#1 Edited by KittenTactics (88 posts) -

As most people playing games are adults and young adults, most of us have been playing for long enough to not only develop habits, but have them change over time as well. For me, it seems to have been two big shifts that I keep noticing over the last few years specifically.

I used to be the kind of person who would constantly look through my games to see what I wasn't playing, so I could go trade them in ASAP and get some of that money back. It was really easy in 2009 to look at a copy of Fallout 3 and think "I could pay for half of the upcoming Uncharted 2 if I trade this in!". When the 360 was about to launch, I traded in two PS2s and all of my games to basically get a free 360. But years later, I was super sad that I no longer had those things to go back to and relive some memories. By the time I did, it was really tough to find a lot of that stuff in good condition. I got so crazy with trade-ins and used games that I have bought and traded in no less than five copies of certain games. I'd want to play it, buy it used, play it, trade it in, and repeat.

I was sick of having to hunt for non-ratty used games, and I was sick of throwing that money away. So in 2013 I made myself a promise. As of the PS4 launch, I have bought every single game I own new, and I have traded in zero titles. GCU at Best Buy made it really easy to drop Gamestop as my source of games entirely - I haven't been inside of a Gamestop in almost four years. I went from being Gamestop's absolute favorite kind of customer to not even a potential future customer. Knowing what we do about Gamestop and their business practices, it feels pretty good to say that.

Feeling Like I "Should" Play A Game

It's really hard to be an enthusiast about games and not feel like you're constantly missing out. Another big change I've made relatively recently is that I no longer want to play a game if the reason I am playing it is because I feel like I should. For instance, I'm finally admitting to myself that I just hate the way Rockstar games play. I've played GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, IV, V, Red Dead Redemption, and Max Payne 3. And I dislike all of them. But I keep buying and playing these games because they get so much hype, press, and praise that I feel like I have to be missing something. The problem was me, these were good games and I was wrong about them. No doubt these are insanely high-quality products...I just don't like them. I think they are super boring and while the worlds are beautiful and super detailed, none of the things they have you do in those worlds was any fun to me. I would much rather play Hyrule Warriors than Red Dead Redemption - and that's okay. Just play what you want to play.

The other part of this was getting over that feeling of being obligated to finish games that I start. Hey, I came around on The Witcher 3, I like Geralt and the stories and world - there's just too much of it. I got tired of playing the game about 25% through, but by that point I had had my fun with it. I put in a good 25 hours and I was okay walking away. I did the same thing with Horizon this year, I put in my time, saw what I wanted to see, and moved on to games I wanted to play. That turned out to be Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, two games I have finished twice before. It's tough getting over that feeling of "I have seen this content, I should consume the content I haven't seen", but what's the point if you're not enjoying it as much?

So those are my two big changes over the last few years. Anyone else in a similar boat? If not, how have your tastes/habits changed?

#2 Posted by StriderNo9 (1323 posts) -

Since 2006 I've finished so many more games than I had previously. This is mostly because of two rules I've used.

First, I try to invest as many hours as I can into my first session with a game. This usually gets the games hooks in me enough for me to want to finish the game.

Second, I've learned to put down games I'm not enjoying anymore without guilt because I know there is always something else I can be playing that I want to finish or at least try. In which case, I apply rule one above, to it.

On a sidenote; I now buy physical games for single player experiences in case I want to trade them in, and usually get everything else digitally. Not a hard rule but I notice my trending that way.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
#3 Posted by GunslingerPanda (5261 posts) -

I also used to trade in loads of games but just kinda stopped around the time of the Wii U launch as it started to feel like I wasn't getting my money's worth. Only things I've trade in since was about a month ago: Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, and Pokken because I have/will replace them with the Switch version, and World of Final Fantasy because it's fucking terrible, and this is coming from someone who still owns a copy of Star Fox Zero. I've thought about trading in Horizon Zero Dawn too lately but might keep it around in case I want to give it another chance and see if I can find what makes it so special to everyone else apparently.

That's another habit I could do with changing - forcing myself through bad games. There have been some real duds within the last year that I forced myself through that were looooong games. Horizon, Final Fantasy XV, and Persona 5 was a particularly long and grueling one. 100+ hours of self loathing and wondering if maybe I was wrong about Persona 3.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#4 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (7716 posts) -

Yes, I used to play games constantly and make my way through most new releases. I've kept a list of my completed games over the years and every year I complete considerably less games. At a certain point I realized I was playing through new titles out of an ocd obligation and not necessarily for fun. Nowadays I play what I want, when I want.

