Hottest Mess Waiting Room 2019

• 68 results
#51 Posted by hermes (2638 posts) -

I feel like the crunch and layoffs should be in a different category. I think it diminish the gravity of the situation when the staff has to compare it with things like "no man sky was kind of boring" or "fallout 76 is broken". I also get that the categories are more for laughs, and even hottest mess have an air of banality to them, so it is more entertaining to talk about the latest Pitchfork debacle than about the soul crushing stories of the lives of people that make the games that we love.

It felt a little weird when the discussion last year was "What was a hottest mess? Telltale closing its doors and leaving hundreds without social security (including people that had just moved in), or Bethesda not delivering vanity items to premium buyers?". So I am proposing crunches, layoffs and other incidents that affect the real life of people outside of gaming to be placed on a special category, be talked about, say something like "and the winner is... no one. Because no one wins in these situations" and rule them out of the hottest mess.

#52 Posted by meteora3255 (681 posts) -

Mario Maker 2: For as great as that game is, Nintendo still hasn't figured out to handle searching for and surfacing levels. This game didn't even launch with the equivalent of the bookmark site they eventually added to MM1.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#53 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1440 posts) -

@hermes: Yeah, this was exactly my feeling about it during the discussions last year.

#54 Posted by Darkaileron (207 posts) -

Pitchford. Fuck him.

#55 Posted by niko_of_death (282 posts) -

It's too bad the crew doesn't follow esports very closesly, because that entire industry is the definition of a hot mess (and getting hotter by the year). From all of Riot's issues both in their actual esports practices, as well as all their corporate issues that seemingly everyone is willing to turn a blind eye to because you gotta get some money from that esports thing, to Activision pumping up the bubble with industrial strength to ensure it collapses as soon as possible, to the countless scam tournaments, and 1000 other things I can't think of off the top of my head because there's too much trash in the industry to keep track of.

#56 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7696 posts) -

Bethesda is in a very early and sizable lead on this.

My guess is that as the fall rolls around we will see some big games arrive that will be 2019 hot messes and/or more employment woes.

#57 Posted by pappafost (230 posts) -

Randy Pitchford should definitely win, HOWEVER, he is a magician, and experience dictates that you should DEFINITELY not mess with magicians. Nominate at your own risk, lol.

#58 Edited by Shiftygism (1132 posts) -
#59 Posted by dudeglove (13795 posts) -

This is more video game adjacent and/or me being old man yells at cloud, but I'd like to give an honorary nomination-then-immediately-take-off-the-list to random heckling.

Various events, not just the embarrassment that was the hooting from the E3 Bethesda conference, but SGDQ and some others this year have had way way too many people bellowing unfunny things from the audience. If you're one of those people, please stop.

#60 Edited by dudeglove (13795 posts) -

Okay this doesn't involve Pitchford (one hopes) but it does involve Borderlands 3

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/08/2k-sent-hired-goons-to-a-youtuber-over-borderlands-3-info-leaks/

Short version is, a youtuber called SupMatto is (or was) a massive Borderlands fan, and made videos about the games. He has also "leaked" some minor information in the form of publicly available screenshots about the next game (which were discerned from live stream previews of the game and other preview events). Take-Two/2K's response to this fandom was to not only publicly admit that they have had a 10-month long investigation into SupMatto, but also that they did in fact send two men posing as private investigators to his home in an attempt to interrogate him about his activities. Soon after this, his discord was taken down and multiple copyright strikes filed against his YouTube channel.

Not even the first time Take Two have done this either. They did it to a GTAV modder too.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-10-take-two-sends-private-investigators-to-gta5-modders-home-report

#61 Edited by BladeOfCreation (1440 posts) -

@dudeglove: What the actual fuck. I hope 2K gets sued and fined out the ass for this.

#62 Posted by Rahf (546 posts) -

Second instance could be grounds for a cease-and-desist, since it involves quite heavy tampering with the game code.

First instance is bizarre.

#63 Posted by dudeglove (13795 posts) -

@dudeglove: What the actual fuck. I hope 2K gets sued and fined out the ass for this.

What do you think the chances of a youtuber with about 140k subs versus a company whose total assets are somewhere about 4.2 billion dollars? But don't worry, there's a boycottborderlands3 hashtag.

#64 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1440 posts) -

@dudeglove: That's why I said "hope" and not "believe."

#65 Posted by MerxWorx01 (899 posts) -

I have to say, based on all that has happened in the past few months this list will probably triple by the end of the year.

#66 Posted by chaz934 (55 posts) -

I thought Anthem had it by a landslide until the ESA leak.

#67 Posted by slaughts (112 posts) -

The ESA journo leak definitely is going to be on the Top 3 this year for Hottest Mess unless something worse happens.

#68 Posted by Gundato (375 posts) -

I think the ESA leak will be similar to Mucin from last year: it will get a fair amount of play and impassioned discussion. And it is probably what a lot of the staff would want to pick, but it doesn't really affect most gamers directly

I think Anthem or "Randy" are still the front runners with my current money on Anthem. Because Randy may be a shitshow but Borderlands 3 is going to sell like hotcakes. EGS might get a bit of time, but I don't think any of the staff feel particularly inconvenienced by it and I suspect it may just be one talking point in the general "stop fucking harassing people" conversation.

I do expect unionization and crunch to get a pretty big emphasis, but suspect it won't win for reasons similar to ESA: Most of the audience don't think they are affected by it.