How do you calm down after a frustrating session?

• 88 results
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

If I get so fustrated that I can't play properly anymore, then something is wrong outside the game. Be it headaches, work/family problems or whatever. And that isn't just gonna go away by turning it off, even worse I lose the game distracting me.

I can't really cool myself down properly in situations like that. I'll try dumb youtube videos of kitties or something for minimal success. But probably just gonna end up being pissy and annoyed the rest of the day. :/

I'm glad this isn't an especially common occurrence for me.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A cup of nice tea and deep breaths. Works every time.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shout racial slurs then get white guilt

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Superkenon

I don't think I've ever been frustrated to the point where I need to "calm down". If I'm hitting a wall over and over in a game, I'm usually having more fun than anything since that's the kind of challenge I'm after. Any accompanying irritation is gone as quickly as it came.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By stryker1121

@tylea002 said:

It's real hard, and I imagine it is for many other people too - because I only get really annoyed at a frustrating session if things are already wrong, and I'm trying to play games to calm down.

Otherwise, games don't really frustrate me, but when there's other shit going down, the inconsequential fun that's meant to cheer you up becoming frustrating can be the straw that pisses me off. To calm down I'll sometimes change game, or stop and watch something, or go for a walk, depends.

This is a good way to put it - frustration w/ life stuff is exacerbated by game frustration, even if the former is far more important than the latter. There'll be times when I try to power through a hard level until I beat it, but if it's too much I'll shut it down and move on to another game or something else entirely. That kind of pointless stress is not something anyone needs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you try to keep playing while you're frustrated, it will only cause you to make more mistakes, which makes you even more frustrated. I find it best to just stop playing and chill out. It's good for both my sanity and my game-playing skills. After a break, with a fresh mindset, I can usually return to the game and overcome the challenge pretty easily.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

Smoke a cigarette. I like to calm down by raising my heart rate. It works pretty damn well.

You're not an asshole Walter, you're just wrong! I smoke too but I went from 3 packs a week to one, and the more I work out the less I find myself grabbing a cigarette.. I now smoke almost exclusively after a meal, after a tough workout (just one cig), or when I drink myself to sleep occasionally.

Not telling you what to do or anything, but smoking is really bad man, you should try and make fetching a cigarette a rarity :)

Man It is good advice to quit for sure but its really not that easy for some people. And the more you smoke the harder it is to quit. I used to smoke a pack and a half a day and quitting is really not something that you can just do on a whim. It takes a specific event for a lot of people to get the motivation to actually go through with it

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishan6 said:

@officegamer said:

@tycobb said:

Smoke a cigarette. I like to calm down by raising my heart rate. It works pretty damn well.

You're not an asshole Walter, you're just wrong! I smoke too but I went from 3 packs a week to one, and the more I work out the less I find myself grabbing a cigarette.. I now smoke almost exclusively after a meal, after a tough workout (just one cig), or when I drink myself to sleep occasionally.

Not telling you what to do or anything, but smoking is really bad man, you should try and make fetching a cigarette a rarity :)

Man It is good advice to quit for sure but its really not that easy for some people. And the more you smoke the harder it is to quit. I used to smoke a pack and a half a day and quitting is really not something that you can just do on a whim. It takes a specific event for a lot of people to get the motivation to actually go through with it

I totally agree.. I guess my specific event (about 3 weeks ago) was the realization that I'm a somewhat bright somewhat successful fatass who is out of breath all the time coughing white crap. Losing some weight and taking it easy on the cigarette feasting is the last piece of the puzzle for me to be completely content with my life, and that has been my quest so far. Being occupied with a life goal totally helps you ignore smoking, as opposed to being occupied with something intense like work or studying - those are the reason I became a smoker.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

"Play" Audiosurf.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Canteu

What's a frustrating session? Games are fun, they don't frustrate me.

I am quite partial to some fun.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RedRavN

Just take a break from the game and then go for a nice walk outside and bring yourself back closer to neutral. Or playing guitar (or your instrument of choice) works really well. Sometimes when I'm really pissed about things in my real life I go play blastbeats on my drums for like an hour and when I finish my mind and body are quiet.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#62  Edited By natedawg_kz

I'm not putting down the controller until l do well.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Play a different game? I rarely if ever get frustrated with single player stuff enough to quit (though I do relish difficulty) but people playing in as generic or boring a fashion as possible in whichever multiplayer game can get tedious.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Kidable

Keep a straight face. Psyche the game out. The game will start getting frustrated that you're not getting frustrated and mess up. Works every time man. Not that I've ever gotten frustrated at a game ever. Step your game up. Thug life. Peace.

sevenLiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spaghetti, then helicopter.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Play something that I know I can succeed at.

bitchypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually just turn it off and spend my negative energy in other forms. Mostly exercise and masturbation.

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Usually when I get to that point of frustration, I'll just quit and go for a short run. As much as it's been stated, running really does clear the mind and calm you down.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By kerse

Play dark souls

this actually as weird as that may sound

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#70  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

While I do get get stressed occasionaly, I never get outright mad. If tense I just get up and walk away for awhile, but if something just plain unfair or stupid happens I have a good hearty laugh and continue playing.

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Masturbation. What can I say, there's no better way to get a hold of yourself, than getting a hold on yourself...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I play with my dog.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

There a few things I do

1. If, after the frustrating part, you end up in a relaxing part of the game, I would relax in the game world.
  2. Save, turn off game, get some ice cream.
  3. Go outside ( I usually go in my backyard and check how the yard is doing).
OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By OfficeGamer

@canteu said:

What's a frustrating session? Games are fun, they don't frustrate me.

Get the hell outta here. One in every 10 games is actually 100% fun for me, otherwise there's always cheap bullshit and bad designs. Currently playing through Bioshock Infinite, and all the backtracking is making me sigh in agony.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shut the game off, probably boot something else up or watch something on TV. If it's a nice day out, I'll usually start my bike up and go for a ride.

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

i will watch stand up or something really funny because as soon as i get the first big laugh that frustration goes away instantly

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm generally a single-player sort of person and if I can't quite knack it, I'll take a break for food or some internet browsing, perhaps play another game, and come back to it later that day or the next.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I have a habit of just trucking through frustrating sections until I succeed. I don't often quit unless I decide that whatever I'm doing just isn't worth the time.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Shut the game off and move on to something else.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marijuana helps.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By theodacourt
I punch a horse.
I punch a horse.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really get frustrated. I'll just turn off the game I guess.

Wheady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By Wheady

take to the internet to see if anyone else is having the same kind of issue and see if there are any tips out there. ususally by the time thats done i've settled down and im ready for a rematch!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't usually. I have difficulties not finishing things. Significant difficulties. It's a big part of why I fucking hate playing Assassin's Creed III but keep going back to it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn off the game and do something else but I try to take online games less seriously and I end up saving myself frustration a lot more.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just get up, get something to drink, relax for a few minutes and then start playing again.

If I still can't get it after a while, I'll stop and boot something else up or just give games a break for the rest of the day until I feel like playing again.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Either play something else or watch some giantbomb videos.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Usually shout out loud: 'Wasn't this play tested? WHO THE FUCK STILL THINKS THIS CRAP-TON-O-HEALTH IS GOOD DIFFICULTY SCALING?!'

Then I proceed to play until I finish the section, repeat once more it was dumb as all hell and then I'm good.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually turn off whatever I'm playing and walk, maybe go for a cigarette or get something to drink. Maybe go back to it later, or not. I do go running but I started doing that to help with more serious problems, just need a little break when it comes to game frustration.