How did you find GiantBomb.com?

YourGibs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By YourGibs

We  must all have our own stories as to how we found ourselves roaming this "gaming" website. For me it was the Endurance Run (they played the game from start to finish and recorded it) of a crazy game called Deadly Premonition.  Leading up to this point my experience with gaming "journalism" had been through the traditional places (e.g. Computer Gaming World, PC Gamer, GameSpot, IGN). I always felt like an outsider with these media outlets and had no connection with the folks that were telling what to buy or not to buy.  

Francis York Morgan... you can call me York.
With the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run it was the first time that I felt a connection with gaming media as I listened and watched these guys put themselves through the agony of this janky game. I bought Deadly Premonition because of their efforts and I followed the quirky developer @Swery65 for his tasty tweets and I even re-watched the crazy Twin Peaks television show just so that I could attempt to get the references to this show in the game. 

I am grateful for the GiantBomb.com website and the hard work that the crew pours  into this "little" community.    It certainly was a fluke that I found my way to this site, but certainly not a surprise that I stayed.
YourGibs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By YourGibs

We  must all have our own stories as to how we found ourselves roaming this "gaming" website. For me it was the Endurance Run (they played the game from start to finish and recorded it) of a crazy game called Deadly Premonition.  Leading up to this point my experience with gaming "journalism" had been through the traditional places (e.g. Computer Gaming World, PC Gamer, GameSpot, IGN). I always felt like an outsider with these media outlets and had no connection with the folks that were telling what to buy or not to buy.  

With the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run it was the first time that I felt a connection with gaming media as I listened and watched these guys put themselves through the agony of this janky game. I bought Deadly Premonition because of their efforts and I followed the quirky developer @Swery65 for his tasty tweets and I even re-watched the crazy Twin Peaks television show just so that I could attempt to get the references to this show in the game. 

I am grateful for the GiantBomb.com website and the hard work that the crew pours  into this "little" community.    It certainly was a fluke that I found my way to this site, but certainly not a surprise that I stayed.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By keyhunter

I sorta just followed the Gerst man from Gamespot to his blog to this. 
Mostly because of his Achievement points reports and features.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zajtalan

why is this a blog post? I just followed Jeff's leave from the once comforting gamespot 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I was never a big fan of Gamespot at all, but I would check out the site rarely.  Every time I went there Jeff seemed like a cool dude.  I heard about the Kane & Lynch fiasco and paid a fair amount of attention at that time.

So at some point afterward I heard of Jeff's Jeff Gerstmann is not Dead blog and followed that off and on.  Then I started listening to the Arrow Pointing Down podcast.  I actually had bought my first MP3 player a few months earlier so I was looking for some podcasts.  So then Giant Bomb was formed (first in beta, and boy was the site barren then) and I listened to the podcast and rarely checked into the forums.

Then one day I had a question about Bunrout Paradise and I couldn't think of a better place on the internet to ask so I signed up.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dany

I guess I followed Jeff and Ryan over here. I was more of a lurker on gamespot but went their as my main gaming source and it was great entertainment, the entire gerstamann gate kinda left a sour feeling in my mouth so i followed them here

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

I was at work reading random reviews off metacritic.  Giant Bomb kept coming up and they all seemed to be written pretty well.  Saw Jeff on the Bonus Round and thought he was pretty cool, too.  As IGN brought in a bunch of new people, I got bored of their podcasts.  Tried a Bombcast and been hooked ever since.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Wikipedia told me where to find Mr. gerstmann. so I went to his new site. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@keyhunter said:
" I sorta just followed the Gerst man from Gamespot to his blog to this. "
This. I was a fan of the old GameSpot and spent most of the last decade watching their video reviews back when your only option was an embedded windows media player with terrible quality and slow buffering.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By carlthenimrod

I used to listen to Hotspot and I migrated over here.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Subscribing to the Bombcast as it was a popular podcast on iTunes. A month later, I decided to actually visit the website.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I used to visit GameSpot all the time, and then after Jeff got let go, I didn't really go to any video game websites for awhile.  Then I decided to see whatever happened to old Jeff Gerstmann, and I found GB.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By yorick

Someone in the Steam forums linked to their Dreamkiller quick look. I've been visiting here ever since, which is about a year and few months.
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Teaspoon83

When I started driving an hour to work everyday, I looked for more podcasts to fill up my ipod and Itunes had them listed. That was a long time ago and glad they are there every week for my drive.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Persona 4

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust

I followed the idea of a Wiki. 

