#1 Edited by Dudacles (1676 posts) -

I'd like to hook up my PS2 to a monitor considering I don't have a TV available to me in my current residence. Now, the PS2 obviously outputs through RCA and the monitor has a VGA-port on it, among other things. I did some research on this and found that people have been having trouble hooking up their PS2s to monitors.

The point is that I'm looking at this cable on amazon that should convert an RCA input into VGA. That would be this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HWQ312/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AOZTF0LK5T5J

The monitor I'd be hooking the PS2 up to is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0097I6R5I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know painfully little about signal conversion etcetera, but I see no reason why this wouldn't work. The cable I'm buying converts the signal, so there should be no problem, right? Yet, something tells me that'd be too easy. Can anyone tell me whether or not there's potential for my monitor simply being incapable of outputting the PS2's signal, or do you reckon I'm good?

The description for the cable says the monitor is required to have a VGA card with TV-out capability. However, I don't know about that for my particular monitor, and I looked up the specifications and cannot seem to find a stat that explicitly states whether or not the monitor has such capability.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

#2 Posted by Sooty (8193 posts) -

How good/bad is your PC? I'd rather just use an emulator than mess around with this to be honest.

#3 Edited by Dudacles (1676 posts) -

This setup pertains to my new dorm room, which makes it so that I haven't even got a PC available to me. :p I have a laptop, but it is intended for my schoolwork, watching movies and browsing the internet. It wouldn't exactly serve as an emulator for PS2 games, I fear. No, I'd much rather just figure out a way to hook up my PS2 to the monitor without spending lots of money. :)

#4 Edited by shinboy630 (1393 posts) -

If I'm not mistaken, VGA does not carry audio (and most monitors do not have speakers), so even if you were to use that converter for the video, you would still need to make sure you have some sort of method to get audio out of the PS2. As per that particular converter, I don't see why it wouldn't work for video.

EDIT: Looked up the monitor on Asus' site, and turns out it does have speakers. Go figure. Anyway, the VGA issue still stands.

#5 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6420 posts) -

I think those straight up cables seem very ineffective. If you want to play older consoles, I think you will have to end up buying a hardware upscaler. The problem is that upscalers are pricey especially when for the really good ones which go for more than a pretty penny.

Since the Asus you have also has HDMI, you have options aside from VGA.

I guess you are not looking to spend too much but from what I somewhat researched a while back, you can try using something like the Lenkeng LKV363 since it can output 1080p from older games, especially ones that output different resolutions. If you ever do get one, hope for it to work since there are conflicting reports.

Here is a link that can help you out with upscalers. http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Oh yeah if you have an SCART cable, there are HDMI/VGA upscalers for those too.