How Did A Game/Franchise You Once Loved Break Your Heart?

• 160 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Changes That Broke Your Heart?

In the days of online games and balancing patches and add-ons, where many games are everchanging and evolving - which game/franchise broke your heart and make you fall out of love with the game? What was the change that broke your bond?

For me, it was World of Warcraft and the introduction of the PvP-specific attribute 'Resilience' on PvP gear. Effectively 'Resilience' did break WoW in half - into PvP and PvE content and progression.

I loved doing both. Progressing in either made my character stronger in both PvE and PvP. I loved getting better loot from raiding and then taking my new gear to a battleground and see how the gear helped me dominate my opposition. I loved ranking up in PvP and gaining access to gear beneficial to my PvE performance. No matter what I did, if I did well, my character got stronger in all aspects of the game. With the dawn of the PvP-tailored stat of Resilience, which essentially negates powerful PvE gear and makes PvE progression unimportant to PvP play, the game lost much of its appeal to me. It fractured the progression into 2 completely seperate paths.

Eversince, neither PvE nor PvP feel as rewarding to me as they did before. I'm not a dedicated PvP player (who asked for this change in the first place), nor is doing the PvE thing for PvE's sake only enough. Blizzard broke WoW into two separate games and broke my heart. I slowly, but surely, fell out of love with the game. I still enjoy it from time to time and I played passionately even after this change, but the thing I valued the most was lost and I'll never forgive them for it.

How about you? What change in which game did break your heart and make your fall out of love? It could be balance changes within one game or changes made between one iterations of a franchinse.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Battlefield 3 is coming out on consoles. That really breaks my heart.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Modern Warfare 2 kinda ruined my love for the Call Of Duty franchise.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ApertureSilence

Samus Aran's portrayal in Other M has killed my love for the franchise, I think.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By blackbird415

driver. The first one was amazing. I played that for hours and hours. I dont know what happened after that. They just didnt know what to do. Any driver game after the first one is just shit. 

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Pinworm45

No Caption Provided
Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Bigrhyno

Ironically, when I saw this topic I was about to make a post that was very similar to yours. I haven't enjoyed WoW since the expansions have been added. That is probably a good thing though since I was playing an unhealthy amount of it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Resident Evil 5. I've complained about it so many times I absotively can't be bothered typing up the why again.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By natetodamax
@blackbird415 said:
" driver. The first one was amazing. I played that for hours and hours. I dont know what happened after that. They just didnt know what to do. Any driver game after the first one is just shit.  "
Driv3r is so terrible it's one of my favorite games.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Pinworm45:  Oh god, that shit was bad.
Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Noxpectius

Hasnt come out yet, so we'll see how it turns out. But mine would be Dragon Age. I love Mass Effect but I would have liked Bioware to keep Dragon Age II in the style of its predeccesor. It was cool to have two styles of RPGs, I'm a bit affraid its gonna be two Mass Effect style games, one SciFi, the other Fantasy.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blackbird415
@natetodamax:  I couldnt beat it at a point. I almost finished it but That one chick played my michelle rodriguez when you have to chase her down I couldnt do it. It was just too friggin hard. It had its moments, but many of the chase scenes were ruined by how unforgiving it is and how much power they give the computer over you.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By natetodamax
@blackbird415: I think I remember the mission you're talking about. And if I remember correctly, you started the chase facing the other direction. That's part of what made it frustrating for me. 

@Fragstoff: Oh man, I totally agree. L4D2 had too many Special Infected
Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheCreamFilling
@natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2 kinda ruined my love for the Call Of Duty franchise. "
Indeed. Call of Duty 2 still one of my favorite games of all time. Call of Duty 3 was bad, Modern Warfare made it all better, World at War was the same, just reskinned, but I think MW2 jumped a mountain of sharks for no real reason. 
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By HydraHam

Halo.. Halo Wars and ODST were such a let down and broke my heart.. im hoping Reach heals my wounds and shows me how to love again.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blackbird415
@natetodamax: YEAH!!! They did this scene where the level before it you played the other guys perspective and then when it went to tanners perspective you had to chase her. It was ridiculous, you could screw up once. Of course thats all of the chase scenes, but she takes you through all kinds of tight winding roads and whatnot
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

I guess it's sort of a franchise (trilogy?), but I can't think of anything that broke my heart more than Heavy Rain. Almost exclusively due to the terrible voice acting. I wanted to love it so much. Indeed, I did love it so much. But at the same time, it just smacks me across the face with one major terrible flaw.

Zinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zinc

Tony Hawk. Nuff' said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oblivion. 

Morrowind had a such a wonderfully alien setting, it was very disappointing to go from that to the extremely bland setting of Oblivion. Combine with the fact that it had significantly less content than its predecessor and Oblivion was definitely a heartbreaking experience for me.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By ESREVER

I was going to say none. But then I remembered the Worms series. 

And then I cried.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By swamplord666

Crash bandicoot. Loved the first 3 and Crash team racing but after that it just went to shit

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By chstupid

Sonic. 
Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Plasma
@Soapy86 said:

" Oblivion.  Morrowind had a such a wonderfully alien setting, it was very disappointing to go from that to the extremely bland setting of Oblivion. Combine with the fact that it had significantly less content than its predecessor and Oblivion was definitely a heartbreaking experience for me. "

What!? Its because Morrowind is set on a dunmer island, while Oblivion is in the realm of man, which is meant to be generic fantatsy. 
Although Morrowind was the better game, Oblivion was still an awesome RPG.
HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By HellBrendy

Half-Life 2: episode 3.  

By not exsisting really, my whole Half-Life love affair is kinda one sided, and when those affairs turns that way I just leave.  

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

army oft two 2

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MeierTheRed

Gimping Dragon Age 2, makes me cry like a 9 year old girl at night.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By blackbird415
@Zinc: ah yes totally, though I have an idea that could work. What if they made tony hawk the way it used to be where you were just dropped into a level and you had 3 minutes to do the objectives (i.e. collect skate letters, rack up points, etc. etc.) and make it an xbla title. I would buy it off the drop of a hat.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By beargirl1
@Abyssfull said:
" Resident Evil 5. I've complained about it so many times I absotively can't be bothered typing up the why again. "
this  

also, DOA kind of broke my heart with the xtreme beach games all the time but i'm really liking what i see of the (finally) new fighting game they have for the 3DS so i don't think that counts. 
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By blackbird415
@swamplord666: yeah, but that was because it got strung over to a different developer and they just blew it to shreds. Kinda like spyro. I loved those crash bandicoot games too. Glad to see they're on psn
Asberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Asberg

Amped 3, it shat on everything i loved about the first two. For some reason people think it´s funny therefore i am now a misanthrope.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Fragstoff said:
" L4D1 (which is much, much better) "  
 I refuse to believe that you ever played L4D2.  

That is just an impossibility. 

Also: 
  D:
  D:
raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raiz265
@natetodamax said:
" Modern Warfare 2 kinda ruined my love for the Call Of Duty franchise. "
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Plasma: I didn't say it was bad, just disappointing. 
JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By JoeH

Star wars galaxies, it was brilliant, truly fantastic. And then they had to ruin it all buy doing something stupid like N-G-E.   

I could write more on this but my feelings on the matter are well documented here.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bellmont42
@Seppli said:
"

Changes That Broke Your Heart?

