i want to work there so badly. Hopefully you cna look past my age and see me for who I am and you will hire me. Thanks!

"I just words"

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#266  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Totally going to apply to this job in the dumbest fashion possible. The last bit on the page "Previous journalism education/experience and a college degree are preferred but not necessarily required" is total bullshit unless you know someone; you can't have 10000 applicants and not have a screening process.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@red12b said:

@flacracker said:

@rorie pick me! i have been plaing video games sense i was born. my favorite video game of all time is call of duty modurn warfare 2. I loved coming home from school and playing that game for hours with my freinds on xbox live. my favorite map was the rust map. All of the newer call of duty games have been great too but i have so much knowstallga for modern warfar 2. Another favorite video game series of mine is mass effect. I love being a total bad guy in those games and being mean to everone. I promise i am not like that in real life though. all of my friends thing i am very very funny. I make them laugh all the time when we hang out. I think i would be very good in front of the camera. Giantbomb is a very funny site. Patrick though he is not funny and he is so lame. he always is talking about gay people and those people are weird and he wants them to be in games. I know jeff would agree with me about those people should not be in games. video games are suposed to be fun not about being politic and stuff. but talking about games again my first game consle was the ps2. When i turn 11 i got the xbox 360 and that has become my favorite. So you can see i have a long history with games. I know a lot about video games and what makes them good. i have written many game reviws for my school newspaper. I would say my biggest accomplishment though is writing my own mass effect fiction because i love that world so much. i just wish it had multiplayer like call of duty and had the gun in front of the screen and not like with a camera behind the dude. so here is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. When commander Shepard was just a little boy he loved to play in front of his house on the planet Scion. Scion is a small planet off in the edge of the galaxy. One day he was playing tag. He was playing tag with his friend Ashley. His mother had called him over to give them both capri suns to drink. It was very hot outide. then when they were finnished with their capri sun the reapers attack. A qucik burst of laser energy went bursting through their house. It hit his mother dead on and she was instantly turned to dust.. Shepard was very lucky that he didn not get hit by the blast or else he would have been turned to dust. But there was a gas tank near them that was hit by the beam. This gas tank exploded and setn shepard and Ashely flying into the air. The blast gave them extreem amneesha. He woke from his comma to find a military commander by his side. The military commander said to him that some bandits must have attack his planet but the military came to late to capture them. But it wasnt really bandits that attack the planet it was really the reapers but now because of the amneesha shepard doesnt know it and he doesnt remember Ashley either. There it is that is the first paragraph of my mass effect fan fiction. As you can see it has lots of great twists and i really connected the story to the games. I would say that I am a descent writer. I got a score of 10 on my sat writing so I am pretty good. all of my friends got a 8 or below. I know i am no jk rowling or anything but I have some good writing skills and I can only get better. In conclusion i have been playing video games all my life and i am very interested in them and i know a lot about them. Secondly all of my friends think i am very funny and i just know i would be great on camera. and Third i have lots of expeerience in writing and I am pretty good. But lastly but not least I love giant bomb alot. I visit this website almost as often as I visit facebook. Lol maybe not that much. But I do love giant bomb a lot except for patrick but I guess he is still a cool guy. But if I am in the office i wouldnt have to see him becuase he is in Chicago so it is fine. I know i am still young. I will be graduation from my high school in just a few weeks so I am ready to get a job. Giantbomb is the best site in the world and i want to work there so badly. Hopefully you cna look past my age and see me for who I am and you will hire me. Thanks!

"I just words"

I think I can see the Mickey Mouse symbol if I un focus my eyes like in those 3D Eye pictures.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@b0nd07 said:

I know I've probably got no chance, but it doesn't hurt to try.

@epicsteve said:

@rorie: Do you know if it'll be phone interviews or will I potentially be flying out?

I'd also like to know this.

I guess it really doesn't matter. I'll fly out.

Yeah.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#269  Edited By Vonocourt

That's cool, best of luck for anyone trying to apply. I'll probably just keep working at my minimum wage job and eventually fumble my way back into community college rather than waste anyone's time.

I constantly see posts in the forum that dwarf my understanding of games and ability of articulation and writing. So again, good luck to those dudes.

@fr0br0: That isn't a serious question is it?

demanrisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any chance that applicants from overseas would be considered? I'd like to apply but moving to San Francisco is, unfortunately, not an option. :(

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Coafi

Christ, you guys are going to get bombarded with applications. My sympathies to the poor HR person who has to deal with these.

