How do you keep your controller squeeky clean?

cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By cancerdancer

I admit, my hands get clammy pretty easily. And because of this, I get that nasty dead skin gunk caught in the creases of my PS3 controller. Every now and then, I dig and scrape and URRR SO FRUSTRATING as much of that bullshit out as a I can, but no matter what, it's hopeless.

Any tips or do we all share this same frustration? I know they make those rubber condom things that go over your controller but that seems like a bit much.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By shirogane

Hasn't happened with my current gen consoles yet, but that happened wtih my ps2 controllers. Mainly around the analogs and the R and L buttons. I don't think there's any real way to keep it off. You just have to clean it constantly.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

Ewwww  :/ 

I have never had o clean a controller - ever.  They just sort of stay clean.  Sure, they lose their gloss over time, but that is it.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kelbear
@cancerdancer: 

Washing my hands regularly? Not eating while I play games?

Ewww man...
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@cancerdancer: Just make sure you wash your hands often enough, before playing games would be a good idea. I have a white DS3 and I never have to clean mine, it just stays that way naturally.

One peeve I have about controllers though is that they make the thumbsticks out of some sort of weak ass plastic. I always end up with grooves carved into the front of them through constant use, it doesn't really affect usability but it looks ugly.
cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cancerdancer
@gunslingerNZ: I've wanted to get a diff color controller but they're so damn expensive. 54 I think?
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@cancerdancer: Really? I imported mine because they took forever to be released here in New Zealand but I'm pretty sure I paid the same price as the regular DS3 at the time. Maybe look at importing if your local retailers are gouging you on the coloured ones.
SoftButtCheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SoftButtCheeks

I don't 

My white 360 controller is orange from the cheeto residue. It's also gets sticky from the ice cream sundaes I eat frequently.

snoopdye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By snoopdye

OP, I know what you're talking about. My brother does the same thing. It got so out of hand I told him to use only one of my 3 controllers. Said controller has since become nasty. One of the Bumpers doesnt work, an analog stick, well, sticks and every indent on the controller is filled with that dark gunk you've been talking about. He says its cus his hands get sweaty, and i think that's a factor, but also he probably doesn't wash his hands very often and plays after eating. I myself go out of my way to make sure my hands are clean before playing and after use I'll tuck my controller away from dust and such.  All I can say is clean it out frequently or it could ruin the controller buttons and sticks.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Usually I try to make sure my hands are clean before playing, though I tend to wash my hands very regularly anyway. Still, I just got a new 360 controller, and am loving how freaking white and pure it is. Despite the fact that I clean my controllers, there's a build-up of dirt in places I can't reach, like the words "Start" and "Back". I will cherish the cleanliness of my new controller, and the wonderful level of grip on the analogs, while they last....

cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cancerdancer
@TheGreatGuero:@snoopdye:@oldschool:  Well apparently I'm a gross slob! I think it's mostly my hands getting too sweaty but I'll be sure to wash my hands before I play and see if that helps.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shirogane
@cancerdancer said:
" @TheGreatGuero:@snoopdye:@oldschool:  Well apparently I'm a gross slob! I think it's mostly my hands getting too sweaty but I'll be sure to wash my hands before I play and see if that helps. "

That may help somewhat, but they'll still get dirty over a long time. 
Well, i only cleaned my ps2 controller once over the many years i've had it. Better than what you're having to do it seems. 

Also, i find that the Dualshocks/PS controllers are the only ones that really have this problem, other controllers don't seem quite so susceptible.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

No, however I keep my mouse and keyboard clean with alcohol.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I don't. Sweat gets stuck in the grooves. I get a toothpick every three months and dig it out.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By oldschool
@cancerdancer said:
" @TheGreatGuero:@snoopdye:@oldschool:  Well apparently I'm a gross slob! I think it's mostly my hands getting too sweaty but I'll be sure to wash my hands before I play and see if that helps. "
I am sure that isn't true.  I don't really get sweaty hands though - plus I live in a cool climate.  Get botox for your hands  :/
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FacelessVixen

I clean my 360 controllers with a damp cloth and an old tooth brush every once in a while.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PillClinton
@cancerdancer: use a toothpick for those creases.  works like a charm.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Cube

Toothpick or the edge of a knife works for that. 

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By zero_

Noobs, I just put a condom over my hands before playing games

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers