How do late ports fit into your GOTY deliberations?

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

As I'm compiling my list for my top 10 games of the year, I was faced with this question:

Do late ports belong in Game of the Year deliberations?

For example:
Dust: An Elysian Tale and Fez came out last year on 360, but I don't own a 360. Therefore, I just got to play them this year on PC. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an even more extreme example, since it came out three years ago on console but PC players just got the "Premium Edition" in the last few weeks.

Last year, we saw the 360 port of Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings make it into many sites' GOTY deliberations, even though the PC game was out the year prior.

So, what are your thoughts on whether these late ports should count in GOTY deliberations?

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I know for some people, a straight port being on a GOTY list is looked down upon, but if there's a bunch of added content it's a bit better. I think that for ports, especially since it just came out to a system that you can actually play it on, it fits just fine.

The main thing to remember is, it doesn't really matter what other people think, it's YOUR Game of the Year list, as long as the game came out in some way or form that specific year, it's fine.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, it doesn't count. You get in some shitty territory otherwise. Consider how many old (90s-ish) games have been re-released this year. You could probably make an entire list out of NES games re-released on the 3DS...

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No way, those are old games. Dust and Fez already had their time to shine and get the rewards they deserved. It's time for new games to get the attention. Unless its a bigtime remake (ex Resident Evil on Gamecube) it shouldn't be considered and even then it probably wouldnt get most rewards because it will still be viewed as an old game by many.

But if it's your list, then who cares?

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, unless it wasn't released in the region until some time later, like Xenoblade or something.

Also, I don't worry about Enslaved making anything because:

Loading Video...

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BRich

They don't count. Unless it was an obscure PC game that got a big console release soon after like the witcher example.

Big console release to PC release years later like a GTA game definitely wouldn't be on lists.

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're an outlet you should be on top of your shit enough to play games when they come out. But if you're just a dude? Do whatever. I go case by case, but if it's a straight port I usually add them to the old list retroactively.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@brich said:

They don't count. Unless it was an obscure PC game that got a big console release soon after like the witcher example.

Big console release to PC release years later like a GTA game definitely wouldn't be on lists.

This seems like dumb logic to be honest.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Did I play it this year? If yes, then I'll consider it.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the input! I personally struggle between just doing what I want with my list and include the ports and wanting to stick to a similar process that most mainstream sites go by, just for consistency. However, it is not always reasonable to assume I can play all the games on all the systems that mainstream gaming enthusiast press can. :)

I think I'm going to make a compromise. I'm going to leave the ports out of my Top 10 list for 2013...but I'm going to have a separate list of 3-5 non-2013 games that I give attention to...kind of like how GB has had the "2013's 2012 GOTY" award.

People can still feel free to give their opinions, if they want, though. I like hearing opinions on stuff like this.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think if it's something like Giant Bomb's official GOTY deliberations, then late ports have no business being part of the discussion. But if this is just your personal list for a blog or something, make whatever kinds of rules you want. If the game is new to you having never had a 360, then include it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is how I go about it, leaving out the games I'm replaying from previous years.

As for lists on websites...I don't care at all. They can put up whatever. I just like hearing their reasons and watching the dumb skits they do.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By crithon

I was curious about that with Fez. Fez's real game is "how long till you leave the game to explore it in the outside world." And all of the puzzles are solved if you look at a simple faq online. And to be fair there's honestly a good game in there, just the whole ARG aspect kinda has ruined. Found a site on how to make cubes to help you translate the language.

I mean this kinda feels more like "best game of last year I got to finally playing." like they did with Borderlands and Super Mario 3d land

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

@wjb said:

Not really, unless it wasn't released in the region until some time later, like Xenoblade or something.

Also, I don't worry about Enslaved making anything because:

Loading Video...

Man these clips infinitely entertain me then depress me at the same time.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: Yeah, I LOVED Fez...until I got to the point where I had to figure out the language and numbers. I figured out the language by myself, for the most part (except I had the letters rotated incorrectly). I couldn't figure out the numbers, myself, and that just kind of ruined my momentum. If a friend and I figured out the numbers together, that would be different, but just finding it on the internet wasn't fun for me.

However, the joy and fun I had the first 7 or 8 hours makes it one of my favorite games of the year. However, like I sad before, I'll probably give it another award like "Best Non-2013 Game of the Year" or something like that. :P

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@video_game_king said:

If that's your only criteria, then I assume your list is going to be all games released prior to 2000 and Fire Emblem: Awakening?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

For personal lists, do whatever the hell you want. It's only people who play video games for a living and have no excuse for not playing original iterations where this becomes a valid complaint.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Well, this will be the 21st year in a row that Mortal Kombat II has been my GotY