UncleThursday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Application submitted.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#273  Edited By rorie

@b0nd07 said:
@epicsteve said:

@b0nd07 said:

I know I've probably got no chance, but it doesn't hurt to try.

@epicsteve said:

@rorie: Do you know if it'll be phone interviews or will I potentially be flying out?

I'd also like to know this.

I guess it really doesn't matter. I'll fly out.

Yeah.

I'd assume that there'd be both for any applicant that's seriously considered.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: When will the first round of calls be happening, instead of what I've been doing which is refreshing my e-mails?

No idea, sorry!

UncleThursday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last bit on the page "Previous journalism education/experience and a college degree are preferred but not necessarily required" is total bullshit unless you know someone; you can't have 10000 applicants and not have a screening process.

I would agree that it is most likely going to be part of the screening process to look for a journalism degree. Then again, when looking at the way some people write for some sites (and get paid for it) it's amazing that they even graduated high school.

I'm hoping my over a decade of experience in the games journalism sphere as a small press and independent writer/editor will help alleviate the fact that I don't have a degree; but I also have a feeling they'll really be looking for someone much younger who is far more willing to jump at the lowest possible offer.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Even if it's somebody who's been in the industry for years, the pressure of joining the GB staff must be pretty immense, just based on hearing other industry vets talking about being nervous about their first time on a podcast. Good luck to everybody, and here's to the community giving a warm welcome to these people.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By matatat

Damn you Giant Bomb for not being in Seattle and also not hiring full time developers.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By mrfluke

@believer258 said:

@video_game_king said:

On the one hand, I think it's totally crazy that you're outsourcing to the forums, like we're going to see @believer258 or @hailinel on the Bombcast. On the other hand, I'm going to apply for the position regardless and hope I strike lucky.

Thanks for tagging me! I'm also going to apply and pray.

ooh, yea these 2 have my vote as well as Hamster and epicsteve, ill tag in @jasonr86 and @toowalrus as well for my vote. oh and @truthtellah

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By GIyn
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#280  Edited By bacongames

This thread is going to be on the front page forever isn't it.

UncleThursday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pottsynz said:

Isn't the associate editor job effectively Ryan's spot finally getting filled? :\

Not likely. Associate editors are generally the lowest man on the totem pole when it comes to positions at publications, just above interns. They get paid, but they get very little say it what they have to write and get practically no say in what gets handed to them to review.

Ryan was much higher on the totem pole.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What If peoples looks can't compete with all the handsomeness that currently resides at GB?

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just poach O'Dwyer for the dream team.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I would love if they hire an "Official Anime and Manga Editor." That's unlikely to happen but still.

Dentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm afraid some wagons of that Patrick train are still in town.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dezvous: Unfortunately I don't really have any way to see what resumes are coming in, and I don't know who runs the careers site. You may just want to try submitting again with a note about how it didn't work right the first time? You may want to try getting in touch with recruitmentoperations@cbs.com.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By rorie

@loki said:

@rorie Do you happen to know what date applications close?

Nope, but I doubt it will happen before a week or two.

CenCen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By CenCen123

@lordandrew said:

@rorie said:
  • Experience developing software with Java, Python, or PHP.

So no real programming languages then.

No Caption Provided

Why would a website need something else?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@unclethursday: Well, I for one have a degree and no experience; we can band together in futility.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vonocourt: I've never been more serious about the questioning of using the word "fuck"!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fr0br0: It's probably not the best idea to include it.

Dentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fr0br0: I ain't no HR person, but I would refrain to use words such as ''fuck'' in a cover letter, whatever the context may be.

OleMarthin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By OleMarthin

I would like for them to hire someone who has worked with game development for a long time, get some inside information an a different background than the rest could be good.

Dentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Dentist

Enough goofin' off! I'm going deer hunting and you're going down Giant Bomb.ru! I'm applying, so watch your back 'cause I got shivs all up my flip flops.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By fr0br0

@dentist: Ah fu- shoot :( Keeping it professional then.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My only wish for who they hire is someone who can add a little energy to things.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coafi said:

Christ, you guys are going to get bombarded with applications. My sympathies to the poor HR person who has to deal with these.

Rorie :(

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By TruthTellah

Alright, alright. If you insist, I'll come join the Bomb Squad! http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/92448/2605824-2572336-1121187965-25033.png

Just send over your offer and uh... oh...

You're not hiring artists?

I... I see...

Well then...

I'm just gonna uh...

No Caption Provided

sagebirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck to those involved. I'm sure we won't instantly hate you............

;)

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck y'all!