• 122 results
chrollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chrollo

Scott Sharkey former 1up staffer was let go from 1up yesterday. I personally think he would make a great giant bomb staff member. Thus I'm requesting Giant Bomb hire Scott Sharkey. Who's with me.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thehexeditor

I strangely found myself agreeing with Sharkey's positive review of Alpha Protocol. However I don't really like his demeanor and his chain smoking turns me off.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LiquidSwords

Nope.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By ReCkLeSs_X

He'd definitely be a distinct personality for the site.

But, honestly, no thanks.    

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Slab64

I'm a fan of his, but...I dunno. Maybe he could join Rebel FM instead.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Now I have no reason to visit anything 1up does anymore. There is JP but he has Gamespite. Man, I will follow what he does next.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By jkz
@Slab64 said:
" I'm a fan of his, but...I dunno. Maybe he could join Rebel FM instead. "
He seems like a perfect fit with those guys. Not that that's an actual job, but I feel like he'd fit in really damn well there.
Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slab64
@jukezypoo said:
" @Slab64 said:
He seems like a perfect fit with those guys. Not that that's an actual job, but I feel like he'd fit in really damn well there. "
Yeah, that's the problem with Rebel FM. It's a great podcast, but that's all it is...the website is a joke.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jkz
@Slab64 said:
" @jukezypoo said:
" @Slab64 said:
He seems like a perfect fit with those guys. Not that that's an actual job, but I feel like he'd fit in really damn well there. "
Yeah, that's the problem with Rebel FM. It's a great podcast, but that's all it is...the website is a joke. "
Well, the guys all work for other game sites, so its understandable that the website is basically  just a portal for the podcast.
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By SonicFire

No. He has a unique personality,but in no way would gel with the humor of the GB crew.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

Maybe he should get a job at Gamestop

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By unchained
 @SonicFire said:
" No. He has a unique personality,but in no way would gel with the humor of the GB crew. "
Yup. This right there. 
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin

I seriously doubt they're looking for another writer right now, and even if they were they wouldn't be taking requests from the forums.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Noodles
@jukezypoo said:
" @Slab64 said:
" @jukezypoo said:
" @Slab64 said:
Yeah, that's the problem with Rebel FM. It's a great podcast, but that's all it is...the website is a joke. "
Well, the guys all work for other game sites, so its understandable that the website is basically  just a portal for the podcast. "
Why would you got to eat-sleep-game other than to comment/leave questions for the podcast?
Avatar image for depressing_wizard
Depressing_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, why did Scott Sharkey get let go? I didn't expect that. But regardless, he should stay away from Giant Bomb. He just thinks he's so cool because he smokes and drinks. Just check out his Top 5 Free Sperm Games article, if you think he'd be a good fit for Giant Bomb.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By EVHKwick

Who? What? No.

Avatar image for depressing_wizard
Depressing_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually visited 1up for the first time in a while to check out what was going on. A lot of people have left that site for one reason or another, and I thought Scott's leave was just because of 1up's money issues. But when I looked at the site, there were no goodbye blogs, or anything. I checked a forum a user created and Sharkey is letting losse on his Twitter. Apparently, him and his co-workers didn't get along. I suppose that's what happens when you're a stuck-up asshole.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dany

When I did listen to 1Up they came off as pretentious A-holes who thought they knew the market and how things were going to happen. THey would make overarching generalizations about sales, games, the hardcore, the casuel and then yell at metacritic for not translating their score right.  

Anyways, don't remember this guy, don't know if he was on the podcasts or not but hopefully he gets a job at a place where he wants to be

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cnlmullen

Whiskey Media needs to stay small to stay self sufficient. I've read operating lean is a part of its business model.

Besides, there are a lot of other people I'd rather see in a new editorial position. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RE_Player1
@hack745 said:
" Who? What? No. "
pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pantzing_nome

Maybe he could get a job working for the new EGM.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dany
@cnlmullen said:
" Whiskey Media needs to stay small to stay self sufficient. I've read operating lean is a part of its business model. Besides, there are a lot of other people I'd rather see in a new editorial position.  "
Or they would need to change the function of their websites to be more editorial and then increase size
trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By trace

As someone who got to know Sharkey through City of Heroes and the Circle of Jerks, he's not nearly as much of an asshole as his writing would insinuate. He's just a chill guy with a grumpy side, in my opinion. I didn't read much of his 1up stuff once CoH waned because I didn't care for 1up as a site overall, but Sharkey's probably my favorite guy who writes about shit in video games. I think he'd fit in better on a site like this than most people (probably including Sharkey himself) assume.

I'd be thrilled if he was offered any sort of work for Giant Bomb or Whiskey, or appeared on the Bombcast to keep the whole "fired dudes as guests" train rolling.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
Manhattan_Project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god no.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

This was sad news. The Oddcast really needed him.

But he won't fit in on Giant Bomb. Really.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Vonocourt

That's a bummer, I liked him though I don't think his dry cynical view would exactly fit with the Whiskey Media's penchant for zaniness. Don't see why people are shitting on him, especially over a dumb reason like he smokes.

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By evildeadron
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mrnitropb

meh. guy irritates me only slightly less than Tina does.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cnlmullen
@evildeadron said:

"
If the GB crew were to hire anyone i would want it to be this person  

http://www.giantbomb.com/carrie-gouskos/72-34118/     "

I agree. I really miss her from the old Gamespot.  