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By ESREVER

I happened-by on GiantBomb after being led here by a Kotaku comment about one of the Quick-Looks.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By recroulette

After 1up Yours started to slowly devour itself I started looking around for other podcasts and found the Bombcast.

gill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gill

I followed Jeff off of GameSpot, to his blog, to the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast, to the site. It's a little hard to believe the sites been going for so long and I've been here since day 1...and have such a low post count.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By gamb1t

I truely dont remember how. Someone mentioned it at gamespot and i liked jeff's reviews when he was on gamespot.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beej

stumbleupon took me to episode 50 of the erun, I watched it and didn't understand a single bit of what they were doing, yet the experience was still funny all the same. I then went back and watched all of it, I registered for an account during the Deadly Premonition erun, and started actually using the site frequently when I donated. 

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer

Christmas 2008 1UP Yours...? had a game-of-the-year podcast where Garnett Lee invited a bunch of folks to talk about their picks for that year.  Some folks from a website I had heard of in passing came on to talk about how great GTAIV was and I thought to myself, "Man these guys are dumb."

Fast forward a few months to the 1UP.com implosion.  Suddenly all of my favorite podcasts were on hiatus and for how long?  No one knew.  Desperate for ANYthing to listen to during my daily drive to school/work, I asked my friend if had any recommendations to help me fill in the gap.

Thus began my love affair with giantbomb.com, a gaming news website so amazing that I can't bear to visit any others and home of the greatest podcast known to man.  Thank you Brad for letting me eliminate you from not one, but two community SCII tournaments.  Thank you Jeff for signing your name in between Chie's legs.  Thank you Ryan for ignoring every single e-mail I've ever sent.  Thank you Drew, Vinny and Dave for doing all of the REAL work.

YEAHHH GIANTBOMB!!! (jump up freeze frame!)

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sickVisionz

via the Bombcast.  I used to ride public transit and had a job where I could wear headphones and I'd eat through a pretty high amount of podcast each week.  The Bombcast was the funniest one and it lasted an insane amount of time, which I liked.

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rb_man

I found the mad moxxi quick look on a different site and I was hooked.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#24  Edited By citizenkane

I followed Jeff's blog once he got let go from Gamespot and came here on Day 1 when he announced the site.

Good times, those blog days were.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Davis smuggled me in by swallowing the condom I was trapped inside and going to work as if it were any other day. Needless to say I ended up on Brad's chest sometime around 3pm.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I was looking at the Champions Online website for funsies, and they had a link to the QuickLook. I am here today solely because of Vinny geeking out over that game.

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By seanbooker

Used to frequent GameSpot quite a bit. Watched On The Spot and listened to The Hotspot each week for a few years. Became a fan of a bunch of the guys from there (Ryan, Rich, Alex, Jeff, Carrie to name a few) and once they each started to leave I followed their individual blogs. Then Giant Bomb was formed and obviously that's the next step in keeping up to date with these guys.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By conker
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

Davis smuggled me in by swallowing the condom I was trapped inside and going to work as if it were any other day. Needless to say I ended up on Brad's chest sometime around 3pm.

"  
Comic gold, good sir. 

I found out about this site through Wikipedia. Ya I was pretty bored that day so I wikipedia`d Gamespot, which led to Jeff Gerstmann firing, which led to Giantbomb!
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Skytylz
@RecSpec said:
" After 1up Yours started to slowly devour itself I started looking around for other podcasts and found the Bombcast. "
This is pretty much it, but I had already heard about the Bombcast after the crew was on 1up yours and I eventually came here because they seemed pretty cool.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187

I was looking for components to build a bomb.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463

During the genocide of 1up.com after UGO bought it out and turned the site into garbage I kept hearing people talking about this giantbomb thing in the comments of the article they put up letting the community know about the firings. At the time 1up being my only site for gaming I decided what the fuck. My site was dead so I might as well go on the hunt for a new one. 

