Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Yay, new people! This is going to be great :) I still want Kessler back...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

robin_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Uk. - sigh

Keynwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By Keynwar

Well, after stalking the forums for a few years I guess this is as good a chance as any to use up my first post ;)

Does it make any sense for a European to apply? I know the Green Card-requirements in the US are pretty strict and it would be quite a lot of effort for CBS to make that happen.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I would assume anyone that doesn't already have a few years behind them in the "industry" won't actually be considered at all. So the question then becomes, what "mid-tier" game journalists out there that would gladly abandon their current job has some good potential ? I guess there might be a few higher profiled peole who will apply as well, but I doubt we'll see anyone from any major website. Anxiously I'm looking at the YT crowd and fear that will probably be the majority of the pool they get to pick from.

Cloudunderfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone with a film industry background in post would probably land that AP job. Digital intermediary workflow experience seems to be what they're looking for in that position as well as knowhow with avid/premiere/fcp7. Its a bummer I cant apply right now =( I think im well overqualified and would kill to work at a cool site like this one. Oh well, one day ill get into the games industry. Good luck for whoever gets hired.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#307  Edited By Red12b

So ... My friend and I have submitted this,

To the Human Resources department of CBSi

Our names are Rene Beijer and Mathew Harvey and for the price of one you can have two!

Rene Beijer here, I am a 25 year old bartender living in good ol’ New Zealand, I am extremely confident in making a dick of myself, cameras be damned and can carry a decent conversation on video games, video game developers and the societal changes and impacts that video games and media have on popular culture, my favourite colour is purple and my favourite drink is the Espresso martini, apart from a single shot of espresso and 30 ml’s of a fine vodka I add 7.5 ml’s of Cointreau and Baileys with a dash of Crème de cacao, Kahlua and Frangelico for a decent chocolate hazelnut coffee hit with a nice orange finish,

I have followed the crew of Giant Bomb for the last 14 years, with their humour and zest for the “dumb” playing a significant role in my outlook on life, if I could distil the effect that the crew have had on me to a single word I’d wager it to be empowerment.

This is hella dumb and it probably shouldn’t see the light of day.

Matt here, I also suffer the disability of living in New Zealand. I’m a budding journalist, in my mind anyway. In reality I’m a recent Anthropology and Philosophy graduate who has a volunteer role writing stuff about motorsport. But I’m also a big video game nerd, I probably didn’t need to tell you that since I found my way to your site but I may as well remind you. Not only do I love games but I love the content people produce to celebrate them, everything from the humour of stuff like Rooster Teeth to the informative criticism of people like Errant Signal (and your excellent mix of both). Unfortunately I haven’t produced much videogame related stuff other than this, partly because I spend a lot of time consuming video games media rather than attempting to produce it, and I want that to change. I’m the words guy of us too by the way, partly because I spent three years writing essays at university and partly because Rene said so.

This is hella dumb and should probably at least land us volunteer roles of some sort.

#teamwork

We have also submitted a split resume, with mine on the left side and his on the right side

it's hella dumb

headshot2391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

someone new would be interesting, rhis could tke awhile though, GB is set in its ways too much to change

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#309  Edited By Soap

I'm throwing my hat in the ring, 3 years of game dev experience as well as some low level TV and Film couldn't hurt could it?

(... living currently in the UK could though)

nobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
  • Experience developing software with Java, Python, or PHP.

So no real programming languages then.

Discoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By Discoman

Is GBNY hiring?

kalnet101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to seeing new staffs for GB. =)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@mrfluke:

Thanks for considering me man. But I looked at the application and have no idea how to do internet stuff. I'm qualified to write but that's about it when it comes to this job.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mrfluke: Thanks for the nod, mrfluke!

I can just imagine it now...

Brad: "Dammit! This game sucks! It's not clear what you're supposed to do and the controls are terribbbllee!!"

Jeff: "Yeah, can't believe this shipped. Who developed this? Australians?"

Me: "uh... I can understand your frustration, but there is a reasonably-sized arrow to your destination right there. And you might want to go into the menu and look at the listed controls. It may help you acclimate to the controls."

Jeff: "Oh, oh, we could follow arrows or maaaaybe we could acclimate my foot up your ***!"

Brad: "Max doesn't count!"

Vinny: "Wait... what? Where did that come from?"

Brad: "Sorry, I don't know, I am so sorry..."

Me: "....."