Also, I occasionally have a problem starting up new games, because I know I'll have to sit through the narrative conceit for however long before I can get to the video game part. I don't always feel that way, but it's one of the reasons I gravitate to something more like Overwatch nowadays.

#5 Edited by nicksmi56 (601 posts) -

Thanks to me being behind a console generation for several years, I've kicked my habit of needing to play what everyone else is playing. The used market is still going strong, and I'll eventually get to whatever it is. Probably at a cheaper price too. I'd rather go through my backlog and play the games I've already spent money on. So the only games I pre-order or buy new are the ones I'm really looking forward to.

I've also broken out into other genres. Back when I was a kid/pre-teen, it was either platformers or licensed fighting games. Nothing else mattered. The one deviation from this rule was Bioware RPGs as a teen. Now I'm playing JRPGs, SRPGS, character action games, Metroidvanias, etc. and I'm considering branching into farming simulators through Stardew Valley. Even my platformers have gone through changes. I never would've looked at classics like Mega Man and Castlevania years ago, but now I'm diving into both series.

Rather than forcing myself to play a certain game just because I told myself I would play it after the most recent game, I'll play what I feel like at the time. I've also started playing multiple games at once and swapping between them rather than playing one at a time and rigidly sticking to it.

Lastly, I'll 100% games like Metroid or Mario when my childhood self couldn't have cared less.

#6 Edited by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

I've lost patience for stories in games. Most do them badly. Skipping cutscenes has become kind of normal for me.

I've moved more and more towards mouse and keyboard and now seldom use a controller.

I usually skip around from game to game, for one that can keep my attention.

I've grown to dislike most upgrade systems and menus. I'd rather be playing the game than looking at options.

Open worlds in general aren't special to me anymore. I'm playing Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. So much of the game is speed runs. In the old game, the levels were designed as straight obstacle courses. In the sequel/reboot, you don't even know where you're supposed to run to get to the destination as the clock runs out. No, I'm not gonna use runner's vision. The tasks in the sequel are mostly mundane so far. Obviously, not all open worlds are bad. But a lot of them waste your time and feel dead.

#7 Posted by Slag (7915 posts) -

I've changed with the times mainly due to opportunities and price/availability of games

• I used to replay games a ton, often beating them several times before moving on and go for 100%s. As games have gotten cheaper these days I almost never make a second playthrough and often don't do 100%s anymore.
  • Related to this, I get distracted from what I'm playing now much more easily. If I set a game down for 4 days or more, often I'll never finish it because I'll get distracted by something else that's fresh to me in my backlog.
  • I used to rent a ton of games until buying used games became so cheap
  • I've switched to mainly digital purchases due to instant gratification and steeper sales that often make it cheaper than physical.
  • I used to only play new releases to mainly playing oldish games (2-3 years old) and multiplayer games
  • I used to play single player games 99% of the time, these days I spend about 50/50 in multiplayer and single player since I can find people to play with much more easily thanks to discord.
  • I've switched from being a console gamer to mainly a PC gamer.
  • I used to play a lot more genres than I do now. I rarely play racing games, sports games, shmups, beat 'em ups etc anymore. There are just so many platformers, RPGs, action adventure etc games these days that I don't have enough time to play what I want to in my favorite genres.
  • On a more personal note I used to play game pretty rigidly often grinding my way through games using basic strategies that I know I can execute (e.g. like picking warrior in games where I can pick a class). These days I try to experiment with playstyles out of my comfort zone.
#8 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

I've stopped my need to finish games and also stopped being interested in games I will only play once or not enough. It's odd, for most people it seems to work the other way around, but I am only investing my time in games I can lose myself into. I'd rather play 4 games a year that are extremely good and I will play for hundreds of hours (some of them anyway) than play 30 games a year, all superficially.

This year, Destiny 2 and XCOM 2 will get the vast majority of my gaming time. I will also put at least 200 hours into Andromeda (yes, I like that game). That's really all I need, though I do play some small games here and there still.

#9 Edited by theuprightman (155 posts) -

I don't play games for extended periods of time anymore, I used to play games for 7 or 8 hours at a time, now even if I have that time I can't play one game for more than 2 hours in any one day.