In the days of online games and balancing patches and add-ons, where many games are everchanging and evolving - which game/franchise broke your heart and make you fall out of love with the game? What was the change that broke your bond?  For me, it was World of Warcraft and the introduction of the PvP-specific attribute 'Resilience' on PvP gear. Effectively 'Resilience' did break WoW in half - into PvP and PvE content and progression.  I loved doing both. Progressing in either made my character stronger in both PvE and PvP. I loved getting better loot from raiding and then taking my new gear to a battleground and see how the gear helped me dominate my opposition. I loved ranking up in PvP and gaining access to gear beneficial to my PvE performance. No matter what I did, if I did well, my character got stronger in all aspects of the game. With the dawn of the PvP-tailored stat of Resilience, which essentially negates powerful PvE gear and makes PvE progression unimportant to PvP play, the game lost much of its appeal to me. It fractured the progression into 2 completely seperate paths.  Eversince, neither PvE nor PvP feel as rewarding to me as they did before. I'm not a dedicated PvP player (who asked for this change in the first place), nor is doing the PvE thing for PvE's sake only enough. Blizzard broke WoW into two separate games and broke my heart. I slowly, but surely, fell out of love with the game. I still enjoy it from time to time and I played passionately even after this change, but the thing I valued the most was lost and I'll never forgive them for it.   How about you? What change in which game did break your heart and make your fall out of love? It could be balance changes within one game or changes made between one iterations of a franchinse. "
While resilience did ruin the game... thats when I started hating the game myself... PvE gear dominates the arenas. Its extremely high damage negates the resilience and even then youre still putting out more damage than the people in pvp gear... so its just nasty
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Turok on the current gen consoles.
What happened to the awesome (ok decent!) dinosaur hunting games that had stuff like choppable trees and insane fights with enemies while dinosaur's could crash the party at any time!

Then it turned into a space marine who happens to be named Turok and oh here's a dinosaur to make it Turok like.
MEH I say!

Also, Phantasy Star Universe!
I was a big fan of Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast/NGC and then they turned it into something...I dunno.
I still think a remake of PSO for PSN/Xbox Arcade will make them more money then PSU ever did.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By trophyhunter

They have not made a sequel to POP 08 yet.
That's basically it, I'm not a bitch about those kinds of things.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Star Wars: The Old Republic. Just the fact that it's an MMO. And yeah, ODST was disappointing, and to a lesser extend so was Halo 3. Not that I didn't still play the shit out of Halo 3. 

Also not that I care much about Gears, but Gears 2 was a fucking shitty follow up to a promising game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By MysteriousBob

Sonic the Hedgehog- obviously. 

Soul Calibur. The series peaked at II then died out.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Cwaff

Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot. 3 awesome games (2 maybe in Spyro's case) and then downhill rapidly from there.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Animasta

GTA IV was so dull and drab and boring after the crazy shit that was in san andreas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I will say Resident Evil 4. Don't get me wrong it is one of my all time favorite games of all times but towards the end of the game you go through the god damn laser grid that is straight out of the first Resident Evil movie. At that point I knew that Resident Evil had switched over from survival horror to straight up action game.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By Sooperspy
@Fragstoff said:
"
No Caption Provided
not that its BAD, just that it exists at all and drove people away from L4D1 (which is much, much better) "
This. Hopefully if there is a third L4D game, they stay away from the daylight shit
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Meowayne

Posting in a thread from a dude describing how World of Warcraft broke his heart.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By Seroth

Metroid Other M.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By AndrewB

This is kind of putting a twist on it, but the Hitman series, due to the fact that Blood Money was such a great game and then IO had to go on to do 3 crummy games in the interim. In that same vein, there's the Half-Life franchise... 

There was Halo 2. I've played the bejeezus out of the first game, but played through Halo 2 once and never really felt like playing it again. If I ever did feel like playing it, I'd probably just pick up Halo 3 again because that carries over all the gameplay perks, adds some, and also looks worlds better in the graphics department. I suppose if I was a big multiplayer guy I might feel differently, what with Halo 2 being the first online-enabled version of the franchise, but I'm not much of a multiplayer guy. 

The franchise hasn't really been the same to me since, though I'm interested in ODST and Reach. Reach doesn't have any of the flood in it, does it?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Seppli
@Meowayne said:

" Posting in a thread from a dude describing how World of Warcraft broke his heart. "

Either you've never loved a game you've played or you don't understand the concept of a 'proverb'. Falling out of love with something is as common in gaming as in everything else. In any case, you're trolling.

I wonder how embarrassing your once beloved games must be, if you are so blatantly unwilling to share? Probably some japanese loli-rape simulator or something... that's way more hip than World of Warcraft, for which you are way too cool - obviously.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By AhmadMetallic

.. i dont have an answer ! 

none of my favorite franchises ever let me down