How do you get a person who hates analog camera controls to learn to play newer games that use camera controls

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My sis stopped playing games and only plays those free ad phone games like bejeweled or candy crush. She use to enjoy crash bandicoot, mario, etc but can't get into the newer ones cause she finds them too boring to play past a few minutes. She put down Mario odyssey after finishing the tutorial with the frog. She said the controls are why she hates new games and no amount of explaining why most games use analog now will fix her stance. I cant get her to play long enough for it to click, and she finds ways to avoid using the camera, like just waiting till it auto fixes and running without seeing half the screen etc. It makes most games instantly feel bad and bore her. Its a catch 22.

Surprisingly, in the past, most reviews dealt with mentioning points off for bad cameras which were auto in the past, these days we never see that in reviews cause were in control, besides a few tight spaces etc.

Anyway. How did you manage to get someone like my sis to learn current-gen controls? Someone who grew up in the 90s with genesis and playstation but dropped off by the time xbox came out. I know its not a big deal but i think she misses out on some games she'd really enjoy. She likes assassins creed for example but must get the story through the movie in theaters cause she cant play the games. she won't even play most games now unless on phone and very few. She still likes games thou and is excited for crash 4.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SethMode

In the case of my wife...for the most part I just don't. She can handle an RPG like Dragon Age sort of, but even then sometimes she'll be so herky jerky she'll make herself a little sick. 3rd person games that require reflexes are mostly a no go, and ANYTHING first person is impossible for her.

So in other words, I look forward to hearing other solutions. I will say, she has a MUCH easier time with controlling the camera with a mouse (she played the Witcher 2 and 3 with almost know issues once she got the hang of them). It's just the console sticks that kill her.

insomniak08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: You don't. She doesn't like the controls and based on your post she has no interest in learning them. Let her play what she wants to play. It is an amazing age of video games with countless options that don't require someone to use an analog camera.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dual analog sticks are not exactly intuitive. A lot of people here have trained themselves to use them, but it's a pretty big hurdle for a lot of people to learn. I'd say let your sister enjoy the types of games she already enjoys. There's so many great games that don't require the use of dual analog sticks!

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of people don't realize how much of a high barrier gaming has, the simple controller may as well be a piece of alien technology to the average layperson. Anyone expecting billions of games buying into cloud gaming seems nuts.

Unfortunately learning will take a lot of time I would stick to 3rd person games that don't require quick reflexes so you can lower the camera sensitivity, the Switch would be a good start or something like the Spyro remake.

quasiconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, you can't force it. If she really wanted to play newer games, she'd figure it out. It sounds like she's just not that interested.

As for getting used to the controls, the thing that got my wife used to playing with modern controllers was playing co-op. She was pretty frustrated at first, but she eventually got the hang of it. Now she loves Borderlands (which is mostly what we play together). She's not much of a gamer otherwise, though, aside from some mobile stuff. She really has no interest in single-player games, but she enjoys the co-op experience enough that she was able to push through and become familiar with the controls.

So, in short, have you tried playing co-op with her, if she's open to that? Might be worth a shot at least.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quasiconundrum: I don't think she's entirely against newer games. She's willing to watch me play. She likes telltale especially. Which is nice since all i hear from most critics and big-time gamers, is that telltale topped out at walking dead 1. Their interest sways once the games got less...gamey. which was great for her, slightly bad for their community since most just watched online at that point...anyway tanget aside. She is interested in games just frustrated easily which leads to boredom and only about 1 to 2 minutes before she quits. She'll play a fighter for hours or a kart racer thou. IDK man maybe its a lost cause. Like trying to get a friend into something your sure fits their taste yet one barrier to entry makes it so they only get into it long after your able to see them liking it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Nodima

This sounds like an instance where I'd be really curious how much some of The Last of Us 2's accessibility features would help. Obviously that is a pretty mechanically dense game and as an able bodied in every way player I've only skimmed through them out of curiosity. A lot of the stuff, like re-orienting the controls so they mostly all work from the left hand, seem wild but it makes me think there's some kind of ideal combination of settings in there they had in mind for novice game-players both young and old.

I do recall specifically seeing something for the camera controls that said it was designed for people who have difficulty using both left and right analog sticks. They also have options to do lock-on aim, toggle aiming rather than hold to aim and all kinds of other things that would significantly cut back on the amount of time you're focusing on more than one task with more than one hand.

I'm not sure if it would help a player get used to / "better" at that sort of thing, but again I'd be super curious if it felt good to someone who thinks regular games feel kind of bad.

Also, I will say I dated a girl who was in her late 30s and had never really played video games beyond the occasional Mario or Sonic or whatever as a teenager and she had pretty similar issues with the dual stick controls. But I convinced her to play Until Dawn one October with the gimmick that she'd control the men and I'd control the women because the game would keep moving whether she succeeded or failed and we had a really, really great time with that. Since the stakes are pretty low and the cameras are somewhat fixed that might be a good game to give a shot, and with some stipulations as to who does what it's an easy game to swap controls and keep forward progress happening without necessarily feeling like you've "given up".

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: Thanks, last of us 2 gets hate but most overlook how great the customs are. They really wanted all to get an easy chance to experience the game. AI is even tailored to give more bullets in draws, spot you less, etc. The arrow where to go, environmental stuff, colorblind options, etc. I could go on. I think its still too hard for her but the slower intro pace is nice. Us gamers forget how those intros can ease new people into games even if we wanna skip to the good stuff.