#10 Posted by Stonyman65 (3725 posts) -

I don't play as many games as I used to, partly because I don't have as much time anymore and patrly because I've lost interest a lttle bit. I used to play FPS games almost exclusively but these days I'm more into RPGs and Action/Adventure games. Generally I'd split my time 50/50 between Consoles and PC, but I haven't touched or even considered buying a console in almost 5 years. The last time I bought a physical copy of a game was GTA V back in 2013. I'm pretty sure that was the last console game I played, too.

#11 Posted by Ravelle (3006 posts) -

Yeah, until very recently I felt like I needed to complete games I bought before moving on.

I thought about it and really gave it some thought and decided no, I'll play what I feel like, when I feel like it.

#12 Edited by GuitarGod (134 posts) -

I pretty much only buy games that are highly rated. Before I just bought games that looked cool on the on the cover, but turned out mediocre. Saving a lot more money focusing on quality instead of quantity.

Because I only buy a few games a year, I try to complete each and every one, but if the game just turns to crap halfway I don't feel guilty dropping it and moving on. My time is more valuable than a game. Also buy mostly digital now, just way more accessible and the flash sales make it cheap.

Before i would buy one game and only play that game until I was finished, but these days I'd rather buy 2-3 games around the same time and just switch back and forth. Makes each game last a lot longer and I don't get burnt out on either.

#13 Posted by Pezen (2273 posts) -

While there's plenty of things that have changed over the years, I think my biggest most recent change is that I have more or less gone all digital on console. I was a pretty die hard physical media guy for consoles and even have a bunch of PS4 games on discs. But once I got a taste of that instant gratification of just getting it right away. Especially if I was in the mood for something after stores closed, it's just easier overall. I don't think it's all good though, because I have noted that by all games being easily accessed there's a bigger chance I won't sit with a game for an extended period of time before switching to something else. Also, at least here, digital isn't actually cheaper than physical.. quite the contrary. Unless there's a sale. So I am probably spending more money for the convenience.

I will say though that in regards to playing games I find myself being a lot more patient with games these days. I let them grow on me and learn the game a little more than I used to. It's probably why I actually finished Bloodborne. Yet at the same time, I ironically buy more games and jump to new games with such frequency that a game really need to sink it's teeth into me deep for it to really not be in the pile of "I'll get to it when I get to it" half finished games. But I am also fine with that being the case, which is also a change I suppose.

Definitely a lot more into slow moving story driven games than I used to be and I notice sometimes how after playing through a game like Telltale's Walking Dead or What Remains of Edith Finch that I don't always appreciate going directly back into more complex games, because I am in some 'tell me a story'-mood.

#14 Posted by BoccKob (471 posts) -

I have far, far less patience for games that waste my time. Story-focused games that have mediocre to garbage writing, games that exploit their own janky mechanics to kill you as a fun surprise to reset your progress, especially games with heavy repetition and grinding. Stuff like that is a developer saying, "you've given us money to waste more of your life. Haha, fucker!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#15 Posted by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

I have pretty much zero interest in playing Multiplayer games anymore. 2005 to 2012 I was in a gaming clan I had so much fun but now the clan is gone and there is no MP games that I like. Plus playing without them is just is not the same and not nearly as fun it feels impossible to hit that peak of MP games like MOHAA, BF2, CS:S, Bad Company 2, BF3. I doubt I'll ever get back into MP games again but I'm ok with that I always was a singleplayer kinda of guy anyways. But those clan days where so much fun I miss the hell out of them nostalgia can be very painful.

#16 Edited by Justin258 (15066 posts) -

Oddly enough, I have more patience for a decent grind these days. Sometimes I want to end the day doing something very familiar, so just turning on a JRPG or something and grinding out a level or two before bed is a great way to end the day.

Other than the obvious "I have more games and less time for them", I don't really know what's changed. I kinda just play games the same way I always have.

I see some people noting that they have stopped obsessively trying to finish every game. Which is funny to me, because I'd love to have that problem. Instead, I'll play a game halfway through and my mind will wander towards some other game I want to play. I'll pick it up, play ten or fifteen hours, and the same thing will happen again. This would be fine if the vast majority of games I have a high interest in weren't so damn long. Actually finishing one of those massive RPG's feels like a really great gaming accomplishment - not necessarily in terms of raw hours put in, but because I was able to keep my focus and energy and attention on one thing until it was done. I've gotten better about this, though - I went ahead and got a copy of Final Fantasy XII but I'm not jumping into until I've finished Prey, which I'm very close to the end of.

