How do you feel about the new wave of Members only video's?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Astras

It seems now every other video that I click I keep getting the "You are not a member, You cannot watch this you fcing dirty, scrounger.. you should give us your money so we can carry on playing internets together"

Seriously though, I refuse to give money to a website directly, but it definitely feels like the new range of vids such as:

• Reload our last save
  • Older game throwback

It's getting a bit dissapointing!

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

I think it's great.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

@Astras said:

I refuse to give money to a website directly

Found your problem.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Chop

Good.  

The first year subscribers totally got shafted and they put out nothing but garbage for members. Actually putting out content people want to watch is a huge plus. 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By imsh_pl
@Astras said:

Why are you getting disappointed exactly? Because a site doesn't want to give you additional free content? Why should they?
Avatar image for boxing_snatcher
Boxing_Snatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Boxing_Snatcher

I love them and am happy to pay for new content. Keep 'em comin' guys!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

you refuse to give them money, so we're supposed to fel sorry for you? People realise that you dont actually have to pony up 50bucks, you can just pay 5 bucks a month...its 5 bucks.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Astras

@imsh_pl said:

@Astras said:

Why are you getting disappointed exactly? Because a site doesn't want to give you additional free content? Why should they?

Quicklook throwbacks were free conent last year!

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Arebuckle

I think it's about damn time they gave subscribers something other than the Happy Hour. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind watching these myself, but I'm happy that the subscription is getting more worthwhile things.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Astras

@Rhaknar said:

you refuse to give them money, so we're supposed to fel sorry for you? People realise that you dont actually have to pony up 50bucks, you can just pay 5 bucks a month...its 5 bucks.

There's other way's sites make money, other than directly asking there fanbase for money from their wallets. And i'm not talking about Kane and Lynch 2 kind of strategies.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn

Hey, it's this topic again!

@Astras said:

"You are not a member, You cannot watch this you fcing dirty, scrounger.. you should give us your money so we can carry on playing internets together"

Blatant lie. If you care so much about the content you're not getting, pay for it. Or don't complain about it.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Astras
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By Little_Socrates

As a premium member? Love 'em.

As an objective viewer of the website's future? If the entire website became subscriber-only, I would not mind. This is a business. Just because it's a website doesn't mean it isn't one. I would argue that would be a poor business model to become sub-only, but I would not mind.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By quemador

Hey man, i don't know your situation or reasons for not subscribing...and i respect that, but don't come here complaining because you don't get free content that no other website can give you.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Red12b

@Astras:

Does it make you want to subscribe to watch them?

If so, they have completed in their goal,

I can confirm that they are really amazing features (I have a mate who is a member he downloads them)

I'm going to subscribe soon enough, I have bills to pay first.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Astras

@Astras said:

@RiotBananas said:

@Astras said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Astras said:

Sorry, can you point me to one of these Premium only Quick Look Throwbacks?

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-shenmue/17-1334/

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-chuchu-rocket/17-1340/

theres loads more

sorry i read it wrong

http://www.giantbomb.com/premium-load-our-last-save-brute-force/17-4987/

http://www.giantbomb.com/random-pc-game-baldurs-gate-ii/17-4978/

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By imsh_pl

I think it's great they are doing so much premium content now, it's because of it that I've finally gotten my yearly subscription last week.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mylifeforAiur

It's five bloody dollars! If I can get a debit card, anybody can get a debit card.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Astras
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I feel like I'm missing out, but it was my own choice to not subscribe (or well, if Giantbomb doesn't come up with a monthly sub payable by paypal its also a little their choice!) so I won't complain.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By NathHaw

@JoeyRavn said:

@Astras said:

sorry i read it wrong

http://www.giantbomb.com/premium-load-our-last-save-brute-force/17-4987/

http://www.giantbomb.com/random-pc-game-baldurs-gate-ii/17-4978/

Those are not Quick Look Throwbacks. Those are "Load Our Last Save" and "Random PC Game".

I posted this about a week and a half ago on a topic pretty much like this one:

The last six subscriber videos alone have three that could be reasonably considered QL's; they don't follow the tradition that well. I could go before the last six. Is the SNES party a glorified QL? Sure, it could be. It's six hours long and covers the gang playing various old games while sitting on the couch quipping with commentary and having a good time. It's more akin to a Happy Hour than a QL, but it's essentially a group of QL's. I hope that people will make a distinction for this type of content though; whether they want to pay for it or not, I'm not arguing.

