How is Jeff going to feel when Gears 5 turns into a linear, cinematic, story heavy, action adventure game?

Hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know Gears ain't exactly hot topic nowadays but with Jeff (Gerstmann)'s disinterest in games like RDR 2, GoW, Uncharted 4 and TLOU over the years it got me thinking. I can't help but wonder how he will feel about Gears of War 5 most likely taking this the same approach?

I guess what differs between Gears and the other titles, and this is an advantage in Gears' favor is that Jeff actually likes that universe and has an interest in the world/characters/story whereas he never liked Uncharted or God of War ever.

The Gears 5 trailer does heavily hint at a narrative heavy direction. Will he like it? It just piqued my curiosity, maybe this'll be the game that breaks the curse for Jeff. I expect this thread to be littered with "lol Gears has a story?" and "there's a Gears 5 coming out"

Idk, it's the conclusion I came to when trying to think of the AAA games coming out in 2019 that Jeff is actually interested in. DMC 5 is the only other title I think.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Wait, there was Gears of War 4?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nutter

I’ve really liked every Gears game. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Gears 5 will be a Gears-ass Gears game.

Expect horde, multiplayer, and a story-heavy campaign featuring at least 2-player co-op throughout. Expect set pieces and lots of cover shooting and gross baddies. Expect 1-2 take-em-or-leave-em tear-jerker-styled moments.

I’ll absolutely check Gears 5 out, but I’m frankly more interested in their turn based strategy take. I really hope that’s 1) cool as hell, 2) employs some cool story beats, and 3) incorporates a co-op campaign and some sort of horde mode.

And yeah, dig it or not, Gears has always been story-heavy. I like the line they walk that’s kinda 80s action film-ish. I think it lets them do some cool over the top shit and some melodrama that doesn’t hit for everyone and largely get away with it. It totally works for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

Wasn’t Gears always just that? It’s an extremely linear, story heavy third person shooter. You go from arena to arena and then watch a cutscene. Gears most differentiates itself from other third person shooters in the multiplayer deatmatch because of how players adopted the stiff cover mechanics and warped then into some sort of modern day bunny hopping - and apart from Horde Mode Jeff doesn’t like the multiplayer.

Hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hello505

@nutter: If Gears 5 is another Gears ass Gears game, the series is dead. It needs a moderate to major overhaul. Anyways, The Coalition have already said that Gears 5 will be a big departure for the series.

Also, Jeff likes Gears largely for its campaigns. The Horde mode is just icing.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference between gears and the games you mentioned is that gears actually plays well.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...hopefully good, I guess? Questions like these are always kinda odd and personal.

If I happen to get another really cheap month of Game Pass around the time it comes out, I'll probably try it. Otherwise I doubt I'll touch it, based on how Gears 4 felt so incredibly boring. Third-person shooter with big guns and monsters should be an easy choice for me and I even had a decent time with the first three, but I just didn't care about any of the characters and the cover-based shooting felt really sluggish.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hello505: If it’s more of the same and dies, I’ll be happy that it went out as it did. I love that core gameplay and the world is fun.

If it’s a new and interesting direction, cool. Maybe I’ll dig that.

Not super concerned either way.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Why don't you ask him?

I mean, my mind reader is out of batteries, so it's hard for me to guess. :P

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gears games seem to prefer gameplay/feel over anything else, it feels great to play and it's snappy. It doesn't put animation infront of gameplay which is why you can slide 5 feet across the floor to bump into cover. Jeff seems to like this approach.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Man, I played so much Gears 1 until the shotgun rolling came into play. Gears 2 had that (what I found brilliant) mechanic where gunfire makes forward momentum nearly impossible, and I played a ton more.

They gave into the masses and made the game about cover bunnyhopping and shotgun rolling again from Gears 3 onward...

I still dig the campaigns and love horde, though.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would guess he wouldn't care, if a person likes whatever game and it's more of the same they keep the same opinion. I never really cared for Gears it felt too dude bro and cheesy for me. I always wanted to like it and I did try. I had to force myself to finish the first game. My friends enjoyed horde mode, but it just always felt pointless for me. I wanted unlocks or some form of reward.

Hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: Gears isn't really dudebro anymore. Gears 4 at least didn't feel like that.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hello505: Yeah, Gears 4 did the Kombat Kids thing, and did it pretty well.

JD (Marcus’ son) and his friends are less lunkheads than the Marcus crew. The old guard is still all in that game, and appear to be in the Gears 5, too, but they aren’t the point of focus.

I do like that Gears 4 was maybe a stealth intro into Cait as a new protagonist (assuming as much from the Gears 4 story and the Gears 5 E3 trailer). It’d be cool if they had her as the lead for 5 and 6 to wrap-up a second trilogy.

I find the new characters a little bland. I think the throwback to dudes-who-could-be-in-Predator from the older Gears games requires less work to realize as they’re kinda cartoon characters. So I’d really love to see those new characters get nice arcs. Cait clearly has the most potential at this point.

Luis145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: I sincerely felt kait a detestable character. during the first chapters I liked it a lot because it was something different that I felt the saga needed.

But then it started to seem annoying. He cried during almost the whole campaign for his mother, and even presented a very selfish and aggressive attitude towards others (when JD told him that millions would die if they did not contain the swarm she did not care).

JD seemed quite boring in terms of design but his attitude was somewhat more "mature". He swallowed his pride and asked Marcus for help, had to deal with jinn, help kait and cared that the swarm did not cause chaos.

But if what new players respect. all were loose

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Gears games seem to prefer gameplay/feel over anything else, it feels great to play and it's snappy. It doesn't put animation infront of gameplay which is why you can slide 5 feet across the floor to bump into cover. Jeff seems to like this approach.

He also likes how feature-rich the mainline games are and seems to like all of the characters but the best one.

I mean, Judgment gameplay is snappy as fuck.