#17 Posted by BaneFireLord (3391 posts) -

Not that much has changed. I play a lot more types of games than I used to and more multiplayer (mostly as a way to stay in touch with college buddies) but there haven't been any significant changes to my habits. I still generally like the types of games I've always liked, with the notable exception of RTS games...I played almost nothing but RTS base builders for a good five years when I first started playing games but barely touch them anymore.

On the flipside, I somehow became a grand strategy fanatic without realizing it and have spent more time playing Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis in the past three years than most of the other games I own combined. I remember watching the CKII Quick Look back in 2012 and being baffled at how anyone could like a game that consisted solely of staring at a map. One ironic Humble Bundle purchase and five years later, I genuinely think that if it weren't for its interface and occasional bouts of weird jank CKII could very well be the greatest game ever made. Funny how that happens.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15183 posts) -

There's always the obvious "More money to buy games, less time to play them" thing that happens with the onset of adulthood. Still have time, but I've definitely had to sacrifice some other things that I like... like watching most Giant Bomb videos, for example. Having money actually has the direct side-effect of me playing far more games when they're relevant or new, and spending far less time playing weird old stuff... which is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because hey, the Zeitgeist is fun and it's fun to talk about the hip things when they're hip. Curse because there's some weird old stuff that I'd legitimately love to carve out time for when I have the chance. Which is my secret way of saying "I'm probably not going to play through Arcanum anytime soon, but one day."

It would be wrong to say I play fewer "long" games, because a lot of the stuff I've messed with this year has easily met or passed the 20 hour mark. However, I definitely have a lot less patience for the kind of boring padding that some sorts of games revel in. I'm playing through Horizon: Zero Dawn right now and basically only do the side open world-y open world stuff if it's directly in my path, because I could not give a shiiiiiiit about clearing out another disposable bandit camp using the exact same tactics I used on the first bandit camp. Grindy games are alright if the grindiness is fun in itself and I have podcasts to listen to, but a lot of the side activities in open world games simply aren't fun for me anymore.

I still have the general problem of dropping games after sinking a dozen+ hours into them, or dragging stuff out over the course of weeks if it doesn't hold my focus, but in general I think I'm better about finishing what I start.

#19 Edited by glots (3626 posts) -

I used to finish every game I got, back when I couldn't afford to buy every game in the market and I didn't have access to the internet. I also replayed something like GTA 3 and Hitman 2 a whole lot. Played way more online games with a group of friends too, 'till WoW put a stop to it.

These days I've got both time and money, but my interest definitely tends to drift between games, unless something really good manages to grab my attention. Even then I rarely come back to those great games after a playthrough, excluding when something new gets added via DLC or a patch.

#20 Posted by OurSin_360 (5818 posts) -

I play more games on pc now, i don't care much for story anymore when it used to be my main focus, and i care less about graphics and play mostly smaller and indie games now.

#21 Posted by TheWildCard (615 posts) -

1. The obvious "more money but less time" problem

2. Really do not care if I don't finish a game most of the time (there's too much other good stuff to experience to make myself spend time on games I'm not in love with)

3. Read a lot less reviews. Partly because there's a lot more resources now to get a firsthand look at what something plays like, partly because I've got a pretty good understanding what appeals to me. There's still a few I'll read just to hear a familiar person's opinion (reviews from Giant Bomb are rare enough I almost always at least skim them) but otherwise it's pretty rare to look one up unless the game falls within a narrow, on-the-fence level of interest.

4. Not longer feel the need to play something just because it's got good buzz. Back in the day there were fewer great games that playing all of the standout ones felt half obligatory. Now I know just because critics are raving about it, doesn't mean I'm going to like. Not that you shouldn't go outside your comfort zone occasionally, but if a game really doesn't look appealing I'm probably not going to enjoy it regardless of critical praise.

5. I've become less tolerant of bad writing over time. It's cliche that gameplay can outshine bad writing, but I find myself putting down otherwise good games if I think the writing is poor occurring more often these days. If you are going to have a story there better be some worthwhile aspects.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#22 Posted by SloppyDetective (1396 posts) -

I play way less online. Now htat me and my friends aren't all on the same schedule of get out of school at 3 it's harder and harder to come together online. I'm less inclined to play with randos, so I jsut don't play online as much.

#23 Posted by Seeric (302 posts) -

I think the main difference for me is I used to use guides for a lot of games, particularly RPG's, and now I prefer to go through games blind. I will say that this is at least somewhat due to games as a whole changing. A lot of games on the SNES and PS1 had sidequests, bosses, and even entire characters you could just miss out on forever if you didn't do some arbitrary thing at a specific point. These days, you don't see many games like Suikoden 2 or, worse, Final Fantasy 10-2 where something trivial will forever lock you out of getting the best ending without you even realizing it so I don't have as much of a compulsion to use a guide to make sure I'm not missing something.

#24 Edited by Sinusoidal (3604 posts) -

Well, I don't finish 50-hour JRPGs in a week anymore. More like one, 15-20 hour game a month if I'm lucky. I've also completely converted from console to PC. I can't see myself ever going back. I thoroughly expect once I've retired and my kid is grown up, I'll be back to playing 50 hours a week. Bwahahah!

#25 Posted by Drachmalius (245 posts) -

A few things have changed for me. I used to be really hesitant to try new series and IPs. There was a good stretch where all I played was stuff like Assassins Creed, Zelda, Mario, GTA...all the big ones I already knew from years past. Now I'm more willing to keep an open mind and jump into something new, like Overwatch last year.

I'm also much more into playing multiplayer only games than I ever was. It used to be that if it wasn't fun to play offline singleplayer, I wouldn't play it. Now I've logged tons of hours into online games and having a lot of fun with them.

I've basically realized JRPGs aren't for me for the most part. I love Persona games, but not much else in that space. They're just too long for me to commit to, I like single player games to top out at 20-30 hours unless there's a very good reason for it to go longer.

Everything else, my habits haven't really changed. I've just gotten to know myself and my tastes better over the years and can tell if something will be for me or not.

#26 Posted by avantegardener (2192 posts) -

I like short games, and games I can play with a cup of tea in my hand.

#27 Posted by TobbRobb (6361 posts) -

I used to love story based games, fantasy and RPGs in general. As a teen my game life was all Final Fantasy and Bioware with a dash of Jak and Daxter/Ratchet. For the past solid 5 years or so I've had no patience for that stuff. Almost entirely transitioned into only playing action games and multiplayer games. I still buy a decent bit of RPGs, maybe just from nostalgia. But I only extremely rarely get around to any.

My habits haven't changed much though, but that goes further than just games. I'm just a natural hot/cold enthusiast. I will binge a game/book/tvshow for like 30h in 3 days, and then I just won't touch it for a week. Always been like that. When I read a ton of bad fantasy I'd chew through a book in a day most of the time.

#28 Posted by StrikeALight (1240 posts) -

The general trend in my habit tends to buying more, and playing less.

#29 Edited by Jaalmo (1672 posts) -
  • I don't enjoy online multiplayer games anymore. That used to be my bread and butter but now it's something I do very occasionally. The industries obsession with eSports ruined it for me. Every publisher wants to have a competitive scene these days, even Nintendo. And then you got the loot crates, supply drops, blitz packs and the bullshit involved with that. Instead of unlocking with objectives and the feeling that you've earned it, you basically grind hours and hours until you get the thing you want. Nope.
  • I don’t binge games. I used to play quite a lot but now it’s in short bursts of an hour a day. Only exceptions to this is if I’m playing with friends and big single player games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.
  • I used to take achievements very seriously. I boosted for them, I spent hours grinding them and boy that was a waste of time. I still have some of that obsession in me but not as much as I used to.
  • Buying literally every game out there on release. I learned the value of money when my father died, who used to just throw money my way. I got a job shortly after that and then I was like, huh… shit. So I very much make sure the games I buy are the games I want play and worth the money their asking. I do miss being involved in the launch of a big game, the hype and discussions around it but I’m glad I avoid shit-fests like Andromeda at the same time.
#30 Posted by Creme (318 posts) -

I don't strive for the hardest difficulty as often, especially as "insane" difficulty levels became more prevalent.

I don't do 100% as often.

Favoring linear games over open world.

#31 Posted by hermes (2452 posts) -
  • I hardly replay games anymore.
  • I had grown against "big expansive" games. If a game boast about the size of the world, or the countless hours of content, my mind drifts to "that is a game I will never play".
  • I now prefer games with small bite-size chunks of investment than games with hours long missions and cutscenes.
  • I have grown accustomed to the idea that, if a game does not grab me in the first few hours, I will just delete it and never look back.
  • With very few exceptions, I don't buy games at launch.
#32 Posted by afabs515 (1973 posts) -

I'm 24 working a corporate job, so over the last few years, I've gone through the fairly typical "more money, less time" dilemma. My tastes have also shifted a bit. Things I've noticed are:

• I don't wait for sales; I buy everything Day 1. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. If a game is getting good reviews, my default thought process is "Eh, I'll play it eventually. May as well buy it now." I should probably change that.
  • My average total playtime on individual games has decreased dramatically, and is probably less than 10 hours on any given game with rare exceptions (like Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild)
  • I'm really not interested in most new IP. I would be way happier playing the millionth Kingdom Hearts game (which is gonna be 3 apparently!) or Assassin's Creed than a great game in a new series. I think it's because I have emotional investment in the stuff from my childhood and I find it difficult to really care about new characters/storylines.
  • I care way more about stories in games now than anything else, most notably gameplay. Visual novels have become my favorite kind of games. The announcement of a new Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, Danganronpa, etc. makes me excited, while an announcement for a new open world game or shooter that pushes the genre forward doesn't matter so much to me anymore
  • In high school, I loved online multiplayer. Now, I never play anything online.
  • I've become more interested in hearing what other people think about games over the years.
#33 Posted by elmorales94 (342 posts) -
  • I stopped trading in games halfway through last gen. I just ran into too many instances of "man I should play... Oh wait I traded that."
  • I don't check FAQs anymore, I look up YouTube clips. That's just a sign of the times.
  • Now, as an adult with disposable income, I feel more obligated to play games I may not enjoy in order to remain in the loop. My rule is this: if two of the three outlets I follow have glowing praise for something, I'll play it. This is where stuff like Nier fits.
  • I don't feel compelled to chase platinum trophies even in games I like. Don't get me wrong, I have 180 hours sunk into P5 nd I'm planning another playthrough to get to 100%, but that's because it's one of the GOATs. Stuff like Oxenfree, though, I can't convince myself to run back.
  • I play multiplayer now. My brother and I both have the same console for the first time, and I've sunk 100+ hours into an MP game (Overwatch) for the first time.
  • I used to care solely about story and visual design in games, but now I'm starting to put more weight on mechanics. Persona and Horizon are great examples of already good games elevated by tight controls/UI.
  • This is the most upsetting change: I'm not in college living in a house with 9 of my closest friends anymore, so couch co-op and Jackbox games are no longer a factor. These are some of the best experiences in games and I'm sad to be past the point in my life when they were abundant. I'd trade all 110 of my hours in BotW for just one hour of cracking a cold one with the boys to some Ultimate Chicken Horse.
#34 Posted by PSdualwielder (14 posts) -

I'm leaning towards the "I'm too old for this shii" camp but I also try not to let those voices take over, because I work in game dev and I grew up playing video games.

The best time I think I ever had was in high school where I played absolutely everything on the ps2 and played them to the end. These days I'm extremely nitpicky, still buy the occasional good picks on steam sales and whatnot, but only play them a little(1 hour into hyper light drifter lol) because I don't feel bad about the small amount of money I wasted, and rarely buy AAA games full price save the occasional major hits like Horizon Zero Dawn. Also I play zero multiplayer in most games, only mp I've done is the occasional few rounds of overwatch. I just like getting a high quality story-driven experience and then sit on that until the next big thing comes along.

Quaity >>>>>> Quantity for me

#35 Posted by shorap (260 posts) -

It's hard to ignore the zeitgeist for games (I got sick of P5 towards the last 20 or so hours but powered through because it's what the community was playing). I find myself buying the latest Yakuza every time one comes out even though I never get that far into one.

Same with bloodsouls games. I gave up on LoF, The Surge, and Dark Souls 3 and feel that I'm good on that genre. At least at full price.

As far as what's changed in my gaming habits. Pretty much everything to certain degrees over the years with the only constant being that I don't keep old consoles/games.

This has bit me in the ass on occassion but I just don't like clutter. I don't need to keep something if I'm not gonna use it often. Besides, while it's not perfect, there's always digital options for old games if I ever get that itch.

Lastly, a change that is worth mentioning for me is my increasing interest in shorter games that have good replayability. Games with a non-invasive story, decent amount of content and progression, but that can be repeated a la Diablo-type games, PUBG (If I have a better pc), various indie titles.

I'm long past sick of this gen being all open world games all the time. I'm sick of checklist activities, and in sick of games having too much padded narrative that fucks with pacing.

#36 Posted by Slaps2 (619 posts) -
@shorap said:

It's hard to ignore the zeitgeist for games (I got sick of P5 towards the last 20 or so hours but powered through because it's what the community was playing). I find myself buying the latest Yakuza every time one comes out even though I never get that far into one.

Same with bloodsouls games. I gave up on LoF, The Surge, and Dark Souls 3 and feel that I'm good on that genre. At least at full price.

Yeah, I really understand the feeling of wanting to be current with everyone else, but I think it's an artificial way of thinking. For me it's like a werid sort of OCD. I have it so bad though, that I don't just ant to keep up. I wan't to have played an entire series. Needless to say, my Final Fantasy journey is years from finishing and I am a crazy person for even trying. I'll play through a game I'm not enjoying at all just to get to it's better sequel.

I also really like well written story driven games without sequels, but that has a lot to do with the whole zeitgeist phenomenon and feeling the need to keep up. I'm increasingly less likely to play a game with sequels or a bunch of add-on DLC or exclusive content for exactly that reason. Feels less like a piece of art and more like a marketing tool made by some guy in a suit who never even plays or understands games.

Other than that, I find myself being able to better enjoy game genres that used to really stress me out. Hated horror and RTS games when I was younger, but I'm starting to like them.

#37 Posted by stantongrouse (55 posts) -

It's weird I've changed habits and then changed back. As a nipper I tended towards, short, wrapped up in a few days, length games. Mainly as in the early 80s most games were like this, those damn tapes just couldn't hold that much. Then with the PlayStation 1 and 2 years through to the 360 the long haul game took over my life - thankfully university and dead end jobs allowed me the time to do so. Now adulting has chopped all that free time up so I am most back at where I started with a game I can wrap up in a weekend or over a couple of evenings. I think I played through Fallout 3 four or five times, I only got 15 hours into Fallout 4 before I realised I just couldn't commit. If there's a platformer out there that's five hours long though, I am all over it.

#38 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7015 posts) -

I think it is mostly about what I like to play and what I no longer like to play; there are just not enough time to play the games that don't work they way I think they should. I think 20 years into getting back into consoles I am a little less willing to put up with games that do not work well. I play enough games and seen enough gameplay to know what is possible, so games that don't work teh way I want I skip.

#39 Edited by Marcsman (3718 posts) -

Owning a home has really put a dent in my playing time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#40 Posted by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

I got a PS4 today I haven't owned a console since the PS2 mostly been gaming on PC for the last 12 years. PC is still my primary source for third party games and VR but it's nice to finally play some Sony exclusives the best of both worlds. Also waiting for GTA 5 to come PC for two years and half was awful never again am I going to wait that long for a game looking forward to playing Red Dead 2 next year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aa7cc9892e50
#41 Edited by deactivated-5aa7cc9892e50 (15 posts) -

Stopping Myself From Impulse Buying!

It's been happening more within the past few years, I've been buying less video games because I was a terrible person of just buying anything out of impulse rather than just thinking it over am I going to be playing this soon rather than later. Also helped that recently I cleared out all the games that honestly I will not be playing ever or anytime soon.

Back in late 2015 I purchased an Xbox One because a "friend" said they would like to play online games with me. Games such as Halo Master Chief Collection, Rainbow Six Siege, and Halo 5. Well once I acquired my Xbox One with Halo MCC and Rainbow Six Siege as well buying Xbox Live Gold they only played with me two times out of those two years I had my Xbox One. Granted I had genuine fun times on my Xbox One with Killer Instinct whether it was by myself or online (as well buying a $200 fightstick), but I literally bought an entire system that costed me a lot of money just to only play with that person twice! When I could have just simply been more smart and selfish about it to just invest less money on something I would have been much happier with, a Wii U!

I sold my Xbox One earlier this year back in January and I got a Wii U with a Pro Controller and some games for very cheap, I can oddly say I had more fun playing on my Wii U for these few months than I did on my Xbox One for 2 years in comparison. Never again will I do that for anyone else, I will be buying my consoles and my games just for me!

#42 Edited by Craigieboy (61 posts) -

The main thing for me is being motivated to finish games. I find that I seem to be more drawn to games that offer short bursts of fun rather than epic single player stories to get stuck into. When I was younger I could happily sit in front of the TV for several hours playing through big chucks of games but now even after one hour I feel like I need a break or want to play something else.

Also this probably applies to most of us but being older I feel I am a lot more critical of the games I play compared to the games of my youth. I think I'm not alone when I say there are games from my childhood which I thought were great but playing them as an adult today is a different experience altogether. Not every game is like this but for sure some of them feel almost like completely different games to when I played them as a kid. I'm willing to bet that if I was my kid-self today I would probably enjoy a lot more games than I do right now.

#43 Edited by dpedal1 (227 posts) -

For me as I enter my 30s, am married and have three kids, I don't do 100%. I wait on purchasing systems and games (exception was the Switch, Zelda was just too tempting :)) I have actually also found myself knocking the difficult down a level (one under normal) I am now looking more to the experience than the challenge.

#44 Edited by GERALTITUDE (5968 posts) -

The release of SFV began what is nearly my longest one-game dedication in my life, which is interesting as I'll be 30 next year. Not what I expected.

Growing up I had played all genres, on all platforms, usually jumping pretty quickly from one thing to another. Some games would stay relatively "ever-green" (civilization, XCOM) and I would return to them periodically. But the bulk of my gaming was moving from big AAA or indie game to another.

When game prices shot up in Canada, and my income simultaneously dropped, buying new games instantly became impossible. I'm just not that target market anymore. Since my PC has been dead some time, I also no longer have access to the many games in my Steam library, nor have a desire to buy any more at this time. Just can't figure out when I'd be able to afford a new PC now. I have a Mac from work, but, compatibility is low.

In short:

- Used to be a mixed-platform generalist, very up-to-date on major current releases

- Currently dedicated to SFV since its release. Have 1 or 2 other games on the go that I play very slowly. Right now that's Zelda and FFXII for me. I also only play games on PS4 now, with a few rare exceptions on Mac (Tyranny for example).

- Why does SFV / fighting games appeal to my current game playing habits?

1. You can play short or long sessions, and you have total control of when to stop (no need to wait for a save point, checkpoint, etc)
  2. The basic depth of any FG means an average player like me will need literal years to learn all the characters at even a basic level
  3. The periodic updates definitely help I think to shoot lifeblood into something and give you that little spark to check out new things and see how old things changed
  4. You go through a rather constant, obvious learning loop. You train, learn, practice and get better until you hit a wall. You struggle at that wall until you break through it. Every character MU presents a number of walls to you, and so while you may be struggling vs X you will be ascending vs Y. This incremental sort of learning has an instrument style feel to it, where there really isn't an end. Just improvement. Or, at least, the end is so far away "Improvement" feels like the only plausible result. One of the "weaknesses" of non-fighting games can be how fast you hit your skill ceiling, than have no where to go.
  5. Against my own assumptions, I've become more social as I get older. The part of watching tournaments with the GB FGC, playing in online tournaments, and now going to locals and meeting players there is just really awesome. I recommend it!
#45 Posted by flagranterror (69 posts) -

I went through a period in my mid 20s where I was buying games because they looked good and then I never really got around to playing them. Now that I'm 30, my game playing has gotten a lot more deliberate. I make much more of a conscious effort to finish games, even if I don't 100% care for them. I know what I like and don't like more, so even if a game is OMFG ROFL THE BEST GAME EVAR!!!11! if I know I won't like it I'll pass on it.

The games I look to purchase now tend to have definitive start and finish points, so I don't get into too many open-world games. If a game starts feeling too much like work, I invariably put it down. This is a huge problem in The Witcher III; even though I really want to like it, the amount of "care and feeding" required to maintain your character is too much like a job to make the game be fun. See also: No Man's Sky. A game can have a lot of depth without being overbearing (Diablo III), I don't really have time to be chasing around herbs and dealing with over 9,000 different ingredients.

For whatever reason I like playing board games a lot more now.