Also, if GregK ever gets canned (impossible :-P ) there should be special spot waiting for him here.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FunExplosions
@evildeadron said:

"

Oh god no. I vote fuck that idea. 

And no, Sharkey wouldn't match the Bombcast crew, or the Giant Bomb feel in general. It's always going to stay with Jeff and Ryan as the authorities and the guys with the attitude. That's the way group things work. You can't have 5 people, with 3 people being stubborn and head strong. You need 2 headstrong people, to come up with the ideas and fight about them, then 2 other people to decide on who is right. Any more than that and you've got an impending mutiny on your hands. 

In case that fake philosophy lesson was too confusing, I'm saying no.
libidinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By libidinous

Jeez, I am very saddened by 1UP. I've been listening to all the old 1UP Yours catalog and that stuff was tremendous. He and Parish were the only dudes left. I agree with the sentiment of this thread in that there's some kind of weird desire to consolidate our likes. It'd be great if GB hired Chris Walken too, just get it closer to having all of my favorite people. But, in the end, I'll be disagreeing in that GB has what it has, I just hope Sharkey finds another solid place.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By StaticFalconar

No, hire Edward Rection and Ben Dover as the newest staff members. 

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chirag4

He's a jerk, I like him.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dany
@FunExplosions said:
" @evildeadron said:

"

Oh god no. I vote fuck that idea.  And no, Sharkey wouldn't match the Bombcast crew, or the Giant Bomb feel in general. It's always going to stay with Jeff and Ryan as the authorities and the guys with the attitude. That's the way group things work. You can't have 5 people, with 3 people being stubborn and head strong. You need 2 headstrong people, to come up with the ideas and fight about them, then 2 other people to decide on who is right. Any more than that and you've got an impending mutiny on your hands.  In case that fake philosophy lesson was too confusing, I'm saying no. "
Whats wrong with Carrie? Unless you're confusing her with Leigh Alexandohmygodshewasaterribleguester
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo

Hire him and George and start an underwater crime fighting agency.

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By norsedudetr

While I'm bummed Sharkey won't be on the Oddcast anymore, I also realize he's not a Giantbomb type of guy. It is interesting though, of all the writers/folks in the gaming journalism business that I've seen, he's the one of the most jekyll/hyde ones, which makes reading/listening to him fun. Hope he finds another job. Much like every other poor bastard who loses his job. 

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By evanbrau

How much longer can 1up feasibly last at this point?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MeierTheRed

Weak people can't handle Scott Sharkey and his opinions. Their tiny brains would just implode.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By meteora

Meh.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kazona

Please no. The dude could be funny at times on podcasts, but more often than not his negative, holier-than-thou, attitude totally made me want to slap him.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Castro

I absolutely love Scott Sharkey and I love the Giant Bomb crew. I'm not too sure that they would mesh well together, but he should definitely be on the Bombcast just to see how well he meshes with everyone else. I agree that he is on a completely different plane than the Giant Bomb crew, but it might be interesting to see how they react. Since he is so different from everyone else, I think that it might actually work out really well. Also, I'd like to hear him forced to read the DSiWare and WiiWare releases.

Regardless of whether or not he gets on the Bombcast, it's really upsetting to see him let go. The only great people left at 1Up are Jeremy Parish, Ray Barnholdt and Frank Cifialdi. It was a mega-bummer when they canned most of the staff and EGM. This is the first mega-bummer since then. Scott Sharkey is solid fucking gold.

IClavdivs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By IClavdivs

Sharkey is really into independent games. Giantbomb doesn't cover that scene as much as it might could. I think he'd fit well here as a writer, though I could see him and Jeff not getting along.

Personality-wise, he might fit better with the Screened guys.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho

You guys troll 1up like you think it'll gain you stock here. The staff aren't as infantile as you.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mikemcn

When Co-op ended, i realized most former 1 Up staffers were actually pretentious douche bags (Im looking at you O'Donnell)

So no......

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46  Edited By SpudBug

This is a bad choice.

IClavdivs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IClavdivs
@Mikemcn:  It's probably hard to not be somewhat of a pretentious douchebag when you're internet famous.
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Insectecutor

He should make his own video game website with blackjack and hookers.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By RagingLion

I like some of who Scott Sharkey is, if not the whole package for every day and I wouldn't mind seeing him stop by the Bombcast for an episode as is the rite of passage for all fired games journos.  Hearing him read the WiiWare and DSiWare would indeed be cool but anything more isn't going to happen.

Edit:  Oh, and the new 1UP web design which was just released is kind of cool.  Just happened to check them out earlier today.  I think they've taken some cues from GB and other sites but it looks really quite cool - can only really spend my time on one main site though so GB it is.  I like the idea they've got going of creating 'clubs' around different areas which you join to discuss more specific stuff with like-minded people.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mikemcn
@IClavdivs said:
" @Mikemcn:  It's probably hard to not be somewhat of a pretentious douchebag when you're internet famous. "
When I Ryan O'donnel said on Rebel FM that "I don't really pay attention to the gaming industry anymore", all i could think is why the fuck anyone should trust his opinion as a critic. I mean sure, your opinion is cool by itself, but for the last 20 episodes of Co-Op i assumed he actually cared about games in general and that his views about the broader concepts behind modern games were supported by observations from what was happening in the industry itself. But it seems like after getting fired from 1up he actually just decided to not even bother staying informed. He also spent way too much time talking about the Ipad, but I digress.