User Lists: 17

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I wasn't here when this all went down, but from what i know, John Ricciardi and Mark MacDonald used to work as game journalists in the US so i imagine there was some sort of friendship between GB folk and these guys. Then they moved to Japan to work there, and started a game podcast that needed a place to be hosted. GB was in the business of podcasts and decided to give them a spot on their site.

FRANZlSKA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

They go over it a bit at the top of the first episode hosted on-site. It sounds like a combination of 8-4 looking for a new place to host a podcast at the time, both sides seeing an audience/mentality overlap, both having an interest, and there being past connections with some of the staff on each end.

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By sometingbanuble  Online

8-4 became a little too shill-like when they promoted Tetris effect. They also promote their other games or reveal they worked on something that they’ve been glowing about.I know ethics is a vestige of the past but they should know better.

Podcasts were at some point another form of journalism. Very few ethical people left on podcast. I think print is kind of the last place that you can expect truth because you can’t handwave everything since there are editors and the standard of printing retractions. That’s all probably because of the threat of a lawsuit. Everything else is just the Wild Wild West.

Mark is too overbearing and the only good thing to listen for is when others are right and they “allow” mark to feel like he won. Podcasts have all just become a group of randoms googling something. Or, not googling something and just saying “I heard,” impossibilities. Or “I remember,” other impossibilities like Sonic on an NES.

Giant bomb is kind of the only podcast. I trust Jeff G to steer the ship and literally nobody else on Apple Podcasts. He is the gold standard. Period.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By myke_tuna

I believe John Ricciardi worked at GameSpot and/or Ziff Davis (which was GameSpot's parent company at some point) and thus, formed a relationship with Jeff Gerstmann. Mark MacDonald used to work for 1UP and EGM back in the day (huge fan of The 1UP Show here) and both of those were under Ziff Davis as well. Not sure how the timelines line up, but even if Mark never worked when GameSpot was still under Ziff, game journalists seem to establish a kinship with each other over time since they attend events together as press. For example, I remember Brad Shoemaker mentioning other game journalists and other people mentioning Brad in their podcasts sometimes. I always thought that was neat.

Anyway, I'm not sure when the split happened, but at some point, GameSpot was not under Ziff Davis anymore. This was when I came across the two sites as a teenager. I would listen to The HotSpot and watch On the Spot at GameSpot and listen to 1UP Yours and watch The 1UP Show at 1UP.com (and read EGM). Eventually, after the two fellas were at 8-4, and Gerstmann created Giant Bomb, it all came full circle and the podcast was hosted on Giant Bomb.

I have a feeling the prior existing relationship between John, Jeff, and Mark (and anyone else involved) and the fact that they both were doing their own things now led to the podcast being hosted here. I have to admit, I've never listened to an episode of 8-4 Play, but I thought it was cool when it happened.

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Anybody know what they're saying at the beginning. yi-ma-sha-mi-say? You'd think that they'd kind of revist what they're saying. Kind of like how Waypoint never visited why they chose the track "miss you.' I think 95% of the podcasters just record without any regard to their audience.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody know what they're saying at the beginning. yi-ma-sha-mi-say? You'd think that they'd kind of revist what they're saying. Kind of like how Waypoint never visited why they chose the track "miss you.' I think 95% of the podcasters just record without any regard to their audience.

Irrashaimasse

My very, very, veeeeery basic understanding of Japanese from high school translates it as a kind of 'welcome to my store' style greeting. If you've ever gotten the chance to play a game set in Japan where you go to a convenience store, you'll get greeted with this. I know it the stores in Yakuza and Persona do this if you'd like a very clear clip of it.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy
@sometingbanuble said:

8-4 became a little too shill-like when they promoted Tetris effect. They also promote their other games or reveal they worked on something that they’ve been glowing about.I know ethics is a vestige of the past but they should know better.

Podcasts were at some point another form of journalism. Very few ethical people left on podcast. I think print is kind of the last place that you can expect truth because you can’t handwave everything since there are editors and the standard of printing retractions. That’s all probably because of the threat of a lawsuit. Everything else is just the Wild Wild West.

I don't see it as unethical to be excited about a game that was produced by someone on the show itself. As long as they're not hiding their own involvement in it, everyone stumbling hundreds of episodes into a niche game podcast will know what's up and that we're hearing coverage of a game from people that are invested in this thing being successful. There's nothing shady happening in the background at that point.

Just like it's totally understandable that Jeff would bring up playing Rumbleverse on the bombcast a few times because his friend Dave Lang is involved with that thing, eventhough Jeff typically doesn't care for similar games like Knockout City or Ninjala.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i mean its not like most ppl listening don't know they're a game translation company located in japan so of course theres going to be some bias :/ .. as for why 8-4 play is on here idk it was already here when i started coming to the site , jeff has mentioned the dudes on it in a few podcasts over the years n 1 of them ( its been a while so i can't recall who) even guested on bombcast years ago so i assumed they were friends. i don't find any of it unethical long as ppl are up front about their connection to things and given 8-4 works on translation sometimes its just a given but last i listened ( its been a couple years ) they usually say if they've worked on something.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Disclosure is absolutely the key part. As long as someone discloses their personal/professional relationship to a project, there is no issue. We can get into a lot about how games journalism has turned into a very murkey grey area but this is not that. Its very much like when Giant Bomb documented the development of Bastion. It was made very clear that they were intimately tied to the project and prefaced discussions about the game with that info.