That was posted before the latest batch of videos that havealso involved interaction with the GB crew and instruction by the users through the chatroom.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Astras

@dudeglove said:

@Astras said:

@RiotBananas said:

@Astras said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Astras said:

theres loads more

Those were to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the dreamcast, moron.

Thanks for the info, nice to see that you can hold back your anger and keep it civilized also.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vexxan

They're awesome and totally worth the bucks I sink into this website.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aishan

They actually encouraged me to subscribe. For the first year, I wasn't impressed by the free Happy-Hours that I saw, but since the Daggerfall and SNES-Party videos, it's actually been worthwhile to subscribe. I kinda feel sorry for the people who subscribed last year but got hardly any content specifically for them.

The "QL Throwback" comments about the latest videos may have a grain of truth to them, but quite frankly the alternative isn't that these videos would be free, it's that they wouldn't exist at all. They made them, as far as I know, as response to the survey they threw up about what people wanted from the site: more content. It's partially their own fault for labeling pretty much any gameplay video as a Quick Look from the start, but it certainly has given a few people entitlement issues - that any content, no matter how old the game, that consists of talking over gameplay footage should be free-for-all under a "Quick Look Throwback" header.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Elazul

I was kinda pissed off about them making their PAX panel members only but apart from that, I really don't care. None of the new subscriber content looks particularly great.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Astras said:

@RiotBananas said:

@Astras: Neither of those videos are called Quick Look Throwbacks. Those are 2 new features.

Quicklook throwback... looking at a random old pc game then?? simelar no?

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-stronghold/17-3828/

oh wow a quick look throwback with a pc game??

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-deus-ex/17-4676/

and another one??

Your argument is "they record gameplay videos"? Nice. LOLS and RPCG have a completely different goal and style from Quick Looks.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Astras

@dudeglove said:

@Astras said:

@RiotBananas said:

@Astras: Neither of those videos are called Quick Look Throwbacks. Those are 2 new features.

Quicklook throwback... looking at a random old pc game then?? simelar no?

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-stronghold/17-3828/

oh wow a quick look throwback with a pc game??

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-deus-ex/17-4676/

and another one??

If you actually bother to follow videogame news in the slightest, the Deus Ex quicklook (which, at the time had just been re-released on steam with a fancy HD-texture patch) was done right before the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Zero Punctuation did the exact same thing. It wasn't done out of some random whim. Also, a lot of the other PC quicklooks tend to very suspiciously appear whenever there's a Steam sale on at that exact moment.

Quit trolling already.

Really, if you see absolutely no similarity in the videos they have done before to the new members only random pc game format - such as :

• Mount and blade
  • Total war

etc etc

Then fair enough dude!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By imsh_pl
@Elazul: It was free for everyone, only it was divided into three parts for non-subscribers.
The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

@Astras said:

@dudeglove said:

@Astras said:

@RiotBananas said:

@Astras said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Astras said:

theres loads more

Those were to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the dreamcast, moron.

Thanks for the info, nice to see that you can hold back your anger and keep it civilized also.

That's how apologist are. When they see someone criticize their favorite web site, company, etc, they will act hostile on those who oppose what they're doing because they like to believe that they're no flaws at all.

Believe me, I've seen situation like this in the other web sites that I've been in, and the sad part is that mods don't do anything to those types of users. Having that guy calling you a "moron" was defiantly uncalled for, and should get modded for it.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By TwoLines

I payed for the membership last year for about half a year, and was REALLY bummed out. The Happy Hour was good, but nothing special. I'm really glad they changed things up. Now I'm happy to cough up some fivers on the site. The content is just THAT good. Website or not.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Levius

I think the content balance is about right. The coverage of current games and news is free as it will attract a wide group of people looking for coverage of that game/news, who aren't really attached to the staff or the site, and will earn its keep in ad revenue. Then the more niche stuff like last save is as much about the staff as the game, and so needs to be subsidised by member money, as its audience is limited to people who really follow Giant Bomb.

Personally I think the new stuff has already justified the money I paid, and has freshened up the site after the site had become a little stale in the couple of months before the snes party.