So I made an account and started posting in the forums. I think at the time they were somewhere in the middle of the P4 ER, but I honestly can't remember what it was about the site that made me stay. Back in 2004-2006 I went to gamespot.com because that was when I went to college and for the first time had internet that wasn't dial up and all the cool kids went there so I just naturally went there as well until I found 1up. Up until then I had only used EGM and PC Gamer for all of my video game related news and information.

FUNFACT:I actually hated the video shows Jeff and them did over at gamespot and thought they were the most obnoxious and uninteresting people in the world. Funny how things turn out.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chilibean_3

Mega64 was in a GiantBomb video so I went here to watch it.  Then I started listening to the Bombcast. Then started watching the videos.   Once I got stuck in the Deadly Premonition endurance run I was trapped for good.  I didn't even realize that Jeff was that Jeff for a while since I never went to Gamespot. 

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wrect

I was a fan of Jeff and the boys from the Gamespot days.  I followed them here.
TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheSmashing

I followed Jeff from the day he got fired right through to now

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MadeinFinland
@Zajtalan said:

"  I just followed Jeff's leave from the once comforting gamespot  "

ditto. Followed him away from the Kane & Lynch incident/thingy. 

@Gill said:
" I followed Jeff off of GameSpot, to his blog, to the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast, to the site. It's a little hard to believe the sites been going for so long and I've been here since day 1...and have such a low post count. "
I know what you mean about the post count. I'm not as low as you, but people who only recently join have ENORMOUS post counts.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aronman789

Found out about it from a Cracked article

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#37  Edited By BeachThunder

It found me.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38  Edited By damnboyadvance

I followed his blog until this site happened.

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By jlaudio7

I followed Jeff after Gamespot. I'm sure that's how most of us came here.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

@keyhunter said:

"Gamespot"

@Zajtalan said:

" gamespot  "

@Diamond said:

" Gamespot "

@Dany said:

" gamespot "

@MysteriousBob said:

" @keyhunter said:

" Gamespot "
GameSpot "
@PeasantAbuse said:

" GameSpot "

@Gill said:

" GameSpot "

@gamb1t said:

" gamespot gamespot "

@CitizenKane said:
" Gamespot "

@Angel_Gamer said:
" GameSpot "

@Conker said:
" Gamespot "

@crusader8463 said:
" gamespot gamespot "

@chilibean_3 said:
" Gamespot "

@MadeinFinland said:
" @Zajtalan said:

" gamespot  "

@Gill said:
" GameSpot "
 "

This, especially CitizenKane's.
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By golguin

From Gamespot through the drama up to the eventual launch of the site.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By benpack

My friend linked me to the P4 Endurance Run. I came for the ER, and stayed for the Quick Looks.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Faint

I used GameSpot since 2004 and when Jeff left I stopped using GameSpot as much and I checked his blog occasionally and then I found out about GiantBomb (I can't recall how i stumbled across it) during the Persona 4 Endurance Runs.

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By miningguyx360

BUTTON-MASHING BUTTON-MASHING .....WHEN I SAY BUTTON YOU SAY MASHING! 
 Gamespot was cool but GiantBomb truly lets the crew go wild. 

oh yeah.... gamespot to blog to arrow pointing down to first day sign up

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Rogue Warrior quicklook, I couldn't stop laughing. 
fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By fearthephins

I searched up a game on google and one of the results was a review on Giant Bomb for that game. That actually ended up happening  a few times so I decided to finally create an account and well here I am haha.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Leptok

Joystiq or Kotaku had a link to the Tony Hawk: Ride QL. 

Poking around I got hooked on ERun and Bombcast. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By Dalai
@BeachThunder said:
" It found me. "
You must be Russian. 

Stereotypical Gamespot jumper... that's me.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Subjugation

Not gonna lie, I totally followed Jeff. Gamespot -> Blog -> Giantbomb. Once the majority of the Gamespot crew that I knew left (Kasavin, Navarro, Gouskous, Gallup, Gerstmann, Shoemaker, Davis etc.) I really felt no connection to the site anymore. A corporate business model is great and all, but that can't ever make up for charisma.

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By dotpatrick

I sort of followed the site after Jeff was let go from GameSpot. I would check the site once or twice a month to see what they were up to and listening to the Bombcast every once and a while. I did that up until the Persona 4 Endurance Run when I actually signed for an account and started visiting the site on a daily basis.