How does one play Minecraft in 2019?

lase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This probably seems like a dumb question, but any advice is appreciated. I bought the PC beta in 2011, and haven't really touched it since then. However, after seeing all the cool path tracing shader stuff, I wanted to dive back in.

However, I don't really know which version the community is behind - the windows store has all kinds of different editions, but for many years the mod/shader/texture pack support was obviously all behind the Java version. I can't get back into my Mojang account, or I would just do the Java version without thinking too hard.

Any thoughts?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

If you want to do any sort of modding, the original Java version is the way to go. The others don't have any mods at all. If you plan on playing with a controller, know that the Java version is the only one without controller support.

Also, when the C++ version came out on PC, I got that one for free because I already owned the Java version. If that offer is still available, you could look into that. You'd get the best of both worlds for free.

XackyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By XackyB

Bedrock has some significant benefits like controller support and cross play across PC, Xbox, Switch, PS4, and mobile. Personally I’ve switched mostly to Bedrock. But for mods Java is the way to go.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You go out into the forest and you punch some trees.