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

This is misery.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#316  Edited By saddlebrown

Hey, this thread really blew up and I don't have time to read through it right now. Somebody mind filling me in on a couple things? What's the application deadline? There isn't one listed. Has anybody asked about relocation? I'm not really 100% concerned about getting relocation covered (though that would be awesome) but more about whether they're hiring people who would need to relocate. I assume they are since they posted it here without specifically saying "locals only" but I just want to check.

@rorie

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I admit that I don't read too many blogs on GB but I make sure to catch the one written by @video_game_king as often as I can. So if the dude can fill out the other requirements as well as the writing skill one he'd get my vote (not that that's worth anything). In that respect @truthtellah would probably be a fine choice as well. It would be weird and kind of awesome to see someone from the forums getting recruited. Anyway, good luck to all the applicants, new blood can only be a good thing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I think it'd be hilarious if after all this hype they end up hiring the two from youtube or another site -- someone who's already situated within the circle basically.

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Exciting! Hope to see the results of this soon.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be perfect for that AP video job, and would relocate to SF in a heartbeat. I have nearly 10 years of professional experience in audio/video and have worked as a video tech/AC/Editor at one of the largest production companies in NYC for the last 6 years. I don't envy the guys (Rorie and Vinny probably) that have to sift through the 10,000+ applicants looking for that same job. 1 job, 10,000 applicants. Not to mention the highly qualified folks already working in that building for that other game website. Sounds more like winning the lottery than starting a fun career. Then again, maybe those are one and the same these days.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My vote goes to Nick Rox.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@altairre said:

I admit that I don't read too many blogs on GB but I make sure to catch the one written by @video_game_king as often as I can. So if the dude can fill out the other requirements as well as the writing skill one he'd get my vote (not that that's worth anything).

First time somebody's recommended me in the thread.

UncleThursday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@unclethursday: Well, I for one have a degree and no experience; we can band together in futility.

My brother had that problem. College degree, but all the jobs wanted a degree plus experience in his field. But no one was hiring as 'entry level' without wanting 5+ years experience (which, last I checked, was not entry level). It's a problem you find with a lot o jobs. They want to pay as little as possible for 'entry level' positions, but don't want entry level people... they want people who already know what they're doing without having to pay them for that experience.

But, it's an employer's market right now, so they can get away with it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By GaspoweR

@video_game_king said:

@altairre said:

I admit that I don't read too many blogs on GB but I make sure to catch the one written by @video_game_king as often as I can. So if the dude can fill out the other requirements as well as the writing skill one he'd get my vote (not that that's worth anything).

First time somebody's recommended me in the thread.

Because everyone knows you too well to NOT RECOMMEND you in the first place. :D

:P :P :P :P :P :P

so many colon pee's.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I think it'd be hilarious if after all this hype they end up hiring the two from youtube or another site -- someone who's already situated within the circle basically.

this will be what happens but they have to go through the motions i suppose.

UncleThursday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

So I would assume anyone that doesn't already have a few years behind them in the "industry" won't actually be considered at all. So the question then becomes, what "mid-tier" game journalists out there that would gladly abandon their current job has some good potential ? I guess there might be a few higher profiled peole who will apply as well, but I doubt we'll see anyone from any major website. Anxiously I'm looking at the YT crowd and fear that will probably be the majority of the pool they get to pick from.

You have to remember, though, that some of the YT crowd do have experience outside of YT. Some of them worked for small press/enthusiast sites (often for free) before deciding to do their own thing on YouTube.

I've been putting my own stuff up on YT or the past few years, but I worked for a small press site (that is now defunct), did interviews, editorials, news and reviews, went to E3 a few times (for the PS3 pricing reveal press event I was 6th row, center stage, pretty much looking up Kaz's nose, for example), etc. while working for the site.

Granted, not all of them have experience, and it shows in how their reviews are written/done, but some do. So, don't discount everyone who puts up reviews on YT simply for that... but also don't just assume any Joe Blow from YT actually knows what they're doing, either.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I'd be highly surprised if they hire an editor that hasn't already been acclimated to having thousands of people on the internet criticizing them. Would you take the chance of hiring someone "fresh" and just hoping they'll be able to deal with it ?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By Yummylee

@ares42 said:

@yummylee said:

I'd be highly surprised if they hire an editor that hasn't already been acclimated to having thousands of people on the internet criticizing them. Would you take the chance of hiring someone "fresh" and just hoping they'll be able to deal with it ?

I would assume this hypothetical fresh-faced candidate is briefed during the interview that they may have to put up with abuse and/or criticism on the internet, as I'm sure many on GB would already be well aware anyway. Plus just because you have experience working in this 'field' doesn't necessarily mean you're accustomed to internet reactions. Patrick for example didn't receive nearly as much vitriol during his previous work as he has on GB, but he fortunately discovered that he's still able to take a lot of it in stride.

Obviously I'm sure they'd probably prefer someone with both the credentials and the experience across all facets of what work like this may entail, but still... if GB weren't considering hiring someone who doesn't have a lot of experience then they shouldn't have posted it to the forums. Otherwise it would almost come across as sorta cruel, to make a lot of the users on here get all wide-eyed and excited at the possibility of joining GB, when in reality they never even had a chance.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love all y'all, you're great, but I hope they hire someone who's been doing this awhile who can help pick up the slack on hosting duties. The idea of a "fresh" face sounds nice and all, but they're such a small team that taking a chance on someone entirely unproven (at least on camera) sounds like it could be rough for both the site and for the guy they hire.

Of course I'm just talking about the editorial position. Either way, good to see hires happening

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Where else would the post it to get the message out there ? The only other alternative that would be more effective would be to put it on the main page (which it sorta already is).

UncleThursday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They also sort of need to ensure that it looks like they're advertising the position. After all, how many people actively watch for positions on the CBSi jobs website? Even if for the editor position they already have someone in mind, by law they have to be able to show that the job posting was easily noticeable and accessible to any interested party.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exciting news! Wish I lived in SF and not London, otherwise I'd be on that Associate editor role like a shot! ... *holds out hope for GB UK one day...*

Good luck to anyone applying!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By Yummylee

@ares42: For starters it should be posted as its own main article, as that way it would look more 'official' and not quite as much as if they're specifically looking to the community, otherwise... I dunno, they could maybe actually inquire with whomever they have their eyes on. That is if again they're only eyeing people who have the experience anyway, as I would imagine there's not exactly a lot of them on GB's forums.

EDIT: Also thinking back, how did they advertise the internships? I'm pretty certain it at the very least wasn't via a forum post.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: well, it's all speculation ofc, but the way I see it I doubt they have anyone special in mind. If they had they could've just gone and hired them (like they did with Patrick). It seems to me like they're just generally looking for qualified candidates since they're actually going through the process of having an application process etc. And to that effect it's just all about getting the word out. They would never be able to reach out to any and all possible candidates on their own, so their best option is just word of mouth and having most people that pay attention to the site in some way eventually learn through second-hand information.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I was thinking. People are wanting someone who is younger, but after watching a bunch of Top Gear, I don't think that's really all that necessary. I believe it's more about the person, not necessarily their age.

Fat_Tomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By Fat_Tomato

@demoskinos:

But those were the positions I was going to fill!

MagikGimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just poach Danny Gamespot already. You know you, and he, want to.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#340  Edited By armaan8014

Ooo! New guy! Should be fun to see a new core member.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#341  Edited By wrighteous86

@unclethursday said:

They also sort of need to ensure that it looks like they're advertising the position. After all, how many people actively watch for positions on the CBSi jobs website? Even if for the editor position they already have someone in mind, by law they have to be able to show that the job posting was easily noticeable and accessible to any interested party.

I don't remember them doing this when they hired Patrick.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@unclethursday said:

Different times, different situation. That was in the whiskey media "hey let's hire all the cool people we know and start a bunch of websites" days.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey dudes, since the intern position is for the summer, I need to set a hard date on resumes / cover letters. Please send it in by end of day Wednesday, otherwise we won't have time to go through interviews and try to setup relocation, etc.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Does anyone know what the pay range is? This has "Dream Job" written all over it if the money is right.

I'd like to know too but I imagine its a DOE type thing, guessing 40-60k range.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrighteous86 said:

@unclethursday said:

Different times, different situation. That was in the whiskey media "hey let's hire all the cool people we know and start a bunch of websites" days.

There are no laws that forces private companies to publically list jobs. There might be union contracts, but I don't think GB is unionized...?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glacialhelmnun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hire Video_Game_King. He's the best columnist working on the site right now ( no disrespect to Patrick and Alex intended, they are also good).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By Fredchuckdave
Anglorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie So as someone who came in with previous game development experience, do you feel like it helped including that on your resume? Does that act as a boon to your application? Or is it better to focus completely journalism experience alone?

Thanks! I'm super excited to apply. I would be honored to contribute to your incredible website!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

So one job is Rorie understudy and the other is Vinny understudy?

This has very little to do with my position; I doubt I'll be involved in the interviews at all.