If your looking for a non member new segment check out the fear gauntlet, I literally put off watching the newest random ass pc game episode for a new fear gauntlet.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pickassoreborn

Keep those videos coming, they're great.

Videos.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Slaker117
@Aishan said:

The "QL Throwback" comments about the latest videos may have a grain of truth to them, but quite frankly the alternative isn't that these videos would be free, it's that they wouldn't exist at all.

This is the key. Premium content isn't stuff they would be doing anyway, but arbitrarily decided to put behind a paywall. It's content that was created explicitly for members. If you have a problem with that, well, too bad. Not an incredibly compelling response, I realize, but seriously, how is that unreasonable? It's not like they've lessened the amount of normal, free coverage.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StaticFalconar

I honestly don't care. Sure these vids would be fun to have, but as a non-subscriber I can see why they should dangle something to create the want in people to subscribe. Before it was the live shows on fridays which even they said didn't work out. So now they are trying something different. As long as they don't touch the core of giantbomb, being the bombcast, its all good.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprized if later on in the year when they do the block party, they somehow make it so that subscribers get in free, but non subs, gotta pay for admission.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Astras

@AmatureIdiot said:

I think the content balance is about right. The coverage of current games and news is free as it will attract a wide group of people looking for coverage of that game/news, who aren't really attached to the staff or the site, and will earn its keep in ad revenue. Then the more niche stuff like last save is as much about the staff as the game, and so needs to be subsidised by member money, as its audience is limited to people who really follow Giant Bomb.

Personally I think the new stuff has already justified the money I paid, and has freshened up the site after the site had become a little stale in the couple of months before the snes party.

If your looking for a non member new segment check out the fear gauntlet, I literally put off watching the newest random ass pc game episode for a new fear gauntlet.

KK, didn't realise that the paid content had run stale, I guess the paid users do need content to justify their sub. Yeah it just seems that running a model whereby they must provide levels of content for different types of users must be difficult, the subscriber model in certain way's just seems more trouble than it's worth.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By project343

@Astras said:

@Rhaknar said:

There's other way's sites make money, other than directly asking there fanbase for money from their wallets. And i'm not talking about Kane and Lynch 2 kind of strategies.

That's why they have their ad system.

Free? Get ads.

Hate ads? Pay.

And this new wave of premium content is some of the best that Giantbomb's ever pushed out. I think it's absolutely fantastic.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

They need to make money ... if they want people to pay for the site they have to offer something that uses the unique ressources of this site (the crew). So making members only videos seems great. Everything that was free still is free. And the new segments are NOT quicklooks.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Simplexity

People still fall for trolls that milk this subsciber thing?

Stop feeding the troll people.

If they actually cannot afford to pay the 5 bucks or whatever then they have bigger issues then the subscriber only videos on Giant bomb.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By DjCmeP

A non-premium member complaining about the quality of the premium stuff THAT HE HASN'T SEEN...yeah I totally see your point.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JoeyRavn

@The_LMFAO_Guy said:

That's how apologist are. When they see someone criticize their favorite web site, company, etc, they will act hostile on those who oppose what they're doing because they like to believe that they're no flaws at all.

Believe me, I've seen situation like this in the other web sites that I've been in, and the sad part is that mods don't do anything to those types of users. Having that guy calling you a "moron" was defiantly uncalled for, and should get modded for it.

Yes, people who bite the flamebait have to be punished, not the ones that start the trolling. Because this topic hasn't been created and discussed a myriad of times, and this specific thread adds a lot to the debate.

Amazing.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Astras

@JoeyRavn said:

@The_LMFAO_Guy said:

Yes, people who bite the flamebait have to be punished, not the ones that start the trolling. Because this topic hasn't been created and discussed a myriad of times, and this specific thread adds a lot to the debate.

Amazing.

Really, because I thought that the new content had just been recently released.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Just yesterday I was thinking: "Awesome, that stupid war seems to be over! The community is whole again!" - guess not, huh.

Unasinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Unasinous

I've been a paid subscriber since the day they rolled that option out. I love the Bombcast and really enjoy all the content Giant Bomb puts out. I've been listening to the podcasts since the HotSpot started forever ago. I pay the $50 to show my appreciation for everything they've done. I just see the premium content as a bonus.